Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I really loved this. Really impressive to see Lorna going up against her father like that, and hold her own. Not the first time we've seen something like this, but its nice nonetheless. Thank you for posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Thanks for posting the panels. ...
    You're welcome! I think Lorna was just doing what Jean asked of everyone, so she & the other psis could concentrate on Nate, "buy (them) some time." In the second panel, I see it as PvM = cancelling each other out. Her being there & keeping him occupied, basically nullifies his presence, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 01-18-2019 at 09:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Agree with this 100%.
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    ... They had her conscience go into overdrive over teaming with mass murderers. But does that weaken her POV...should it? I hope not. ...
    No, and I agree, hopefully it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    I know that Polaris' role in Uncanny #10 was small, but it was still better than what most of the other X-Men received, seeing as it was just one big fight with a bunch of characters. Her battle with Magneto was more than what many others received, and it was nice to see again. Perhaps some sort of conflict with Magneto is what causes her to be kept hostage in Prisoner-X
    Although true, and respect where due, it's also the first time she's been in an X-Men event (not Marvel event) in any meaningful capacity in over a decade. Last time to my knowledge was her time as Pestilence in 2006. Not counting Regenesis in 2011, which was really just "here's where X character is going" and that's it.

I am also still very miffed about her treatment on Blue and post-Blue in relation to Havok, and slightly in relation to Magneto. If Marvel had done things right with Lorna on Blue, I would have been fine with what we've seen so far in Uncanny and Prisoner X. I probably would've seen it as a prelude to better use in the future. Blue changed things for me. Marvel doesn't get high brownie points from me for doing far less than they should be doing. If they can give Blink a new Exiles book and let her be on a team book when Gifted started, and if they can give Domino, Shatterstar, Lockjaw, Multiple Man, etc solos or minis, they can at least give Lorna a oneshot or a team book she leads. I see anything less as trying to get away with doing less with a character they don't respect enough to use properly.

All in all, if Marvel seriously expects me to be satisfied with just this, it feels a bit like my porch getting completely destroyed so someone else could use the wood to build their porch, then being expected to think a $50 off coupon for Home Depot is fair compensation. Sure, it's better than nothing, but it's nowhere near matching the cost.

And if other peoples' fave characters have been treated just as badly as Lorna or worse, I sincerely hope they demand and get the same things I insist on for Lorna. Lorna being popular on a TV show isn't the key reason for why this needs to happen. It's just an aspect of her current situation that further exemplifies Marvel's disrespect by virtue of how Marvel would've tripped over themselves to fix this if it was any other character in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    "Conflict" with her father, out of the Blue, is what gives Lorna her only identity in this series! Don't you find that annoying as hell? I do! In Universe, she should know more than anyone what being possessed means, and that Magneto needs help to break free, not verbal assaults that are replays of how Wanda and Pietro were written in the 1990s. From the macro point of view, Polaris is defined only by telling Magneto what a bad man he is, and attacking him! She is the last X-person who should be trying to take down Magneto, as their powers don't work on one another. The writers can't think of a thing to do with Lorna except "attack Magneto."

Since Magneto seems helpless in this Age of X-Man, it would be really ridiculous to continue any focus on Lorna solely because of a "conflict" with Magneto. There should be no conflict. They're all caught in some kind of mental universe, they're all in the sh*t together. Lorna should be her father's ally. Better still, why don't they tell the story of "Prisoner X" without defining Lorna only by her "conflict" with her father.

This is so lame. I can't tell you how lame this is. So many of us spent 20+ years protesting the stupid dialogue and interactions between Magneto and Wanda and Pietro.

So all of a sudden, after an attempt by Bunn to work on the father and daughter relationship of Max Eisenhardt and his daughter Lorna in X-MEN BLUE, we're back to Polaris taking the Wanda and Pietro role. "You're a bad, bad man, Magneto. I will fight you and fight you because that's all I'm good for in the X-Men comic books."
    In terms of respect for Lorna, I find this still much better than how she was treated on Blue. For Blue, ignoring Lorna's history of trauma was done for Magneto's benefit, so that he could "correct" her when she's suddenly surprised by an attack on HQ (as if someone who survived Genosha and had massive PTSD from it would ever react that way), so that Mojo dressing her like Malice could flavor Magneto's little pet story instead of actually meaning anything for Lorna, etc. Here, ignoring it at least isn't so Lorna can look stupid and naive to give Magneto a chance to show how cool and smart he's supposed to be.

Doesn't mean ignoring Lorna's history of trauma in her dynamic with Magneto during Uncanny is somehow good. "Better than last time" isn't the same as "this is right on target, keep it up." But it's progress. I'm deliberately choosing to take the attitude that Marvel can still reframe what they've done to make it right. Say, for example, by having a Polaris ongoing with an issue or arc where they get to talk about what really happened, how Lorna knows her father so well that she was really hoping pretending to be that insensitive would help him snap out of the brainwashing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Possesed Magneto vs characters who should be concerned about Magneto like Lorna and the O5 (4) (3?) should've been the focus of an entire issue with emotional beats. Each Horseman should've been an issue. But ya know. Poor story structure or something.
    I'll agree on this. Marvel needs to really learn how to do brainwashed/mind-controlled characters right. The big complaint I had about Malice use in Blue was that it didn't actually matter at all, it didn't provide any insight whatsoever into who Lorna is or what she's been through or how her dynamics with other characters work. Same applies to the Horsemen in Uncanny. And if Marvel didn't want to address it in the main event, they at least could have done so in an offshoot book, even if it's fewer pages at a cheaper cost (e.g. a minicomic).
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Polaris gif 2x12 and 2x13

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    I haven't watched the episode yet, will comment more when I do.

From the previous episode, I don't think it regresses her. Polaris is the "willing to kill, if it comes down to it person", she was the antihero willing to sacrifice a few morals for the greater good. But I think she's realized that what reeva is planning will lead to so much loss of life that it causes her to step back and question herself, on how far she willing to go on the "sacrifice morals for the greater good scale", and makes her realize that she's not willing to become a monster.

I think that's the difference between she and Magneto. And even then he flip flops
    I agree with this also.

Another day, another case of someone noticing something wrong with the way Lorna's been historically treated.

This brings about two things of note.

One, Marvel has at least moved on to doing better in this regard since the Marvel Legends figurine for her was much better (albeit it also took over a decade to happen, with Marvel ignoring demand for her on top 10 lists for years). So credit where due.

Two, it demonstrates that the Marvel of today needs to be better than it has been so that the Marvel of the future can benefit. Does Marvel want people 20-30 years from now looking at content made around now and thinking "Wow, look at how badly Marvel treated Polaris back then?" Especially if future Marvel acts as nostalgic for the past as present Marvel does. There's a decent chance that people wouldn't be talking about these action figures from the 90s if Marvel wasn't trying to be all nostalgic for the 90s with the X-Men right now.

Which, again, is a matter where Marvel shouldn't merely be doing just enough to minimize complaints. They should be doing enough to make people think and speak highly of the company. And keep at it, too.

In other news, something I kept meaning to post but kept putting off.

It's by artkpa7
    Last edited by salarta; 01-19-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Incredible Member

Personally as far as gifted is concerned I honestly don't get the criticism. I get it the Underground sucks and they are terrible at their job. That the Underground members are written inconsistently and everyone wildly flip flops from one episode to the next. The Inner Circle is far more interesting and easier to root for because the Underground is incompetent. All the constant whining about Lorna not being bloodthirsty that its regressing her character I don't get. The only thing i seem to get is they want Lorna to be the Magneto analog in this series

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petrefax View Post
    Personally as far as gifted is concerned I honestly don't get the criticism. I get it the Underground sucks and they are terrible at their job. That the Underground members are written inconsistently and everyone wildly flip flops from one episode to the next. The Inner Circle is far more interesting and easier to root for because the Underground is incompetent. All the constant whining about Lorna not being bloodthirsty that its regressing her character I don't get. The only thing i seem to get is they want Lorna to be the Magneto analog in this series
    I agree with what you're saying, and I think other people do as well. People have been saying similar things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    So I finished out the ep..then watched this week's. Apologizing..undercover now....she should be fighting Reeva outright. They had Evageline say she was the key to winning..of course she is. Frost sisters are practically afraid of her. And shes too versatile to lose to a Banshee scream...lol. Just odd booking. Lauren seems to be getting a darker impulse but to what end? Just another stalemate with her brother.

The show focusing on the purifiers and lesser types wasnt a good move. This show's buzz was carried by the Lorna Character..anything less doesnt work.
    The story is building to the point where it is going to be Lorna fighting Reeva outright. Lorna will win.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by petrefax View Post
    Bloodthirsty? It's not about that. Its about being a double talker and standing strong to the fire ton you went..Blink is whining almost every episode..shes almost like a coward. Lorna didn't back down in Season 1 and she would punk out anyone in the Inner Circle if they got out of hand. They got it like soap opera where she has to apologize, Marcos was right, and she was too mean to him. Who the f wants to see some crap like that? Marcos is a weak goofball...if he was a real man, he would went after his child immediately..mitant underground or not. So he barely has a backbone...apologizing to a weakling like that? That's not good. That's not good at all. That's something Jean Grey or Sue Richards does.

BANNED

NICE, thanX Juan!

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The story is building to the point where it is going to be Lorna fighting Reeva outright. Lorna will win.
    I suspected this might be the case as well. Do ya think it'll just be ideological, or a battle over control of the Inner Circle?

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Thanks juan!

Now for more postage.

1) a fandom Xavier Institute teaching roster

This roster includes Lorna as professor of geology. This is noteworthy because 1) it shows that Lorna's seen by fans as a peer to many characters that Marvel seems to think she's beneath, and 2) fans also acknowledge her masters in geophysics and its value far more than Marvel ever does.

2) these tweets

This is a rare case where I'll highlight something that mentions Gifted because of a greater message and purpose for Lorna.

Once again, people echo what has been said many times: that Lorna's underappreciated, has immense potential, and she's wasted on Marvel. A company that constantly refuses to acknowledge and use any of what she has to offer.

Letting Lorna finally appear in Uncanny X-Men after over a decade, and then making her a member of a team led by Bishop in Prisoner X, isn't nearly enough. Plenty of people besides me think and feel this way. They just don't post on message boards.

3) a few random tweets to consider

https://twitter.com/DecodnLyfe/statu...56981540642817 - tweet challenges people to name at least 5 X-Men in large splash page/image from Uncanny, most replies mention Lorna, demonstrating consumers recognize her
    https://twitter.com/MadMasks/status/1085966469907636224 - someone commissioned a cosplay mask-making company to make a Polaris headpiece; given there are some sites out there that make generics of this, I'm guessing they want something more specific and higher quality
    https://twitter.com/CourtZ022/status...90789799018498 - special shoutout that Lorna should be added to the MCU, as lone reply same person made to a post where they said they wanted Storm, Jean, Psylocke and Jubilee in the MCU; demonstrates she's seen both as a character that should be in the MCU, and that she's seen as having importance alongside other female characters Marvel has done a lot more to support and promote than Lorna
    https://twitter.com/ydrohoe/status/1083729913058942977 - again, green hair = Lorna Dane

Who would you guys say Lorna's closest friends are across the Marvel universe?

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Jean Grey, Iceman, Quicksilver, and Havok are the top four IMO.

Wolfsbane, Multiple Man, Strong Guy are people she should have strong relationships with as well, seeing as how she's worked with them a lot over the years.

Writers typically don't focus too much on developing friendships for Lorna unfortunately.