Page 65 of 92 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

I thought this was Anka's costume?

I will just say I would agree that if they are going with second generation inheritor of one of the founders of mutant kind's vision they need something more like one would expect a warrior to wear. Out of her three main green number outfits its basically her original or Genosha without the warrior vibe to it and much more monochromatic. I am not sure silver works as a good secondary color for Lorna though. Gold, black and purple contrast the green better also one of the things that worked on her Genosha design was shoulder pads.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

They're both the same. The one I posted was a sketch he posted featuring Lorna, Pietro, and Wanda, using that costume. Just with the other two edited out I believe. I do agree with the purple and black working well with the green though. I've always like when people incorporate purple into Lorna's costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I particularly liked how Terry Shoemaker drew Polaris with curvy and fluffy hair in X-Factor #93 (August, 1993).

thanks for my new avatar, lol

By Geof Isherwood

Few are bigger fans of the classic Lorna look then myself. The original 60s version was a dark mutant princess look, not so much warrior. Genosha tried to add some warrior vibes to the original outfit and both succeeded and failed. The current one is still a semi-princess look without the edge her original had and certainly no warrior look. I think they should try to combine the princess look and warrior look if possible in whatever comes next. If I had to choose between the two I would probably cut down on the princess look features.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Her costuming should be a function of her narrative purpose in the books IMO

Warrior look if she is going that route

Princess look if more of a leadership position

Obviously the all green thing is super overdone and needs to be changed. Her look in BLUE I loved, it was "casual" and a uniform but had specific touches for her and it was so different from what she's normally in. It made her seem more free to move around and was more practical, made her seem combat-ready.

Again, BLUE had her 1) Get long well with her dad 2) Lead a team 3) Have a new (better) look 4) Be strong and competent and smart

BLUE gave us a really solid Lorna
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

The Blue look just doesn't work long term IMO. However, if you changed the blue to green, it could work for like a black ops kinda mission. Something temporary, but not used all the time.

Bunn did give us a solid Lorna. She just wasn't particularly exciting. I did really love her besting Malice though, and I still feel its one of her better moments over these past couple of years.

The image above on page 57 pretty much is how I would imagine exclusively black ops Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post

i found this on pinterest
    In the perfect world like with Magneto you have an outfit that Lorna can use when dealing with politics or war. Magneto's Greco-Roman outfit is almost perfect for either.

A lot of outfits have tried to thread that needle. Phillip Tan's version of her Genosha outfit probably came the closest to mixing the two.

Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 02:31 PM.

The Anka concept's colors look to me like metal grey - not silver. I think grey works well, as it hints to her powers.

As I've said before, I don't like the "Magneto bubbles" on the chest. If this was DC comics, I'd say maybe, since DC has a history of characters like Batgirl and Supergirl taking such design elements. But in Lorna's case, I feel she needs to retain an individual design, to avoid the implication that she's just an offshoot of Magneto with little to nothing else of her own worth to be acknowledged and explored - which has become more of a risk lately.

Basically, 10 years ago we had the problem of Lorna ignored as Magneto's daughter. Now, it's at risk of swinging to the opposite extreme. Balance is needed.

I agree with the idea of the costume adjusting to fit her role. Again, that could be an in-roads to Lorna changing her costume with her powers. One second she's battle-ready, the next she's princessly for diplomatic needs.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

X-titles broadly speaking can be divided up in five ways.

1. The flagship- the title with the highest readership, typically the best creative talent and the most connection to what is going on. Its where most fans aspire their characters to be if they want them in games, merchandise, etc. in time, but it comes with one drawback. Unless the writer is in straight love with your favorite character expect their development to only go so far there.

2. A core title: This would be a title that has a high degree of readership, but is less central to events and has strong, but not the top creative talent. Still its a title readers want to get to stay up with x-events though again unless the writer is in straight love with your favorite character expect their development to only go so far there.

3. A satellite title: typically low readership with only a few exceptions. Usually a high degree of character development for the core cast members, but often is a title that falls between the cracks and falls into the 'if a tree falls into the forest' concept unless its critically acclaimed.

4. A solo title: the dream for those who want an extreme focus on their favorite character. That is what they exist for, but even moreso then the satellite title falls into the 'if a tree falls in the forest' issue where modern solos not named Wolverine die quick these days without being very critically acclaimed.

5. The one mini series or one shot. Again great for character work and suffer the problems of 3 and 4.

The cat bird scene is to have your favorite character at least reoccurring on the 1 or 2 while having 3, 4 or 5 do the character development piece that the core title nor the flagship has the time to do. Lorna as the second generation inheritor of the legacy of one of the founders of the x-line could get her into that sweet spot of being on the main title and on a lesser title and I think most likely will, but the line just started and building up her fan base again is what matters at the moment to justify a duel role for her.

I want Lorna in x-games, animated series, and merch. That won't happen if she is only in 3-5. I also want real character development for Lorna and that isn't likely if she is in only 1 or 2. Her current position can be lobbied to something that also includes the kind of in-depth character study and development that many fans thirst for. That is all I have to say.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 08:27 PM.

The first issue of X-men made me wish Polaris was the co-lead alongside Cyclops.
    I love the parallels between the two and it would be awesome to see things from her perspective more often.
    Another thing I'd love is if she became the leader of her own faction, a new team of Acolytes.

I'm still hopeful that Polaris will be joining a title regularly during wave two. Hopefully we'll start learning about what's next soon.

Really happy with Lornas portrayal this week. Defo agree shes being set up for bigger things. Wish her and her Dad got more panel Time, but im also glad her connections with other characters like Scott were explored (for the record i adored their exchange and refuse to interpret it as romantic!! They dont need that bs) . Oh but the costume (Costumes?) were a hot mess, Yu could do better

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The first issue of X-men made me wish Polaris was the co-lead alongside Cyclops.
    I love the parallels between the two and it would be awesome to see things from her perspective more often.
    Another thing I'd love is if she became the leader of her own faction, a new team of Acolytes.
    I think we are given a flavor of the potential the two characters offer as second generation inheritors of the dreams of the X-Men founders. They even did call backs to Xavier and Scott when he was a young teen in being his mentor. It is definitely setting up something some thing down the road. Hickman is a philosophically deep writer who loves his sci-fi as I do. The parallels were there for a reason back to the Xavier/Scott surrogate father scenes earlier in the book. There are any number of interesting ways it could develop with time from the fusion point for future conflict or the center point for future cooperation or both.

Anyway art.

By timshumateillustrations
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Appropriate that discussion is still on costumes, becaaaaause... commission posting time!

I commissioned this from BoxOfWant, who previously did a 50th anniversary piece for me last year. The idea of a Halloween pic of Lorna and Wanda dressed as a knight and a witch is one I've had for a long time, and I'm glad to finally get something in that covers it.

There was discussion about saving it for Halloween, but I thought that if it got out now, perhaps it'll inspire some Halloween cosplay.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I think we are given a flavor of the potential the two characters offer as second generation inheritors of the dreams of the X-Men founders. They even did call backs to Xavier and Scott when he was a young teen in being his mentor. It is definitely setting up something some thing down the road. Hickman is a philosophically deep writer who loves his sci-fi as I do. The parallels were there for a reason back to the Xavier/Scott surrogate father scenes earlier in the book. There are any number of interesting ways it could develop with time from the fusion point for future conflict or the center point for future cooperation or both.

Anyway art.

By timshumateillustrations
    agreed as to Lorna and Scott’s relationship here. It’s really interesting, they’re like the children of the revolution totally thrust into a new, insane situation and dealing with it in different ways...love how Lorna looks to Scott for advice, she sees they’re kindred spirits in that way despite any weird family history.

I think Lorna’s gonna play a larger role in dawn of x than we might’ve thought, just like you suggest her being a major player in this specific series. I sense a wave two moment for her....