• Xavin

1 1.64%
  • Klara Prast

0 0%
  • Topher

1 1.64%
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I didn't expect it to be left hanging or anything, from what I understand it's fairly popular. But with the cancellations over on Netflix, before the new wave of Marvel/Hulu shows were announced I was a little concerned. Very much glad that even with Marvel moving away from Netflix, they're not divorcing themselves from every streaming service to pave way for the upcoming Disney one.

In any case, if the show continues it's more likely that Marvel will keep the book in publication. It's not a bad sign.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I didn't expect it to be left hanging or anything, from what I understand it's fairly popular. But with the cancellations over on Netflix, before the new wave of Marvel/Hulu shows were announced I was a little concerned. Very much glad that even with Marvel moving away from Netflix, they're not divorcing themselves from every streaming service to pave way for the upcoming Disney one.

In any case, if the show continues it's more likely that Marvel will keep the book in publication. It's not a bad sign.
    When it comes to the Defenders shows, It's not Marvel divorcing themselves from Netflix, it's Netflix divorcing themselves from Marvel. With the Fox deal, Disney is gonna own 60% of Hulu, so... They can probably pretty much do whatever they want there, like how they forced ABC to renew AOS lol.

Spoilers for Runaways #18:

spoilers:
    - After the preview Alex continues to stall for time while the others chew him out, and lick their wounds.
    - Gert uses the distraction to command the time machine to plow into Bo, and Rim to send them into the future where ideally humanity is already dead.
    - They all take turns yelling at Alex while he continues to explain his actions through "At least I had a plan." Gert is the only one who seems to agree that his actions were justified.
    - The entire team is more concerned with Doombot being broken than anything else.
    - Alex leaves while they tend to Doombot. The captioning indicates that Alex needs the team more than the team needs him.
    - The issue leaves on a cliffhanger as an unseen Runways offers to go with Alex.
    end of spoilers

Not a bad issue, but I felt that the solution to the conflict against the Seeds was kind of anti-climatic. spoilers:
    The loss of the time machine kind of ruins any hope I had for Volume 3 to get any proper narrative resolution, but some of you may be pleased to know that for the first time in 15 years I actually like Gert.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Personamanx; 02-13-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

spoilers:
    I thought the solution to defeating Bo and Rim was fitting for the Runaways, particularly Gert. Of course she doesn't have enough faith that humanity will still be around in a thousand years, so sending them away will save the present for now.
    They almost never win through brute force or having an organized plan. It's almost always luck or outside interference or sideways thinking.
    I was enjoying Gert as a time traveller though, it was a cool role.

And it's definitely Molly who is leaving with Alex
    end of spoilers

Beloved Beetle: Do you have theories why you suspect who you suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Beloved Beetle: Do you have theories why you suspect who you suspect?
    spoilers:
    Karolina is bonding with Gib so she's staying
    Victor was mourning over Doombot and was nearly sacrificed by Alex so they aren't going to be besties any time soon
    Chase and Nico don't like or trust Alex
    And while Gert is sympathetic to him, I just don't see her leaving without Victor or Chase

Meanwhile Molly has feelings of abandonment from the others and has always been a bit more open to trusting Alex again
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:
    They almost never win through brute force or having an organized plan. It's almost always luck or outside interference or sideways thinking.
    I was enjoying Gert as a time traveller though, it was a cool role.

And it's definitely Molly who is leaving with Alex
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, not for the main points of conflict in their stories at least. But I think they have enough actual hero cred that I wish the resolution was more indicative of their skill of working as a group. Granted I guess one of the themes of this series is they don't really have any, but I think it's a little bit of a disservice to their career as LA's only super-group. But like I said, I liked Gert actually doing something to resolve a problem. Alex made a window of opportunity, and she used it. Well done.

Ditto to that. I would say that going by this issue Gert seems like the prime choice, but I cannot realistically see Rowell writing her out of the book for any period of time. Molly's the only character who seemed genuinely happy to have Alex back, and writing her out might help with the current mutant situation going on in the X-Books. I'm only looking from a distance, but things seem to be going south for the X-Folk. Molly's situation might have to change if she stays in the title.
    end of spoilers

Agree that the solution to dealing with Bo and Rim was a little underwhelming -- in fact, this issue was maybe the first that kinda seemed lacking in content.

I was glad to see the word "nisanti" used in the Gibborim spellcasting, and I still hold out hope that, eventually, the destinies of the Runaways and the Hood become entwined together.

I'm curious what the plan is for Gib. Is he the newest Runaway? If so, Rainbow is doing a good job of giving the kids the beginning of an interesting, relevant supporting cast -- Doombot being the other prime example.

-Pav, who hopes he isn't gone long...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Strange seems like months or years since reading the last issue.

I can not say I'm surprised at how they solved the problem the Runaways usually solve almost everything on the basis of improvisation. Not that I'm complaining this seems to work well for them.

I can not understand why @#$%& Molly would want to leave with Alex (jerk) but that means Alex will continue to be part of future stories and I hoping for him to be the sacrifice unfortunately we can not have everything we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    spoilers:
    I was glad to see the word "nisanti" used in the Gibborim spellcasting, and I still hold out hope that, eventually, the destinies of the Runaways and the Hood become entwined together.

I'm curious what the plan is for Gib. Is he the newest Runaway? If so, Rainbow is doing a good job of giving the kids the beginning of an interesting, relevant supporting cast -- Doombot being the other prime example.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's something that I would love to see addressed somewhere down the line. Maybe not during this run, I think a major confrontation/connection with the Hood would be better saved for when the book regains more of its lost action elements. Not sure how much can be milked out of it, but there's potential.

It appears that Gib is sticking around, I guess that makes him the newest Runaway. I'm pretty sure the only qualifier now is that you live in the hostel, and the others tolerate your presence. I hope the recurring characters continue to show up, personally I need to meet Chase's co-workers at the dump.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    LA's only super-group.
    Uh, West Coast Avengers?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Uh, West Coast Avengers?
    Uh, wasn't an active team in 2005.

Am I the only one who found it super funny that we pretty much got a ~ship collage~ and it's Karolina/Nico, Gert/Victor... Chase/Old Lace and Alex/Darkness? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Am I the only one who found it super funny that we pretty much got a ~ship collage~ and it's Karolina/Nico, Gert/Victor... Chase/Old Lace and Alex/Darkness? LOL.
    What I found more interesting was that Alex was the only one who showed any reaction to Nico/Karolina kissing. I suppose he'd be the only one to take issue/potentially be hurt by it but I would have expected the others to congratulate the two. Unless everyone else already knew, and just hadn't mentioned anything.

But yeah, there are a handful of panels (including the final page) of Alex just wrapped in empty, negative space. He's not in a good place.

Mighty Member

Spoilers on the end of this newest issue

spoilers:
    I feel like the issue set Gert up to be the one that has left with Alex. She's the only one sympathetic to Alex, and she had that reaction panel when Alex mentions that Nico and Victor used to be a thing. Plus she's been feeling super disconnected from everybody anyhow. I honestly can't see it being Molly after this latest betrayal.
    end of spoilers

This issue was mostly terrible. The first real stinker of the run. The resolution was too quick and glossed over, even though it made sense. And the complete cop out of the ending is completely unforgivable. Just straight up bad comic writing, period. If you're not going to show us which of the kids is jumping ship, then just save the whole plot line for next issue. It's an attempt to shock the reader without putting in any effort to actually earn it. And I think it's emblematic of having absolutely no respect for your reader, nor any faith in your plot to carry itself.

There were some nice character beats in between all the terrible, but this goes down as the worst issue of the run so far by a wide margin. Hopefully back to stronger work next month.