Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Well no salarta I wouldn't want a kid forced onto Lorna now or anytime, just saying that you might think that she needs decades of new character development...I just highly doubt that any writer would write her long enough to give it to her, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be attempted just temper your expectations a bit...I could see if they did have Lorna have a kid then use it as a reason to put her into limbo, where I'd rather she not be, who knows what state of mind she'll be in once she gets back from the upcoming event...

I don't think that an ongoing for Lorna would work right now, and no I don't think that one for Alex would work either, once she gets back she could do a short mini of what she then believes in, as it would be somewhere in between Xavier and Magneto, depending on how dark they make the latter go and what they do with the former...

Magneto abandoned her at a young age because he chose his mission over his family, and she would have to know that he'd do it again...

Just saying that different people have differing definitions of respect and proper characterization as it pertains to comic book characters...

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hi lorna fans. just started watching the gifted and I really like the show. do you guys like how she is portrayed on the show if you have watched it?
    Wow. I'm almost speechless but super happy you like the show.

And I agree with what you said how the von Strucker family are the "core" but by no means do they take up all the attention.

Polaris was pretty much the most interesting exciting character in season 1. In season 2 I think that focus has shifted a bit over more to the Cuckoos and to Andy/Lauren.

The baby plot kind of got Lorna a bit less active or focused on early this season while she did take part in two missions since then, she just hasn't seemed even close to the powerhouse and like, dramatic conflict-based character she was in season 1.

For me, the last few episodes of season 2 may be mostly about Andy and Lauren

But yeah it was really good how they handled the issue of her dad/legacy and how she felt forced to give up her child, and creating a headpiece out of that medallion was really clever too
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Lorna's new nickname is Polar Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    just saying that you might think that she needs decades of new character development
    There's a difference between "she has decades of poor treatment to make up for" and "Marvel needs to spend decades dedicated specially to her." I'm saying the former. There are plenty of ways to make up for 30 years worth of poor treatment in, say, 5 years of amazing treatment. And that's just a random number. It all depends on what's done, how, and why.

temper your expectations a bit
    That's not happening.

Based on what I've seen of Lorna's history, I think that's one of the biggest problems she's had. People playing it safe, being too conservative and polite about their desires. My assessment is that Marvel perceives such things as a lack of enthusiasm for the character, and therefore reason to ignore her worth.

And frankly, I'm already being too conservative. Fans of other characters are insisting their faves become full-blown gods, omega level mutants, get a third or fourth or fifth solo run while also leading the entire franchise. All I'm asking for is one solo, mini, or oneshot, or leading another team book. And I'm doing it because of the specific circumstances of how she's been treated these past few years. Not simply cause I want it. I'll temper my expectations when she gets her due.

I don't think that an ongoing for Lorna would work right now
    Marvel had no problem keeping the Scarlet Witch solo going for 20 issues despite sales as low as what got ANXF canceled starting with Scarlet Witch #2. Marvel's also had no problem this past year putting out solos, minis and oneshots for Multiple Man, Shatterstar, a myriad other characters. They even had a mini for Lockjaw of all characters. Lockjaw. A dog. Several of these characters don't even have popularity from an interpretation of them on a TV show or anything similar to justify what they got.

If Marvel can make solos, minis and oneshots for all these other characters, then they have no excuse whatsoever for not giving Lorna one too. Marvel's spent long enough disregarding her value and using her as a prop for other characters. She deserves this.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

My point was that different people would demand different amounts of time for Marvel to "make up" for how said people think that Marvel has treated Lorna over the years and given the current Marvel climate of no one writer staying to long I just wasn't going to hold my breath on any writer or storyline lasting that long for a character that wasn't Scott or Jean or Logan...

I've never wanted any of my favorite characters to approach god like levels, especially not Alex or Lorna as to me Scott and Magneto have already done that and I'd rather Marvel not try to copy that with A and L, Lorna can oppose Magneto in some ways without a physical confrontation about it...though to me what you view as Lorna getting her due isn't the same as others, not me, view of her getting her due...

Some of those minis I view as Marvel using them to set up other storylines and less about the actual characters involved, not saying that they couldn't or shouldn't do a Lorna mini I'd just fear that it would be used to set up something else or that it really wouldn't be a character driven piece...which I could be wrong about...

My view is that with Logan, Scott, and Jean and Xavier back Marvel will probably focus on them and the best that Lorna or Alex is going to get is a satellite team again and Magneto will probably be back to being his villain version...

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Lorna's been around for fifty years. When exactly would the right time be? She deserves a mini series at least. Lockjaw (a teleporting dog), Shatterstar, and Domino have all been out there in terms of choices, and yet Marvel still gave them the opportunity. Polaris deserves the same chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Lorna's been around for fifty years. When exactly would the right time be? She deserves a mini series at least. Lockjaw (a teleporting dog), Shatterstar, and Domino have all been out there in terms of choices, and yet Marvel still gave them the opportunity. Polaris deserves the same chance.
    And the fun part is that I can see someone claiming Havok hasn't had it either, but a) he did, it was called Havok & Wolverine: Meltdown back in 1988, and b) he's also had decades now of leadership on various books.

While Lorna's only had one year of leadership via ANXF in 2014. And random spots of "fill-in leader" before that. And no solos, minis or oneshots at all.

Asking Marvel to give Lorna something that Havok got 30 years ago isn't asking for much as it is. It's asking for even less when she's the most popular character on a TV show. And still less with how the last three years have been Marvel putting her into limbo for two years, then using her as a prop to promote Havok (and some Magneto) before making him a team leader of yet another book for the billionth time.
    Last edited by salarta; 01-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Lorna is the star of a TV show, but that TV show is from 2017, not 1991. Lorna is the direct successor of the franchise's biggest antagonist, but she wasn't in 1991. Expanding her role would have a lot of potential, but that wouldn't have much of the spirit of 1991, wouldn't it?

When the franchise is actually ready to move on, someone should be able to realize that they're sleeping on a goldmine with this character.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Wow. I'm almost speechless but super happy you like the show.

And I agree with what you said how the von Strucker family are the "core" but by no means do they take up all the attention.

Polaris was pretty much the most interesting exciting character in season 1. In season 2 I think that focus has shifted a bit over more to the Cuckoos and to Andy/Lauren.

The baby plot kind of got Lorna a bit less active or focused on early this season while she did take part in two missions since then, she just hasn't seemed even close to the powerhouse and like, dramatic conflict-based character she was in season 1.

For me, the last few episodes of season 2 may be mostly about Andy and Lauren

But yeah it was really good how they handled the issue of her dad/legacy and how she felt forced to give up her child, and creating a headpiece out of that medallion was really clever too
    No, no, no..anytime the ratings moved in a good direction..it was Lorna focused. The forum fans around here act like the blonde twins are fun tv but they damn sure havent made half the impact the Lorna story has. As a matter of fact...them going from Lorna to the Stuckers, the father, Blink, the purifiers..that kind of crap slowed the show down. Look at the buzz the Lorna looking back at her past and making that tiara with the Magneto note, EVERYONE was talking about that. Then they went a different direction...no one is asking for that. Lorna has the edge and the push that matters..her story is where the buzz from Season1 came from..everyone else are kind of fitting in as sidekicks..Lauren has a fun story just because she's not letting her brother off the hook.

All-New Member

So I found a link that said "magnetic girl" ... guys.. it's a Lorna action figure.

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Figure_A..._p/acp0031.htm

Ultimate Member

I'm not saying that Lorna shouldn't get the same opportunity, I'm just not sure that Marvel would/will give her the chance...and the Meltdown bit was partially I'd say due to Wolverine being the other party in it...

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

http://collider.com/the-gifted-season-2-polaris-story/

Collider's "Why Polaris' Story Is Still The Most Important Part Of The Gifted" article. So many great points I agree with in this. Check it out if you have the chance.

No character is more representative of this ideological turmoil than Lorna Dane (Emma Dumont), the mutant known as Polaris who is a former member of the Mutant Underground, a current leader of the Inner Circle, a new mother, and the daughter of one of the most famous supervillains in the X-Men universe. Lorna has tirelessly worked to save mutants from persecution since the series began, but she has frequently wrestled with her own beliefs along the way. To be fair, Polaris is far from the only character that must make difficult compromises about what living in society as a mutant means. But what’s different about Lorna is that she’s one of the few people who seems capable of seeing, understanding – and, yes, even possessing empathy for – all sides of this debate.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 01-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    http://collider.com/the-gifted-season-2-polaris-story/

Collider's "Why Polaris' Story Is Still The Most Important Part Of The Gifted" article. So many great points I agree with in this. Check it out if you have the chance.
    She must be a Libra.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    No, no, no..anytime the ratings moved in a good direction..it was Lorna focused. The forum fans around here act like the blonde twins are fun tv but they damn sure havent made half the impact the Lorna story has. As a matter of fact...them going from Lorna to the Stuckers, the father, Blink, the purifiers..that kind of crap slowed the show down. Look at the buzz the Lorna looking back at her past and making that tiara with the Magneto note, EVERYONE was talking about that. Then they went a different direction...no one is asking for that. Lorna has the edge and the push that matters..her story is where the buzz from Season1 came from..everyone else are kind of fitting in as sidekicks..Lauren has a fun story just because she's not letting her brother off the hook.
    What I'm about to say is purely guessing based on things I've seen, but no actual evidence to point to.

Of what I've heard from people, the show took a lot of focus off its version of Lorna to spread it out among characters. My theory as to why this happened is because people running the show may have wanted to make sure that if they did something wrong with Lorna, killed her off or wrote her off the show, whatever, it wouldn't have as much impact because in theory they would have enough audience attachment to other characters to get by. I am not saying they intended to get rid of her. I'm saying perhaps they did things to prepare for if they ever decided to do it some day.

The Marvel Twitter account posted this article: 6 Times X-Men Attacked Other X-Men. Lorna possessed by Malice is included on the list.

I consider her inclusion on this list to be a good thing. Marvel could have easily made it a list of 5 with Lorna left out, but they included her. Her inclusion is also one in which she's listed alongside the other "big name" X-Men. I'm a little apprehensive of the mention of Zaladane stealing Lorna's powers, cause a part of me feels like that should be a warning for some reason. But it's what happened, so it's right for it to be there. Besides, I'd like that addressed by Marvel too - if they do it right (read: don't repeat it unless it ends in the same issue/story arc, don't claim what Zaladane did to her brought out a secondary mutation, etc).

Lastly, I wanna talk about Havok a bit.

I've complained a lot, for good reason. The history is horrid, including incredibly recent history. I'm not gonna go into all of it again right now. However, I've also said that Havok isn't an inherently bad character, and that a relationship between Lorna and him could work some day - after Marvel actually does right by Lorna, makes up for decades of poor treatment, and keeps Havok away from her for at least 10 years while that happens. My reason for the last one being that I've seen Marvel repeatedly fail to handle their dynamic right every time they try to bring it back too soon.

Simply put, I can see a path where their relationship is actually a good thing for both characters. Right this second, I can see a storyline between them that actually works with who Lorna is and what she's been through. I can see something that's mutually beneficial for both characters tied to everything going on with Lorna post-Genosha. It would be amazing, dive deep into the impact of things that have happened to Lorna (especially regarding relationships), and show Havok actually caring about her in a real way while looking good doing it.

... But it can't be done right this second. Marvel needs to get Lorna to a place where storylines like the one I'm thinking of are actually viable and have a chance of turning out good. Marvel needs to put actual work into this character before anything good that involves Havok around her is possible. They don't even have to start from scratch. All the key elements are right in front of them. They just have to use those elements. The longer Marvel takes to do this, the longer it'll take for actual good storylines with this pairing to be possible. If Marvel does nothing for a year, then 10 years becomes 11 years, and so on.
    Last edited by salarta; 01-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.

BANNED

It does seem like they are building to a DEADLY ending for the season. But they cant just have Lorna go back to the damn mutant underground...they dont even get things done. They couldnt find Andy until he wanted to be found. Lorna decides what happens to the baby..Blink and John havent met all of the inner circle yet. It's like they are a teen version of the X men.
    Last edited by MichelleDiMera; 01-08-2019 at 06:52 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    It does seem like they are building to a DEADLY ending for the season. But they cant just have Lorna go back to the damn mutant underground...they dont even get things done. They couldnt find Andy until he wanted to be found. Lorna decides what happens to the baby..Blink and John havent met all of the inner circle yet. It's like they are a teen version of the X men.
    But they are going that direction. It's lazy, bad writing. But they clearly plan to have her back track on all the development she's supposedly had. It's as if her making peace with what her father did and everything with Dawn was pointless now. Just to keep the damn shippers happy. It's horrible.

I've had long talks with a friend in irl over how all over the place Lorna has been this season. How flipped it's been from last one. She didn't have a clear line of what was too far. And now? She comes across as a hypocrite. She's okay with what her father did or what she's done thus far, but not what others around her do?