• Xavin

1 1.64%
  • Klara Prast

0 0%
  • Topher

1 1.64%
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I wonder if Van is going to be Chase's new love interest. She seems like his type

I wouldn't be opposed. Rowell has stated on twitter that she hopes to expand on the character's lives outside of the Hostel eventually. And yes, she appears to be very much Chase's type.

New issue tomorrow. Let us speculate on the other things Chase buys at Haul-Mart. I foresee him forgetting to buy a new box of agar agar.

Spoilers for RUNAWAYS #21:

spoilers:
    - Chase is out shopping* for the girls as shown in the preview. On the following pages he's texting, and calling the others to make sure he gets everything as well as to keep tabs on everyone. Beetle was on the ball, Chase really hits it off with Van. To the point that she basically asks him out on a date, Chase declines. It wouldn't be the responsible thing to do.
    - Prior to the preview Karolina is shown in a session with her therapist. She feels simultaneously the happiest, and most anxious she's been in years. It checks out. After her therapy session the preview pages happen. She saves the little girl!
    - When Chase gets home he's greeted by Gib (whose holding up a wall), and Nico (who isn't doing much of note). Molly is still angsting so Chase has a heartfelt discussion with her. I like Sad/Angry Molly, it checks out.
    - After having to use the secondary washroom Chase discovers Victor's body (no one has seen him in a day or two, it's a big house). Panicking he runs through the Hostel yelling for the others. On the final page, Chase witnesses a newly embodied Victor making out with Gert.

*He picks up what appears to be: Hygiene products, cat food, olives, a soldering iron, and tomato sauce. The absence of agar, salt, and bleach from the kitchen was not noticed apparently.
    end of spoilers

All in all a good issue, not much to say about the series that I haven't already. I think it's good that Rowell clarified her intentions from the last issue, if she hadn't of I think #21 would have felt rather awkward. But aside from that the only thing I'll note is that some of Genolet's backgrounds felt more flat than they did in the previous issues. Not as much detail, not as much depth. Might just be seeing things though.

Solid issue with the focus squarely on Chase and his role as "the responsible one" -- which is kinda crazy if you consider his past -- yet we also get a lot of depth regarding the status of his relationships with his Runaways family.

I like Van, who seems Gert-like in appearance and personality; I foresee a love square coming really soon. Rowell is BKV-level in regards to creating troubling love lives for the gang.

Here's what I wonder: who is Karolina's therapist? Have we seen before?

Could be as simple as Doc Samson, but that doesn't seem like it would require a reveal. Moonstone, maybe?

-Pav, who loved the lone Gib line...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Solid issue with the focus squarely on Chase and his role as "the responsible one" -- which is kinda crazy if you consider his past -- yet we also get a lot of depth regarding the status of his relationships with his Runaways family.

I like Van, who seems Gert-like in appearance and personality; I foresee a love square coming really soon. Rowell is BKV-level in regards to creating troubling love lives for the gang.

Here's what I wonder: who is Karolina's therapist? Have we seen before?

Could be as simple as Doc Samson, but that doesn't seem like it would require a reveal. Moonstone, maybe?

-Pav, who loved the lone Gib line...
    Could be Jericho too. Brother Voodoo. He's a licensed psychologist.

But, yeah, I'm eager to find out. I'm kind of torn though because on the one hand we're talking superhero-adjacent comics so the likelihood of the therapist being sinister is high -- but additionally, I'd kind of rather it not be(?) because I really love what Rowell was delivering in regard to the value of therapy. So I'd kind of like it to be legit.

Was Molly's mom a therapist? IIRC both her parents were "Doctors" but having a doctrate is pretty broad so ...maybe? Maybe Nu-Alice ditched Grandma Hayes when SHIELD came to collect and got herself a job? lol

Yeah, the evil therapist angle has been done to death in superhero comics. Sure, there's Doc Sampson but that feels like an odd role to me. I'm hoping it's just an honest demonstration of the value of a good therapist.

Molly's mother was a speech therapist, which doesn't exclude her from being a practicing psychiatrist. She was a doctor after all. But from what I understand it has more in common with physiotherapy, or elocution. Someone else probably knows more about it than I do. lol

Oh, and did anybody else notice that Van has already appeared before? It didn't register until I looked at last month's cover, and realized she had also appeared inside #15.

RUNAWAYS #24
    RAINBOW ROWELL (W)
    Andres Genolet (A)
    COVER BY KRIS ANKA
    • Look out, West Coast Avengers and Superior Spider-Man! Karolina Dean is searching for a sense of purpose as California’s NEWEST SUPER HERO!
    • A chance at self-actualization is the best reason to put your life on the line for others! Right?
    • But what consequences await the Runaways if Nico has to use her magic to support Karolina and keep her safe?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

The lesbian colors on her costume aoisjaoijs. Is she gonna call herself Sapphic Woman or something?

Wow, Karolina and Nico in real superhero costumes. I never thought I'd see the day

Looks like being magical support is going to exasperate Nico's influence by the One

I gotta say, I don't hate it. It's going to be fun seeing some of them go back into actually crime-fighting, and doing it in style to boot. I wonder what Karolina's superhero name will be, I'm hoping for a play on the word "Pride."

Nico helping her out is definitely going to move forward the plot with the staff of one as well. I like what I'm seeing if this is going to be what takes us to hopefully issue #30.

We just seen Karolina's heroic debut this week so it makes sense she's found a new purpose but Nico helping her via staff will likely eat at soul more and will likely be the basis to the next arc as we head to #30. Also just realized, what if Karolina being LAs new hero connect to Julie leaving Earth to join the FF?

My heart paused when I read "West Coast Avengers".

I was so hyped for a crossover with any other super youths.

Le sigh.

This is cool too.