Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Much like we can't change Lorna's history with mind control and Zaladane, we can't change her connection to Alex. He's mentioned because their histories are connected. I gave a brief run down of her history, and tried to keep it to the point.
    Understandable. There are various things I could say, but ultimately this write-up isn't "wrong" either - which is why I didn't make much more of a thing of it.

Her origin story really should be on there though. It took 43 years for her to finally get it, and it took a lot of pushing by fans to happen. It not only established where her powers came from, it gave a brief glimpse of who her mother is and added more confirmation that Magneto is her father. It's just below Genosha in terms of importance.
    Last edited by salarta; 01-01-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Another new thread? Sighs.

Well I'm most looking forward to her in Prisoner X and The Gifted.

We'll have to find out if she is included in any new animated series or what have you.

And possibly in like 3-4 years she might be in a movie.

Just hoping they can get her character closer to a more "conflicted" personality and not a pure hero. She should feel that her dad has some decent validity to his perspective, even if she doesn't completely buy into everything.

It's kind of what sets her apart from the rest. I would like her to get a non-Havok romance at some point just so that even if she and him do at some time get back together, she has "spread her wings" some first at least.

Not sure with who for her.

She could also use a solo book of course....

But if she is written into a team ongoing I would like her to be one of the team leadership (not with Havok of course). I feel her helping lead "B-list" squad is superior to her being the lowest on the totem pole among "A-listers". She can co-lead with another character more in her position. I feel Psylocke, Emma Frost, Monet, Domino, X-23 these are characters close to Lorna level of prominence, but people like Rogue, Storm, Jean are going to just massively overshadow and diminish her. Occasional interactions with those characters is fine of course but not as part of the same squad IMO.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Keep in mind this isn't meant to be super detailed. I was just attempting to give a quick run down of Lorna's history. I've added elements to the beginning that mention Polaris' origin, and her getting her college degree.

Keep in mind this isn't meant to be super detailed. I was just attempting to give a quick run down of Lorna's history. I've added elements to the beginning that mention Polaris' origin, and her getting her college degree.
    Thanks.

I understand not wanting to be incredibly detailed because that defeats the purpose of a summary, which is why I didn't say a lot of other things (e.g. dyeing her hair as a teen, being considered a mutant queen in her first storyline when Mesmero tried to use her, when she was created and how old she is, etc) should be added. They may be things I personally think should be highlighted about the character, but there's definitely room to say otherwise. Similarly, I think the Havok stuff isn't as important as presented here, but it also falls into the "room to say otherwise" category. College degree is another thing I personally find important that objectively could be left out.

Her plane crash origin story is just one of the few things that I think is absolutely essential to any summary though.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Just hoping they can get her character closer to a more "conflicted" personality and not a pure hero. She should feel that her dad has some decent validity to his perspective, even if she doesn't completely buy into everything.
    I personally see her as something of a suffering hero. To her awareness, she's not invulnerable. She could die or be horribly maimed if things go wrong, and she has plenty of cases in her history that would've highlighted that huge risk, yet she keeps going anyway. As such, I see her as someone who's willing to suffer and even die for her goals rather than making others suffer for them if she can help it, but also not above being vicious if the need arises. Uncanny X-Men #442-443 got at right: she straddles a line between Xavier and Magneto philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    But if she is written into a team ongoing I would like her to be one of the team leadership (not with Havok of course). I feel her helping lead "B-list" squad is superior to her being the lowest on the totem pole among "A-listers". She can co-lead with another character more in her position. I feel Psylocke, Emma Frost, Monet, Domino, X-23 these are characters close to Lorna level of prominence, but people like Rogue, Storm, Jean are going to just massively overshadow and diminish her. Occasional interactions with those characters is fine of course but not as part of the same squad IMO.
    I can see what you mean about the risk of "A-listers" overshadowing and diminishing her, and why that leads to wanting her with "B-listers." The core concept to it is the same as why I'm so opposed to Havok anywhere near Lorna right now: concern that a certain perception of Lorna's value will lead writers to write her poorly. I don't think the risk is as great as you do, but I see where you're coming from. I'd be up for this approach with the caveat of Lorna gradually getting more and more time with "A-listers" too. I consider her to be an "A-lister" with a long history of being treated like she has much less worth than she actually does, so I want Lorna to be able to do meaningful things with "A-listers" far more often.

I also still stick by my proposal of teams with a mix of "popular" characters and "obscure" ones; what would be called "A-lister/B-listers" and "C-listers and below."

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Incredible Member

Polaris , X-AMINATION (Peter David/Joe Quesada)
    X-amination.jpg
    X-Factor #87 - Lorna costume.jpg

I have always loved how Peter David wrote her, it's good to have a writer who understands characters.
    And Quesada's art is gorgeous even if the costume is so 90's!

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Don Heck!!!

Uncanny X-Men #52 Jan 1969
    "Twilight of the Mutants!"
    Continued from last issue...

Erik the Red, a potential recruit for Magneto's mutant army in the Mutant City,
    is brought before Mesmero, who believes the new comer should be destroyed.
    However, Erik the Red easily defeats Mesmero's Demi-Men with the force beams fired from his hands,
    forcing Mesmero and the others to flee, but they are buried in rubble caused by the fight.
    Traveling through the complex, Erik comes across Lorna Dane who is lost in thought over her loyalty to Magneto, whom she just learned is her father.
    Lorna attempts to defend herself but Erik the Red informs her that he has come here to join Magneto's mutant militia.
    Lorna confronts her father to get his decision.
    Strapped for new recruits, Magneto accepts Erik's offer to join the group and she tells the new comer the decision.
    With Erik's approval, Lorna orders him to help her free Mesmero and the others from the rubble.

Meanwhile, Marvel Girl, Beast and Angel spring into action, initiating their plan, Operation: Twilight, and return to the Mutant City.
    While inside the main complex, Erik and Lorna have succeeded in freeing Mesmero who expresses
    his distaste in Magneto's decision to allow Erik into their ranks, but accepts it out of loyalty.
    Erik tells Lorna and Magneto that he doesn’t trust Mesmero and asks her to monitor him to which he is granted permission.

However, when left alone with Lorna, Magneto tells her that he trusts neither man and says that they are both capable of treachery.

The X-Men meanwhile have been sneaking through the complex and cross paths with Erik the Red, who turns out to be none other than Cyclops in disguise.
    The group prepares to sabotage the base in an attempt to destroy the Mutant City and crush Magneto's army.
    When they hear footsteps they attack the source quickly, realizing that it's just Iceman, who has come to seek out Lorna on his own.
    The commotion alerts Mesmero who catches "Erik the Red" with the X-Men and attacks with his Demi-Men.
    As the other X-Men battle off Mesmero's minions, Marvel Girl pits her mental powers against Mesmero's hypnotic abilities.

Watching the battle unfold, Magneto orders Lorna to attack the X-Men, a command which Lorna complies with.
    However, on the way she is confronted by a revived Iceman, who tells her that she's been lied to by Magneto.
    He tells her that he has spent the past few days looking into her background and learned that both of her parents
    died in a plane crash just shortly after she was born, making the fact that Magneto is her father an impossibility.

Accepting the truth, Lorna agrees to help the X-Men and with her magnetic powers,
    turns the table on Mesmero and his Demi-Men, saving the X-Men from defeat.

Revealing to Magneto that she has learned the truth, she denounces him.
    Fleeing the scene, Magneto tells the X-Men that he has set the Mutant City to explode in 60 seconds.

The group flees the scene, just barely surviving the blast when Iceman shields them from it with an ice shield.
    With the battle over, the X-Men return to New York accepting Lorna into their ranks.

Script by Arnold Drake, pencils by Don Heck https://comicvine.gamespot.com/don-heck/4040-6609/ and Werner Roth, inks by John Tartaglione.

BANNED

Speaking of Domino..except for future Lorna, I dont recall seeing Domino cross paths with Lorna at all since maybe the X Cutioner's Song era or the Illyana funeral.

Polaris pops up briefly in Uncanny today. She takes out Omega Red, but its a very brief scene. Nice to see her get some action, but nothing to write home about.

Thanks for the word, Soulsword, and to 616 for these brief write-ups as the thread starts.

I feel like I should have more to say, but I really don't.

BANNED

Polaris pops up briefly in Uncanny today. She takes out Omega Red...
    Not surprised, Arkady's no match for her. Still, good to hear. Gotta read it yet, tho. Haven't even watched Gifted yet, due to not being home last night, but gonna soon.

Will also edit some of my later 1st page posts, with highlights from her recent comiX history & such, that I'll pull from the previous thread.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I first saw Lorna in Classic X-Men. There wasn't much of her before she's turned into a villain by Eric The Red, because they're leaving the X-Mansion and the story focuses more on the new, Giant Size X-Men. Pretty much in every scene she and Havoc are just kissing.

I already know about Magneto at that time, so when Lorna said she has magnetism power I wonder if there's a relation, and it turned out, way later in the future, they do.

That's... about as much as I know about her.

The thing about Lorna's early years is that her introductory storyline said she was Magneto's daughter, and it was clearly intended to be true. But then writers had to retcon the idea out for whatever reason. That meant they had to suddenly come up with other things to do with her, which left a void to eventually screw it up badly in how they wrote her around Havok. Maybe she would've been treated better around Havok if being Magneto's daughter hadn't been needlessly retconned away.

Anyway, welcome to the thread, Restingvoice!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I first saw Lorna in Classic X-Men. There wasn't much of her before she's turned into a villain by Eric The Red, because they're leaving the X-Mansion and the story focuses more on the new, Giant Size X-Men. Pretty much in every scene she and Havoc are just kissing.

I already know about Magneto at that time, so when Lorna said she has magnetism power I wonder if there's a relation, and it turned out, way later in the future, they do.

That's... about as much as I know about her.
    The earlier stuff isn't too kind to Polaris. The first page has a reading list if want to get to better know the character.

Since yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about stuff Marvel has done in the past with X-Men and its characters. This was mainly prompted by the CBR thread about the 1995 ad for Chef Boyardee pasta, but it also made me think of all sorts of other things that have been done.

Fans of other characters get to look back on the past with fond nostalgia, or if not that, then at least some pride in knowing their fave actually got to be part of the franchise in a visible and tangible way. They can look back at TV commercials, video games, cartoons or whatever else with some nostalgia or pride in seeing their fave represented.

I don't get that with Lorna. She's not in those commercials, isn't on the X-Men pinball machine or arcade games. Her only appearance on the animated series reinforced some bad stuff, and she had no presence at all on Evolution.

What that means is that for me, every time someone talks all excited about all these 90s things they enjoyed, I don't get any kind of thrill from it at all. All they do is remind me of how Marvel has excluded her from the franchise and acted like she doesn't deserve to be seen as part of it. I can't enjoy anything from the 90s X-Men push because the 90s push tells me that what I care about doesn't matter. The values and perspective I get through Lorna have no place at Marvel in the X-Men franchise, according to how she was treated during that push.

That's how it feels when I see these old things. Which is also why I push so much for her to be represented in seemingly "insignificant" things. Those things matter. Maybe someone that's a kid today will grow up, and 10-20 years from now will get to have the sort of feel-good nostalgia rush that I never got to have with X-Men.

Polaris by Ryan Kelly.

Not sure if this had ever been shared here or not, but I recently saw this and though I'd post it. A great job by Ryan.

https://twitter.com/funrama/status/859890731548332033

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Polaris , X-AMINATION (Peter David/Joe Quesada)
    X-amination.jpg
    X-Factor #87 - Lorna costume.jpg

I have always loved how Peter David wrote her, it's good to have a writer who understands characters.
    And Quesada's art is gorgeous even if the costume is so 90's!
    Peter David is still my favorite writer for Lorna. I really liked when he had Lorna express not liking people trying to get inside her head. A small detail that makes so much sense for the character seeing what she had gone through with Malice.