Page 63 of 234 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Speaking of MCU Wanda, I really do see Ms. Olsen's point about wishing she had a costume that wasn't just a "cleavage corset." The comment got more coverage last year than she probably intended but it is true that it's kind of silly how much the filmmakers and costume designers emphasize her cleavage when fighting, but nobody else's.

I don't think there's anything wrong with showing off the good looks of (male or female) actors but battle scenes probably aren't the best place to do that unless a lot of other characters are dressed that way.

(I felt the same way about the George Pérez late '90s costume: bless him, he loves drawing Wanda and the costume was popular at the time, but even by superhero comic standards, it never made sense that she would fight in something so skimpy and with so many folds of clothing to trip over.)

Of course the WandaVision series probably won't be an action-heavy show anyway so it doesn't apply, but if she ever finds her way back into a big movie it would probably make more sense to take some inspiration from the way the classic outfit is actually not that revealing at all (unless the colorist forgot to color in the pink tights).

I definitely understand and respect Elizabeth's comments about her costume and want her to feel as comfortable in the role as possible, so if they were to change the costume to accomodate her wishes then I wouldn't be mad at all. Especially, because Wanda does have a few costumes where she is completely covered up. And since they have foregone the arguably most recognizable aspects of her costumes (headpiece and capes) covering up her cleavage wouldn't be the worst thing.

That being said, I feel like Wanda is a lot of things, but shy about her body and showing off her curves is not one of them. True, it's a comic book trope for most females, but most if not all of Wanda's costumes have ranged from skin-tight to straight up revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I definitely understand and respect Elizabeth's comments about her costume and want her to feel as comfortable in the role as possible, so if they were to change the costume to accomodate her wishes then I wouldn't be mad at all. Especially, because Wanda does have a few costumes where she is completely covered up. And since they have foregone the arguably most recognizable aspects of her costumes (headpiece and capes) covering up her cleavage wouldn't be the worst thing.

That being said, I feel like Wanda is a lot of things, but shy about her body and showing off her curves is not one of them. True, it's a comic book trope for most females, but most if not all of Wanda's costumes have ranged from skin-tight to straight up revealing.
    I think it is just one of those comic book things. Because her very first costume wasn't really revealing in comics. Everyone's costumes were always super tight, but I think now artists are starting to consider things that would actually work in comics. And in real life, people aren't really gonna be into wearing that stuff. It'd be pretty uncomfortable. Lycra and polyester leotards cause sweat. So under a lot of lights, that'd be murder. I'm all for what works. As long as we can still make out that it's Wanda. Also more casual Wanda can be a thing on her show.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 05-07-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I think it is just one of those comic book things. Because her very first costume wasn't really revealing in comics. Everyone's costumes were always super tight, but I think now artists are starting to consider things that would actually work in comics. And in real life, people aren't really gonna be into wearing that stuff. It'd be pretty uncomfortable. Lycra and polyester leotards cause sweat. So under a lot of lights, that'd be murder. I'm all for what works. As long as we can still make out that it's Wanda. Also more casual Wanda can be a thing on her show.
    Casual dress but with more personal style.(Her civilian outfit in CW, IW is just kinda, too regular?)
    Despite constantly complaining about her recent limited appearances, I do like Wanda's casual wear in those book.(The end of Zub's UA, NS, NRH.)

Her first costume wasn't necessarily revealing, but she has certainly had costumes that were revealing and her cleavage has certainly been accentuated in plenty of them. And even her first costume was a corset with a bodystocking udnerneath, which leaves little to the imagination. I want to specify that I am not advocating for oversexualizing the character, but trying to point out that it isn't something out of the blue for Wanda.

As I said, I wouldn't mind Elizabeth's costume to be altered to accomodate her wishes and make more sense tactically. Especially, since her cleavage is not a central part of her costume that I am interested in seeing. I believe her current MCU costume is inspired by her Marvel NOW look, but it is unfortunate, because it still doesn't read Scarlet Witch to me. I accept it because I know who she is supposed to be, but simply based on looks I'm not really getting Wanda. It also seems like Marvel Studios is not keen on labelling or identifying her as the Scarlet Witch- she is referred by that name on merchandise, but in the movies she has always been simply called "Wanda". So it doesn't really surprise me that her costume isn't as indicative of her character as I would like.

Seeing concept art from Age of Ultron, there were some really cool designs that seemed much more mystical, practical and more in tune with Wanda from the comics. I really would love to hear from the costume designers and other people involved what thoughts went into her costume design.

It will interesting to see what they do with her in her upcoming show, both in terms of character development and stylistic choices.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 05-07-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Her first costume was a bathing suit with a body stocking underneath. Most female heroes of that time wore one piece bathing suits it seemed.

It isn't out of the blue for the character because that's what comics were. People in their underwear. Real life people don't want to wear that. It's uncomfortable as hell. And would probably look goofy as hell in a movie. Unless it's someone like Emma. Hell most of it looks extremely dated in comics. Her costume changes resembled the comics eras that they were created in. Boob size generally followed and increased dramatically with the boob implant craze of the 90s. IMO comics, especially old comics shouldn't be followed at all for women's costumes in the movies. A lot of it is too tacky and atrocious.

I think it's because the MCU costume is less red, and the UA costume was not a corset with a coat. Then there's the ever missing tiara. Because the MCU barely does helms or anything similar.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Her first costume was a bathing suit with a body stocking underneath. Most female heroes of that time wore one piece bathing suits it seemed.

It isn't out of the blue for the character because that's what comics were. People in their underwear. Real life people don't want to wear that. It's uncomfortable as hell. And would probably look goofy as hell in a movie. Unless it's someone like Emma. Hell most of it looks extremely dated in comics. Her costume changes resembled the comics eras that they were created in. Boob size generally followed and increased dramatically with the boob implant craze of the 90s. IMO comics, especially old comics shouldn't be followed at all for women's costumes in the movies. A lot of it is too tacky and atrocious.

I think it's because the MCU costume is less red, and the UA costume was not a corset with a coat. Then there's the ever missing tiara. Because the MCU barely does helms or anything similar.
    I agree that not all costumes, especially costumes from the early days of comics, are suited for a live action movie. Wanda and many other characters have costumes that would actually translate well, which is where the frustration comes from when elements of a look or entire looks are ignored.

But as mentioned, there was concept art for Wanda that felt much more in line with her character and closely resembled comic accurate looks that were sidelined for more generic costume ideas.

Extraordinary Member

I agree that not all costumes, especially costumes from the early days of comics, are suited for a live action movie. Wanda and many other characters have costumes that would actually translate well, which is where the frustration comes from when elements of a look or entire looks are ignored.

But as mentioned, there was concept art for Wanda that felt much more in line with her character and closely resembled comic accurate looks that were sidelined for more generic costume ideas.
    I understand why AoU did that, since she is just a Sokovian civilian that doesn't belong to any real group. So there is no reason she would wear anything other than generic stuff.
    So her suit up moment would be the when she joined Avengers, the end of AoU is fine.
    Though CW/IW/EG used a more generic/uninspired design(the single color pattern works in comics and certain coloring, not really in live-action), also in the context of the story she has no reason to get a new one.
    Now my hopes lie in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I understand why AoU did that, since she is just a Sokovian civilian that doesn't belong to any real group. So there is no reason she would wear anything other than generic stuff.
    So her suit up moment would be the when she joined Avengers, the end of AoU is fine.
    Though CW/IW/EG used a more generic/uninspired design(the single color pattern works in comics and certain coloring, not really in live-action), also in the context of the story she has no reason to get a new one.
    Now my hopes lie in the show.
    I agree that for the majority of AoU that her costume or rather lack thereof made sense. Even her costume at the end of AoU was better and more inspired than her current look that she has had for Civil War, IW and thusly Endgame. I just don't understad how we ended up with what we got when they already had a imo superior costume and better concepts. Her current costume isn't bad- I just think it could be better.

I enjoyed this one for the 2 seconds that we saw it:

This doesn't solve the cleavage problem, but it was a visually more interesting costume.

And these concepts were sidelined and are in my opinion the best looking costume ideas for Wanda that have surfaced so far:

Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 05-07-2019 at 01:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I agree that for the majority of AoU that her costume or rather lack thereof made sense. Even her costume at the end of AoU was better and more inspired than her current look that she has had for Civil War, IW and thusly Endgame. I just don't understad how we ended up with what we got when they already had a imo superior costume and better concepts. Her current costume isn't bad- I just think it could be better.

I enjoyed this one for the 2 seconds that we saw it:

This doesn't solve the cleavage problem, but it was a visually more interesting costume.

And these concepts were sidelined and are in my opinion the best looking costume ideas for Wanda that have surfaced so far:

Yeah, her show probably wouldn't have her operating as an Avenger.
    So I think the means for a "superhero costumes" to show up is either a ceremonial/ritual dress she will wear when she practices Witchcraft with Agatha or a traveller outfit that gives her a cloak and hoodie(Red Zone costume came to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Yeah, her show probably wouldn't have her operating as an Avenger.
    So I think the means for a "superhero costumes" to show up is either a ceremonial/ritual dress she will wear when she practices Witchcraft with Agatha or a traveller outfit that gives her a cloak and hoodie(Red Zone costume came to mind).
    It'll be interesting to see what the show does with her. I really hope they embrace her witchcraft or rather introduce it to the MCU.

Extraordinary Member

It'll be interesting to see what the show does with her. I really hope they embrace her witchcraft or rather introduce it to the MCU.
    I kinda want both her Wundagore/Chaos Magic origin and Witchcraft.(Those two are kinda separated post-Busiek.)
    But I am not sure audience will understand the difference, maybe just make Chthon/Wundagore influence as a more mythical force that always paved her way/kept her alive.(Her always surviving with the bomb, experiment, faling city is like her denying her doom, the only time she actually "died" is when she herself gave up the will to survive when Vision died.) Chthon would be the one altering her fate and wanting to collect the debt from Wanda.

Witchcraft would mark her spiritual development, Agatha's teachings would be about making peace, Chthon's callings would be about pursuing her yearning and desires.

Extraordinary Member

How do you guys feel about "What If Jessica Jones Had Joined the Avengers?"
    What If? stories are AUs so they are fine for me no matter which direction they go, but this one really is like mocking Wanda fans in the face.

I got this question since people randomly reacting to the comic pages and are like "Jessica so nice".
    I read this long time ago, now that is brought back to my attention, it's still sour as heck.
    JJ was helping Wanda with her mental issues and stuff.
    But do they realize this is written by the same guy who basically gave her mental illness out of the blue?
    And here he had his true born daughter Jessica "fix" Wanda, be popular with everyone, and then marry Steve. Did I just see someone's fanfiction?

It's kinda a common practice with pet characters maybe, but usually it's just suddenly beng some important characters' best friend, most trusted ally,etc.
    This one basically twisted a character to be a faceless villain, then send his creation to play saint/savior.
    Nothing personal against JJ, but that's really an unpleasant example.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-07-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I think Bendis was kind of parodying Mary Sue storytelling by doing a story where if Jessica had joined the Avengers, everything that went wrong would have been right and also she would have married Captain America. I don't think he meant for it to be taken seriously.

Fantastic Member

To be quite honest if I were Elizabeth I would be more than a little bothered by how every other actress gets to cover up, especially since every other actress seems have alot more screentime than her.

I would hope she gets a new costume in WandaVision, via Agatha Harkness (and the New Salem witches?) I think of something that has the Mystic aesthetic of Strange's costume, mixed with Wanda's own style, I think a hood would definitely be cool, I feel that's always fit Wanda well. Maybe she takes the New Salem uniform and makes it her own, same as Strange did with Kamar Taj.

Wanda by Coipel.

coipel SW.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."