Page 20 of 234 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Wanda's ability to teleport wasn't tied to the Life Force anyway. It was explained years before that it was tied to her being a Nexus Being. She could also levitate well before that. But it could've always been tied to something else. Like the In-Betweener or something. I don't think that one was ever explained. She just could sort of suddenly do that and fly.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Wanda's ability to teleport wasn't tied to the Life Force anyway. It was explained years before that it was tied to her being a Nexus Being. She could also levitate well before that. But it could've always been tied to something else. Like the In-Betweener or something. I don't think that one was ever explained. She just could sort of suddenly do that and fly.
    Didn't Rage of Ultron explain, Wanda's flight is due to her using her Chaos Magic/Probablity to affect Gravity?

Didn't Wanda also fly twice before--the first time I ever saw her do that--in the first Avengers run?

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Images have been fixed
    Ah, there they are. Thank you very much.
    Very nice to have high res pictures. The quality of the Figures looks real good, astonishing for that price! Only quarrel that I have is that for Magneto as alternate an “angry Face” I’d rather have the second head with his Helmet removed. I Do like that Quicksilver has his “lighting” symbol rather than the “fast forward” Symbol he did had the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Probability010 View Post
    Ah, there they are. Thank you very much.
    Very nice to have high res pictures. The quality of the Figures looks real good, astonishing for that price! Only quarrel that I have is that for Magneto as alternate an “angry Face” I’d rather have the second head with his Helmet removed. I Do like that Quicksilver has his “lighting” symbol rather than the “fast forward” Symbol he did had the last few years.
    If you got the Recent Maganeto figure, you would have an unmasked helmet. I am slightly disappointed with the pack when I first heard the descriptions, when then said 90's costumes, I was hoping for Late 90's Pietro and jean Grey Wanda. Still the pack does look really good.

Didn't Rage of Ultron explain, Wanda's flight is due to her using her Chaos Magic/Probablity to affect Gravity?
    I never read Rage of Ultron, but there were times she flew before Disassembled even happened. With Wanda it could always be several things. It usually seems to depend on the writer. But they give her power ups and downs depending. It definitely wasn't Life Force though.

If you got the Recent Maganeto figure, you would have an unmasked helmet. I am slightly disappointed with the pack when I first heard the descriptions, when then said 90's costumes, I was hoping for Late 90's Pietro and jean Grey Wanda. Still the pack does look really good.
    I just want a figure, any figure of Wanda in her current costume. It's weird that it hasn't happened yet. They either do her second comics costume, or the movie stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Didn't Wanda also fly twice before--the first time I ever saw her do that--in the first Avengers run?
    Yes, in Avengers #153 the splash page has her flying. Gerry Conway was new to the title (and didn't last long) so either he didn't realize Wanda couldn't fly, or didn't catch the artist (John Buscema)'s mistake.

About a year later a different writer/editor team gave Wanda a thought balloon explaining that in that issue she was testing an "experimental flying belt" created by Tony Stark, but it didn't work properly so she can't use it any more.

Last edited by gurkle; 02-18-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yes, in Avengers #153 the splash page has her flying. Gerry Conway was new to the title (and didn't last long) so either he didn't realize Wanda couldn't fly, or didn't catch the artist (John Buscema)'s mistake.

About a year later a different writer/editor team gave Wanda a thought balloon explaining that in that issue she was testing an "experimental flying belt" created by Tony Stark, but it didn't work properly so she can't use it any more.

Yes, that is the panel exactly! Thank you gurkle!

Oh, that explanation is funny because the box to the side above states her powers bought her there, and definitely, those circles around her outstretched hands was the "hex visual" at the time that they used for Wanda's powers.

Wanda also most likely flew back to Avengers mansion after being shot in the arm after that pic in the story arc. When she arrived, she used a hex sphere (hex hemi-sphere) to explode the wall to enter the Mansion.

I always thought it was just one of the many and rare outcomes of Wanda's hex powers, although rarely to never? Did she ever cast a hex on herself.

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

Aside from the just mentioned case that was explained away by that “Experimental Flying belt”, the only other occasion before “Avengers Disassembled” I am aware of is her levitating in the Avengers Mansion while talking to Wonder Man (granted I haven’t read every story she’s in yet). I assume that as something “experimental” that she didn’t considered battle-ready yet. During those times it was often explicitly shown that other heroes needed to carry her in flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Probability010 View Post
    Aside from the just mentioned case that was explained away by that “Experimental Flying belt”, the only other occasion before “Avengers Disassembled” I am aware of is her levitating in the Avengers Mansion while talking to Wonder Man (granted I haven’t read every story she’s in yet). I assume that as something “experimental” that she didn’t considered battle-ready yet. During those times it was often explicitly shown that other heroes needed to carry her in flight.
    She levitated to use tarot cards before the Inbetweener stuff and I believe in Lionheart of Avalon. Those were before Disassembled. So around 1998 and 2002. Also Red Zone:

ysYmtpV.jpg

And really it doesn't make sense with Wanda not being able to fly. It's a weird limit on her abilities, when she is a nexus being, and has mystical based abilities.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 02-18-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The odd thing is that although she rarely flew or levitated in Avengers books at the time, the early issues of Ultimate X-Men - where she was just wearing her mainstream costume but without the pink bodystocking (amazing how just changing the color from pink to flesh tones changes the way we interpret the costume) - had her outright flying almost every time she appeared.

I really don't know where they got the idea that she should fly, unless there's just an association of witches with flight, but it seems to have spilled over into the mainstream universe.

Of course as I've said before, the Avengers books tended to keep a lid on her power level because it's a team book, but when she popped up in Jurgens' Thor as a guest, she suddenly had powers of teleportation and was a match for magical villains who were powerful enough to take on Thor and Odin. It was pretty cool to see a writer just let her be as powerful as Zatanna without worrying about whether she would overshadow the team.

Even with a guest artist (Michael Ryan) who had no idea how to draw Wanda's costume it's still one of my favorite guest appearances she ever did.

Last edited by gurkle; 02-18-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The odd thing is that although she rarely flew or levitated in Avengers books at the time, the early issues of Ultimate X-Men - where she was just wearing her mainstream costume but without the pink bodystocking (amazing how just changing the color from pink to flesh tones changes the way we interpret the costume) - had her outright flying almost every time she appeared.

I really don't know where they got the idea that she should fly, unless there's just an association of witches with flight, but it seems to have spilled over into the mainstream universe.

It might be because non-flight was usually associated with street level or other non-superpowered types. Might be the cape thing too? I wish we could ask someone if this was something they decided to do, or just some creative freedom thing. She just shares this with Wonder Woman. A character that normally didn't have flight, that developed it over time.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 02-18-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It might be because non-flight was usually associated with street level or other non-superpowered types. Might be the cape thing too? I wish we could ask someone if this was something they decided to do, or just some creative freedom thing. She just shares this with Wonder Woman. A character that normally didn't have flight, that developed it over time.
    With Wonder Woman I've always thought it was inevitable she was going to get the power of flight because Wonder Girl was flying around in Teen Titans all the time. The captions said she was "riding the air currents" but really she was just a regular flying brick. It made sense that when George Pérez moved from Teen Titans to Wonder Woman he wouldn't deny Diana a power that her less powerful sidekick had.

With Wanda I wonder if it's just that her powers are so vague that putting her in the air is the only way to distinguish her from all the other characters running around shooting laser beams.