Page 59 of 92 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Early reviews coming in. The most in-depth at Newsarama for those interested.

I will try to get to the late night opening at a local comic shop, but you have to check your own to see if they are doing it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I enjoyed what I read regarding that review. I hope it plays out like that within the actual comic.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    I love how Lorna is royalty because she is magneto child,
    Recent article on newsarama brings this up

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Recent article on newsarama brings this up
    I have a feeling that Lorna might be appearing often working with Erik, because they are growing closer as father and daughter. It also sounds like Lorna is going to be recurring regularly on X-Men.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Hopefully this can push Lorna's character into an interesting direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I have a feeling that Lorna might be appearing often working with Erik, because they are growing closer as father and daughter. It also sounds like Lorna is going to be recurring regularly on X-Men.
    It sounds that way and it also sounds like Hickman is avoiding the mistakes of recent runs where she really had a fairly generic voice and no real relationship develop with characters outside of dad and her ex. So far Hickman has given Lorna an actual prospective and it feels like a year or two on X-Men could do a great deal of good, because she isn’t going to be simply dad’s sounding board which was a legitimate criticism of a lot of her Last Days and early Blue stuff.

The most important aspect is she develop her connections, views and gravitas with fans and in universe.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-15-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    It sounds that way and it also sounds like Hickman is avoiding the mistakes of recent runs where she really had a fairly generic voice and no real relationship develop with characters outside of dad and her ex. So far Hickman has given Lorna an actual prospective and it feels like a year or two on X-Men could do a great deal of good, because she isn’t going to be simply dad’s sounding board which was a legitimate criticism of a lot of her Last Days and early Blue stuff.

The most important aspect is she develop her connections, views and gravitas with fans and in universe.
    Well they do have some upcoming books planned. I know that Acolytes picture was fan made, but I am actually really hoping that they do an Acolytes team lead by Lorna next year.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Well they do have some upcoming books planned. I know that Acolytes picture was fan made, but I am actually really hoping that they do an Acolytes team lead by Lorna next year.
    For those who want Lorna to be a mutant leader at the end of the day need followers and a faction. Eventually factionalism always crops up when there are different points of view. If the mutants can keep the factionalism mostly in house over the next few years will be an interesting test. But, Lorna is in the possible position to gain followers and become a mutant leader in her own right.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Speaking generally, regardless of whatever's happening at Marvel at any given time, I believe what Lorna needs most is a solo/mini/oneshot focused on her. Marvel doesn't understand her, and has repeatedly dismissed her worth and claimed there's no fan interest in her. They need to do something internally that pushes them to put more thought into her, instead of operating based on assumptions they formed about her decades ago. The more Marvel ignores key elements of her history and development when doing things, the more I feel a solo/mini/oneshot is necessary. It's proof to the point.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme #69 Sep 1994
    "Be With Me"
    After Vincent Stevens rejects Strange's appeal to merge, he searches for another and finds Polaris.

NOTE: Story set between X-Factor 105 and 106.

Script by David Quinn, pencils by David Brewer, inks by Pam Eklund.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Maestroneto (thanks for posting!), posted this in the X-Men preview thread. Has a couple of quick look at panels including Lorna. Nothing super Spoilery IMO, but avoid if you don't want to see anything.

It has me very excited for Polaris' scenes tomorrow!
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 10-15-2019 at 11:45 AM.

One panel is clearly from the Savage Land issues. Also, spoilers:
    Lorna has a new outfit there which looks quite good though I can’t see enough of it as yet.
    end of spoilers

I am very excited as well, moreso then going into any storyline in almost fifteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    One panel is clearly from the Savage Land issues. Also, spoilers:
    Lorna has a new outfit there which looks quite good though I can’t see enough of it as yet.
    end of spoilers

I am very excited as well, moreso then going into any storyline in almost fifteen years.
    spoilers:
    It does seem like a new look! I'm not sure if its a new look altogether, or if they just modified her Starjammers costume
    end of spoilers

We'll find out tomorrow!
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 10-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.

BANNED

I'm not too sure that's a new outfit, or not from #1. The creatures may have a story reason and the look may just be a panel angle. But we'll see. I do think Lorna being in the Savage Land is likely/possible.

As for the earlier topic of Lorna's prospects, I honestly don't care about the relationship with Wanda. She doesn't have one and they've generally been diametrically opposed re: mutantdom. I'm also not particularly interested in trying to retrofit Jean and Lorna's relationship into Xavier and Magneto. I don't particularly care about them being friends, but I also don't think they have nearly enough history or weight to make a rivalry like that happen. If it was going to it would have. The way forward with the character is new relationships, and not trying to make a barely-there acquaintance into her polar adversary. You can't replicate the Xavier/Magneto relationship in that way; the only reason some (and only) some aspects of the schism worked were because of the deep, rich character history between Scott and Logan that was part of their constant interaction for decades. Lorna has none of that with virtually anyone.

But here's the two arguments I don't understand, since they keep coming up in this thread: Why should Lorna "sit out" House/Dawn of X, probably the most important and popular X-Men event in almost twenty years? What is specifically, fundamentally wrong with DoX as an event or a story or launch that means she should not be part of it? And in lieu of using her there, how is the online fandom supposed to 'force' Marvel to use her differently? How specifically will they do that, what history do they (or almost any comic character fanbase, tbh) have of being able to do so, and what will the specific quantifiable results be?