Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1371
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Love seeing all this Polaris fanart lately!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Love seeing all this Polaris fanart lately!
    There is more energy then usual there yes.

Link
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-01-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I have noticed a few folks speak in praise of a possible Lorna x Scott Summers.

This pleases me, it feels like Scott fans who believe Lorna would be a suitable match in terms of her courage, intellect, and so on.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

If Hickman, or whoever, does something with Lorna/Scott, then whatever. I'd rather Lorna not be dragged into that rectangle personally (Jean/Scott/Emma/Logan), but writers are going to do what they want to do.

However, I will say that I generally don't like some of the mentality around Lorna/Scott. Some Cyclops fans feel it should happen for one of two reasons:

1) Alex slept with Madelyne, so naturally Scott should get a chance with Lorna.

2) It puts Scott in the Magneto family.

I don't like that, as it makes Lorna just "the girlfriend" who doesn't have any value as an individual character. I understand the appeal of something going on, but I'd prefer for Polaris to just have a strong bond with Cyclops. I'll keep an open mind to whatever though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    If Hickman, or whoever, does something with Lorna/Scott, then whatever. I'd rather Lorna not be dragged into that rectangle personally (Jean/Scott/Emma/Logan), but writers are going to do what they want to do.

However, I will say that I generally don't like some of the mentality around Lorna/Scott. Some Cyclops fans feel it should happen for one of two reasons:

1) Alex slept with Madelyne, so naturally Scott should get a chance with Lorna.

2) It puts Scott in the Magneto family.

I don't like that, as it makes Lorna just "the girlfriend" who doesn't have any value as an individual character. I understand the appeal of something going on, but I'd prefer for Polaris to just have a strong bond with Cyclops. I'll keep an open mind to whatever though.
    Yes you are right, the motivation of "then we can connect Summers and Maximoffs" does kind of dehumanize Lorna and treat her as a tool, it's almost a political or arranged relationship at that point. And the idea of "if Alex can do it, so can Scott" is even worse.

But I think for some Scott fans they genuinely like Lorna as a character. To me it's just sort of like, a lot of them seem to be casting around for a new long-term relationship for Scott since Jean and Emma are both kinda "not quite there" at this moment. So i take it as a form of compliment for Lorna.

Personally I agree with you, it's probably not going to happen anyway, but I am curious if their interaction together in XMen 1 will get pursued any further, in any form.

OBEY

Ultimate Member

I think Alex and Maddy was less about Alex and more about getting her out of the way so that they could put Scott and Jean back together...though we do agree that I'd rather nothing romantic happen between Lorna and Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Yes you are right, the motivation of "then we can connect Summers and Maximoffs" does kind of dehumanize Lorna and treat her as a tool, it's almost a political or arranged relationship at that point. And the idea of "if Alex can do it, so can Scott" is even worse.

But I think for some Scott fans they genuinely like Lorna as a character. To me it's just sort of like, a lot of them seem to be casting around for a new long-term relationship for Scott since Jean and Emma are both kinda "not quite there" at this moment. So i take it as a form of compliment for Lorna.

Personally I agree with you, it's probably not going to happen anyway, but I am curious if their interaction together in XMen 1 will get pursued any further, in any form.
    Yeah, I know some fans see some similarities between Polaris and Cyclops, and I get that. I see them too. Though like you said, the two families thing does kind have an arranged marriage kinda vibe and that's ehhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think Alex and Maddy was less about Alex and more about getting her out of the way so that they could put Scott and Jean back together...though we do agree that I'd rather nothing romantic happen between Lorna and Scott...
    Yes, we agree on something lol. Though for different reasons.

Lorna can be an character motivated by ideas or she can be a character motivated by relationships (as in dad vs love interest, love interest vs love interest, which side will I take?).

Being an ideas centered character certainly doesn't preclude having relationships of all kinds. It in fact it actually spices up those relationships. But, being a relationship centered character turns her less into a character in her own right, and more a pretty green haired girl for others to fight over.

Generally I suspect if they were setting Lorna up to actually be the primary relationship of Scott Summers her promotion would be higher at the moment. She hasn't made one Dawn of X, House of X, Powers of X cover or variant cover (and no the every mutant ever cover doesn't count). Her overall promotional visibility for the current era's comics is well below what it was a year or two ago, or back in the 00s or 90s. Based on her cover and solicit visibility comes off like a D list character at the moment even if her actual presence in the comics has been above that.

Unless that is part of Hickman's plan as a surprise relationship it is a big point against the idea. My view is I don't care how many partners Lorna has in the 'free love' context of Krakoa, but if she is going to have a romantic relationship that will once again heavily define her character for years to come again her no matter the character she will be involved with that Lorna needs some real character work before hand.

The comments a certain someone made about Genosha were not wrong even if somewhat loud in so far as representing that Lorna needs to be her own character with her own pathos before being injected into the soap of the new era. That was one of my biggest issues with Lorna in Blue in that it wanted to restart her romantic soap without rebuilding her character as one motivated by ideas not simply personal connections.

The Gifted season one got the right balance of ideas as her core motivation and relationships second. That made the character a break out star of the 2017-2018 TV season according to USA Today and it even made Eclaris one of the top ships of the year according to MTV.

Lorna in season two rapidly changed into an individual focused character where it was only really the needs of the baby vs her love interest. That was a enormously bad decision that damaged everyone involved and the show itself.

I bring it up because a dynamic character has a center and relationships. A generic character has relationships and no real center.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-03-2019 at 04:39 PM.

I am guessing we have the cover to X-Corp today in black. Congrats to our threads resident Havok fan.

As for Lorna watch X-Men #3 if she is not there then expect a real slow burn deep background experience until she gets to whatever Hickman has planned if anything.

I doubt he is setting up a real Scott/Lorna relationship if she isn’t in the next one. Perhaps her joining the extended harem Scott has going, but even that is iffy.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's X-Corp and I don't think Polaris is going to be apart of it.

I don't think any of the figures are going to be her.

Nope she isn’t there. Generally I would like some kind of role for her that she is doing and that we the audience know that she is doing. I don’t need to see her every month or even every other month if she has a real agenda and goal.

I would prefer seeing her every month of course, but that isn’t going to happen.

That looks like a very counterintuitive lineup for any book and I struggle to comprehend any connection between that cast and the premise of an X-Corp. But yeah no Lorna. Which might be good since Havok is there after all. So let's look on the bright side and hope Hickman has a vision for her more along the lines of what's previously been shown.

I still lament the fact X-Force has taken up all the narrative space an Acolytes title could have claimed.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I still lament the fact X-Force has taken up all the narrative space an Acolytes title could have claimed.
    Nice avatar.

While in terms of the X-Men mythos and rejuvenating the x-books HoX/Dawn of X has been great no matter what happens on a micro level for Lorna my gut feeling is its problematic. I would still feel this way if she had an appearance in the last two months. In terms of narration its doing for Storm and Jean what Genosha did for Lorna of giving them more philosophical depth and letting them see in a world far beyond Xavier's original vision, but what does that mean for Lorna? We have to wait and see.

Anyway, how about Lorna charm/manipulating Exodus to sway the council?
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-03-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I am guessing we have the cover to X-Corp today in black. Congrats to our threads resident Havok fan.

As for Lorna watch X-Men #3 if she is not there then expect a real slow burn deep background experience until she gets to whatever Hickman has planned if anything.

I doubt he is setting up a real Scott/Lorna relationship if she isn’t in the next one. Perhaps her joining the extended harem Scott has going, but even that is iffy.
    Yeah it looks like Alex is on that team though i'm not getting my hopes up for him getting a good portrayal there, the team seems set up with those that he either doesn't know very well or is an old enemy of and it's clear that in the Summers storyline for Hickman Alex is an afterthought already anyway, and right now Lorna has gone from some people's negative stereotype as just being Alex's girlfriend to be little more than Magneto's daughter as she doesn't seem to really think for herself anymore, she just believes whatever her daddy does, or that's what some fans of hers seem to want, her views and opinions on everything to be as close to his as possible...

And for the record I've never been a fan of Lorna being just Alex's girlfriend or unable to think separately from him...

Mighty Member

Well its canon that Lorna wants to try Gambit's gumbo.. I personally would like to see it.