Page 38 of 92 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

I've been thinking about comments/posts I've received from various people lately. Not just here, but in multiple places.

Up til now, I've taken peoples' words for it if I don't have direct firsthand knowledge. But I realize now that this is a mistake. Some people may think of things one way, but if I were to see the source, I'd see it very differently. This can be simply down to how we would each interpret the info. It could be taking certain info as the whole story, not considering other pieces that could be missing. Lots of possibilities. Meanwhile, other people (nobody in this thread so far) could depend on me not seeing/listening to every interview or reading the books to claim something's been said or shown that really hasn't. I've seen the things some people do for their fandom, especially when hyped up.

An innocent example being when I ran into Resident Evil 5 fans who acted like Jill Valentine "had" to be left behind in the story because of the way P30 worked, as if the writers weren't the ones who made P30 and decided how it worked. If I didn't know P30 was introduced with RE5, I could've assumed it was created pre-RE5 and agreed with them on how Jill was treated in the game.

All this to say that going forward, I'm not going to just take someone's word for it as my default anymore. I'm going to rely more on expecting to see proof if I'm told it exists and what I've been told doesn't quite match my personal experiences/observations. I've shown/linked to pages, panels, websites, etc to make my case when needed in the past, so I'll expect other people can do the same if I'm wrong on something and they want to set the record straight. With that, I'm moving forward to other topics for the thread.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Goth style versions of Polaris and Scarlet Witch at Flamecon. Flamecon's a comic convention for queer fans. Cosplayers are imagineeri and choxani.

Cosplay by Ciana Parker (Scarlet Witch) and alyss_of_heartz (Polaris). Description includes the word "sisterhood."

Another set of pictures by yhasyme. Exact quote: "Cannot express how amazing it feels to be these queens."

It's been 5 years since 616 Lorna and Wanda got to do anything together. It's been 4 years since any versions of them have been able to interact. In spite of that, the love for their dynamics (and potential future dynamics) as sisters remains strong as ever. Something about the duo as sisters resonates deeply with many women. If Marvel continues to ignore it when the retcon is undone, or worse tries to replace it with something else, they have only themselves to blame for missing out.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I've been thinking about comments/posts I've received from various people lately. Not just here, but in multiple places.

Up til now, I've taken peoples' words for it if I don't have direct firsthand knowledge. But I realize now that this is a mistake. Some people may think of things one way, but if I were to see the source, I'd see it very differently. This can be simply down to how we would each interpret the info. It could be taking certain info as the whole story, not considering other pieces that could be missing. Lots of possibilities. Meanwhile, other people (nobody in this thread so far) could depend on me not seeing/listening to every interview or reading the books to claim something's been said or shown that really hasn't. I've seen the things some people do for their fandom, especially when hyped up.

An innocent example being when I ran into Resident Evil 5 fans who acted like Jill Valentine "had" to be left behind in the story because of the way P30 worked, as if the writers weren't the ones who made P30 and decided how it worked. If I didn't know P30 was introduced with RE5, I could've assumed it was created pre-RE5 and agreed with them on how Jill was treated in the game.

All this to say that going forward, I'm not going to just take someone's word for it as my default anymore. I'm going to rely more on expecting to see proof if I'm told it exists and what I've been told doesn't quite match my personal experiences/observations. I've shown/linked to pages, panels, websites, etc to make my case when needed in the past, so I'll expect other people can do the same if I'm wrong on something and they want to set the record straight. With that, I'm moving forward to other topics for the thread.
    Who exactly are you talking to and when did this thread become your personal blog?

On a different tack from my posting various cosplay, fanart, etc, someone recently tweeted about how this article reminded them of Magneto and Polaris: Some Humans Can Sense Earth’s Magnetic Field, Fascinating Experiment Suggests.

The contents of the article are actually pretty interesting to consider in terms of both fictional evolution/genetics, and in how these things can affect and are affected by neurological processing. Article includes these EEG readings which show alpha waves as influenced by magnetic fields.

Baseline, this article implies magnetoreception might affect the way people behave, and their senses such as spatial perception. On one hand, this could funnel into the idea of Lorna (and Magneto) doing things that are low-level psychic in nature. On another, this could be further used with mood and mentality shifts for both characters, as has been discussed before.

More importantly, what the article says about magnetoreception existing in animals for a very long time raises the question of how the X-gene may be functioning in some cases. How is the X-gene functioning when it's bringing out more of the potential in an existing ability (e.g. this, super strength, etc) vs introducing a brand new one (e.g. shooting lasers from eyes, or growing wings)? If the X-gene is lost/disabled, are these abilities still lurking in Lorna's and Magneto's genetics, therefore meaning they can always be recovered?

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

So the mystery around the Green Magneto has been revealed. spoilers:
    Its a chimera of Lorna and Emma.
    end of spoilers.

We don't get to see them too much unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    end of spoilers.

Sadly I think thats the most out of Lorna, we are gonna get in this story

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Same. Outside of a background appearance or action splash page.

Maybe or maybe not, we will know for sure after next two weeks HoX.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-28-2019 at 07:25 AM.

end of spoilers.

This is the first thing out of all of HoX/PoX that's actually surprised me. More because of how little I think of Marvel these days than because of an unexpected twist.

spoilers:
    My top guesses for "Green Magneto" were either Magneto mixed with some other green-based character, or a blend of Polaris and Havok in keeping with Marvel trying to gradually force Havok on Lorna. I will admit that a blend of Lorna and Emma is an interesting concept, and encourages ideas of how the two women could interact and have a dynamic together outside that. It's also good in the sense that it sort of acknowledges Lorna's time as Pestilence.
    end of spoilers

Yeah, this is pretty much a given. I'm surprised they did this much given how Marvel's acted toward her these past few years. Though as I've said elsewhere, I'm now of the opinion that the less she's in this event, the better it is for her.

I actually have two posts to make. First one relevant to this recent HoX/PoX stuff and the other away from that.

Another reminder of how people interpreted "Green Magneto" generally, on Twitter, before the issue that came out.

Important question to ask and consider. In an interview about a month or so ago, JDW was very clear in saying Lorna is Magneto's daughter, and strongly implying that's not changing. However, I took that more as his take rather than what Marvel in general might say. So depending on more context, this could indicate a couple directions. One being Lorna identified/named (at least there) more by family not tied to Magneto. Another being intent by people who aren't JDW to pull a retcon. Yet another being that this is severely overthinking it, with the intent simply to make it clear it's Lorna rather than Magneto.

This was made as a header by MarHayley04. What I like most about it is the creative font work. Sharp and smooth in some places, rough in others. Pretty interesting conceptual representation of Lorna as a font, that I think captures her personality a bit more than some other fonts I've seen (including the one Mlad did for the Polaris cover).

Another post shortly.

This beautiful piece by ahzrukhals was sent to me by juan. Thanks as always juan!

Finally...

Emma Dumont's going to be at DragonCon. Show may be over, but fans still love the character (at least, as played for season 1) and Emma's still very much into Lorna. DragonCon's gonna be in Atlanta, Georgia from August 29 to September 2. Emma's also gonna show up at Colorado Springs Comic Con this weekend. So if you're near those places or wanna head there, here's the awareness spread for ya!

Dane was used because its what's associated with Lorna. It wasn't an attempt to undermine her connection to Magneto, or a potential change in her parentage.

Dane was used because its what's associated with Lorna. It wasn't an attempt to undermine her connection to Magneto, or a potential change in her parentage.
    IA. Why would anyone think otherwise? Dane IS Lorna's last name. She never changed it even after she learned she was Magneto's daughters. All the Chimera's were listed by last name and if Lensherr was used, everyone would rightfully assume the DNA was taken from Magneto, especially since he looks exactly like Mags.

IA. Why would anyone think otherwise? Dane IS Lorna's last name. She never changed it even after she learned she was Magneto's daughters. All the Chimera's were listed by last name and if Lensherr was used, everyone would rightfully assume the DNA was taken from Magneto, especially since he looks exactly like Mags.
    So then so far, the belief is number 3 of the possibilities I presented.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

Goth style versions of Polaris and Scarlet Witch at Flamecon. Flamecon's a comic convention for queer fans. Cosplayers are imagineeri and choxani.

Cosplay by Ciana Parker (Scarlet Witch) and alyss_of_heartz (Polaris). Description includes the word "sisterhood."

Another set of pictures by yhasyme. Exact quote: "Cannot express how amazing it feels to be these queens."

It's been 5 years since 616 Lorna and Wanda got to do anything together. It's been 4 years since any versions of them have been able to interact. In spite of that, the love for their dynamics (and potential future dynamics) as sisters remains strong as ever. Something about the duo as sisters resonates deeply with many women. If Marvel continues to ignore it when the retcon is undone, or worse tries to replace it with something else, they have only themselves to blame for missing out.
    We´ll see them together on the big screen as mutants/XMen become a part of MCU.

Extraordinary Member

end of spoilers.

Where did they get the Y chromosome, they remember this being an issue for X-23 but not this green Mag?