1 1.64%
  • Klara Prast

0 0%
  • Topher

1 1.64%
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Enjoyed the issue. spoilers:
    I kind of like the idea of Doc Justice being a semi-famous local hero who fought the Pride, that is if this is on the level. It's not the worst angle, and would kind of explain why he's an unknown. If your arch-foes ostensibly don't exist, you're not going to be all that known outside of a few circles. Happy that the Hostel is gone, it's a move away from the original series nostalgia. Still not happy that they're ignoring how active they were in superheroics for the majority of their existence though.
    end of spoilers
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Doc Justice looks like a beefy Oscar Isaac. I approve.

The striped hair immediately made me thing of Jason Todd from Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin series. Might be the primarily red costume as well.

Man, I actually really like the TV series season 3 poster Kris Anka drew for NYCC.

Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The art in today's issue was gorgeous.

-Pav, who isn't sure how to feel about Doc Justice...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    The striped hair immediately made me thing of Jason Todd from Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin series. Might be the primarily red costume as well.

Man, I actually really like the TV series season 3 poster Kris Anka drew for NYCC.

That’s cool but Morgan le Fay as the villain still feels like the most random thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post

It's so interesting to see him drawing the show versions. Alex looks pretty much the same. Nico also feels similar besides the hair. But the others are completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's so interesting to see him drawing the show versions. Alex looks pretty much the same. Nico also feels similar besides the hair. But the others are completely different.
    Gert doesn't look too different, although the structure of the face is a little changed.

Nico, at least to me, looks more like her older design compared to how he was drawing her with the relaunch.

[SIGH] I think I've lost "that lovin' feelin" gang.
    I'm unsure I'll continue following the Runaways, beyond thread-drifting now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nico, at least to me, looks more like her older design compared to how he was drawing her with the relaunch.
    Yeah, she did have long hair originally. The short hair has only been a thing since A-Force.

Of course Chase looks different, he's never had a traditional short haircut like that in the comics. And Molly was racelifted for the show, which is why she looks nothing like the comics version. Old Lace's design was changed because when the comics first started we didn't know dinosaurs had feathers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Of course Chase looks different, he's never had a traditional short haircut like that in the comics.
    It is funny that the actor who plays Chase looks like the 'jock' that Victor Stein was calling his son in their first appearance (as he's hitting him). Meanwhile, the art in that introduction shows some stoner-looking kid who looks like he lives with a great dane in a van and says 'Yoiks!' a lot.

He did look like Shaggy originally, didn't he? And I suppose the VW van the Runaways have now is similar to the Mystery Machine.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's weird seeing him capture the likeness of the actors after having him do his own thing for 16 issues. His Gardner as Karolina reminds me of his Julie Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    [SIGH] I think I've lost "that lovin' feelin" gang.
    I'm unsure I'll continue following the Runaways, beyond thread-drifting now and then.
    Haven't been digging the last few issues? I'm still on board myself, but I've had my fair share of frustration with this run. It's an odd problem to have a book's characters feel so utterly unimportant.

I kinda feel like they made Karolina/Nico happen too fast. The dynamic of Nico being the one pining for an unavailable Karolina was a compelling inversion, but they resolved it so quickly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I kinda feel like they made Karolina/Nico happen too fast. The dynamic of Nico being the one pining for an unavailable Karolina was a compelling inversion, but they resolved it so quickly.
    I've got that weird unexplainable 'I don't know what specifically I don't like, but I know I'm not liking it' vaguely dissatisfied feeling. I'm torn between 'this all happened too fast' and 'OMG, it's taking too long and nothing is happening!' I really want to like it, and so I'll keep on keeping on, but it feels like the story is sort of spinning it's wheels, and the last time anything really 'big' happened in their lives, it was Wilder Sr. coming back from the dead, which was years and writers ago... This has all been various levels of restoring status quos (Alex is back, Gert is back, Molly is back with the gang), and, IMO, not enough *NEW* stuff happening. (The addition of Gib, for that reason, at least intrigues me, since it's new, and I don't think the property can survive and grow without new characters coming into the gang's lives (and, unfortunately, some departing as well, although that doesn't seem to be allowed, as anyone removed is just added back later, even if from beyond the grave!))

This series did a great job of recreating the magic of the original run; now it's time to hopefully expand the Runaways mythos with some new villains and conflicts.

I've long thought that some of the lesser-known young characters in the MU should appear as Runaways antagonists. For example, let's see the Livewires come after Victor; let's see the Spellbinders come after Nico.

The Runaways finding out that there are others out there *like them* should lead to some fun possibilities.

-Pav, who would love to see the Craptacular B-Sides return...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details