• Xavin

1 1.64%
  • Klara Prast

0 0%
  • Topher

1 1.64%
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    It is, and I still stand by the fact that her glow looks so much better when contrasted with darker colors. The hat, and legs actually work for me.
    I feel like Karolina's outfits trended towards earthier colors in Volume 1 and 2, but after Volume 3 ended she got stuck in that white and gold number Pichelli gave her for the prom scene (it will never not be weird that they showed up wearing those outfits again in Avengers Academy) and since then it's been lots of whites and golds and pinks.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I feel like Karolina's outfits trended towards earthier colors in Volume 1 and 2, but after Volume 3 ended she got stuck in that white and gold number Pichelli gave her for the prom scene (it will never not be weird that they showed up wearing those outfits again in Avengers Academy) and since then it's been lots of whites and golds and pinks.
    Agreed, I think I can see that. The pre-existing outfits that artists pulled from during their limbo appearances has definitely had an effect on their current aesthetic. Some of them ended up weirder than others.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I like Karol with the light outfits. It fits her personality and contrasts well with Nico.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    if everything lines up, the 25th issue is the start of a new arc but man, I just want the Victor-Viv meeting already.
    Maybe the team becoming active superheroes could get the Champions' attention... and they show up to confront the Runaways because Victor killed Vin Vision?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I like Karol with the light outfits. It fits her personality and contrasts well with Nico.
    I can agree with that, I just think they take away from her visual presence when she's in action. If not something dark to contrast her glow, I'd rather a full body glow effect than a white/pink outfit.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

There's a reason most Majesdanians we've seen have worn black and grey outfits. It contrasts with the rainbow energy well, and makes the color really pop.

Of course it makes sense that maybe Karolina is subconsciously choosing to distance herself from those colors and her heritage by choosing to wear the opposite, mostly white.

So I noticed on twitter a day ago that some (mostly younger) fans of the show/comic dislike that the team name for the villainous parents is the Pride/P.R.I.D.E because of its similarity to LGBT+ Pride month. How does everyone feel about this?

I mean, I know we're not likely to see a Marvel comic titled "The Pride" anytime soon as there's already an independent LGBT+ Super book with that name. But I like the name "The Pride" as it relates to a group of lions. Which of course are very fearsome animals that are protective of their young. It feels like a thematically appropriate name for the group. I can see not wanting to relate the word with a group of villains, but I don't think it's too much of a big deal.

Apologies for being insensitive(?) but I think its a ridiculous argument. Some folks are just too eager to soap box things that need not be championed. The PRIDE's existence has zilch to do with our community's celebratory/historical recognition/festival/parade/ of PRIDE. We don't get to claim ownership. Its a WORD that has existed loooong before we fostered its application. Its a silly argument.

The name works.

My only worry is that some people might be actively turned off by the name. Ideally those turned off wouldn't worry much after a sentence or two of explanation, but there'd probably be some resistance.

To be fair though, it appears that most people are merely amused by the name rather than put off by it. Kitty Pryde would probably be in a similar situation if she was EVIL.

Ultimate Member

But I like the name "The Pride" as it relates to a group of lions. Which of course are very fearsome animals that are protective of their young. It feels like a thematically appropriate name for the group. I can see not wanting to relate the word with a group of villains, but I don't think it's too much of a big deal.
    I like the 'Pride of Lions' association you bring up even more, but I always associated it with the deadliest of the seven sins, pride, instead. Either way, never with 'Pride month,' which seems silly, on the face of the Runaways in the running with the Young Avengers for Marvels LGBT friendliest comic ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like the 'Pride of Lions' association you bring up even more, but I always associated it with the deadliest of the seven sins, pride, instead.
    Back in the day I thought that them being called the Pride was also indicative of there potentially being six other similar groups. That obviously never played out, but if they're ever in need of villains to fight....

Its like.... if Rainbow ever has one of the characters saying "Me too".
    That doesn't mean they are making direct reference to that movement.
    I mean, unless of course that is her intent. But the movement doesn't get to claim ownership you know?

Again: silly.

I don't think it's as bad as that. People read into the meaning of of proper nouns all the time, without context it isn't unnatural to make incorrect connections. Especially in a case in which a noun has meaning as a proper name in two different contexts. Judging by a few jokes* during BKV's later issues he was very much aware that people would make the connection between "The Pride" and "Gay Pride." That might not have occurred to him during the name's inception, but if he eventually made the connection himself I don't think it's an unfair thing for people who haven't read the book to do.

*In hindsight it's less of a joke, and more an ex-cop being an *******.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-25-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

Back in the day I thought that them being called the Pride was also indicative of there potentially being six other similar groups. That obviously never played out, but if they're ever in need of villains to fight....
    I always wondered if the kids would run into a *second* Pride that the Gibborim had started as 'backup' a couple of years later (when they'd built up enough power to recruit another group of patsies as they did the first Pride). These villains would not be paired off and not be prone to having kids, since the Gibborim would have looked askance at that whole development (our goal was to make *less* humans, and our recruits are making *more?*), and be more nutso and anti-social, like really real villains who would thrill at the idea of being one of the few survivors left after a planetary genocide. Nihilists, serial killers, apocalyptic cultists, similar charming people and the sort that would kind of unintentionally soften the kids view of their parents...

But yeah, best not to get too literal with a 'seven deadly sins' theme. "Why are they so fat?" "Well, Pride was taken, so this is 'The Gluttony.' Just be glad we aren't facing 'The Lust.' I think we'd have to leave Molly at home for that one. She's not ready to see that..."

Yeah, I don't really know how they'd go about it myself. The Christopher Golden young adult novel kind of played with the idea of there being multiple pseudo-Pride organizations, but the twist was that it was the children who were evil. They didn't really represent another one of the sins.

"Pride" being the only sin that already exists as a group term makes it sound a lot nicer than "The Envy" or "The Sloth." Though fighting a giant sloth would be amusing.