Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1371

Marvel Premier 2019 cards. Call it the battle of the green outfits. New vs Classic.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Even if the show had continued, I don't think we would have gotten much of a push for Polaris. They didn't do much with her when it was still on the air.

Though, Lorna (and the Cuckoos) have been utilized in Dawn of X, so we still get to see Lorna even without her appearing on a show. Hopefully as time goes on, we'll see more of Polaris and her role on Krakoa.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 11-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.

I felt her story was pretty much written into a corner and the writers pet characters were getting the big mo writers love no matter what the audience felt about them and by in large it was quite negative and by that point it was doom for the show. Its water under the bridge at this point. Though it will always rankle the blown opportunities to really do something with Lorna in season 2 were tossed aside.

But, yes that one thing the writers did especially in season one though less so in season 2 was play on the Austen/Morrison era concept of them being the second generation inheritors of the legacies of the first generation. Hickman has been the first comic writer since Austen to play with this idea. Though its harder to play with when Magneto is around vs his status in '03 or '04 or on The Gifted.

Right now I don't see where it takes her, but who knows. It sounds like X-Corp will be a 6 issue mini that runs until everything gets shaken up for the mutants at issue 12. I sort of feel like the next phase of things on Krakoa certainly might be hotter for Lorna if there is actual factionalism among mutants.

Right now Lorna's character has no role on Krakoa and that isn't a positive.

Marvel Primer card.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

^ Cool picture there. Classic costume is better for me too although the skull iconography is reminiscent of Mystique's design and suggests a certain moral alignment for Polaris that is at odds with what's usually presented.

But yes I want a costume that is more appealing , all green numbs my eyes.

As far as whether it should be sleek, practical, "combat ready" that was her BLUE design and I liked it but on the other hand does a character with her mutation really NEED practicality? She probably would mostly fight from a distance anyway. And I think we've had costumes posted here before mentioning Lorna can use her EM control to like change from civvies into the costume and back since it could be metallic in design. Idk if a "metallic fiber" is a thing that even exists but :shrug: why not
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ^ Cool picture there. Classic costume is better for me too although the skull iconography is reminiscent of Mystique's design and suggests a certain moral alignment for Polaris that is at odds with what's usually presented.
    Lorna wore it a decade before Mystique came on the scene and she wore it as both a member of Magneto's team in the 60s and an X-Man and then as a temporary pitch hitter until 1979. She would switch off between green and yellow headgear as well. The real problem with her classic costume today is that its too youthful a look for a character who should be in her 30s at this point.

Her Dark Seduction costume of the avatar I am wearing is a more modernized adult version of her original though still needed some work.

Frankly no offensive to Cullen Bunn as I know he is your man and you love his writing and he had his moments with Lorna, but he wrote a much more generic female hero version of the character then most writers in the modern age... certainly compared to PAD who came before him or Vita and Hickman that came after him. You would probably have to go back to Brubaker and before that the 90s to get a Lorna with that little moral ambiguity.

Lorna needs an evolutionary change in costume keeping at least some of the iconic elements like cape or headgear not a revolutionary one outside of temporary teams and X-Men Blue lets face it was always going to be a temporary team. I am fine with her costume in Blue or that of ANXF, but they only really work in that context of that team. The same in terms of her Acolyte costumes.

Right now Lorna has no role on Krakoa, but she is mutant aristocracy and the island is set up on a very Roman Republic framework. I don't see how her Blue costume fits such a context. Much depends on what she does next.

To reiterate her classic is great, but a tad too youthful for the character today in my view and a bit too much like her current outfit which is played out.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 12:40 PM.

BANNED

I prefer the imposing Dark Seduction bodysuit with headdress, which I’ve liked since only seeing bits of it drawn by Jimenez in New X-Men. It drives home the alien/dangerous nature of the character which is a characterization I prefer, and nods to the Marauders era which I enjoy. The current costume was fine for a long time but is a bit played out now. If someone wanted to update it or the DS costume I’d be all for it.

I definitely agree DS is a good template for a modernized version of her costume. Its both similar and different enough from what she is wearing to feel new, but evolutionary not revolutionary while keeping the iconic Polaris elements. The black and the shoulder pads really worked.

Over time they toned down the headdress a bit, stopped the energy hair and made some alterations before the complete revamp after X-Men 132.

The Tan costume has definitely worn out its welcome. Lorna really needs a new look, and I hope we'll be getting one sooner rather then later.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the costume she has now, but its time for Polaris to evolve with the times. Oh how I wish Asrar could get the chance to deign Lorna a new look. He knocked it out of the park when it came to Betsy, and Storm's new costumes.

She needs something that can be worn on political title or a more combat oriented title as in something that might last 5 or 10 years.

The modern era doesn't have long lasting titles. I mean for the current crop its 12 issues and reboot, probably half that for X-Corps and the second wave out in Feb/March. If she is on one of those titles there isn't much to do other then build towards the upcoming event though it could of course introduce the character to a new set team she will be around for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The Tan costume has definitely worn out its welcome. Lorna really needs a new look, and I hope we'll be getting one sooner rather then later.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the costume she has now, but its time for Polaris to evolve with the times. Oh how I wish Asrar could get the chance to deign Lorna a new look. He knocked it out of the park when it came to Betsy, and Storm's new costumes.
    IA. She's gotten some different looks this past decade but one really fit her and had the potential to become iconic. I feel like all the major X-women have had a redesign in the past 2 years and all Lorna got was that generic team uniform from Blue

I wouldnt mind if it were brought back with some tweaks. Possibly recolor to green/purple and give it a cape and headdress
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IA. She's gotten some different looks this past decade but one really fit her and had the potential to become iconic. I feel like all the major X-women have had a redesign in the past 2 years and all Lorna got was that generic team uniform from Blue

I wouldnt mind if it were brought back with some tweaks. Possibly recolor to green/purple and give it a cape and headdress
    Yep. Lorna's been in this costume since 2007, and the other X-Women have gotten a number of different costumes for all these different eras.

I agree about the Blue design. With Mutants switching between different looks, I wouldn't be opposed to it coming back with some improvements. Like how they took Jean's Red costume and gave it her signature colors. I'm not sure I would want her wearing it full time, but it could be fun for an occasional mission.

She has been in the green number since 2006... so minor correction. If they are going with evolutionary change there is a lot of ways to go. Sleek and simple is one of the ways we saw in recent art.

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    The bigger question one we have no control over though certainly has been decided by now is what Lorna will or won't actually be doing. I have the feeling given issue 7s are coming up in Feb as is a new mini we should have an idea soon.

Anyway Emma D. is going to a con in the UK next year for our British fans.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 07:48 PM.

BANNED

On The Gifted, I would say despite varying personal opinions of the show itself, it'd be hard to claim that Emma Dumont's passionate portrayal of Polaris wasn't a net positive overall. The eXposure raised awareness of the character by garnering new fans among the uninitiated, and likely caused those already in the know, to give her another look... including creators!

On The Marauders, what if Storm's conflict in #5 is with none other than Ms. Frost, or even Sebastian Shaw? And it causes her to sail away pretty much permanently, back to the greener pastures of...

… where their IS a location near the eastern coast labeled... House of M.

Regarding a new costume design for her, either by accident or intentionally, perhaps we glimpsed a lil' bit of it...

... in X-Men #1.

Lastly, even though I just posited this myself--somewhat half-heartedly--in the not too distant past, all I can say is OH:

Anti-Mutant Terrorists Level the Playing Field in X-MEN #1 - SPOILERS - Newsarama
    Cyclops and Polaris discuss their homes – including hinting at a potential romantic connection between the two. ...

MY GOD!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Welcome Back!
    Thank you J!

And:

… from a fellow:

What would you guys like to see Polaris doing next? I think she might be great in a leading role now. Give her something like X-Corporation or a more proactive team like the Extinction Team.