Page 29 of 95 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    One of my favorite arcs from Waid's run is "Unthinkable." The Fantastic Four are explorers, but I don't think they've dived into understanding the depths of magic yet. Sure, that's Dr. Strange's domain, but it doesn't mean they can't pick fights with Selene or Shuma-Gorath. I don't think they've explored the Cancerverse yet and would like to see them deal with servants of the Many-Angled Ones.
    On the topic of exploration. I want more of it.
    I don't like that's it's taken a back seat in recent years. Instead of new places, concepts, and alien beings, we usually get the same old Skrulls or Kree. The Fantastic Four used to often introduce something new that expanded the MU.

Give me the insane, wacky. imaginative adventures.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    On the topic of exploration. I want more of it.
    I don't like that's it's taken a back seat in recent years. Instead of new places, concepts, and alien beings, we usually get the same old Skrulls or Kree. The Fantastic Four used to often introduce something new that expanded the MU.

Give me the insane, wacky. imaginative adventures.
    You what could be interesting? The Fantastic Four go to Hell.

I am being serious, apparently, Mesphisto is the reason why Diablo is so long-lived (and he would not grant a wish like that, a longer life span that would deny him Diablo's soul for now, if he did not have a reason for it), Mesphisto is the one being Doom would hate more Reed and Mespisto having several run-ins with Silver Surfer. Diablo doing Mesphisto's bidding and making the FF end up in Mephisto's realm instead of somewhere else could be interesting, Mephisto is one of the most powerful villains around, but he is different from Galactus in how he operates, he is far more manipulative and cruel, Galactus does what he does to survive, but Mephisto is pure evil. You have the Surfer and Doom involved and I think the FF had a few run-ins with Mephisto, but nothing major, but there are tons of plot threads with FF related characters.

In Unthinkable, Doom could not hack it as a mage, because as a wizard (good or evil) you serve the magical beings that give that power to you, they command you, rather then you commanding them (Doom could not accept that and got dragged to Hell) which is why I think Baron Mordo and Dr. Strange are better wizards then Doom, they know this deal and accept it, so that limits how skilled a mage Doom can be. But Diablo, he could totally be Mephisto's servant and thus be more skilled as a wizard then Doom. It is a darker exploration arc than others, but it does put the FF against a different type of villain and you can easily involve other characters like Diablo, Doom, and the Surfer, it can a major epic arc.

Sure the FF have had run-ins with Mephisto, like that cross over mini from 1987, the fact that he is a big factor in so many FF related characters, demands a real rematch, exploration takes the ultimate wrong turn.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 02-17-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    You what could be interesting? The Fantastic Four go to Hell.

I am being serious, apparently, Mesphisto is the reason why Diablo is so long-lived (and he would not grant a wish like that, a longer life span that would deny him Diablo's soul for now, if he did not have a reason for it), Mesphisto is the one being Doom would hate more Reed and Mespisto having several run-ins with Silver Surfer. Diablo doing Mesphisto's bidding and making the FF end up in Mephisto's realm instead of somewhere else could be interesting, Mephisto is one of the most powerful villains around, but he is different from Galactus in how he operates, he is far more manipulative and cruel, Galactus does what he does to survive, but Mephisto is pure evil. You have the Surfer and Doom involved and I think the FF had a few run-ins with Mephisto, but nothing major, but there are tons of plot threads with FF related characters.

In Unthinkable, Doom could not hack it as a mage, because as a wizard (good or evil) you serve the magical beings that give that power to you, they command you, rather then you commanding them (Doom could not accept that and got dragged to Hell) which is why I think Baron Mordo and Dr. Strange are better wizards then Doom, they know this deal and accept it, so that limits how skilled a mage Doom can be. But Diablo, he could totally be Mephisto's servant and thus be more skilled as a wizard then Doom. It is a darker exploration arc than others, but it does put the FF against a different type of villain and you can easily involve other characters like Diablo, Doom, and the Surfer, it can a major epic arc.

Sure the FF have had run-ins with Mephisto, like that cross over mini from 1987, the fact that he is a big factor in so many FF related characters, demands a real rematch, exploration takes the ultimate wrong turn.
    I like the idea of the team being in a more mystical/magical place. It has them out of their comfort zone, especially Reed. It would be fun to see how he copes being stuck in a world where the laws of science mean nothing. Plus the team could not rely on Reed's science saving the day yet again (which happens way too often).
    But this particular story seems more like another Doom or Silver Surfer story because as you said, they are the ones with the more personal connection to Mephisto.
    I can see Doom, Surfer, and Diablo developing and growing from this story but none of the FF.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-18-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Mighty Member

But this particular story seems more like another Doom or Silver Surfer story because as you said, they are the ones with the more personal connection to Mephisto.
    I can see Doom, Surfer, and Diablo developing and growing from this story but none of the FF.
    Speaking of connections to not-Satan, has Mephisto gotten back at Franklin for fragmenting his soul and allowing for the creation of proto-Billy and proto-Tommy yet?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Speaking of connections to not-Satan, has Mephisto gotten back at Franklin for fragmenting his soul and allowing for the creation of proto-Billy and proto-Tommy yet?
    Not that I know of. Unless someone retcons Unthinkable so that it was Mephisto behind the scenes, indirectly tormenting Franklin through Doom.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

I like the idea of the team being in a more mystical/magical place. It has them out of their comfort zone, especially Reed. It would be fun to see how he copes being stuck in a world where the laws of science mean nothing. Plus the team could not rely on Reed's science saving the day yet again (which happens way too often).
    Still Mephisto drags in people close to the people he targets, there was a ''What If'' issue where Mephisto kidnapped the FF, sent them to Hell to lure the Silver Surfer to his realm and exchanges them for Surfer's soul, even killing Human Torch in the process.

Also, why would Mephisto not want the souls of the FF? Mephisto wants all the souls and frankly, he messes with everyone, why would he leave the FF alone? Heck in Unthinkable Franklin ended up in Hell and the Bentley clone seemed to worship demons at one point.

You also write a story where they go to the Dark Dimension and have them fight Dormammu, but I feel like Mephisto has more connections to the FF's world then Dormammu would.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Not that I know of. Unless someone retcons Unthinkable so that it was Mephisto behind the scenes, indirectly tormenting Franklin through Doom.
    And it Mephisto's case, it was doubly rewarding because in Unthinkable Mephisto also got some payback from Doom for teaming up with Doctor Strange to get Cynthia von Doom' soul out of Mephisto's realm.

Another thing on the exploration, I think Reed shouldn't choose where the team goes all the time. He shouldn't be the only reason they explore. Have the other members want to go to certain destination or just explore the expanse instead of it always being Reed. Have the other members be more proactive instead of reactive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Still Mephisto drags in people close to the people he targets, there was a ''What If'' issue where Mephisto kidnapped the FF, sent them to Hell to lure the Silver Surfer to his realm and exchanges them for Surfer's soul, even killing Human Torch in the process.

Also, why would Mephisto not want the souls of the FF? Mephisto wants all the souls and frankly, he messes with everyone, why would he leave the FF alone? Heck in Unthinkable Franklin ended up in Hell and the Bentley clone seemed to worship demons at one point.

You also write a story where they go to the Dark Dimension and have them fight Dormammu, but I feel like Mephisto has more connections to the FF's world then Dormammu would.
    I feel like he'd target souls more valuable to him like Dr Strange's or maybe Thors. Wouldn't the FF would just be like any other human soul to him? A compelling reason could be created, I just don't see what it could be.

Mighty Member

I feel like he'd target souls more valuable to him like Dr Strange's or maybe Thors. Wouldn't the FF would just be like any other human soul to him? A compelling reason could be created, I just don't see what it could be.
    This is the same demon who bought a marriage and screwed over Miles for whatever reason. I'm sure the FF are on his hit list somewhere. He doesn't exactly like how they escaped from hell multiple times.

If Marvel wanted, they could try to retread the Legend of Faust where someone in the FF gets bored with normal life because they're so smart and need something to make life interesting so they don't die of boredom. It sounds like one of my worst ideas if you asked me.

Certainly sounds like a Mephisto thing to do.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 02-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The FF go to Hell. Issue 666 would be perfect. That's 21 for those of you following the current numbering thing.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I want to see the FF interact with the Shi'ar for a change instead of the Kree or Skrulls, like what I mentioned in a Kree/Shi'ar/Skrull thread I started some time back. Lilandra did abduct Reed for saving Galactus in the 80's, and Gladiator tangled with the FF also in the 80's and in the Captain Universe mini, but I want to see more.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I want to see the FF interact with the Shi'ar for a change instead of the Kree or Skrulls, like what I mentioned in a Kree/Shi'ar/Skrull thread I started some time back. Lilandra did abduct Reed for saving Galactus in the 80's, and Gladiator tangled with the FF also in the 80's and in the Captain Universe mini, but I want to see more.
    I'm kind of meh on the Kree, Skrulls, or the Shi'ar for the FF. In many ways, the three civilizations are interchangeable. There are differences, but they're all just pseudo-human groups with attitudes and intentions just like ours. What I'd like to see is something more alien. Insectoid races, or microscopic Andromeda Strain type stuff. Forms of life unlike what we've seen before. Let's make the FF the gateway to the truly different.

Plant species or water breathers to give Sue a chance to shine with the Atlantean group. Plasma life that Johnny is needed for. I want some crazy Grant Morrison type aliens that are going to waste in Green Lantern.

So where is Wyatt Wingfoot in the midst of reintroducing the expanded cast?