Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1371

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.

In 2006 Magneto in the Last Stand................; in 2019 Polaris

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Emma Dumont 2019

I will always love you Lorna Dane. You have a will of iron and a heart of gold. I have watched you fight with all your strength, persevere when everything was against you, battle your demons, have your heart broken, understand forgiveness, become a mother, lose yourself, find yourself, face the ugliest parts of your past, demand equal rights, be the bravest person in the room, secretly be the most scared person in the room, fall back in love, learn to compromise and learn the true meaning of friendship. You are an inspiration to me daily and I will never forget what you have taught me.
    Thank you to everyone who supported me on this journey. We all wanted to do right by these characters, the original mythology and all of you. I so appreciate all of your support. Love you all. ��✖�� "To bend but not to break. To yield but not capitulate. To have pride but also humility."

Last edited by jmc247; 11-17-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 10:04 AM.

IMO, I found her to be annoying and the best thing about the show being cancelled was that this thread stopped being spammed with her gifs

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Happy birthday to Emma! A lot of her great moments have been posted, but some of the things I enjoyed: breaking out of prison, taking down the plane, exploring her origin, and creating the headpiece. Miss seeing her on my TV each week.

Though I think one of the things that sticks out in my mind so much is her intro in the Pilot episode.

Love watching Polaris slam a cop against the wall repeatedly. One of my absolutely favorite moments from Lorna on the show.

A lot of who would do what on the show was unknown early on. Brian Singer actually given the way she moved glass shards from her face on the set supposedly yelled she was it. Not entirely sure what he meant, but I suspect philosophical counterpoint. Singers people weren't much involved in season 2 and I think it showed on a number of levels including the direction.

I still remember watching the primer of season one several weeks early on a film in PA and thinking while there was some weakness around the core family that Lorna was going to be a big hit and she was even made USA Today's break out stars for the year.

Emma's continued interaction with the fans online about Lorna and the way she has interlinked casual MCU Wanda fans movie Magneto fans and Lorna is perhaps one of her biggest unsung contribution.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Emma Dumont embodied Polaris in many ways, despite her portrayal being jarringly distinct from the typical comics version most people have in mind.

She redefined the character more or less and it worked amazingly well

A surge of cosplay, art, international fan interest in both Polaris and the Maximoff family ensued

What more to say, she did way more than anyone had a right to expect from her, and the actress truly seemed to resonate with the character and gave justifications for her in-story actions even

Sadly the writers pulled the rug out completely in the latter third of season 2, and if the series had continued in its earlier direction and gotten a season 3 we'd likely be getting a much more prominent Polaris (as well as Cuckoos) by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IMO, I found her to be annoying and the best thing about the show being cancelled was that this thread stopped being spammed with her gifs
    Hmmm... well she certainly is "high energy" which can grate over time I suppose. In a sense I found that to be a similarity with Lorna from the comics, she has been portrayed as quirky, eccentric, gets on others nerves somewhat a bit. So it's not entirely out of nowhere.

And seconded on the gif thing, I don't mind them when it's just fans being excited but it can cause a slowdown in loading and reading threads if it's overdone.

But at least it allowed for the creation of "music videos" type fan-made edits of Polaris. Some of those are pretty exciting and even inspiring.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Emma Dumont embodied Polaris in many ways, despite her portrayal being jarringly distinct from the typical comics version most people have in mind.

She redefined the character more or less and it worked amazingly well

A surge of cosplay, art, international fan interest in both Polaris and the Maximoff family ensued

What more to say, she did way more than anyone had a right to expect from her, and the actress truly seemed to resonate with the character and gave justifications for her in-story actions even

Sadly the writers pulled the rug out completely in the latter third of season 2, and if the series had continued in its earlier direction and gotten a season 3 we'd likely be getting a much more prominent Polaris (as well as Cuckoos) by now.
    The music videos did connect to tends of thousands of fans. I could in season one broadly know the eras she was most like and the first few comics attacking the cop and in prison that was textbook JM's X-Factor Lorna. Even copying her famous scene in the rain where she is surrounded by Shield Agents and ready to kill them all. By the time she got out of prison they had her channeling a more Austen post Gensoha type of Lorna. Though Austen's Lorna had a bit more manic happy then her. It wasn't the betty home maker of the Claremont era nor the generic female character of her first two years on X-Factor no.

The character really a big part of driving the show and the ratings back me up on that. Lorna's flashback episode which was one of the better episodes of the season raised ratings back to about what was needed to get another season though another .1 would have helped. I think the characters second season storyline was weak even before the last third of the season. They really really should have gone with the joint queens format for the show between Lorna and Esme and if they wanted Reeva as the dishonorable one to take over it all they could have done that and had her rip the club out from under Lorna and Esme. The decision to make them foot soldiers though was really bad as was over playing the depressing baby angst.

Imagine a situation where Lorna was running a more Acolytes side of Hellfire and Esme a more manipulating business and political leaders side and less like for the Struckers and you would have had a season three, but its water under the bridge.

I do think the potential for Emma and Lorna in the comics was proved in the show, sadly in Blue I wasn't exactly happy with it as it was a bit too much Jean/Lorna redux. Great for Jean fans, but your average writer will do a why use Lorna when I can use Jean for the same kind of plotline. Modern Lorna I can see beat her upside the head with a brick if she felt she deserved and probably did there, but would also empathize with half baked plan to save mutant kind in a way Jean would not and Lorna was shown not able to there.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2019 at 10:57 AM.