Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can Diana have a good sci-fi story again?

While Diana is a part of the magically scene in Dc. She does have villains who aren’t just in magic. However, Dc seems to just keep her in this area. Can Diana expand more into sci-fi like she did before ?

Science fiction stories with Diana should not be a problem at all with the right writer, especially if one takes wider view of the field of science fiction. Diana should be a natural for science fiction founded in biology, anthropology, or sociology. Messner-Loebs sent her out into space the first thing after Pérez, and while it was the starta of a trainwreck, it wasn't the fault of the idea, rather the execution and what came after.

Unity with the beasts is a power of hers that is decidedly underused, and easily could serve as the basis for several types of sf stories.

Seems to be less a matter of editorial oversight though and more simply because writers have not been very creative. Simone for example was able to do that good quality story where Wonder Woman went out into space and saved a savage war-like race from extermination.
    Nothing preventing someone from just tossing something in and running with it. The issue is more that alot of writers seem to just be thrown at the book with no interest in quality and the writers themselves having no interest in writing anything good.

BANNED

First. It'd be nice to see her having a classic epic super hero adventure again. Where she is competent, very powerful and where her gear actually works.

Extraordinary Member

The story back in the 90s where she was lost in space and led a band of space pirates against the Sangster empire was one of the best arcs of volume 2
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Messner-Loebs sent her out into space the first thing after Pérez, and while it was the starta of a trainwreck, it wasn't the fault of the idea, rather the execution and what came after.
    I think a lot of people disagree with you. The Space Pyrates is one of the few beloved moments from the Messner-Loebs era.

(I also loved what came after, but that's probably just me.)

What would be a good plot? It could be dealing with Eviless

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What would be a good plot? It could be dealing with Eviless
    An alien named Marston fell to earth. Looking for help as his people are being enslaved by the evil trinity geoff, didio and snyder. 3 aliens that try to conquer the galaxy known as poor writing.

Diana helps Marston that was being attacked by the evil trinity's warriors, azzarello and robinson. After defeating him. Marston tells Diana what is going on in his planet.

They flew to Marston's planet in the Invisible plane. Which was amped by Marston's own technology. There. The elite warrior of the trinity is waiting for them. meredith finch.

meredith is powered up by a crystal that gives her amazing power. They trade blows at faster than light that shake the planet. But the army lead by meredith arrives to the scene. And Diana must make sure that the people around don't suffer. So she takes them to safety.

The people of the planet tell Diana that their home used to be a beautiful land. Until the trinity came along leaving only dead in their path. They torture and kill anybody that oppose them. Diana is not going to allow them to do that anymore.

She prepares a plan to enter their fortress. Using a device that faked her death. While the trinit is about to celebrate their victory. Diana appears and ruins their party. The trinity attacked her. Diana stops geoff with her lasso. Kicks snyder to another galaxy, while the rebels take out meredith and
    didio with new weapons made by Marston.

The planet and the galaxy finally find peace again. And Diana joins them in a big celebration in honor of freedom.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-01-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    An alien named Marston fell to earth. Looking for help as his people are being enslaved by the evil trinity geoff, didio and snyder. 3 aliens that try to conquer the galaxy known as poor writing.

Diana helps Marston that was being attacked by the evil trinity's warriors, azzarello and robinson. After defeating him. Marston tells Diana what is going on in his planet.

They flew to Marston's planet in the Invisible plane. Which was amped by Marston's own technology. There. The elite warrior of the trinity is waiting for them. meredith finch.

meredith is powered up by a crystal that gives her amazing power. They trade blows at faster than light that shake the planet. But the army lead by meredith arrives to the scene. And Diana must make sure that the people around don't suffer. So she takes them to safety.

The people of the planet tell Diana that their home used to be a beautiful land. Until the trinity came along leaving only dead in their path. They torture and kill anybody that oppose them. Diana is not going to allow them to do that anymore.

She prepares a plan to enter their fortress. Using a device that faked her death. While the trinit is about to celebrate their victory. Diana appears and ruins their party. The trinity attacked her. Diana stops geoff with her lasso. Kicks snyder to another galaxy, while the rebels take out meredith and
    didio with new weapons made by Marston.

The planet and the galaxy finally find peace again. And Diana joins them in a big celebration in honor of freedom.
    Methinks this is rather on the nose.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    I think a lot of people disagree with you. The Space Pyrates is one of the few beloved moments from the Messner-Loebs era.

She Space Pirates story was indeed brilliant!

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    She Space Pirates story was indeed brilliant!

This looks great on her. Much better than the Odyssey costume.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post

It's not just you, the Messner-Loebs' run was really good. There was a lot of variety and it proved Diana could work in any kind of story from mafioso machinations with Julianna Sazia, to Themysciran intrigue with Artemis and Hippolyta, to the amazing aforementioned space adventure. In hindsight I even liked Taco Wiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's not just you, the Messner-Loebs' run was really good. There was a lot of variety and it proved Diana could work in any kind of story from mafioso machinations with Julianna Sazia, to Themysciran intrigue with Artemis and Hippolyta, to the amazing aforementioned space adventure. In hindsight I even liked Taco Wiz.
    Messner-Loebs (and John Byrne) were the last two major runs to have non-mythological components define their work. I'm not saying these didn't have mythological elements to them (for Messner-Loebs you got Circe, Ares returning and Wonder Woman losing her title), but the main bad guy was a magician who becomes a demon and there are tons of stories where WW fights an evil alien empire, Mayfly, the mafia, Joker, a cabal of assassins and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

The space pirate arc is legitimately good too, its in my Top 10 Greatest Modern Wonder Woman Stories.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut