Page 64 of 92 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Nice art by Leinil Francis Yu.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

In the era of Hickman's free love, I'm not shocked people are bringing up shipping. I hope it isn't the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Nice art by Leinil Francis Yu.

That was a good panel. When the costume looked the best too.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Good that Lorna is getting along with her dad, they functioned well on a mission, and like jmc noticed, those two both had the idea to immediately give chase to that emergent posthuman (until Cyke put the kibosh on it.... which is about as ominous a foreshadowing as it can get, like of course that posthuman will show up later and be a threat duh)

Her talk with Scott was WEIRD to me. I don't THINK it was supposed to be romantic in nature, but was she being skeptical and challenging him? Or what? I couldn't even tell because her face had no expression.

That was another thing, they kept like whiting out her eyes which does make her look powerful but combined with not giving her much expressive faces, it just idk... she felt more like a "doll" or a "statue" than a person somewhat.

Hoping she appears more as the line continues obviously and gets further expanded on. I love her getting along with her dad but I would much prefer she begin taking things into her own hands, I do want her to try to live up to what her dad believes though, and I like her own past pro mutant/skeptical of humans views being used because those are now basically "the norm" at least as long as this status quo lasts
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Feeling both unnerved and astonished by the brilliance and radicalism of this Krakoan era. I didn't see it coming.

With Lorna, as with most characters, I feel a bit disoriented as we've only had snippets of how they've all come around to this huge change. It is probably purposefully written in such a way. As things develop I'm intrigued to see more of her thoughts are on this.
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Feeling both unnerved and astonished by the brilliance and radicalism of this Krakoan era. I didn't see it coming.

With Lorna, as with most characters, I feel a bit disoriented as we've only had snippets of how they've all come around to this huge change. It is probably purposefully written in such a way. As things develop I'm intrigued to see more of her thoughts are on this.
    ^ Yep. I definitely understand the fans who hate this or are just deeply confused by it ( I mean Dawn of X as a whole )

Characters really don't "feel the same" as their prior portrayals in MANY cases.

Lorna actually doesn't seem too different from how she was in BLUE though.

OBEY

I think Lorna was more skeptical of whether or not Scott actually thought something like this was possible. Not skeptical about Krakoa as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think Lorna was more skeptical of whether or not Scott actually thought something like this was possible. Not skeptical about Krakoa as a whole.
    Hmm. Good point. You could interpret her as sort of "do you truly believe everything is so great perfect and happy?" almost like her past experiences taught her that things will always go horribly wrong at some point and never get too comfortable. Maybe that was it

OBEY

In regards to Krakoa. Creating a mutant homeland?

That is a big check for Lorna and she did express that not too long ago. But, for some characters is a much harder bridge for me to imagine them crossing.

Bringing back the Genoshan population which she blames herself for the deaths of would be a huge check as well I would think at least though I wish I could hear it from her.

The problem is the whole when it seems too good to be true adage. Magneto at this point fully drank the kool aid that this can fix everything, but obviously there are some hints from Lorna questioning if the reanimated bodies are just clones are not I think likes the dream, but again I could imagine in back of her mind fears it might be too good to be true. Emma even more clearly loves as well as has her worries about this try at a mutant nations.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-16-2019 at 08:25 PM.

^ Yeah I think you and soulsword interpreted her remarks the same way

As it's basically a sign that Lorna never fully trusts things will "work out"

Which could tie in to her portrayal in Prisoner of X where she was similarly the "odd woman out" but was proved correct, and saved everybody due to her absence of faith/trust

Might be something similar down the road here , which could be a tie in to the Fallen Angels book maybe

OBEY

I think the Fallen Angels book are more for those doubting the idea of the mutant nation itself not those like Emma or Lorna who are trying to hold it up but might worry about the foundations of the house after the last one caved in. Though I wouldn’t mind her appearing.

This is Lorna’s longstanding dream among certain other characters, but I don’t think she is quite as drunk as her father at the moment not to on some level worry if everyone really believes this and well like I said if the foundations are all there.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ^ Yep. I definitely understand the fans who hate this or are just deeply confused by it ( I mean Dawn of X as a whole )

Characters really don't "feel the same" as their prior portrayals in MANY cases.

Yeah, Lorna isn't out of character, where she is feels like a natural evolution of her journey through the past 4 or so years. Yet, as you've noted, her behaviour has been a little enigmatic. This is a different situation compared to the ones she's been in before, so she's bound to think about it differently even if chiming with her general attitude. Regardless of whether she likes it or not, the Polaris I've known will have her own strong opinions about this set up and reasons for what she's doing.

The others on this thread seem to have all drawn the same conclusion from this as I!
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Yeah, Lorna isn't out of character, where she is feels like a natural evolution of her journey through the past 4 or so years. Yet, as you've noted, her behaviour has been a little enigmatic. This is a different situation compared to the ones she's been in before, so she's bound to think about it differently even if chiming with her general attitude. Regardless of whether she likes it or not, the Polaris I've known will have her own strong opinions about this set up and reasons for what she's doing.

The others on this thread seem to have all drawn the same conclusion from this as I!
    On the one hand, it's not too different from use on Blue. On the other hand... should it be like Blue? Where she was intro'd as basically "daughter of Magneto, ex of Havok," her character history/development was ignored to build up Magneto til around Blue #15/16, and then, despite some improvements, her personal history/development still got stunted within a story arc primarily about Havok?

Most of the past 4 years isn't a good guidepost for Lorna. A few bright spots aside, most of it ignores her previous history/development in favor of using her to promote male characters. Genosha doesn't come up, or she acts like a Malice costume is just a weird get-up she's never seen before, but she'll talk about what a great man Havok is supposed to be or sit around for Magneto to exposition/mansplain to. That's good for turning her into a D to Z list supporting character that only comes into play when the men need a woman around to emphasize some aspect of them, but it's not good for Lorna being acknowledged for her own worth or having her potential pursued in any serious way.

I would say that what I saw on the pages today is better than Blue. But still a far cry from how things should be with Lorna.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I do hope that at some point in this new era, Lorna gets a new costume. I enjoy the current look, buts its time for her to evolve beyond this one. I had hoped we'd see one today, but the art was just all over the place with her costume unfortunately.

It is the start of a new era for Lorna she does need a new costume at this point, even Magneto's costume has evolved the past several years. What kind of new costume depends on what exactly she will be doing. Politics? War? Diplomacy? I would also like a chance to buy Lorna variant covers again. Something new would help energize that I believe as long as its well done.

I will say again though I don't think Lorna was questioning the importance or worth of a mutant nation, but Scott's speech was an idealistic flower power moment where he claimed both Magneto and Lorna as part of his family. That is no small shift and Lorna did question how much he really meant that. The individuals who see it as either Lorna getting ready to embark on intimate relations with him or Lorna being secretly against the set up are in my view overreading it.

In terms of the actual flower power/free love era in the past if that is what people want to do I have no problem with it, though in the comics it runs up against modern conventions on relationships in the eyes of other writers and most fans which are extremely rigid. Free love in 1968 meant friends and acquaintances taking some kind of 'flower' and tripping out and having multiple partners that didn't necessarily mean much in the morning. I don't think Lorna could actually sleep with the other Summers brother without it under the next dozen writers turning into brother rams fighting over a trophy much like the Ultimate Universe did with her.

Much better the idea that the two inheritors of the founders of mutant rights legacies are interacting and getting along with some question if they will always do that as things eventually schism and come to blows.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 09:35 AM.

A new costume would definitely need a more warrior vibe. I really wish we could get the Anka costume. It would be the perfect look for Lorna in this new era, bringing together all the features of a normal Polaris design, but also referencing her strong connection to her father.

I see a lot of people talking about Scott/Lorna and I don't really like the mentality around it (plus, Ultimate vibes that should be long forgotten). Let them remain friends!