Page 1 of 95 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The First Family of Marvel: The Fantastic Four Appreciation 2019

From the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of existence itself, the Fantastic Four have touched it all. They've been superheroes, parents, teachers, explorers, and gods.

They're the Fantastic Four.

It's a New Year, new thread. Let's go crazy.

FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD’S GREATEST WEEK,
    January 8th - 16th

"FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD’S GREATEST WEEK will offer fans a sneak peek into what’s next for Marvel’s First Family – with special episodes of shows like This Week in Marvel and Earth’s Mightiest Show, exclusive video interviews, Fantastic Four trivia, curated reading lists, delicious themed recipes, and more! Marvel fans will also have a chance to order limited-edition Fantastic Four apparel in January to celebrate their favorite characters.

Tune in to Marvel.com’s live stream on January 8 to kick off FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD’S GREATEST WEEK!"

https://www.marvel.com/fantastic-four-week
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Anyone have a recommended/essential reading list for new readers?

Those are always good to put on a first page.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-01-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The most popular three for an FF list are

Lee/Kirby (1-102)
    Byrne (232-292)
    Hickman (Dark Reign, 570-611, FF 1-23)

wAiD rInGo AnD sImOnSoN's runs

BEGONE BYRNE
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Happy New Year, FF fans. I really hope 2019 is a better one for you guys. You've been shat on long enough.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Marvel's First Family the Fantastic Four debuted in issue #1 of their self-titled comic in November of 1961 the same year that saw John F. Kennedy take the oath of office of President of the United States. Their origins are intricately tied to the birth of the Marvel Universe that we know today. From the depths of Atlantis to the Watcher's home on the Blue area of the Moon and to the fabled kingdoms of Latveria and Wakanda, the Inhuman's city fortress of Atillan and the antimatter universe of the Negative Zone, we saw the grand tapestry unfold through the eyes of these four adventurers, or Imaginauts as Mark Waid would later call them.

When Stan and Jack weren't busy creating new characters for the FF to meet, they also made sure that any new Marvel character from another fledgling title had to make their acquaintance with Reed, Ben, Johnny and Sue. Spider-Man wanted to try out for the team. The founding members of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four joined forces to try and hunt down a wayward Hulk. Reed and Ben's former Empire State University classmate Victor Von Doom would become arguably one of Marvel's, if not comicdom's greatest villain. Johnny would have a chance meeting with a bearded stranger in a New York flop house that would lead to the return of the Golden Age anti-hero known as the Sub-Mariner. Cosmic entities like The Watcher and Galactus are on speaking terms with the Fantastic Four. Oh, and as for my mentioning JFK earlier, even President Kennedy made a cameo appearance in FF #17.

Now on the eve of the publication of FF #587, we are told that the old order shall changeth. Not that it hasn't happened before...Ben was on the verge of giving up for good quite often before he became comfortable in his rocky skin. Reed was considered dead and was absent from the title for two years. Sue was estranged from Reed and left the team when Reed had to put power dampeners on their son Franklin. She Hulk, Luke Cage, Medusa were some of the more notable replacement members. But it always came back to the original four....until now. According to Marvel, one of them will die and the Fantastic Four title, dubbed by Stan Lee as "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" will make way for the enigmatically titled "FF" in March of 2011. Roster changes are nothing new to titles like the Avengers or the X-Men but with the FF it's always different, more personal. It will be a loss of a family member.

Well, I guess I will just end this opening post with a little contribution paying tribute to the work of Jack Kirby, who along with Stan Lee co-created the FF. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I think Kirby has about 10 thousand or so packed in to this ...

-- This was Iron Maiden's first post of the original World's Greatest Comic Magazine thread, pre-rebooting of the forums in 2014. And here's a link to the previous thread:

Fantastic Four Appreciation 2014 - 2018
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-26-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Post by Rheged from the previous thread -- needs editing. O_O

FABULOUS FANTASTIC FOUR RUNS!
    Chronologically

Stan Lee & Jack Kirby

John Byrne

Mark Waid

Jonathan Hickman
    Matt Fraction & Bagley and Allred
    James Robinson & Leonard Kirk

FAVORITE FANTASTIC FOUR RUNS!
    According to 5717 voters

1 John Byrne 28.0% 1599
    2 Jonathan Hickman 24.8% 1417
    3 Stan Lee and Jack Kirby 17.4% 995
    4 Mark Waid 10.1% 579
    5 Stan Lee 6.7% 383
    6 Mark Millar 2.5% 145
    7 Walt Simonson 2.1% 119
    8 Matt Fraction 1.8% 103
    9 Chris Claremont 1.2% 67
    10 Tom DeFalco 1.1% 65
    11 J. Michael Straczynski 0.9% 50
    12 Roy Thomas 0.7% 41
    13 Karl Kesel 0.6% 33
    14 Carlos Pacheco and Rafael Marin 0.5% 29
    15 Steve Englehart 0.4% 23
    16 Marv Wolfman 0.4% 21
    17 Gerry Conway 0.3% 16
    18 Carlos Pacheco and Jeph Loeb 0.3% 15
    19 Scott Lobdell 0.2% 14
    20 Doug Moench 0.1% 3

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Fantastic Four Omnibus v1 Lee & Kirby
    Fantastic Four Omnibus v2 Lee & Kirby

Fantastic Four Omnibus v1 John Bryne
    Fantastic Four Omnibus v2 John Bryne

Fantastic Four Omnibus v1 Jonathan Hickman

Thing () by Dan Slott
    Thing Freakshow
    Fantastic Four Unstable Molecules
    Fantastic Four 1234
    Fantastic Four True Story

LINKS

Jason Young's Fantastic Four 9 Project

The Science of Reed Richards

The Ever-Lovin Blued-Eyed Thing Appreciation
    Idol of Millions Ben Grimm The Thing Appreciation 2019

Susan Storm-Richards: The Invisible Woman Appreciation 2018

Susan Storm-Richards: The Invisible Woman Appreciation 2019

The Original Dr. Doom Appreciation (2014)
    Victor von Doom: Doctor Doom appreciation 2018
    Victor von Doom: Doctor Doom appreciation 2019
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-27-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by miss fantastic
    john byrne, who, in addition to helming unarguably one of my utmost favorite ff creative runs, also penned and illustrated what i, about 95% without hesitance, proclaim to be the finest ff issue and story ever conceived in ff #236/"terror in a tiny town". I can't express this enough: Read ff #236 asap. You won't thank me enough when you do...it is that thoroughly splendid an issue/story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Besides the Lee/Kirby/Romita/Bushema and the Byrne run.
    A very underappreciated run is the Thomas/Wein/Wolfman run from the late '70s.
    issues #160 - #220
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-27-2019 at 12:25 AM.

issues #160 - #220

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking Happy 2019!!!

2019 is Going to be a Great Year of Celebration for the Returning Royal Family of Marvel and a New 2019 Thread to show just how much the Fandom is their for them!

I am kicking off the Year with a Re-Reading of the New FF series that started late last year 2018 and going threw Marvel Two-in-One Re-Reads as well other essential titles.

I want to start off 2019 with the 1st Family of Comics that has been giving me great joy in seeing them all Back!

Marvel feels Whole again having a New year start off with the family back!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    issues #160 - #220
    That's just after I started reading the FF, so it will always have a special place for me.

What issue / run did others start with?

Happy New Year First Family fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What issue / run did others start with?
    Issue #176. Summer of 1976.
    fantasticfour176.jpg
    My second issue was Marvel's Greatest Comics #69
    marvelsgreatest69.jpg

Happy New Year to the FF! It's great to have them back .