Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Default Polaris: Lorna Dane Appreciation 2019

Welcome, to Lorna Dane AKA Polaris' appreciation thread! This is Lorna's third appreciation thread, with the previous two being closed.

Name: Lorna Sally Dane
    Debut: X-Men #49 (October 1968)
    Powers: Electromagnetic Manipulation

Uncanny X-Men's Spotlight:

https://uncannyxmen.net/characters/polaris

Other Media:

The Gifted. Currently in its second season, The Gifted is an X-Men based TV show, where Lorna has made her live action debut. Portrayed by Emma Dumont, Polaris was recruited to lead the Mutant Underground, before leaving to join the Inner Circle.

Wolverine and The X-Men.

Summary from Wikipedia:

Polaris appears in the animated series Wolverine and the X-Men, voiced by Liza del Mundo. She had a very close relationship with her father on Genosha. In the future during the episode "Badlands", Polaris was the sole survivor after Genosha was destroyed thanks to Magneto's last-minute attempt to save her. In the present, she forms a brief attraction to Gambit when he tries to steal Magneto's helmet as part of a larger plot, though he later ends their relationship, causing her to angrily leave him stranded out at sea (causing Gambit to remark that she has her father's power and her sister's temper). In the episode "Foresight" Pt. 3, her future self assists in the X-Men's fight against Master Mold, but Master Mold proves too powerful for them to defeat. However, in light of the X-Men in the past's intervention, the Sentinel-run world is avoided. Back in the present Polaris later turns her back on her father and watches him get banished as Scarlet Witch has Blink teleport Magneto and Quicksilver away.
    X-Men: The Animated series

Summary from Wikipedia:

Polaris appears in the animated television series X-Men, voiced by Terri Hawkes. In the episode "Cold Comfort", she is a member of X-Factor. Polaris had been a member of the X-Men alongside her boyfriend Iceman, though they eventually left to pursue a normal life. However, Polaris left Iceman and became a member of X-Factor and fell in love with Havok. She returns in the final season to help battle the Phalanx. Polaris also makes a brief cameo during the two-part episode "Sanctuary".
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaris_(comics)

Previous Appreciation Threads:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...S-Appreciation

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2018
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 12-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.

BANNED

Default Lorna Dane: POLARIS Appreciation 2019

Less about where the character's been:

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    ... AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1 (of 5)
    VITA AYALA (W) • GERMAN PERALTA (A) • Cover by PATCH ZIRCHER
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    SECRET VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY Inhyuk Lee
    ENTER THE AGE OF X-MAN!
    In the Age of X-Man, when you break the law, you aren’t sent to just any prison. You’re sent to the Danger Room…a penitentiary filled with the roughest and meanest mutants that don’t fit into X-Man’s utopia. They each have a reason for being there. And they’re all ready to kill each other. But that’s about to change, because the newest prisoner just arrived…Lucas Bishop!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99...
    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

Upcoming cover featuring Polaris by Patch Zircher, no doubt part of Prisoner X...

DenOfGeek.com, The Gifted Season 2 Episode 10 Return Date, Trailer, and Details
    ... The Gifted Season 2 Episode 10: eneMy of My eneMy

The Mutant Underground wrestles with the idea of recruiting the Inner Circle to assist them. Andy considers reconnecting with his family when he learns about his father's powers, but Lauren may not be as willing to have him back as their parents. Find out if the Mutant Underground and Inner Circle will be able to put their differences aside in order to save John from the Purifiers.

airdate: 1/1/19...

... and more about where she's goin'! 8D
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 01-01-2019 at 10:44 AM.

BANNED

My bad, Soulsword, I didn't catch yours before I started & posted mine. The mods will have to merge them. If ya want, I added the following for Thread Tags, to mine: gifted, lorna dane, marvel, polaris, x-men

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    My bad, Soulsword, I didn't catch yours before I started & posted mine. The mods will have to merge them. If ya want, I added the following for Thread Tags, to mine: gifted, lorna dane, marvel, polaris, x-men
    That's fine! Mods can just merge them together. I added those tags to mine as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    That's fine! Mods can just merge them together. I added those tags to mine as well.
    Cool, and thanX! Would you mind if the title became Lorna Dane: POLARIS Appreciation 2019, when they do?

Cool, and thanX! Would you mind if the title became Lorna Dane: POLARIS Appreciation 2019, when they do?
    Yeah, I'm fine with the name change. Is that the way its supposed to be? I wasn't sure when I started this one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Yeah, I'm fine with the name change. Is that the way its supposed to be? I wasn't sure when I started this one.
    ThanX again!! Yeah, I guess, tho I'm not sure how much it matters. And eXcept for POLARIS bein' in all caps, that's just a personal flourish I added. Which I'm not sure they'd abide by, anyway.

BANNED

Leading up to her AoXM Prisoner X appearance(s), some of her more memorable moments from the recent--and concluding soon--Uncanny relaunch, Disassembled:

The middle page, from #2, is a personal pick. With her being the closest to him of those there, IMO, I liked that she was shown as the one who tried to talk Jamie down. Yes, I'm thankful for the small things, ;p - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 01-09-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Happy New Year to the Mistress of Magnetism and all her fans .

Strange that they're deciding to lock threads after less than a year, but hey, it's their board. I'm glad this new thread is starting with a summary of the character and where versions of her are available. Not a fan that the Havok history stands out so prominently in the summary compared to other things, but it is what it is. Only thing I'd strongly suggest for an edit is including that she had her origin story told and what it revealed. I find that more important than a lot of what's already there.

I've added the rest of other media from the prior thread.
    Last edited by salarta; 01-01-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Polaris in Other Media

For purposes of introduction, this post will simply highlight what exists, not share any particular thoughts about quality or that interpretation. CBR limits number of external images in a post to three, so I'm selecting the three I think should or must be highlighted instead of making multiple posts.

In general, Lorna didn't have much of a presence in other media until the mid/late 00s. The greatest activity for her is relatively new.

I'm not including Gifted on this list because it's already covered in the first post.

X-Men: The Animated Series

Lorna was in a few episodes of the 90s X-Men cartoon. At the time, she was mainly known for being a member of X-Factor and Havok's girlfriend, which were her roles in the story.

Wolverine and the X-Men

This cartoon came out in 2008 and was the first show to use and explore her relationship to her father and her family. The story of the season (and series) shows her on Genosha both in the present and in the future (after Genosha's destruction and the loss of her dad and family). One episode centers on her being wooed by Gambit.

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Technically her first video game appearance. As explained by jmc247, Polaris was originally slated to be a meaningful character in the game due to her involvement in Genosha, but the role was passed to her sister Scarlet Witch. As a result, Lorna's role was reduced to being captured by Apocalypse and only briefly seen in the background.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

I'm including this entry for completeness. Lorna is included in the background of art for Magneto's ending. Noteworthy is that during hype period, rumors circulated claiming Lorna would be playable alongside other characters like Apocalypse and Cyclops.

The Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past

A mobile game created as a tie-in with the live action film of the same name. Lorna was playable as an update, with her own distinct abilities and animations. Unfortunately, development ceased before release of Magneto (and I think Storm too), and the company that renamed itself as Gigataur shut down. The game can no longer be downloaded from app stores. But, it's significant for being her first playable appearance where she was uniquely worked on.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

First playable appearance of Lorna, as an unlockable character. She was essentially a skin given Magneto's power set.

This completes the current list of notable other media appearances - again, aside from Gifted which was mentioned in the first post. To avoid having an excessively long list, I did not count trading cards/trading card games, brief use in audiobooks and similar content.
    Last edited by salarta; 01-01-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Default salarta's suggested reading list for Polaris

This is my personal suggested reading list. Please note this list is entirely subjective and not a definitive, comprehensive list by any means.

These two issues are Polaris' introductory issues from 1968. The image in my first post comes from #50. In these issues, we get a sense of Lorna as a young latent mutant whose powers are (re)awakened with a device by Mesmero. Fun fact: we learn Lorna was dyeing her hair brown to "avoid attracting the curious." These two issues are very important to understanding how Lorna entered into the Marvel/X-Men mythos and the foundation that all else about her grew out from.

New X-Men #132

I'm skipping decades of storylines (Malice, Zaladane, X-Factor) in making this suggestion. I feel everything else prior either treated her poorly or wasn't very interesting. Other people may feel otherwise, which is why it's worth it to check their suggestions.

In New X-Men #132, we see Lorna in the aftermath of an attack that decimated the mutant island nation of Genosha that was run by her father Magneto. She survived where millions of others did not, and she suffered in the wreckage hearing their voices ("recorded" with her powers) until the X-Men came and pulled her out. This whole story does an excellent job of showing the weight of what Lorna went through - and why it should never be ignored or forgotten.

Uncanny X-Men #425-426

I suggest these two issues not for importance or even necessarily good writing (there are some problems), but more for imagery and how threatening and dangerous Lorna can be. It's a good example of a story serving her point of view, and using her connection to her father Magneto to serve her development instead of the other way around.

Uncanny X-Men #431

Lorna shows Professor X (and Nurse Annie) the horror of what she went through during the mutant genocide attack on Genosha via exploration of her memories from that day. Works in conjunction with New X-Men #132.

Uncanny X-Men #442-443

Returning to the wreckage of Genosha, Lorna has a deep philosophical debate with Professor X over the values of pacifism, and whether or not use of potentially deadly force to stop anti-mutant hate is appropriate. Lorna does an excellent one-woman job of the struggle between Xavier and Magneto philosophies, further magnified by how they're standing in Genosha's ruins and Lorna is still dealing with the trauma of what happened there.

Civil War: House of M

House of M was an event within the 616 universe, but HoM is effectively an alternate universe. This miniseries chronicles Magneto's rise to power in that AU. Insofar as Lorna is concerned, we get to see her interact with her family, and we also get the very first depictions of both a child Lorna using her powers and its version of Lorna's mother Susanna. The version and relation of Susanna here would be the foundation for Suzanna in X-Factor #243.

Exiles volume #2

Another alternate universe depiction, but I highly recommend it. The team includes teen versions of Lorna and Wanda from separate AUs, and the story takes them to an AU built around House of M. It's very fun, upbeat and playful.

Lorna's origin story is finally told in this issue, over 40 years after she was created. This is another crucial issue to read for her as a result.

All-New X-Factor #1-2, #7-20

All-New X-Factor marked Lorna getting to lead a team in her own right, rather than "filling in" as leader for other characters. I say skip #3-6 because those issues really dropped the ball hard, but #7 and after mostly started to improve treatment of her. Important issue is All-New X-Factor #14, the first and only time Lorna got to have any interaction with Wanda in a decade. Just before the forced retcon on Wanda and Pietro's parentage led to Marvel keeping them apart.

Another alternate universe. This four-issue miniseries does very well by its version Lorna, allowing her to be commanding, intelligent and resourceful. One of my fave highlights from it is banter between Lorna and Black Cat as Lorna picks a lock with her powers, and the idea of them criming it up together. However, I have to say that it did poorly by Magneto at one point and Quicksilver/Pietro throughout.

Default Iconic Polaris Moments

As long as I'm re-adding things from the old thread, here's the last thing I did for its first page: iconic Polaris moments.

This moment within Uncanny X-Men #66 (1970) emphasizes Lorna's independent, more feminist nature as originally intended. As Lorna herself puts it, she has interests and concerns that take much higher priority for her than "who takes whom to the next sock hop." Or rather, she has far more to who she is and what she wants to accomplish with her life than being someone's girlfriend.

In Giant-Size X-Men #1, Lorna is among the original X-Men that was trapped by the island Krakoa. Once the new team of X-Men come and rescue the original X-Men, Lorna and Storm work together to finish off the island. This moment doubles as a great show of how Lorna and another mutant can work together toward a common goal, and a show of how powerful Lorna could be even as far back as 1975 when this issue was made.

Lastly, we have the genocide on Genosha which Lorna survived. The whole sequence of events reveals how highly Genosha's mutants regarded her, how deeply she knew and cared about her people, and how horrific and traumatizing all those millions of deaths were for her. It's a solid representation of why Marvel should acknowledge and use this aspect of her character history in the same way they do her father Magneto's experience with the Holocaust.

Final thing I'm posting for now: the pages of my Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic being made with Mlad that I have up to this point. I originally had it higher on the thread, but afterward felt it was inappropriate to have it coming before my other posts. I'm willing to edit it out of this post if someone else has something else to share that should take priority.

I took the liberty of PM'ing the mods with the merger & title request - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to the Mistress of Magnetism and all her fans .
    Happy New Year to you both!

Much like we can't change Lorna's history with mind control and Zaladane, we can't change her connection to Alex. He's mentioned because their histories are connected. I gave a brief run down of her history, and tried to keep it to the point.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 01-01-2019 at 02:44 PM.