Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 555
  1. #421

    Default

    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Polaris (and Havok) figures of the past, vs how little this combo pack will sell (assuming Marvel doesn't make special efforts to promote it more than they ever did with the Polaris figure).

    There are two reasons I see for forcing the figures together with no option of separate buys. One is pretty obvious, the other is conjecture.

    Reason #1: forcing more product and visuals of Lorna stuck with Havok. If you want to "collect everything Polaris," they're forcing you to get a pack that pairs her with Havok. Meaning having to spend extra that you otherwise wouldn't, and having to see her associated with him. Of course, the question becomes if people are willing to throw away that extra money, and if Havok included would deter purchase (I'm sure as hell not buying it).

    Reason #2: fear for their own nostalgia-baked fandom. If people can buy 90s Lorna by herself, it means they don't have to buy the combo pack. Hype and social media activity (and sales, if they can see the numbers) would reflect that people want Lorna by herself more than Lorna paired with Havok. They don't want proof that people like Lorna as a character in her own right more than Lorna as Havok's girlfriend, so they remove choice from the equation altogether.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

  2. #422
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    The Havolaris 90s set I knew was coming and the designer did a good job, even if I am very much the opposite of a fan of the era for the character.

    However, Hasbro keeping her off the exclusive Magneto family set was something entirely else and that decision lost them money at least from me this year.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-19-2019 at 08:10 PM.

  3. #423
    Spectacular Member Magnetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I am not a fan of them as a couple. Still I'm going to purchase them since the action figures are truly fantastic works. Havok's hair is too dark though. He looks almost like Gambit cosplay as Havok.

  4. #424
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,782

    Default

    So many books announced and Lorna isnt on any. I think X-Force with Jean would have been a good fit for her

  5. #425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So many books announced and Lorna isnt on any. I think X-Force with Jean would have been a good fit for her
    It doesn't surprise me. Marvel's been very clear for the past two years (arguably 4 years, if you count limbo) that they don't respect Lorna or fans of her. From the get-go, it was going to be either this or forced into the role of Havok's girlfriend - which still might happen. Just as a cameo girlfriend.

    As I've said places outside CBR in more detail, the lack of Lorna is how I know this "new era" isn't going to change anything. Real change would've inevitably pulled Lorna (and characters like her) into more, and more visible, appearances. No change in the way she's treated means no change in the franchise as a whole. Just things that look like change on the surface.
    Last edited by salarta; 07-21-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

  6. #426
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Polaris (and Havok) figures of the past, vs how little this combo pack will sell (assuming Marvel doesn't make special efforts to promote it more than they ever did with the Polaris figure).

    There are two reasons I see for forcing the figures together with no option of separate buys. One is pretty obvious, the other is conjecture.

    Reason #1: forcing more product and visuals of Lorna stuck with Havok. If you want to "collect everything Polaris," they're forcing you to get a pack that pairs her with Havok. Meaning having to spend extra that you otherwise wouldn't, and having to see her associated with him. Of course, the question becomes if people are willing to throw away that extra money, and if Havok included would deter purchase (I'm sure as hell not buying it).

    Reason #2: fear for their own nostalgia-baked fandom. If people can buy 90s Lorna by herself, it means they don't have to buy the combo pack. Hype and social media activity (and sales, if they can see the numbers) would reflect that people want Lorna by herself more than Lorna paired with Havok. They don't want proof that people like Lorna as a character in her own right more than Lorna as Havok's girlfriend, so they remove choice from the equation altogether.
    Option #3

    Lorna is a niche character and has poor merchandise sales in the past, so from a business pov it makes sense to sell her alongside a more popular character who she has historical context with.

    Common sense would dictate this to be the much more likely option vs some super secret convoluted conspiracy theory that Marvel have against what is essentially a minor character.

  7. #427
    Mighty Member darewithpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    but polaris was here so i guess she is going to appear somewhere

    we can be heroes, just for one day

  8. #428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    Option #3

    Lorna is a niche character and has poor merchandise sales in the past, so from a business pov it makes sense to sell her alongside a more popular character who she has historical context with.

    Common sense would dictate this to be the much more likely option vs some super secret convoluted conspiracy theory that Marvel have against what is essentially a minor character.
    Do you have actual sales figures or official statements to back up the claim of poor merchandise sales? Because I remember years ago, pre-Gifted, when a convention panel unveiled her Marvel Legends figure - and the announcer made it a special point to say "you can finally take her off all your top 10 most wanted lists."

    Not that that would be a legit reason if it were in any way true, of course. Marvel hasn't actually made any merch of her besides that one figurine, and hasn't actually supported or promoted her at all compared to countless others they've given heavy promo.

    Most Polaris merch is actually made by fans, not Marvel.



    "Common sense" dictates that a person doesn't need to have a convoluted conspiracy to have undue bias against a character, and subsequently treat the character negatively based on that bias. Of course, it's also possible for a person to go out of their way - like Brevoort did in having a House of M portrait redrawn to remove Lorna, and try to replace her first visually with Enchantress in Axis and then as a sister with Luminous in Uncanny Avengers. But it's also not necessary for a person to have laser-guided hate toward a character in order to hold bias and act poorly based on that bias.

    I'm aware of what you think based on comments you've made elsewhere, though.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

  9. #429
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    but polaris was here so i guess she is going to appear somewhere

    whats the context behind this image?

  10. #430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    whats the context behind this image?
    During the SDCC panel, Hickman (or someone else, but I think it was Hickman) posed the question of who would be in the main X-Men book. He then followed up with "everyone," and showed this image.

    This is part of why I said it's still possible she might get used as a cameo girlfriend for Havok.

    I can easily see some of these characters never getting used, just included in an amalgam image to get across the broad idea of "We're gonna have all sorts of X-Men show up at different points." If I remember correctly, this image was also used as a panel starter to pose the question of "Who's gonna be on Wave 1 books?" before they revealed those rosters.
    Last edited by salarta; 07-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

  11. #431
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,288

    Default

    Well so far Alex's whole reason for being in this is because he's related to Scott, so at the moment he's not exactly getting a push either...

  12. #432
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    I'm picking up X-Men mostly out of the hope Polaris will show up there eventually. Fingers crossed Lorna will be involved in a wave two book, with maybe Vita writing Polaris again.

  13. #433
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Do you have actual sales figures or official statements to back up the claim of poor merchandise sales? Because I remember years ago, pre-Gifted, when a convention panel unveiled her Marvel Legends figure - and the announcer made it a special point to say "you can finally take her off all your top 10 most wanted lists."
    No i don't, but i think the guys who actually make and sell these toys probaly do have those sales numbers? And given that the primary motivation of said indivduals who possess said numbers is to make a profit, I'd imagine thats the more likely scenario versus heavily convuleted conspiracy theory by someone who repeatedly states that they don't care about the X-Men at all and only said individual niche character.

    One statistic we do have access though is online fan interest, so let's use that as an example? The Cyclops appreciation thread currently has over seven thousand posts, while this one has 400 posts, with over half those posts made by the same 3 people. Logic would dictate that this sort of gap in interest/popularity would trickle down into character merch, ergo it's likely thats why her toy is being shipped alongside a more popular character.

  14. #434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well so far Alex's whole reason for being in this is because he's related to Scott, so at the moment he's not exactly getting a push either...
    He got to hijack Lorna's return in Blue, then he got to lead his own team book, and now he's been on the main roster both for Uncanny and post-HoX/PoX X-Men. He's getting a huge push.

    Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    No i don't, but i think the guys who actually make and sell these toys probaly do have those sales numbers? And given that the primary motivation of said indivduals who possess said numbers is to make a profit, I'd imagine thats the more likely scenario versus heavily convuleted conspiracy theory by someone who repeatedly states that they don't care about the X-Men at all and only said individual niche character.

    One statistic we do have access though is online fan interest, so let's use that as an example? The Cyclops appreciation thread currently has over seven thousand posts, while this one has 400 posts, with over half those posts made by the same 3 people. Logic would dictate that this sort of gap in interest/popularity would trickle down into character merch, ergo it's likely thats why her toy is being shipped alongside a more popular character.
    If Lorna couldn't sell toys, they wouldn't waste time and money on the 90s version they announced (and forced into packaging with Havok). Shipping with a "more popular character" would not somehow justify the cost. Beyond that, it's common for companies making things from licensing deals to reflect the interests and priorities of the main company. Don't forget X-Men getting frozen out of merch for a long time, or the debacle of Marvel telling artists not to make cards that featured Fantastic Four characters. Those were explicit; but things on the level of Lorna don't need to be, only implied by what does or doesn't get use by the main company.

    Your impressions of online fan interest are wrong, same as with JDW. I've responded to this already elsewhere. But since you're trying to use CBR activity, I'll go into that. This thread has 29 pages. The Havok thread has 6. Nate Grey has 4. Chamber has 10. Multiple Man has 13. According to your argument, these four characters shouldn't get anything - or at least, less than Lorna. Yet Havok has been everywhere. Nate Grey was the central figure of Age of X-Man. Chamber got his own mini, as did Multiple Man. These four characters "clearly" don't have enough fan interest, since they have less fan interest than Lorna based on your unit of measurement. So why are they getting more out of Marvel than Lorna?

    The reality is that fan interest is gauged in much broader, more nebulous terms. I know how big it really is because as a Lorna fan, that fan interest is my normal. It's every day. I don't have to make special efforts to find it because it's all around me. Which is simultaneously how I know people at Marvel don't see it, and why I'm ticked off by how they treat her. If they saw what I saw, and were not clouded with bias, things would be very different.
    Last edited by salarta; 07-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

  15. #435
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,782

    Default

    Maybe Lorna will be utilized here like she was in Disassembled. We didn’t expect to see her bc she wasn’t on any covers but she was very well apart of the team, got some good moments and was used more than anyone actually expected

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •