Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1371
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    What would you guys like to see Polaris doing next? I think she might be great in a leading role now. Give her something like X-Corporation or a more proactive team like the Extinction Team.
    Good question. They have stated that in Hickman's X-era, Lorna has grown even closer to Magneto, while distancing herself from Havok. So I see that as her being his right-hand, and him being a mentor to her, in many ways. I'd like their relationship to deepen considerably, not just on a practical level, but a much more personal one. I relish the idea of them becoming each other's trusted confidante, on all matters.

I'm also keen on these early signs of her having a tighter connection to Cyclops, as well, and look forward to seeing that further developed. In addition, I would support the same being eXtended to Storm, so hopefully that materializes too.

Beyond that, seeing her fully embrace the Princess Polaris persona, figurehead role, would seem right for where things are now. But only at its face, and for the time being. It's paramount she acquire her own agenda, goals, and motives ASAP, in order to make her wholly unique, and not just an eXtension of already eXisting conceptual components. I think her interpersonal eXchange with Scott in X-Men #1, got the ball rolling on that. Together with her HoX #5 appearance, I'd say she seems pretty wary of what's goin' on, as she should be:

Jonathan Hickman's X-Men #1 Is Here, and Horny as Hell - io9
    … there is still this undercurrent of emotional distance and alienness to the mutants...

… like some kind of stilted Stepford family vibe. It all just feels, as it has since the very beginning of House of X, like there is something wrong about it all. There is love on display here, in many forms. But the feeling of it is missing. It’s all distant, like empty platitudes and reassurances that everything is good and happy and apparently incredibly, incredibly horny. …

… this is what the X-Men are in this new Dawn. Weird. Distant. Relatably unrelatable. They just happen to bone a lot more now, too.

BANNED

To answer your question more directly, Veitha, it seems there is some sort of undo influence being eXerted over all mutants involved, during this Krakoan age. To varying degrees though, mind you, it appears also. So sooner or later, I believe there's going to be an active undermining of its structure. Likely covert at first, but by a growing number of dissenters, nonetheless. A "rebellion", if you will, and I'd sure like to see Polaris be at the forefront of that. I think it would play into her wheelhouse of unpredictability quite nicely, and further establish her as a free-thinker and independent voice. Ideally, even from that of her father. I don't mind her adopting and utilizing aspects of his philosophy, but again, would prefer she eventually craft a distinctive POV, that's wholly her own.

BANNED

The writer at io9 is entitled to their opinion. I mostly disagree. Hickman has already said there's no mind control. I also don't think Lorna would be the face of Krakoan dissent. This is closer to her dream.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

What would you guys like to see Polaris doing next? I think she might be great in a leading role now. Give her something like X-Corporation or a more proactive team like the Extinction Team.
    I have two replies to this that are pretty similar so I'll quote them for you

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Depends on the purpose of the squad. Is this in comics or film or what?

I like underused characters , new combos etc so I'd stay away from the most typicals

Polaris (leader, extremely damaging and long range - feeling a need to live up to her dad's legacy while also finding her own path in an ever-changing world),
    Frenzy (tough, durability, strength, "the tank/superman" - there to show she isn't just a hothead anymore, attempt at finding moral redemption maybe),
    Mystique (sneaky, crafty - wildcard, cause intrateam conflict),
    Domino (provide the "it" factor or intangible to get team through situations - and also give levity),
    Kwannon (team's telepath mainly but also minor telekinetic too - I want to give this character a chance to get developed and explored, while Betsy is off in Otherworld doing magical crap),
    Elixir (super healer - he's here just to help out and be of use, he still thinks of himself as a naive mutant youth but wants to "do good" although his vision of what that means may have been corrupted over time),
    Daken (the "wolverine" type, self-heals, has claws for melee combat, "rough brawler" - but also able to be conniving and sneaky, can also cause intrateam tensions)

That'd be a fun team. I tried to avoid the incredibly overpowered characters (like Rachel, Legion, and so on).

There are some others I would love to use though but you give me a limit of 7. Destiny, Doug Ramsey, Magik (although Magik is definitely severely OP), Sage. I also made some attempt at a gender and ethnic balance although I guess it isn't quite ideal. I suppose this team theme would be some type of like "headcracker squad" I guess, they seem mostly militantish after all.
    WE NEED AN ACOLYTES TYPE SQUAD....

Hardened enforcers of Krakoa, pure zealots who would fight to their deaths to preserve the new status quo

Originally they are there to ensure anti orochi/sentinel operations work out (they will do the work that the other teams are uncomfortable with), as time goes on and things change in continuity, they become more of Moira's secret police or paramilitary and engage against other less "believing" mutants

Yes yes I know this would "ruin" the characters involved, make them seem bad etc

But. it. would. be. great! And if the writing was good the journey involved could still get readers to sympathize
    Now obviously I'm aware Domino and Kwannon are in other books (and Daken will show up in the Wolvie solo I heard) so I guess they're out

And Raven on the squad clashes with them being "Agents of Moira" somewhat since Raven and Moira are natural antags.

But yeah something of that nature, and sure you can probably throw in someone a bit higher on the food chain if you want to like Archangel or someone

I also went into an epically long post on page 77 of this thread why I'd prefer Lorna to either lead a team or be with characters who are a bit more underexplored/rough around edges as opposed to hanging around the likes of Jean Storm Rogue and so on.

Although I do think Lorna being on for example the Marauders team but her role being essentially to "watch" them in secret could work out great, and maybe show philosophical conflict while she's there with them, like she keeps on pursuing an enemy even to their demise, which upsets other members, things like that. So she can be around other AList hero types but if so I want there to be some kind of "angle" to it and not just played super straight.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The writer at io9 is entitled to their opinion. I mostly disagree. Hickman has already said there's no mind control. I also don't think Lorna would be the face of Krakoan dissent. This is closer to her dream.
    The idea of it, for sure, but the reality of it? The Moira factor alone, makes it more than a bit of a facade.

And IDK, but as an eXample, The Summers House eXperience from #1 seemed rather OOC for most involved. Somethin' just feels off, not to the extent of AoXM obviously, but that there's some form of subtle but... persuasive crowd-think perhaps, that's goin' on, IMO.

BANNED

I don't agree, but YMMV.

I wouldn't count my cookies on a mind control plotline here. Hickman I felt very cleverly put out some are they POD people are they under control foreshadowing to get people talking, but at the end of the day they aren't under Xavier's control nor anyone else's.

If they were under mind control why would Lorna be immune given for some stupid reason she doesn't wear a telepathy producing headwear even though she can make them and likes wearing things on her head?

Paradise will start to come apart in time from within with disagreements, some out for power, and the typical things. It won't come apart from some big mind control revel. Paradise may prove its not all its cracked up to be, but Hickman is more like the kind of guy to show why people be they humans or mutants will screw up paradise by their own nature.

Some twist about the island is certainly possible and even likely, though its not any kind of direct control over those on the island.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I wouldn't count my cookies on a mind control plotline here. Hickman I felt very cleverly put out some are they POD people are they under control foreshadowing to get people talking, but at the end of the day they aren't under Xavier's control nor anyone else's.

If they were under mind control why would Lorna be immune given for some stupid reason she doesn't wear a telepathy producing headwear even though she can make them and likes wearing things on her head?

Paradise will start to come apart in time from within with disagreements, some out for power, and the typical things. It won't come apart from some big mind control revel. Paradise may prove its not all its cracked up to be, but Hickman is more like the kind of guy to show why people be they humans or mutants will screw up paradise by their own nature.

Some twist about the island is certainly possible and even likely, though its not any kind of direct control over those on the island.
    Agree. But there are reasons so many fans are suspicious and coming up with things like "these are not the actual X-Men" "they're all being mind controlled"

It's because there was essentially 0 effort put in to transition from the most recent continuity to this new status quo. It's jarring and abrupt as hell.

Also the whole creepy grinning Xavier did, the fact his face is always covered....

The fact tons of supervillains were invited and many are actually leading the place

I'm super open to Krakoan status quo but it's very understandable why so many people have questions and concerns over it

OBEY

That is what I meant when I said he was leading with the 'is something wrong' foreshadowing to get people talking, he wants people talking and thinking perhaps this is all fake and they are being controlled as we see going on here, either way he wins as a writer, he only loses if people don't talk about it. In terms of building up things for the X-Men leaving the US. That was all Rosenberg's deaths and his mutant cure plotline. It is not that it wasn't there, it was just poorly executed.

I know why some are convinced everyone are either POD people or controlled, but I doubt Hickman will make it that easy. A paradise is not all it seems plotline might happen, but I expect him to prefer something closer to a why people on their own will screw up paradise storyline.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2019 at 09:25 AM.

BANNED

Not literal mind control, in the TP sense anyway, but more...

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    … Some twist about the island is certainly possible and even likely...
    … is what I was considering. Given what it's been shown to be capable of producing so far, somethin' airborne or otherwise ingested for instance, to essentially achieve:

… would be a minor feat by comparison, I feel.

^ Bruh.... warn us before crazy flashing stuff, Ya never know it could actually damage somebody

But yeah, the whole history of Krakoa itself hasn't been adequately dealt with either IMO. I mean I assume for general readers they know Krakoa as the villain from Giant-Size in 1975 and that's basically it. So how did Krakoa get back to Earth from being tossed out to space (incidentally via a powerful team effort crucially involving our gal!), and why is it so helpful to mutantkind now? These things aren't really explained.

Maybe Hickster WILL explain "over time" but again. That's why things feel so strange and we got otherwise-sane folk like Heroine Addict here becoming a full blown conspiracy theorist
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-16-2019 at 09:31 AM.

OBEY

BANNED

Also, influence =/= control. Much in the way steering =/= actual driving, necessarily. I see one as sort of encouraging things that are already there, and perhaps dampening opposing... impulses, say. That's not the same as inserting things that don't previously eXist, or implementing a complete takeover of another's thoughts, and will.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm hoping she'll be a part of X-Corps. I'm not sure of the premise, but it sounds like something Polaris should be involved in. Don't think there is too much longer till we learn more about it, so hopefully Lorna will be involved in some capacity.

Sits up after having a few seizures. LOL.

I see you are excited about the set up, but jumping the gun on wanting Lorna to respond to the belief you have about the set up before there is any evidence the doubts have veracity to them is in my view a mistake for Lorna.

She shouldn't overly question the set up until she has something to back up the notion. Is the writer having fun playing with themes from Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Sure. Is it possible that paradise is too good to be true? Sure.

But, if you want a character to come out against the very popular set up more then a feeling is needed on the part of that character.

BANNED

… otherwise-sane folk like Heroine Addict here becoming a full blown conspiracy theorist
    That's an exaggeration, and I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss there's somethin' more to the story, that's underlying and... not natural.