Page 45 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    In House of M? She grew up in California, right? Maybe she went to UCLA or SDSU.
    Would make sense to me if she did, primarily considering the time period. I would think a majority of people who went to college at the time she was created would go somewhere physically close to where they live or grew up. Whereas today most good jobs need some kind of degree or education after high school, back then most people didn't need to go further. I remember there was even a Mary Tyler Moore episode (1970 - 1977) where Mary has a job that didn't really need a degree, but it's become something of a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    This changes my view a bit. While I still feel as I said on ANXF vs Blue, if someone offered the cosplay (especially a close friend), it'd be awkward not to wear it.

I'm glad to see moments of her embracing the Lorna x Wanda sister duo fandom.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I don't normally post stuff that has Havok in it for obvious reasons, but I'm making an exception here cause 1) they're separate on the art, and 2) the art is too awesome and cute. It's from cykelops on Tumblr.

This awesome piece comes from vraxx7 on instagram.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

spoilers:
    It was nice to see the Genoshan genocide brought up and they even gave it an alternate name the Sentinel/Trask/Mummurai genocide.
    end of spoilers

I will say after all the issues of House of X and Powers of X I have bought so far that Hickman is a huge fan of morally ambiguous characters. Wolverine, Emma, Magneto, the Cuckoos, Monet... he straight up kicks ass writing such characters. Same in regard to his even darker characters like Apocalypse and the various Sentinels.

His old school hero characters are more hit and miss. Nightcrawler works great under Hickman's pen as being a kind hearted almost saint is so much a part of his character. I will let others make up their mind in regards to the rest, for me some good some not so good.

I will just say for Lorna from what I have seen to date Hickman's overall impression of Lorna will have a huge influence on how this comes out. IE 90s vs 00s versions.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-09-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    spoilers:
    It was nice to see the Genoshan genocide brought up and they even gave it an alternate name the Sentinel/Trask/Mummurai genocide.
    end of spoilers

I will say after all the issues of House of X and Powers of X I have bought so far that Hickman is a huge fan of morally ambiguous characters. Wolverine, Emma, Magneto, the Cuckoos, Monet... he straight up kicks ass writing such characters. Same in regard to his even darker characters like Apocalypse and the various Sentinels.

His morally pure hero characters or mostly old school hero characters are much more hit and miss. Nightcrawler works great under Hickman's pen as being a kind hearted almost saint is so much a part of his character. Jean? I will let her fans be the judge of that.

I will just say for Lorna from what I have seen to date Hickman's overall impression of Lorna will have a huge influence on how this comes out. If its early 2000s Lorna there are going to be some very happy campers I wager and he could do a lot of good writing her. If we have Hickman's modernized version of 90s Lorna... well that is a very different story.
    I hope we get strong leader Lorna but with a bit of morally grey thrown in. Like not being totally scared of killing as he's been writing some core X-Men.

Imagine if Lorna wrote those pages. The salt.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I will give big props for Jimenez and his Morrison era variant cover last fall. Though it would be great if the comics finally did something with her history with Genosha and who knows maybe 2020 is the year.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-04-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    lmao

That'd be funny if she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I hope we get strong leader Lorna but with a bit of morally grey thrown in. Like not being totally scared of killing as he's been writing some core X-Men.
    I found myself thinking about leadership yesterday, in general. People who are the best leaders seem to be the ones most hesitant to be leader. They understand the weight of leadership, how much responsibility is involved, what can happen from their decisions.

I think that can aptly apply to Lorna. She's been the leader many times, but thus far it's only been either when the "main leader" is absent, or someone specifically asks her to be the leader. Yet, when she is leader, she tends to be a better leader than most characters who have taken that role because they made the team, or cause they specifically wanted leadership.

And thus we get to character development and evolution. Once you've had to take a leadership position enough, eventually you reach a point where you see it as a thing you should do because something needs to be done that isn't. Lorna's seen plenty. She has the experience to take on leadership because she sees an unfilled need.

Generally, about Genosha. My feelings at this point about HoX, PoX, DoX, (SoX, FoX, RoX, BoX...) and Hickman are in a sort of catch-22. What I've seen thus far both of the event itself and behaviors surrounding it makes me feel it's better for Lorna not to be associated. She'll be clean when the dust settles.

However, if she's left out of Genosha history (which she has been so far), that reflects very poorly on Marvel. We're not talking about some tiny one panel line of throwaway dialogue from a billion years ago. We're talking about a cataclysmic, mind-destroying developmental moment for a character who served as Magneto's right hand woman ("Genosha's princess") leading up to it. It's like bringing up the Holocaust as a major story element and leaving out Magneto. It's a major enough issue that I'd personally consider the entire event invalid if it went down like that. No matter who was writing it, or what company published it. It would be beyond 3rd Birthday, Other M levels of insulting to me (if you know what those are). And I'll leave it at that.

Midnight Launch Parties for Hickman & Yu's X-MEN #1 Planned for Comic Stores

Marvel Comics has unveiled plans for X-Men #1 midnight launch parties at participating comic book stores on Tuesday, October 15. In addition to the release of Jonathan Hickman and Leinil Yu's debut issue, the publisher plans "many exclusive offerings" including limited edition variant covers and unspecified other promotional items.

https://www.newsarama.com/46834-midn...ic-stores.html
    They are pulling out the stops for the flagship X-Men relaunch.

The trade for Prisoner of X is out. It was a good depiction of Lorna that followed a lot of the general ideas of the character from the early 2000s that The Gifted utilized for her in their first season (not their second), but it wasn't a copy of the live action prison story either.

I had no issue that she wasn't the solo lead, she was story wise the female lead of the story and we got to see her POV and thinking. Though I was and still am sick of picking up solid depictions of Lorna that are AU where writers feel free to play on aspects of the character that work. Then it gets back to the regular comic universe and its back to Lorna being a flat generic and frankly uninteresting character.

Prisoner of X didn't re-energize me as a fan because it was not 616 and has no influence on how she is depicted in the 616, but it was a reminder Lorna can be written well when writers break from writing her as a generic female character with no real voice or set of views based on her history.

As for Prisoner of X I used comixology to buy the issues. I did feel I had to get the secret variant cover to #1.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-06-2019 at 12:37 PM.

I had two thoughts earlier today.

The first thought is that it's interesting how the first issue of the new book, that Lorna is supposed to appear in, is being published in October. That aligns with how the Marvel wikia says she was introduced in October 1968, and how it seems like things for Lorna (X-Factor #243, All-New X-Factor #14, Secret Wars: House of M) tend to happen from late summer into fall.

The second thought is leadership. When Lorna was leading the team in All-New X-Factor, my big complaint until it got rectified with ANXF #7 was that it seemed to be ignoring her past leadership experience. While she'd never been the intended leader of teams until ANXF, she had experience as "replacement leader" on X-Factor and pretending to be Magneto for him on Genosha. ANXF seemed like it was setting her up as "acts like an incompetent team member instead of a leader but will develop into a leader" til #7, which didn't really jive with her character history.

What would fit with her history, IMO, is Lorna doubting and grappling with her personal leadership qualities. There's a difference between "filling in" or "selling a part," and believing in yourself as a leader. Trusting that you're a good leader/representative for your cause. Feeling comfortable with putting people - especially friends - in harm's way for the greater good. Setting yourself to a higher standard than before, knowing you set an example. Making tough decisions and knowing it's on you cause you chose to be the leader. When you're "filling in," it feels temporary, like anything bad that happens isn't entirely your fault cause you were dealing with a rough position you weren't "meant" to be in. Being in it cause you put yourself there is another story. One I think could make for a compelling emotional leadership journey from uncertainty to confidence that Lorna hasn't gone on yet.

I think Peter David might've been just starting to catch this at the midpoint of ANXF, but by then it was too late to bring the book back.

Also an important question to think about given a lot of comic fans are tuning back in for the first time in years or reading for the first time. X-Men #1 will be a lot of fans intro to the character.

I want to buy the best comics that includes Polaris (Even better if Magneto is in it). How can I find the names? If she is on the cover, it’ll be better as well. I prefer not so old comics, should be the ones which cost lower than 20€~

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelcomic...that_includes/
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-10-2019 at 03:09 PM.

ZerrockCrisis made a mockup of Lorna and Iron Man fighting in Marvel vs Capcom, using the Marvel Legends figures.

Ammotu is doing "Marvel ABCs" and chose Polaris as the letter P. She's in good company with her father, Jean, Crystal, Namor and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Lorna most certainly needs conflict to spice up her relationships. I am hoping for some in X-Men, but not with the usual suspects.