• Xavin

1 1.64%
  • Klara Prast

0 0%
  • Topher

1 1.64%
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    What I found more interesting was that Alex was the only one who showed any reaction to Nico/Karolina kissing. I suppose he'd be the only one to take issue/potentially be hurt by it but I would have expected the others to congratulate the two. Unless everyone else already knew, and just hadn't mentioned anything.

But yeah, there are a handful of panels (including the final page) of Alex just wrapped in empty, negative space. He's not in a good place.
    Yeah, it seems to me that at some point within that period of time in the hostel they must've told them. It doesn't seem like Gert and Victor have told everyone about their situation yet, so curious if we'll be getting that soon.

I think at this point he finally gets it through his head how much the rest of them have moved on, like he says, they don't need him, but he needs them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Spoilers on the end of this newest issue

spoilers:
    I feel like the issue set Gert up to be the one that has left with Alex. She's the only one sympathetic to Alex, and she had that reaction panel when Alex mentions that Nico and Victor used to be a thing. Plus she's been feeling super disconnected from everybody anyhow. I honestly can't see it being Molly after this latest betrayal.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I don't know why Gert would be upset that Nico and Victor used to be a thing, not like this was done behind her back, or even recently, she only just now got together with him, not to mention Nico's currently with Karolina, so its not like she would have to worry about her trying to get with him for whatever reason.
    Plus while it makes sense why she could understand Alex's actions, she did so during the dinner too, I don't think she's completely on his side, especially considering she was the one who intervened to stop Bo and Rim, as well as stopping him from killing her boyfriend.

Molly is the one who seems to make the most sense, since she was the closest with him out of everyone during this time, but even then she's still aware of all the bad he's done, or just did, so I'd be curious what her goal is, and what Alex's overall goal to "get them to forgive him" is.
    end of spoilers

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

There are many writing practices commonly found in monthly superhero comics that absolutely frustrate me. Ending an issue on a cliffhanger isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Yeah, it seems to me that at some point within that period of time in the hostel they must've told them. It doesn't seem like Gert and Victor have told everyone about their situation yet, so curious if we'll be getting that soon.

I think at this point he finally gets it through his head how much the rest of them have moved on, like he says, they don't need him, but he needs them.

spoilers:
    Molly is the one who seems to make the most sense, since she was the closest with him out of everyone during this time, but even then she's still aware of all the bad he's done, or just did, so I'd be curious what her goal is, and what Alex's overall goal to "get them to forgive him" is.
    end of spoilers
    Realistically they could have just seen the writing on the wall, I just think it warrants a conversation on panel is all. We could still get that, or yeah maybe it's not a big deal for any of them.

While I acknowledge they've moved on I find it funny that they're literally squatting in the original Hostel again. I guess McConaughey was right, sometimes you have to go back to move forwards.

spoilers:
    As far as we know, none of the others know the actual bad things Alex has done. Betrayal sucks, but he ultimately failed. He actually sent a man to hell during his brief tenure as a Luke Cage villain. Why would Molly go with him even without knowing that? I dunno. A lot of mileage could come out of him helping Molly stop Chase's deal with the Gibborim. But for that to happen the book would have to acknowledge Chase's betrayal.

Is it so crazy that Alex just wanted his friends to accept him again?
    end of spoilers
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post

spoilers:
    I don't know why Gert would be upset that Nico and Victor used to be a thing, not like this was done behind her back, or even recently, she only just now got together with him, not to mention Nico's currently with Karolina, so its not like she would have to worry about her trying to get with him for whatever reason.
    Plus while it makes sense why she could understand Alex's actions, she did so during the dinner too, I don't think she's completely on his side, especially considering she was the one who intervened to stop Bo and Rim, as well as stopping him from killing her boyfriend.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I never said she was on his side, to be fair. I think she's feeling outside, and can understand how Alex may feel. She's been disconnected from everyone for a while now, and has had trouble finding that old bond. More than anybody there, she gets what Alex is feeling.

Also, the thing with Nico and Victor is less about anything Vic and Nico did, or didn't do, than it is about Gert. She's always had self-esteem issues. Now you find out that the boy you like was making out with one of "the hot ones," as it were. Add in that it is another thing she missed with the time skip and it adds to the feeling she already has that she has simply missed so much. Perhaps too much.

On the flip side, Alex is still very much the same kid he was at the end of Volume 1. He hasn't changed. At all. He's familiar. He's understood. Having also been dead, he understands the feelings Gert is experiencing of suddenly being on the outside looking in. I don't think Gert trusts Alex in the slightest. But he's reliably treacherous. He follows certain rules, and if you understand how he thinks you can see where he's going to sell you out. I think Gert's going to see him as somebody she can manage. Not redeem, or trust, but manage. And who doesn't make her feel like she's missed half her life every time they open their mouth.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    spoilers:
    As far as we know, none of the others know the actual bad things Alex has done. Betrayal sucks, but he ultimately failed. He actually sent a man to hell during his brief tenure as a Luke Cage villain. Why would Molly go with him even without knowing that? I dunno. A lot of mileage could come out of him helping Molly stop Chase's deal with the Gibborim. But for that to happen the book would have to acknowledge Chase's betrayal.

Is it so crazy that Alex just wanted his friends to accept him again?
    end of spoilers
    I think for me personally, it's hard to buy them being able to completely accept him again, just because he was never truly their friend. Right from the beginning he was manipulating everything and planning to kill them. Outside of Nico, I don't really believe he even likes any of them, even Molly it seems he sees her more as an easy tool he can manipulate.

Now that there's no "end of the world" plot he can use to justify his actions, I think he recognizes he wants that familiar bond they all share, but can't have it due to himself pushing everyone away in pursuit of his own power. Maybe whoever is with him will try and help him change his ways that could lead to actually being accepted by everyone, or maybe he'll spiral down the dark path of seeking power again.

spoilers:
    The thing is that Molly has always been the one who wanted her parents back. She's always been the one willing to look past their sins. She had always wanted to go home.

When Alex came back she wanted to know if her parents could too (although I may be confusing this with Geoffrey Wilder).

She knew her grandmother was a mad scientist who was experimenting on her and who's cats were telepathically monitoring her at all times, but she over looked that because it was her family.

So yeah, Molly is the most trusting and forgiving of the kids. So I don't think it would be out of place for her to give Alex a real chance at redemption.

Which is funny because TV Molly is the exact opposite, she'd never forgive the Yorkes
    end of spoilers

That last part might be because Molly is older in the TV show. Comics Molly is still a naive kid.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    spoilers:
    I never said she was on his side, to be fair. I think she's feeling outside, and can understand how Alex may feel. She's been disconnected from everyone for a while now, and has had trouble finding that old bond. More than anybody there, she gets what Alex is feeling.

Also, the thing with Nico and Victor is less about anything Vic and Nico did, or didn't do, than it is about Gert. She's always had self-esteem issues. Now you find out that the boy you like was making out with one of "the hot ones," as it were. Add in that it is another thing she missed with the time skip and it adds to the feeling she already has that she has simply missed so much. Perhaps too much.

On the flip side, Alex is still very much the same kid he was at the end of Volume 1. He hasn't changed. At all. He's familiar. He's understood. Having also been dead, he understands the feelings Gert is experiencing of suddenly being on the outside looking in. I don't think Gert trusts Alex in the slightest. But he's reliably treacherous. He follows certain rules, and if you understand how he thinks you can see where he's going to sell you out. I think Gert's going to see him as somebody she can manage. Not redeem, or trust, but manage. And who doesn't make her feel like she's missed half her life every time they open their mouth.
    end of spoilers
    I agree with everything you posted here. Well said. Really insightful.

spoilers:
    Maybe Molly will just leave with him out of a sense of responsibility. After all if it wasn't for her parents alongside the Deans betraying the other families, the situation in which Alex betrayed the others wouldn't even exist. They'd just be groomed to inherit the Earth with varying levels of knowledge about the Pride. Molly's parents were traitors, she still can't help but love them. She clearly is far more willing to overlook/forgive betrayal, and might just want to make sure Alex is alright.
    end of spoilers

EDIT: Also, Rowell tweeted a bit about the series last night. Nothing too important, but she noted the character's ages, and Alex is fairly interesting.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 02-14-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

You know what I might like to see? Runaways be included into more of Marvel's themed variant covers series. Variants aren't important or anything, and I suppose Runaways isn't the only title that is regularly not a part of them. But I dunno, I think it might be nice to see a variant here or there, War of the Realms is a bit of a stretch but a cat variant? That seems like something that might be worth doing.

Yeah, that's interesting, alright.
    spoilers:
    So Alex has been immortal since his resurrection back in Avengers Undercover?
    end of spoilers
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, that's interesting, alright.
    spoilers:
    So Alex has been immortal since his resurrection back in Avengers Undercover?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    More or less I suppose. He might be able to still be killed but apparently he's ageless, and doesn't have to eat. Sucks for a guy who desperately wants to be treated as an adult.
    end of spoilers

Wait...
    spoilers:
    That may explain Molly going with him. She came very close to ending up in basically the same situation, never aging, thanks to that magical cupcake.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Perhaps. Potentially being in the same situation can definitely create some sympathy. She could just feel like she's a screw up as well, may as well go with the other screw up.
    end of spoilers

I don't think she even knows about this though?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think she even knows about this though?
    She probably doesn't, but she did spend time with Alex in the Old Lace story in issue #14. We don't know what was being discussed over cards, if anyone else knows it would probably be her is all.