Page 36 of 92 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

I like Polaris, but I don't know if she's ever had a costume I really love.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Do you have outside sources on this?
    I sure do.

“Oh, God! Barry Windsor-Smith and I were coming into the office to plot X-Men #198 (in 1985),” Claremont recalled in Comics Creators On X-Men. “It was a Friday night and (editor) Ann (Nocenti) took us out to dinner and didn’t tell us about X-Factor until it was, like, 6:30-7:00 at night and the office switchboard was already closed. I wanted to call Shooter, but I couldn’t remember his direct line. Ann knew his number, but she wouldn’t tell me. She told me to just sit down, have another drink and relax. I mean, she played me beautifully. Since it was Friday, I had the whole weekend to go berserk.”

“I spent the weekend coming up with a whole new set of characters that they could use for X-Factor. I came in Monday morning and pitched the idea of using Jean’s sister Sara and making her a living Cerebro. She not only senses mutants, but has the power to work out what they’ll become. Shooter sat there and said, “That’s a great concept. I think it’s wonderful. If you want to go with it, go with it, but we’re bringing back Jean Grey.””

“The fact is, Ann did a smart thing. If I had actually gone in to see Shooter on Friday night, I would have quit. I was so pissed off. I couldn’t believe what they did to Cyclops (Scott Summers). He was supposed to be a hero and they had him walking out on his wife and newborn child and not even thinking twice about it.”
    Their material is all sourced on that page. Same site has a great amount of annotated quotes re: Phoenix Saga and how it evolved, along with many other stories in other eras. Initially Dark Phoenix was not even going to happen. It happened because John Byrne didn't like Phoenix.
    Last edited by powerpax; 08-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.

BANNED

It's pretty obvious that's why he retconned to Jean/Logan dynamics in Classic X-Men. He was pissed about Maddie/Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I liked the outfit that Lorna wore during Austin's time on the X-books. The one with the vampire type cape.
    It seems to get dismissed a bit because Austen's X-Men run had so many other ridiculous moments in it.

By far her best costume to me:

Love that it's not ALL green, so it's way more balanced than most of her looks.
    The vampire look is different, but kind of random? It had nothing to do with the character's team.

I think they should update that X-factor look to give it a little bit more flair, but it's the best she's had.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    By far her best costume to me:

Love that it's not ALL green, so it's way more balanced than most of her looks.
    The vampire look is different, but kind of random? It had nothing to do with the character's team.

I think they should update that X-factor look to give it a little bit more flair, but it's the best she's had.
    Do you mean her original 90's X-Factor blue and gold uniform, or the uniform from volume 2 that had some purple in it.

I agree that her all green uniforms usually aren't that impressive. I prefer for her to have some purple or black in them.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I sure do.

Their material is all sourced on that page. Same site has a great amount of annotated quotes re: Phoenix Saga and how it evolved, along with many other stories in other eras. Initially Dark Phoenix was not even going to happen. It happened because John Byrne didn't like Phoenix.
    Thanks! I'll save the source. I would've replied last night but I wanted to wait til I had something else to post here.

Perfect timing for you to ask this, becaaaaaaaaaaaause...

erik/bikenesmith just finished this art I commissioned from him!

I really wanted something to demonstrate and encourage acceptance of Lorna as various people of color, but as there are so many that it'd be impossible (or incredibly expensive) for all of them, I commissioned for 6. I'm loving how it turned out, and I'm happy to share here!

As far as official work goes, I prefer her iconic costume or a variation of it, as I've said before. I think the Kris Anka (two links) conceptual redesign, with some tweaks, is the best way to take what she has and move forward with it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I liked the outfit that Lorna wore during Austin's time on the X-books. The one with the vampire type cape.
    It seems to get dismissed a bit because Austen's X-Men run had so many other ridiculous moments in it.
    It has a fair number of people who like it. Not so much here which skews towards 90s comic fans, but elsewhere. Mind you I feel her costume should represent both the character as well as what she is currently doing. Her post space default costume for me is on the lower end of her many green outfits starting with her original because its too monochrome and without any distinguishing features.

She should have an 'iconic wear' for the masses and for all intents and purposes she does. But, that doesn't preclude tweaks or even new outfits depending on the situation.

In X-Men Blue she appeared with a cool outfit though it felt just right for Jean not Lorna. Then again Lorna was replacing Jean for the arc that she was in space so perhaps it was better planned then I gave credit for.

BANNED

The All New X factor look was good..it was fun. I do like her green Cape and traditional outfit in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Do you mean her original 90's X-Factor blue and gold uniform, or the uniform from volume 2 that had some purple in it.

I agree that her all green uniforms usually aren't that impressive. I prefer for her to have some purple or black in them.
    The image didn't appear for some reason, but it was the purple and green one that Leonard Kirk designed

any costume with The Headpiece wins for me (probably exceptions but I have yet to encounter any). That commission is to die for btw

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

My top three favorite Polaris costumes, in order:
    1. Buff Muir Island Blue-and-Golds
    2. Genoshan Signal-Boosting Nude
    3. Spoons

BANNED

My fave is when she used to wear Havok's costume when she thought he was dead. You know that **** happened off panel lol. She probably put it on a mannequin and had conversations with it too lol.

Ah i actually wish that happened now.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    That commission is to die for btw
    Thanks! I’ve been really happy seeing fans do fan art of Lorna as black up to this point, and I hope to see more of the same or similar in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    My top three favorite Polaris costumes, in order:
    1. Buff Muir Island Blue-and-Golds
    2. Genoshan Signal-Boosting Nude
    3. Spoons
    Now I wanna commission Lorna wearing nothing but spoons.

Reminds me of when one of my fave artists drew a female character wearing nothing but belts as a joke about Nomura designs in Final Fantasy being overloaded with belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    My fave is when she used to wear Havok's costume when she thought he was dead. You know that **** happened off panel lol. She probably put it on a mannequin and had conversations with it too lol.

Ah i actually wish that happened now.
    I half expect Marvel to do this during Dawn of X, based on the past few years.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Amazing Member

I really like Lorna's look when she was on Genosha with the energy hair and the black spiked headdress I don't care for the rest of the outfit. I do think the colors purple and black really look good on Lorna though so as long as she has a headdress and a fabulous cape and her colors are good I'm happy.

707258-polaris.jpg

I did do this crazy design with the with all the X-Woman in the divine doll maker program: https://www.dolldivine.com/x-girl.php

X-Girl-Candys-World-Doll-Divine-wide 1.jpg