4 6.56%
  • Xavin

1 1.64%
  • Klara Prast

0 0%
  • Topher

1 1.64%
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Molly being a mutant has never really been that important. Why would you need to downplay something that is already not having any impact? I'm pretty sure anyone who reads Runaways already has at least a vague idea of what a mutant is and since that has never been touched more deeply in Runaways stories it really doesn't stop the series from standing alone at all.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 06-15-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Molly's powers aren't the same as her parents' though. Aren't they telepaths, whereas Molly's power is super strength?
    It appears that, but her eyes glow when she uses her powers, just like her parents, suggesting a similarity, and it would be easy enough to 'reveal' that her 'strength' is an unconscious manifestation of telekinesis (much like Conner Kent's 'tactile telekinesis' that he used as Superboy for a time to fake having super-strength and invulnerability). Marvel's fairly prone to pairing telekinesis and telepathy (as with Jean Grey, Cable, Quentin Quire, Moondragon, various Eternals and magicians, etc.) or even swapping back and forth on them (Psylocke, who is a telepath one week, a telekinetic the next, and then a telepath again later), so there's plenty of precedent for something as simple as telepath parents having a telekinetic child.

That said, future Molly, in an X-story, was a muscle-bound giant woman, which, IMO, completely misses the point of her strength being psionic and having zero to do with her muscles, so who knows if the writers even have an idea on this. At least the X-Men writer using a future AU version of her seemed to think she was just a generic super-strong chick, who was going to grow up to have a Man-Killer/Anaconda-esque 'lady bodybuilder' physique.

I like the psionic notion better, and would like for her to grow up to still be a tiny little woman who can paradoxically lift a tank, against all expectations.

For that matter, some day I wouldn't mind seeing a beefy musclebound telepath, who *looks* like a big beefy tank, but is actually a mentalist. Screw with those body type assumptions!

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I would hope. Like I said, I don't mind playing down the mutant connection to keep the series standing more alone but it's something you can also derive stories from.
    Yeah, I don't think making Molly not a mutant adds any interesting story potential. It only subtracts from it.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Molly being a mutant has never really been that important. Why would you need to downplay something that is already not having any impact? I'm pretty sure anyone who reads Runaways already has at least a vague idea of what a mutant is and since that has never been touched more deeply in Runaways stories it really doesn't stop the series from standing alone at all.
    I don't disagree, but the effort is there. Which gets even weirder as obviously she doesn't mind acknowledging the X-Men, just Molly bringing up the fact that she's a mutant. Which while rarely plot relevant was something the characters stated quite frequently in older series.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Yeah, I don't think making Molly not a mutant adds any interesting story potential. It only subtracts from it.
    I think it could add interesting things, I mean if that's what the opening arc was doing I enjoyed it. But maybe acknowledge it a bit more explicitly? It feels weird to have ignored the implications of it for a while. Even just having the X-Men supposedly being dead as one of the reasons Molly's been an emo lately would feel deserved.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I think it could add interesting things, I mean if that's what the opening arc was doing I enjoyed it. But maybe acknowledge it a bit more explicitly? It feels weird to have ignored the implications of it for a while. Even just having the X-Men supposedly being dead as one of the reasons Molly's been an emo lately would feel deserved.
    Oh, I mean, the opening arc was certainly interesting, and if the only way for that premise is to say "she's not a mutant", than I suppose that's true. But as it is, it seems to be that she can be both a mutant and have that weird mad scientist grandma element in her past. So long as those aren't mutually exclusive, taking the mutant element away doesn't add.

But, yeah, a bit more acknowledgement of the X-Men would be great. I wonder if the fact that the current status quo was created as a stopgap for Hickman's run would have anything to do with why so many books, Runaways included, don't reference it often.

The last time the X-men were mentioned, Karolina said that they tried to have her deported. It could be a touchy subject around the Hostel

That's true enough. It's not important unless it's further addressed I suppose.

As I said, I don't mind the series being isolated on principle. I just think some who might enjoy the book, are turned off due to how disconnected it feels from other titles. A few token references probably wouldn't help much, but you never know what could draw someone in and the book could use a few more readers. It's why as much as I think it would be unnecessary for Runaways' current narrative, I think a tie-in to an event might help.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The last time the X-men were mentioned, Karolina said that they tried to have her deported. It could be a touchy subject around the Hostel
    That line kinda bugged me, because that was SWORD, not the X-Men. I mean, sure, Beast was a member of SWORD at the time, but he wasn't onboard with the deportation plot either...

That line kinda bugged me, because that was SWORD, not the X-Men. I mean, sure, Beast was a member of SWORD at the time, but he wasn't onboard with the deportation plot either...
    Yeah, but I could see Karolina not really knowing any better. Beast was kind of the only person she knew there, and might not have seen the distinction at the time or in hindsight. The timeline of the story was only a few hours IIRC so she might not have bothered to get further clarification once she was freed. She definitely hasn't taken up Brand's offer of a favor as far as we know. I know she's not exactly the queen of space any more, but there's a card on the table that could still have value.

You know, depending on how creative your addition is, we aren't far from a potential Runaways #100.

Volume 1 = 18
    Volume 2 = 30
    Volume 3 = 14
    Volume 4 (Battleworld) = 4
    Volume 5 = 24 (currently solicited)
    By that math, #24 would be equivalent to #90. But we all know Marvel likes to get creative. Let's see what else they could throw in.

Civil War: Young Avengers and Runaways = 4
    Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers = 3
    Runaways Saga = 1
    If all those are included, we come to #24 being equivalent to #98. So, if they were so inclined, we could see them doing a #100 as soon as issue #26.

Now, seeing as they didn't do anything for Legacy back in the day, I'd be surprised if they actually had the numbering change to #100 in such a case. But I'd expect a variant cover at least. Marvel will take any excuse for a variant cover.

I actually asked Rowell about that on twitter a few months back. She's hoping we can make it to #100, but she doesn't personally count any of the mini-series or the FCBD/Saga One-shots. I think the number she agreed the 100th issue would be is the 38th issue of her series. At the time she implied that reaching that number would be a long-shot though. Something to aspire towards.

After there was nothing to celebrate the 75th issue, I would really hope they do something for the 100th. Even just an acknowledgement via legacy numbering would be nice.

There's no excuse not to add that immediately.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

75th isn't a big milestone number anyways but if the aim is to hit 100, I'm shocked there's no Legacy numbering yet.

I actually asked Rowell about that on twitter a few months back. She's hoping we can make it to #100, but she doesn't personally count any of the mini-series or the FCBD/Saga One-shots. I think the number she agreed the 100th issue would be is the 38th issue of her series. At the time she implied that reaching that number would be a long-shot though. Something to aspire towards.

After there was nothing to celebrate the 75th issue, I would really hope they do something for the 100th. Even just an acknowledgement via legacy numbering would be nice.
    Yeah, it's a matter of how you define it. Personally, I'd count at the very least count the Civil War and Secret Invasion minis, Saga too. Mostly because if you buy those "Runaways Complete Collection" volumes, those are inserted in there, in chronological order I believe. So they definitely feel like they "count", to me. I can see the argument against including Battleworld, but, if you're trying to be consistent with how Marvel number counting usually works, it'd be counted. Not that consistency is always the name of the game, granted...

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    75th isn't a big milestone number anyways but if the aim is to hit 100, I'm shocked there's no Legacy numbering yet.
    It wouldn't be the first comic to acknowledge 75 issues as a big deal is all, and it may have been nice to pretend that it was. That's the first step to actually being a big deal. I can't think of any good reason as to why there isn't any Legacy numbering. Sometimes lower numbers are less scary for people picking up the book for the first time, but I don't think it maters much. Not a lot of people new to Runaways start with single issues when the collected editions are arguably less difficult to find.

Yeah, it's a matter of how you define it. Personally, I'd count at the very least count the Civil War and Secret Invasion minis, Saga too. Mostly because if you buy those "Runaways Complete Collection" volumes, those are inserted in there, in chronological order I believe. So they definitely feel like they "count", to me. I can see the argument against including Battleworld, but, if you're trying to be consistent with how Marvel number counting usually works, it'd be counted. Not that consistency is always the name of the game, granted...
    I'm actually with you, I can see the argument against using those mini-series but for the sake of the 100th issue I'd throw them in. I don't think reaching #38 is realistic, but a few more issues and calling it there? That's doable, almost guaranteed if we're lucky in today's solicits.