Page 58 of 92 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post

i found this on pinterest
    It has that Genosha era flavor sans skull choker or energy hair.

An official Marvel 80th anniversary poster. It’s certainly Marvel Golden Age and Silver Age centric.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.

I was initially surprised to see Lorna at the bottom of the V on that poster, but then I did a Tineye reverse image search and saw the image has been around since at least 2010. So it's less a matter of "Marvel's actually acknowledging her for once" and more "someone from 9 years ago acknowledged her for once, and the company is using the image again because they can and it's good quality."

I suppose one positive I can say is that at least Marvel didn't remove her from it like they had that House of M portrait redrawn in Children's Crusade to remove her.

Edit: I'm aware the artist in Alex Ross. What I don't know is if he decided to add her, or whoever commissioned him asked him to add her.
    Last edited by salarta; 10-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I am looking forward to Wednesday. They have tomorrow at midnight X-Men #1 bashes at select comic stores around the country. This issue could do a lot to set the tone for the character in the new era.

Hickman has to enjoy having gotten so many people talking about the X-Men again.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

What are your predictions? Will Lorna "kill" any humans?
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Ultimate Member

Perhaps those trying to kill her but I don't see Lorna just arbitrarily killing humans if she can help it or those not attacking her...

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What are your predictions? Will Lorna "kill" any humans?
    A dead pool? Bad Pun.

Against a hostile militant group producing Sentinels and other nasties to wipe out mutants? Well, let me put it this way Wolverine was killing them in HoX #4 and he wasn't the only one. You are asking if Lorna will fight with the gloves on?

Would she really be more restrained then Wolverine on the matter given her own past experience with Sentinels and genocidal militants? Its an interesting test to see how much the story is utilizing her post Genosha genocide story and characterization. To answer your question no I don't think she would be wearing gloves for this fight unless she and Magneto for a good political reason that they didn't want any dead anti-mutant militants.

The question is how do you think Lorna would respond to this situation?
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

polaris in x men #1 !

Polaris
    Lorna Dane has become very close to her father, Magneto, since rejoining the X-Men in Krakoa. There’s certainly a lot that Polaris can learn from her dad, but she may be keeping her ex, Havok, at a distance.
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    A dead pool? Bad Pun.

Against a hostile militant group producing Sentinels and other nasties to wipe out mutants? Well, let me put it this way Wolverine was killing them in HoX #4 and he wasn't the only one. You are asking if Lorna will fight with the gloves on?

Would she really be more restrained then Wolverine on the matter given her own past experience with Sentinels and genocidal militants? Its an interesting test to see how much the story is utilizing her post Genosha genocide story and characterization. To answer your question no I don't think she would be wearing gloves for this fight unless she and Magneto for a good political reason that they didn't want any dead anti-mutant militants.

The question is how do you think Lorna would respond to this situation?
    Well... they seem to have established the whole "Kill no man" law which got (retroactively) enforced on Creed.

So I'm not as sure.

My guess is she won't, or if she does, they won't actually be humans but machines or something.

It would be interesting if she did though.

OBEY

Well... they seem to have established the whole "Kill no man" law which got (retroactively) enforced on Creed.
    Read between the lines of what Magneto said. Is killing in war to protect the nation murder is an age old question that they would answer in time, but not right there. Monet and Wolverine already did that on the station.

It was a set up for answering that question in an important issue or at least an action that opens that question up for debate. The only question comes down if X-Men #1 is that issue or not.

It would be interesting if she did though.
    All of the X-Men there have killed, though Scott and Storm not on the order of magnitude of the other two on the mission. The debate is going to happen in time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Read between the lines of what Magneto said. Is killing in war to protect the nation murder is an age old question that they would answer in time, but not right there. Monet and Wolverine already did that on the station.

It was a set up for answering that question in an important issue. The only question comes down if X-Men #1 is that issue or not.

All of the X-Men there have killed, though Scott and Storm not on the order of magnitude of the other two on the mission. I will only say I want an interesting fight, Lorna to have an interesting voice in it and some philosophy which blowing up a few robots probably wouldn't exactly do.
    Yeah I wouldn't count on her appearance in this one issue to do those things lol but we'll see

She still needs to get a position/be on a team for a meaningful presence to evolve

This is a golden opportunity (the whole new lineup and status quo) for Lorna to be "grey" so we'll just have to find out if it gets seized

OBEY

Yeah I wouldn't count on her appearance in this one issue to do those things lol but we'll see

She still needs to get a position/be on a team for a meaningful presence to evolve

This is a golden opportunity (the whole new lineup and status quo) for Lorna to be "grey" so we'll just have to find out if it gets seized
    Its already pretty close to the edge of modern Magneto, Lorna and Emma's hardest view on humanity. Not at the edge, but close to it. The debate on killing in war will happen. Hickman is clearly setting it up to be a major council debate, but the only question is what sets it off. This mission is not really well set up to set it off as if a couple soldiers die in this battle is Scott or Storm in the mood to complain about it to the council?

Blood was already shed in defense of Krakoa on the station. I would not be surprised if we don't see sporadic instances of it happening until something big happens that creates a conflict in the council. I will say the team Scott picked for this mission has much less of a balance then the previous mission between 'heroes don't kill' and 'do what it takes to win wars' folks. The issue will blow up and could be a very interesting debate, the only question is when it blows up and for that I don't have that answer.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2019 at 07:25 PM.

polaris in x men #1 !

Polaris
    Lorna Dane has become very close to her father, Magneto, since rejoining the X-Men in Krakoa. There’s certainly a lot that Polaris can learn from her dad, but she may be keeping her ex, Havok, at a distance.
    I was wondering what this was because it read similar to a solicit, so I did a quick search and found the article it comes from.

Keeping Havok at a distance is good, but we'll see what that means. Since the fact he's mentioned at all implies he's going to take away some of her panel time.

The other half suggests she's only really here because she's Magneto's daughter, but we'll see. Maybe what's on the actual page will be better. If I had to go by just the blurb, I'd say everything is unfolding predictably.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Let's hope so. Havok is probably the least sympathetic X-men character and Polaris the most. Maybe they'll put her with that sweetheart from the Fox show, as she's apparently a serial dater. Just stay single!

polaris in x men #1 !

Polaris
    …..

Magneto
    In several ways, the nation of Krakoa is everything that Magneto ever dreamed of. Magneto’s previous mutant nation, Genosha, was destroyed by Cassandra Nova’s Sentinels. And it may be that Krakoa is Magneto’s best opportunity to redeem himself for his greatest failure.

Polaris

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-about-x-men-1
    No larger character goal stated. I am not even sure what she has to learn from Mags at this point. I am not going to prejudge the issue though on that blurb.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Let's hope so. Havok is probably the least sympathetic X-men character and Polaris the most. Maybe they'll put her with that sweetheart from the Fox show, as she's apparently a serial dater. Just stay single!
    When it comes to relationships, my opinion is that Lorna's better off with a bi/lesbian reveal and dating women. Personal top pick is Jean, followed by perhaps Emma. After that is pretty much whoever. Though I'd be for a revived Dreamer made similarly to her Gifted counterpart, as a means of delving into a lost opportunity the show threw away for no good reason.

I think male relationships for Lorna are to some extent tainted right now. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be pursued, or can't turn out good. But difficulties in Marvel handling her dynamics with both Gambit on ANXF and Magneto on Blue suggest to me that Marvel has an incredibly hard time recognizing that Lorna is a character in her own right whenever they write her around men. They seem to default into "must be used to promote the man, ignore any history and development she's had" thinking. Marvel didn't seem to have that problem when Lorna interacted with Crystal and Luna in space, or when she interacted with Wanda and Danger in ANXF #14.

In other words, I wouldn't say "Lorna spends time with dad" or "Lorna learns from dad" is inherently bad and shouldn't happen. It can turn out great in the hands of a good writer, and 10 years ago I would've been chomping at the bit for even one scene of them together. But writers need to be very mindful to treat Lorna like a character, not a plot device for the man's benefit, in writing their dynamic. Otherwise they're just repeating the same tired mistakes that they made with Havok.

I'm giving a tiny bit of leeway on what the linked article implies. It could be misrepresenting what's to come. I sincerely doubt it, but it's possible. It's written by someone who isn't Hickman, after all. But let's just say that I won't be surprised if things unfold as the blurbs imply. They retain the core problem underlying most of what Marvel's done toward Lorna since 2017 (or post-2015 if including her period of forced limbo).