Page 4 of 234 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm aware there's a controversy, but I forgot exactly what. Something about her power doesn't work like that I think, and how in the end she live peacefully somewhere after all the disaster she did, both in the M world and in the real world with loads of mutants losing their powers.

Just as a story without any context, I like it. They made it pretty clear what happened so I don't need to go back and read back issues. Wanda came off very sympathetic, at least before she uttered No More Mutants.
    To be accurate, the loss of power was only perceived in the “real world” since the “House of M world” ceased to exist in the same moment.

There is, however, a version (or section?) of “Battleworld”, where the “House of M” reality continued to exist (without power loss). Wanda had become more stable there, albeit very frustrated with her than teenage children . That one is done by the same writer who later wrote the series with the young Jean Grey.

In the story that lead up to “House of M”, “Disassembled”, Doctor Strange said something like that what Wanda is doing is no Magic at all “Facepalm”.

The other issue is that it was not clarified that she had lost her memory, so she lived only peacefully because she had no idea what she had done.

Of course the main “issue” is that this story ruined her character in a way that couldn’t have been “better” if done on purpose – which raises the question whether it actually *was* done on purpose. She almost never recovered from that, if she hadn’t, this Scarlet Witch thread wouldn’t exist or be in the basement of this forum along with other characters who are basically forgotten.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probability010 View Post
    She almost never recovered from that, if she hadn’t, this Scarlet Witch thread wouldn’t exist or be in the basement of this forum along with other characters who are basically forgotten.
    Well said!
    I think it was to late to make her fade in the background, she already was to well-known.
    The Bendis treatment reminded of this child on the beach who runs to you, destroys the castle you were building and laughs at you taunting:"What do you do now?"
    I think in Comic Books, no damage is permanent, there can always be a writer that will fix things with a great story.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The other issue is that it was not clarified that she had lost her memory, so she lived only peacefully because she had no idea what she had done.
    Oooh. Yeah. I didn't know this. It's only shown in one panel without any clarification, probably as a tease, but if someone like me doesn't continue reading, they won't know, and people tend to only follow their favorite characters. When and where was it revealed she lost her memory?

Oooh. Yeah. I didn't know this. It's only shown in one panel without any clarification, probably as a tease, but if someone like me doesn't continue reading, they won't know, and people tend to only follow their favorite characters. When and where was it revealed she lost her memory?
    New Avengers (2004) #26
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

@Mogwen, thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Poster/Cover for No Road Home!

https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/st...67937500700673

I love that Wanda is front and center on this.
    I had a hard time believing that this is “real”, and not “just” very good fanart. So thanks for providing the link to the twitter account. Also, credits to Winterboy for finding it first.
    I never would have thought that we would get a Poster with the comic version of Wanda anytime soon. I am seriously considering buying this!

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Wanda, the Avengers Guiding Light

Now I realize that her pose is similar to the Statue of Liberty :O

Both in her encounters with Hawkeye and Beast, the former in “young Avengers” I think, the latter in some X-Men extinction storyline, I assume some here are better in pinpointing it down. Been a while since I read those. Then of course “Avengers: the Children’s Crusade”. There it was actually suspected that she was faking the memory loss. But when she eventually did get her memories back, she tried to commit suicide, which pretty much settled that question
    It’s a common “problem” with Wanda that she is misjudged because people don’t know the whole story. E. g. many, including myself thought / think that “Avengers v.s. X-Men” is her comeback story instead “Avengers: the Children’s Crusade”.

EDIT: Snoop Dogg got that one covered
    Last edited by Probability010; 01-04-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member

There is no direct indication that she lost her memory.
    Like she just had no memory of what happened to her children when she actually knew long ago. (West Coast Annual I think.) So you can only assume she got random amnesia at that point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Well said!
    I think it was to late to make her fade in the background, she already was to well-known.
    The Bendis treatment reminded of this child on the beach who runs to you, destroys the castle you were building and laughs at you taunting:"What do you do now?"
    I think in Comic Books, no damage is permanent, there can always be a writer that will fix things with a great story.
    No damage is permanent, but any amount of time less than infinite is not permanent.
    It takes years for Wanda to recover, if it's a newer and less popular one (and without a writer who has passion for yhr character or Marvel's favor), they could be functionally dead as fictional character.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool

Magneto,Scarlet Witch and Mystique Colors!
    by CrisstianoCruz

https://www.deviantart.com/crisstian...lors-779569621

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    No damage is permanent, but any amount of time less than infinite is not permanent.
    It takes years for Wanda to recover, if it's a newer and less popular one (and without a writer who has passion for yhr character or Marvel's favor), they could be functionally dead as fictional character.
    With Wanda, I'm surprised that they didn't play Ch'ton card, Ch'ton is a fantastic McGuffin! Diassembled? Ch'ton, "No more mutants"? Ch'ton, of course! No more yoghurt in the fridge? Ch'ton all the way!
    The joke apart, there are steps to repair the damage.
    The first for me is to make her a mutant again and Magneto's daughter, she needs this mutant ancestry!
    Oh, I really miss the way Busiek handled her, He can't do Avengers again?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    New Avengers (2004) #26
    Thanks

Then of course “Avengers: the Children’s Crusade”. There it was actually suspected that she was faking the memory loss. But when she eventually did get her memories back, she tried to commit suicide, which pretty much settled that question
    It’s a common “problem” with Wanda that she is misjudged because people don’t know the whole story. E. g. many, including myself thought / think that “Avengers v.s. X-Men” is her comeback story instead “Avengers: the Children’s Crusade”.
    I did hear about Children Crusade as Wanda's comeback or Wanda's taking responsibility or people tracking Wanda down so she can take responsibility. One of those three. I just forgot the title.

There is no direct indication that she lost her memory.
    Like she just had no memory of what happened to her children when she actually knew long ago. (West Coast Annual I think.) So you can only assume she got random amnesia at that point.
    Random amnesia is such a comic book thing ^^

With Wanda, I'm surprised that they didn't play Ch'ton card, Ch'ton is a fantastic McGuffin! Diassembled? Ch'ton, "No more mutants"? Ch'ton, of course! No more yoghurt in the fridge? Ch'ton all the way!
    The first for me is to make her a mutant again and Magneto's daughter, she needs this mutant ancestry!
    I think the reason Chthon wasn't used was due to the fact it was supposed to be Wanda on her own. Chthon isn't subtle when it comes to possessions.

As I said before the whole AXIS retcon can be easily undone

Extraordinary Member

The damage has nothing to do with the retcon or AXIS.
    Also Chthon was kinda ignored in Disasembled with Doctor Strange claiming "Chaos Magic " doesn't exist.
    Mystic Arcana/Marvel Tarot did give hints about Chthon being behind all that. But that idea was dropped.

Magneto/Mutant part is more like the kinda irrelevant things that everyone rages over, by restoring it you may save some controversies and people whinning. But it does little for the character in question. The best thing to expect is nothing big comes out of it.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 01-05-2019 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Magneto,Scarlet Witch and Mystique Colors!
    by CrisstianoCruz

https://www.deviantart.com/crisstian...lors-779569621

This is awesome as well! Imagine a merger of the first and the second “Brotherhood of evil Mutants” – then you wouldn’t need reality warping to create the “House of M” world order

Suddenly gaining X-Men leadership would be more than weird. She doesn't have history serving as an X-Man so she doesn't really fit that role. ...
    Then I would say in terms of awkward really go for it and have Wanda form a team that only consists of X-Men who once tried to kill her and are now more or less OK with her:
    Wolverine
    Magic
    Rogue (actually did, reversed by time travel)
    The young Jean Grey (maybe tried to, hard to tell since she was just freaking out and was ineffective)
    Now we only need a name for *that* team.

With Wanda, I'm surprised that they didn't play Ch'ton card, Ch'ton is a fantastic McGuffin! ...
    Psssst, don’t mention Chthon, you’ll summon MaximoffTrash

EDIT : Too late ;-)
    Last edited by Probability010; 01-05-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

You talk like I am some kind of dark spawn that will show up everytime someone utter the name of an unspeakable deity.
    Oh, wait, that actually fit my pattern over the years./s

Incredible Member

This is awesome as well! Imagine a merger of the first and the second “Brotherhood of evil Mutants” – then you wouldn’t need reality warping to create the “House of M” world order

Then I would say in terms of awkward really go for it and have Wanda form a team that only consists of X-Men who once tried to kill her and are now more or less OK with her:
    Wolverine
    Magic
    Rogue (actually did, reversed by time travel)
    The young Jean Grey (maybe tried to, hard to tell since she was just freaking out and was ineffective)
    Now we only need a name for *that* team.

Psssst, don’t mention Chthon, you’ll summon MaximoffTrash

EDIT : Too late ;-)
    Always a pleasure!
    Fixing Wanda won't be an easy task (by fixing I don't mean characters should not change, but poor Wanda, between Bendis and Axis sh's been butchered!) and it will take time, that's impressive how a few years of terrible choices can almost ruin a character forever!
    My idea of her serving as an X-Man is she's always been an involuntary flagbearer of the mutant cause, she was the mutant on the Avengers team, there were people outside the mansion who shouted "no more mutants" just because she was on the team, it's well shown in Busiek's run!
    I think when she will be a mutant again and all this mess will be forgotten I'd like to see her for once take position and serving as an X-Men if only for a brief stint. I'd like to see her choose.