Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Where did they get the Y chromosome, they remember this being an issue for X-23 but not this green Mag?
    Chimeras are not clones

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Where did they get the Y chromosome, they remember this being an issue for X-23 but not this green Mag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Chimeras are not clones
    This was something I was going to mention, but I figured someone would just say what was said here and didn't feel it was worth the trouble.

However, you have to wonder why a blend of two female characters leads to a male character when this would've been a perfect opportunity to have more diversity and have a subtle "girl power boost" concept. Maybe Hickman was afraid that a female character blending a popular fave and an underrated fave (especially following Gifted) would overshadow Rasputin (if that's the name of the one I'm thinking of).

Edit: This is where someone will probably just focus on defending HoX/PoX and Hickman instead of considering it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    This was something I was going to mention, but I figured someone would just say what was said here and didn't feel it was worth the trouble.

However, you have to wonder why a blend of two female characters leads to a male character when this would've been a perfect opportunity to have more diversity and have a subtle "girl power boost" concept. Maybe Hickman was afraid that a female character blending a popular fave and an underrated fave (especially following Gifted) would overshadow Rasputin (if that's the name of the one I'm thinking of).

Edit: This is where someone will probably just focus on defending HoX/PoX and Hickman instead of considering it.
    Well you are definitely trying to influence our responses. But I liked North as he was.

BANNED

Rasputin is as dead as North today so there is nothing to overshadow. Also I'm pretty sure they just thought a green Magneto would look cool.

I don't know how we're supposed to 'debate' someone in good faith who a) hasn't read the books, b) won't read them because they've made up their mind beforehand and c) believes everything is a coded aggression against their favorite character. That's not good faith, so there is no point in having a discussion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Rasputin is as dead as North today so there is nothing to overshadow. Also I'm pretty sure they just thought a green Magneto would look cool.

I don't know how we're supposed to 'debate' someone in good faith who a) hasn't read the books, b) won't read them because they've made up their mind beforehand and c) believes everything is a coded aggression against their favorite character. That's not good faith, so there is no point in having a discussion.
    Pretty much nailed it.

Lol, all these conspiracy theories about Polaris...The idea that Marvel is so invested in actively sabotaging a relatively minor character is absolutely ridiculous.

For those of you who don't really know me: my prior post isn't much different than things I've said previously with Peter David, Cullen Bunn, etc. I have a tendency to say what comes to my mind. Unless it's an egregious issue, I never bring it up again. The only difference is right now, I expect any time I say anything at all that isn't praise, it's going to get people acting defensive. Or to put it another way, I expect the same sort of reactions I was getting from Peter David fans about ANXF as it was coming out - which I'll note, I complained about heavily from #4-6 until ANXF #7 turned things around in my eyes.

I'm not planning to take "why North not womens" and turn it into a scathing indictment of Hickman or the event. If I wanted to do that, I'd be all over in threads dedicated to HoX/PoX bringing it up. Hell, maybe North is trans and it hasn't been revealed yet. There's plenty that hasn't happened yet. But that's my current thought, one that I know won't go anywhere if there's nothing to it. As well it shouldn't, if that's the case. And it's not like I haven't been wrong before. One example of that being when I thought Peter David would essentially retcon Lorna back to the 90s, and he actually ended up giving her her origin story, letting her interact with Pietro and Wanda for the first time in nearly a decade, and making her the team leader on ANXF.

But in retrospect, I see how the edit I made can act as an invitation for the replies I got. So, sorry for the edit.

To add a little less controversial flavor, I do like that Hickman used North as his name, as a nod to Polaris being the north star. Same as I said on the previous page that it's good (which I really meant that I liked) how North being Pestilence is a sort of nod to Lorna's time as Pestilence.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

BANNED

The thing is, you keep presenting your feelings passively and projecting reactions onto other people and claiming it's about research, acting like you're 'polling the board'. It's not and you're not, not really. You have a viewpoint and it's clear.

No one has anything to defend because this is a non-topic about two newly-dead side characters in an alternate future, not Polaris, and also because between the two sides of this discussion, only one side has read the comic book. Until you do that, it's difficult to understand what you expect us to do or say when you're not really engaging in good faith. If you want people to 'prove' to you that there is something worthwhile for you as a fan, that's not our responsibility. Not as X-Men fans, certainly not for me as someone who's liked Polaris for over 30 years but does not read the books for her or any other single character. If you're bound and determined to dislike HOX/POX, go ahead, no one's going to stop you. But it seems a waste of time to prejudge it without reading, or act like you are investigating 'issues' like a Senate committee. No one's going to feel inclined to answer push-poll questions about why we feel someone has green hair or armor from someone who doesn't read the comic and has indicated they don't want to.

Moving to PMs.

Custom action figure. Yep, people still make 'em. The two most interesting aspects to me are that the eyes were colored as if glowing due to power use (same with how wild her hair is), and the maker described her hair as "iconic shade of lime green." The power use one kinda suggests how people really wanna see more of Lorna cutting loose with her abilities. Whereas hair color, I've seen her shade all over the place, so it's fascinating to consider what some might think is her most common.

Also a tweet I'm gonna throw up on here.

The original tweet had a lot of similar replies. And that's all I'm sharing here on this topic until all of what I'd say on it can be handled.

Update on the bride Polaris cosplay.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-22-2019 at 05:36 PM.

X-MEN #2
    JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • LEINIL FRANCIS YU (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    2099 VARIANT COVER BY Ron Lim
    When an island full of unspeakable horrors appears on the horizon, the X-Men have their work cut out for themselves keeping Krakoa safe!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...ber-2019-2099/
    Solicit for X-Men #2. Could this be Genosha?

In terms of my assessment of 616 Lorna as is. She doesn't bring much of anything to the table. Her relationship with Magneto in the 616 really hasn't added much of anything to her non-existent relationships to the core X-Men at least since Decimation. It might have been one thing when Magneto was the foil for the X-Men to have divided loyalty stories and she certainly has had those, but they hit the point of deminishing returns a long time ago.

Lorna's popularity at the moment is closer to that of a B lister even though her relative importance in how she is written visa via the X-Men is closer to what one would expect from the C list. I am open with my general belief that Lorna needs a high profile comic arc where she has ‘disagreements’ with the X-Men that she owns and writers don't half ass to restart the character.

Lorna being a 'middle ground' character could have worked to get the character where I would like to see her in a position behooving her start on the x-books. But, they started screwing up that path hard with the character in 2006 and continued doing so. Lorna on X-Force mid last decade would have been the right call, but instead she was in space. Jean will be on X-Force going forward, then where does that leave Lorna?

I prefer her in a position where she stays in contact with the A listers then exists in her own little bubble as she did in space or X-Factor. But, her lack of anything good or interesting to say about her relationship with the A listers is the core problem with keeping her around. I have my solution, others have theirs.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    For those of you who don't really know me: my prior post isn't much different than things I've said previously with Peter David, Cullen Bunn, etc. I have a tendency to say what comes to my mind. Unless it's an egregious issue, I never bring it up again. The only difference is right now, I expect any time I say anything at all that isn't praise, it's going to get people acting defensive. Or to put it another way, I expect the same sort of reactions I was getting from Peter David fans about ANXF as it was coming out - which I'll note, I complained about heavily from #4-6 until ANXF #7 turned things around in my eyes.
    You can't handwave away people who are enjoying HOX/POX as "people buying into hype" (Which btw, infers that those same people are too stupid to think objectively or to regulate their thoughts/opinions) or to ask leading questions while acting like you don't have a specific agenda that you are pushing with said questions and then imply that the only reason said behaviour is called out is because we're biased fanboys. That's called arguing in bad faith.

Emma Dumont comic con appearances coming up over the weekend and she did an interview with a Polaris related comment at 1:48 namely how popular Polaris is in China where the character has millions of fans.

My suspicion is they liked the whole bad ass rebel concept as depicted by Emma in season one. I will say it would have helped if someone had informed her Prisoner of X was going on as they did for Powers of X.

Well she was half right.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2019 at 03:28 PM.

A recent piece of awesome from bikenesmith, who made my diverse Polarises commission that I previously posted. I have more to post in the Magnus family thread.

Another reminder of desire to see the sisters interact.

I kinda feel like it's worthwhile to make a list of things Lorna could do with her powers that aren't "metal bending," to demonstrate the range of possibilities Marvel has yet to tap into.

1. Invisibility
    2. Pseudo-psychic powers (memory manipulation, telepathy)
    3. Internet access via brain
    4. Signal storage and manipulation (e.g. false images on a TV screen, imitation of voices, etc)
    5. Directly put out fires

That's all I can think of and remember for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    You can't handwave away people who are enjoying HOX/POX as "people buying into hype" (Which btw, infers that those same people are too stupid to think objectively or to regulate their thoughts/opinions) or to ask leading questions while acting like you don't have a specific agenda that you are pushing with said questions and then imply that the only reason said behaviour is called out is because we're biased fanboys. That's called arguing in bad faith.
    Never mind that they pretty plainly explain that there are only eight mutants(including the Chimeras from the breeding pits) left on Asteroid K.

We have no idea how many Chimeras are left or what there makeup/genders are. Let alone that one of the four that were not Horsemen was a pure blood mutant.