Page 57 of 234 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Hopefully the running time of WandaVision will enable a much more detailed and rich depiction of her character. I am excited to see what she can do with actual screentime and actual dialogue, and I hope this series explores chaos magic, because that is such an amazing arc and IW and EG set it up, and what a perfect set up for Chthon we have, because Wanda's conflict with him has the potential to blow audiences minds as most people don't know about it, and if done right (i.e no possession, just Chthon engaging in a huge game with Wanda, testing her and goading her, and Agatha Harkness her mentor and friend. Wanda and Agatha is one of the most touching of all female friendships in Marvel. They have the potential to give us something beautiful.

Elizabeth Olsen has done an incredible job, you can see she puts her heart into it. How she manages to squeeze nuance and depth out of almost zero screentime, its amazing because so many actors in that situation tend to go full ham and over-act to make their part 'big".

[spoiler] The audience reactions to her should hearten any Wanda fan, I have been astonished. Audiences cheering her on! The emotion! I never thought I would see her become popular enough to get cheers. It's easy to forget where Scarlet Witch was just a few years ago; banished from comics, trashed by comics editors and writers, and pretty much on the precipice of being sent to comics limbo.

Bendis and Byrne, thet couldn't slay her and I'll just say I felt like I was watching a symbolism of her comics struggle, in the cinema. [spoiler]

The ultimate survivor.

This is a long ramble but my brain is agitated and tense and I have a cold on top it.
    Could just give Chthon a Mojo role, but much grimmer and scarier. Wanda is thrown into a story setting created by Chthon through Darkhold.
    And Wanda is essentially a character in that story, initially bound by the rule set by Chthon, playing his twisted game. (Chthon could just casually feed other unfortunate souls to N'Garai just so Wanda would want to surrender and give him access to Earth.)
    Then she would realize something from Chthon's own words or others clues that she is in fact granted a shard of Chthon's power, thus she doesn't need to be the character of the story, but a writer as well. She has the power to decide the story for herself.

Also the second spoiler tag is [/spoil].

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    So Wanda and Carol are pretty clearly the most powerful MCU heroes now. I mean they both overpowered Thanos, and he showed genuine fear at both of their powers. The only one who comes close right now is probably Dr. Strange.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    spoilers:
    So Wanda and Carol are pretty clearly the most powerful MCU heroes now. I mean they both overpowered Thanos, and he showed genuine fear at both of their powers. The only one who comes close right now is probably Dr. Strange.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Stephen still haven't shown that much raw power, I think the closer one would be IW Thor with Stormbreaker.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Hopefully the running time of WandaVision will enable a much more detailed and rich depiction of her character. I am excited to see what she can do with actual screentime and actual dialogue, and I hope this series explores chaos magic, because that is such an amazing arc and IW and EG set it up, and what a perfect set up for Chthon we have, because Wanda's conflict with him has the potential to blow audiences minds as most people don't know about it, and if done right (i.e no possession, just Chthon engaging in a huge game with Wanda, testing her and goading her, and Agatha Harkness her mentor and friend. Wanda and Agatha is one of the most touching of all female friendships in Marvel. They have the potential to give us something beautiful.

Elizabeth Olsen has done an incredible job, you can see she puts her heart into it. How she manages to squeeze nuance and depth out of almost zero screentime, its amazing because so many actors in that situation tend to go full ham and over-act to make their part 'big".

[spoiler] The audience reactions to her should hearten any Wanda fan, I have been astonished. Audiences cheering her on! The emotion! I never thought I would see her become popular enough to get cheers. It's easy to forget where Scarlet Witch was just a few years ago; banished from comics, trashed by comics editors and writers, and pretty much on the precipice of being sent to comics limbo.

Bendis and Byrne, thet couldn't slay her and I'll just say I felt like I was watching a symbolism of her comics struggle, in the cinema. [spoiler]

The ultimate survivor.

This is a long ramble but my brain is agitated and tense and I have a cold on top it.
    It's not easy to forget where Wanda was. She's actually still there. She's back to not being in any comics. And when she was, still very limited and exclusive. I really honestly don't need this Wanda to be more like main universe. I'm fine with it being separate. But I'm not gonna be fooled by the notion that MCU Wanda changed anything for comics Wanda. Because there are no more solicits for her up to July at the least. Maybe slightly on the merchandise front, but honestly not by a lot. I'm glad I get to play her in MUA 3. But she was in X-Men Legends II , SHSO and MH before the movies. I'm glad that audiences like this version. They can. Not my cup of tea.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    ...but the character herself has had so many changes, some because of rights issues and some not. She's gotten very little to say as well. Wanda use to tell everyone off a lot.
    I thought she was a little sassier in Avengers: Age of Ultron, maybe because she was on the wrong side for half the movie and bad girls get to be sassier. She didn't tell people off but even after she turned good she had that line where she compares Ultron to Stark, etc. Her motivations didn't make much sense though.

I agree Russo/Markus/McFeely did the best they could with the very limited screen time she got. spoilers:
    Giving her her own moment to solo Thanos was nice because there are many characters with personal grudges against Thanos and most of them didn't have any chance to confront him. Plus she didn't get to meet Carol but at least she got the first line in the "girl power" scene with the other women backing Carol up. Little things, but that's all there was time for.
    end of spoilers

It's not easy to forget where Wanda was. She's actually still there. She's back to not being in any comics. And when she was, still very limited and exclusive. I really honestly don't need this Wanda to be more like main universe. I'm fine with it being separate. But I'm not gonna be fooled by the notion that MCU Wanda changed anything for comics Wanda. Because there are no more solicits for her up to July at the least. Maybe slightly on the merchandise front, but honestly not by a lot. I'm glad I get to play her in MUA 3. But she was in X-Men Legends II , SHSO and MH before the movies. I'm glad that audiences like this version. They can. Not my cup of tea.
    Wanda's appearance in the MCU did help Wanda initially, getting her, her own ongoing. After all before AOU no-one wanted to touch her. However Wanda's boost was like any sales boost from any movie, temporary.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know, I think to some extent she may be in a worse spot if there is no MCU version.
    She was in XMLII and stuff but more recently she missed MVCI. It's really a tricky situation for her.
    Avengers Project is nowhere to be seen, but I guess I also don't have to deal with the disappointment if they simply ignore her if that is the case.
    At least she got to be an Avenger in movies, that helps her overall impression I guess. (Still some audience just think she is X-character anyway for some reason.)

I used to think Wanda is a special case but she is actually just yet another Avenger who is classic but not the big three or whoever Marvel intended to push. (Meaning T'Challa and Carol, so 5 slots are taken, and Jen is part of that team, but at the cost of being written as, well, female Banner Hulk?)There are bunch of bros and sis who are with her in this awkward situation.

Sometimes I feel it's a labor to love this character, I just want one story involving Elder God that gives clear closure in any media and then I can just never care about anything else oneward. But even that feels like a long shot.
    Plus even Mystic Marvel is not promising these days, Wanda got blocked in both paths.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Wanda's appearance in the MCU did help Wanda initially, getting her, her own ongoing. After all before AOU no-one wanted to touch her. However Wanda's boost was like any sales boost from any movie, temporary.
    Unless you are the ones that are already pumped full of juice even before MCU made their versions.

Wanda appeared in four issues of No Road Home in March. Here are their sales figures:

ANRH 6- 37,792
    ANRH 4- 33,365
    ANRH 5- 32,296
    ANRH 7- 31,464

D5UkUHdXsAA6SSV.jpg
    Last edited by Witchfan; 04-29-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Unless you are the ones that are already pumped full of juice even before MCU made their versions.
    Not exactly true, the editor of the UK collector editions revealed that a sales boost from any movie is roughly 3 months, no matter who the character is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I don't know, I think to some extent she may be in a worse spot if there is no MCU version.
    She was in XMLII and stuff but more recently she missed MVCI. It's really a tricky situation for her.
    Avengers Project is nowhere to be seen, but I guess I also don't have to deal with the disappointment if they simply ignore her if that is the case.
    At least she got to be an Avenger in movies, that helps her overall impression I guess. (Still some audience just think she is X-character anyway for some reason.)

I used to think Wanda is a special case but she is actually just yet another Avenger who is classic but not the big three or whoever Marvel intended to push. (Meaning T'Challa and Carol, so 5 slots are taken, and Jen is part of that team, but at the cost of being written as, well, female Banner Hulk?)There are bunch of bros and sis who are with her in this awkward situation.

Sometimes I feel it's a labor to love this character, I just want one story involving Elder God that gives clear closure in any media and then I can just never care about anything else oneward. But even that feels like a long shot.
    Plus even Mystic Marvel is not promising these days, Wanda got blocked in both paths.
    I'm honestly convinced that it doesn't really matter. And that the only way she is in things is if the odd writer wants to tackle her. So MCU or not, we are still in this rut it seems.

Also, sad to read that Jen is being written like that. I have not tried the main book. I heard she's been mishandled in recent years.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 04-29-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Yeah it could be that it was just temporary. It just still feels really bad now. It was depressing to look at the July solicits.

I'm honestly convinced that it doesn't really matter. And that the only way she is in things is if the odd writer wants to tackle her. So MCU or not, we are still in this rut it seems.
    Well it is better for her to be written by someone who wants to write her (and hopefully do her justice), rather that just some hack.

Well it is better for her to be written by someone who wants to write her (and hopefully do her justice), rather that just some hack.
    Agreed and I love how Zub has written her. I just need more Wanda. I wish there were more that could write her that wanted to do that.

Agreed and I love how Zub has written her. I just need more Wanda. I wish there were more that could write her that wanted to do that.
    Yeah, at least she appeared in No Road Home and Endgame and has a show in the works, which is more that a lot of other characters.