Page 59 of 95 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

It is wonderful. Dare I even say fantastic?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If anyone hasn't read Hickman's Fantastic Four, now is your chance to the TPBs for 67% off at the Marvel Store and on Comixology. Sale ends August 2nd.

In this day and age of different companies trying to make space shuttles the Fantastic Four's origins are still relevant. If they are to make a new movie there is no need for the accident to be caused by a teleporter.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Mighty Member

It actually makes more sense in the context of the MCU.

Earth was invaded by aliens twice. There's a massive market for space travel and space defense, including the various governments of the world and private companies. It would make sense for them to be test piloting state of the art space vehicles only to be met with cosmic rays over Reed's miscalculations.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    In this day and age of different companies trying to make space shuttles the Fantastic Four's origins are still relevant. If they are to make a new movie there is no need for the accident to be caused by a teleporter.
    I would think Reed designs an advanced shuttle design with conventional take off and landing capability and sublight drive. NASA could get to Mars in days instead of years when the ship is perfected.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    It actually makes more sense in the context of the MCU.

Earth was invaded by aliens twice. There's a massive market for space travel and space defense, including the various governments of the world and private companies. It would make sense for them to be test piloting state of the art space vehicles only to be met with cosmic rays over Reed's miscalculations.
    That’s exactly what I thought about it. The MCU has created the perfect set-up for the FF. The need to crack interstellar travel to different solar systems and galaxies would be immense after the events of both the Chitari in 2012 and now Thanos. Aliens with advanced technology have been proven real and they can be dangerous. There would be a new space race with governments and scientists around the world trying to solve it. There could even be a fun montage of all the failures like in Iron Man 2 with all the people trying to make his armor.

The conditions are perfect.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Which is something I liked about the Jim Lee Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four. The rocket launch was not a government project but a private venture financed by Johnny and Sue's company. Even the first FF movie made that switch to a private venture only this time Reed went to Victor for help in financing when he got into debt.

BTW, anyone know if something happened to the forums? They were offline (to me anyway) sometime late last night.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.

They were offline for everyone from about 4.30am to 11.30am UK time, I don't know why.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Are those the Heroes Reborn uniforms?
    I don’t think so.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kheme51/s...37000910426113

Default A Year has passed. What's everyone's thoughts on the current book?

With issue 12 out it's been practically a year since the teams return to comics. What is everyone's thoughts on the run so far?

Personally, I think it has been too grounded without really developing most of the cast. That's usually what comes with the trade-off of grounding the team, you focus on developing the characters. But it's been a year and I still have no clue what the plan is for Johnny, Reed, and Sue. They haven't really done anything and there has been no set-up for future developments (there might be one for Johnny, but that's uncertain). They are just there.

That is my biggest gripe with the run so far. September we'll see how Slott handles the cosmic aspect of the team and hopefully the others would get some more focus.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

the year is 2019 and reed richards is the least relevant F4 member, how is this possible
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

I really don't like the Fantastic Four and found the Future Foundation backup to be more like a traditional Fantastic Four story.

Slott's Fantastic Four feels like an unfunny sitcom.

Characters don't do much development if any at all.

Reed feels irrelevant. Maybe being brought into comics by that 90s cartoon was a bad idea, but I do miss the days where Reed would either directly or indirectly cause problems. He's just so passive. He's not doing much in the way of inventing gadgets, discovering new elements, managing a business, or much parenting really. I just feel like his character is now just mission control who joins in on the action.

Sue feels like a non-entity. All she seems to do is make bubbles. Not much in the way of character. I did like her better in the wedding issue where she felt relevant. I just kind of expected more.

Johnny might have a better dynamic, especially with an older Franklin. Too bad this goes nowhere.

I feel like Ben benefits the most from the most over the top family being grounded since that is a part of his character. The Thing is the only character you can ground easily and still have an interesting story since his condition is like living with a disability. His wedding issue and learning how to dance was great.

The kids, oh boy, I used to like the kids. Now, I hate them.

Franklin doesn't do much except masturbate to his own image. That's not interesting. That's boring. It doesn't help that Slott thinks we're idiots and has to repeat "MY POWERRSS ARE FADDDINGGG IF I USE THEMMMM!1!" every issue to explain why he doesn't will the problem away.

Val is in the same boat as her father. Her being more boy crazy and emotional thanks to puberty fighting against her more intellectual side would be interesting, but that goes nowhere since she's back to generic teen genius #616. Her Moon Girl dynamic is an awful choice since I prefer them to be the same age.

The villains are boring.

Doom's willingness to execute Sue would be way out of character. He was married to an alternate version of her. You would think he would think twice before executing her even if they're not the same character.

Griever twirls an invisible mustache. I get the whole cosmic entity get up, but come on, how strong could she possibly be? Nothing ever dies remember.

Galactus was disgraceful. I can't believe Slott whined about Galactus being turned into the Lifebringer only to be reduced to this. Waid treat him better and Waid reduced Galactus to a somewhat function addict. And it works.

Overall, this run really sucks since it feels directionless and lifeless like a sitcom or reality tv.

So you want Slott kicked off? Who would you want to replace him?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So you want Slott kicked off? Who would you want to replace him?
    It depends on how Slott handles the next arc where they're supposed to go into space. It's not like he's a hack. I did like his Thing solo.

If he can't handle the space adventure, then what's the point?

Ideally, I'd like Ewing or Zdarsky to take the helm. Ewing's ultimates was great and so is Immortal Hulk. I really enjoyed Zdarsky's Two-in-One and Spider-Man: Life's Story and believe he would be great for the book.