Page 59 of 234 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    While it would be nice to see Wanda back on the main team, she would probably be overshadowed by the likes of Cap, Iron Man, Carol and others. At least leading a Side team she would be able to shine.
    She wasn't really out-shined when she was on teams with them before. I don't see how it'd be different now.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    She wasn't really out-shined when she was on teams with them before. I don't see how it'd be different now.
    But here is this trend that long-term solo characters(especially those with solo movies as well) are by fault better and more deserving in some people's mind.
    It's not always this way, but they are sometimes like different social classes of fictional characters.
    That being said, I do miss her time being able to interact with Cap, Thor, Carol, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    But here is this trend that long-term solo characters(especially those with solo movies as well) are by fault better and more deserving in some people's mind.
    It's not always this way, but they are sometimes like different social classes of fictional characters.
    That being said, I do miss her time being able to interact with Cap, Thor, Carol, etc.
    It's just not how she was treated though. For a very long stretch, her and Vision were considered two of the most important Avengers. And were of course two of the most consistent serving. Wanda was also a character that stole the air out of the room. She had a certain presence without too much arrogance or bravado.

And I get the fear of her being mistreated by writers. But she wasn't always written well, even in older issues. Sure, there is more of a chance of her being mishandled, the more she is written. But there could also be a chance of her being written well. She has zero chance if she's never written.

Extraordinary Member

It's just not how she was treated though. For a very long stretch, her and Vision were considered two of the most important Avengers. And were of course two of the most consistent serving. Wanda was also a character that stole the air out of the room. She had a certain presence without too much arrogance or bravado.

And I get the fear of her being mistreated by writers. But she wasn't always written well, even in older issues. Sure, there is more of a chance of her being mishandled, the more she is written. But there could also be a chance of her being written well. She has zero chance if she's never written.
    I think her classic Avenger identity just don't get her actual prominence anymore? Of course I am not talking about the days she was always an active member. I am talkinga about Post-2005 when Avengers franchise went through so much major changes, with more and more bigger names thrown in and some Avengers(mainly the big three) members grew to be just so much more relevant and important with both comic and cinematic push, and with that they outclass the other classic Avengers like Wanda, Janet, Vision, Hawkeye,etc.
    Also what you point out later is kinda leokearon was saying, she should be written more, and the place that gives her more pages and lines is favored. It's the fear of absence and irrelevance than being mishandled.(Though irrevelance kinda count as a form of mishandling.)
    If she can simply "take it all" and get both side Avengers appearance and main appearance, then why would anyone complain?

The difference is now, that Marvel really want the main Avengers to be full of Big Guns and what's in. They don't want the Avengers to be full of second stringers.

Also, if she is on a spin-off, it would allow her to have more focus and it won't be a demotion or anything, it would be like when Hawkeye was put in charge of the West Coast Avengers. It shows the other Avengers trust her.

That's the problem Wanda was considered a prominent Avenger, but not anymore, for over a decade she wasn't on any team and is still remember by some readers as the one who destroyed the team, which led others to take her role.

Of course, getting written runs the chance of either being written well or mistreated.. I would prefer her to be on a side book written by someone who wants to write her, than thrown on the main team and written by someone like Aaron

The difference is now, that Marvel really want the main Avengers to be full of Big Guns and what's in. They don't want the Avengers to be full of second stringers.

Also, if she is on a spin-off, it would allow her to have more focus and it won't be a demotion or anything, it would be like when Hawkeye was put in charge of the West Coast Avengers. It shows the other Avengers trust her.
    She didn't really even in that spin off though. Hell the last battle she wasn't even a part of. We don't know where her head-space is at. We don't know if she's had communication with any of the Avengers she was friends with. And some of them she really should have some communication with. Hell even her relationship with Brother Voodoo is not even fleshed out. So if they don't want her to get attention, then that's likely across the board. UA wasn't satisfactory in resolving a whole lot for her, just creating more turmoil. The Jan interactions being nice though. She's already been way demoted, long ago. She was a card carrying Avenger on the main team. She has yet to restore that status. I'm not seeing where it shows any trust in the character if she's just gonna be off to the side.

Extraordinary Member

I sometimes wonder if that's one reason she doesn't get used a lot for teams. I don't know exactly why, but Wanda is one of those characters who makes stories all about her, whether they're supposed to be or not. Look at how Uncanny Avengers revolved around her until she was "killed off," or how she dominated the first two years of the Busiek/Pérez Avengers. There's something about her that makes writers have to work to keep her from taking over (like in the Kang Dynasty story she spent most of it in a Kang POW camp and in "Celestial Madonna" she was absent for a lot of it because she was in her room studying witchcraft with Agatha Harkness).

She didn't really even in that spin off though. Hell the last battle she wasn't even a part of. We don't know where her head-space is at. We don't know if she's had communication with any of the Avengers she was friends with. And some of them she really should have some communication with.
    Yes, this is my biggest issue with the way she's been treated since she came back. Bendis let her have a nice moment with Carol at the beginning of Avengers vs. X-Men, but they have not met or talked since then, and there's been no attempt to show where her relationships stand with any character who isn't totally linked to her the way Vision and Pietro are. What does Tony feel about her? She-Hulk? Wanda's barely even gotten to talk to Jan and they were on the same Uncanny Avengers team for years.
    Last edited by gurkle; 04-30-2019 at 09:39 AM.

That's the problem Wanda was considered a prominent Avenger, but not anymore, for over a decade she wasn't on any team and is still remember by some readers as the one who destroyed the team, which led others to take her role.

Of course, getting written runs the chance of either being written well or mistreated.. I would prefer her to be on a side book written by someone who wants to write her, than thrown on the main team and written by someone like Aaron
    We don't know that if she ever got back on the Avengers that she'd ever be written by Aaron. But I'd rather she be in books than not. This idea that her not being written much protects her hasn't really panned out. She's a fictional character, her status can change depending on what they want to do with her. My point is that I want them to restore her status. Not keep her in limbo. If you want to resign to believing that she's better in limbo, that's up to you. But I want to read books with her in it. They already can't ruin her more than they have.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I sometimes wonder if that's one reason she doesn't get used a lot for teams. I don't know exactly why, but Wanda is one of those characters who makes stories all about her, whether they're supposed to be or not. Look at how Uncanny Avengers revolved around her until she was "killed off," or how she dominated the first two years of the Busiek/Pérez Avengers. There's something about her that makes writers have to work to keep her from taking over (like in the Kang Dynasty story she spent most of it in a Kang POW camp and in "Celestial Madonna" she was absent for a lot of it because she was in her room studying witchcraft with Agatha Harkness).
    She just has that energy, haha.

3990340-vision&scarlet_witch-power_man&iron_fist#102-all_dressed_up.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I think her classic Avenger identity just don't get her actual prominence anymore? Of course I am not talking about the days she was always an active member. I am talkinga about Post-2005 when Avengers franchise went through so much major changes, with more and more bigger names thrown in and some Avengers(mainly the big three) members grew to be just so much more relevant and important with both comic and cinematic push, and with that they outclass the other classic Avengers like Wanda, Janet, Vision, Hawkeye,etc.
    Also what you point out later is kinda leokearon was saying, she should be written more, and the place that gives her more pages and lines is favored. It's the fear of absence and irrelevance than being mishandled.(Though irrevelance kinda count as a form of mishandling.)
    If she can simply "take it all" and get both side Avengers appearance and main appearance, then why would anyone complain?
    I think it could be solved by not having her so exclusive. Other characters get to be everywhere. Wanda only one book. Since there are limited pages these days, they have to do more with less. But there are solutions to that. Her development has been very limited to stagnant since she came back.

Wanda was in the main book during No Surrender, and the No Road Home series is part of the main series' legacy numbering. She is getting closer to the mainstream again.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Wanda was in the main book during No Surrender, and the No Road Home series is part of the main series' legacy numbering. She is getting closer to the mainstream again.
    Those weren't main Avengers. They are Avengers books, sure. Not main team. I hope she gets closer to mainstream. But it doesn't seem that way when she gets thrown back into limbo as soon as those books end.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    What does Tony feel about her? She-Hulk?
    We only got that short moment between her and Tony during AvX, when she asked him if he slept at all. I'd love for her to talk to She-Hulk again.

She didn't really even in that spin off though. Hell the last battle she wasn't even a part of. We don't know where her head-space is at. We don't know if she's had communication with any of the Avengers she was friends with. And some of them she really should have some communication with. Hell even her relationship with Brother Voodoo is not even fleshed out. So if they don't want her to get attention, then that's likely across the board. UA wasn't satisfactory in resolving a whole lot for her, just creating more turmoil. The Jan interactions being nice though. She's already been way demoted, long ago. She was a card carrying Avenger on the main team. She has yet to restore that status. I'm not seeing where it shows any trust in the character if she's just gonna be off to the side.
    I think part of the problem is that a lot of writers seem to treat Wanda for as a source of drama and conflict than an actual character. She either can't get a word in (Busiek's run) or someone has a grudge against her (Uncanny).

She does need better interaction,her stuff with Jan in UA was great and the scenes with Hawkeye in No Road Home were good. But what about her best friend Carol or ones like Steve and Tony. Is part of the reason she isn't on the main team because they don't trust her...