Page 476 of 662 FirstFirst ... 376426466472473474475476477478479480486526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 9921

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    can we expect anything better from kitty and her ability to unaware and offensive.. I know we all dont forget this little exchange:

ok I think I'm back on my kick of not liking kitty... I mean Kate.
    IN story this doesn't bother me. In that i don't give a flying who you are if you call me a word akin to that one whatever race you are your getting called it back or worse in the nicest way, and i have actually done it before. BEHIND the scenes this bothers me a lot though and was completely unncessary and feels like an excuse to just use the word.

Also at the time Kitty was what 12/ 13? She doesn't know the history behind the word like the writer and editor did or should.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    In her solos she was declared insane for thinking she was a goddess when she was young. In her solo Ororo's perspective was mostly absent idk I feel like it was more about how other ppl view her than how she truly is.
    I didnt read her solo but this directly contradicts Uncanny XMen #180 in which Xavier psiprobes Storm and find no traces of mental illness.

Also.

Who dis?

BANNED

can we expect anything better from kitty and her ability to unaware and offensive.. I know we all dont forget this little exchange:

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    IN story this doesn't bother me. In that i don't give a flying who you are if you call me a word akin to that one whatever race you are your getting called it back or worse in the nicest way, and i have actually done it before. BEHIND the scenes this bothers me a lot though and was completely unncessary and feels like an excuse to just use the word.

Also at the time Kitty was what 12/ 13? She doesn't know the history behind the word like the writer and editor did or should.
    I actually, don't have a problem with that. I thought the exchange between Kitty and the Black Guy was pretty fair. I commend Claremont for going to that extreme in showing how Mutants are portrayed a lot worse than African American people.....IN Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I actually, don't have a problem with that. I thought the exchange between Kitty and the Black Guy was pretty fair. I commend Claremont for going to that extreme in showing how Mutants are portrayed a lot worse than African American people.....IN Comics.
    Thats going too far for me. They weren't treated worst than African American people were in real life. Black people in america were raped, skinned alive, burned alive, buried alive and every other atrocity you can imagine and nothing on the page at that time in the X-world implied mutants were treated WORSE than African American people. and I don't give any credit to a white man trying to use the black experience to further his own work at the expense of a group of people who were suffering. He could have just as easily used any other race, including white americans and any of the other names they don't like being called. So you completely lost me on that one.

Especially when it has been acknowledged time and again the black experience in the MU mirrors that of real life.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-23-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

I never liked that exchange. Kitty is an upper-middle class white girl with superpowers. Her situation is not comparable to that of a working class black American. If I was that guy I would have slapped her.

BANNED

Thats going too far for me. They weren't treated worst than African American people were in real life. Black people in america were raped, skinned alive, burned alive, buried alive and every other atrocity you can imagine and nothing on the page at that time in the X-world implied mutants were treated WORSE than African American people. and I don't give any credit to a white man trying to use the black experience to further his own work at the expense of a group of people who were suffering. He could have just as easily used any other race, including white americans. So you completely lost me on that one.
    That's totally fine if you feel that way I get it. However, I don't see a problem in that. I think that was good writing and a ballsy move for Claremont to do so. We are not comparing suffering I think that's the dumbest thing anyone can try and argue who suffered the most. For all intents and purpose mutants are an allegory for what is going on in the real world. They are the minority in the comic book world just like Black People, Gay People, Hispanic Etc are today. Could he have used another race? Sure. But using the N word IMO makes more sense because in the story he was trying to tell. From what I took from it is that Claremenont showed that "Mutie" and the "N" word are two derogatory words that are used to tear down a race of people.

Anyway, that's how I took it. I don't have a problem about it. It was a Ballsy move and I commend Claremont for that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    I didnt read her solo but this directly contradicts Uncanny XMen #180 in which Xavier psiprobes Storm and find no traces of mental illness.

Also.

Who dis?
    I'm going to say Kamala Khan is trying to be Carol Danvers....................

That's totally fine if you feel that way I get it. However, I don't see a problem in that. I think that was good writing and a ballsy move for Claremont to do so. We are not comparing suffering I think that's the dumbest thing anyone can try and argue who suffered the most. For all intents and purpose mutants are an allegory for what is going on in the real world. They are the minority in the comic book world just like Black People, Gay People, Hispanic Etc are today. Could he have used another race? Sure. But using the N word IMO makes more sense because in the story he was trying to tell. From what I took from it is that Claremenont showed that "Mutie" and the "N" word are two derogatory words that are used to tear down a race of people.

Anyway, that's how I took it. I don't have a problem about it. It was a Ballsy move and I commend Claremont for that.
    That completely falls apart with "Alex call me Mutie summers." But i'm just going to leave this one alone because i don't know how to say what i want to say in a productive way and i'm not here to battles anyone opinion but i find that logic very interesting. Especially when there are racisms against blacks which would be applied to gay black people and black mutants aside from the prejudices gays or mutants face but no one really likes to talk about the suffering of those inside the larger suffering.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-23-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I hear you but I think it's a cop out to assume she didnt know the history behind it as she said it in direct response to her being called a derogatory word against mutants. if anything she could have called him darkie or blackie and it would have been the same/difference but she was way out of line.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I agree with this.
    Not disputing that it was used for shock value but...
    Claremont through Kitty was making a valid point...not so much comparing how the two minorites are treated (by today's standards, pretty much the same) but the intent behind the words when they are used and by whom there are used.
    She wasn't calling him a ******...she asked if he was one. That's a big difference.
    Bearing in mind...this is taking the minority "analogy" you all love to embrace and applying it to the real world (which you all love to do) and by this time Kitty saw Storm, an obviously Black woman, as her surrogate mother of her surrogate family.
    Today...the word could be switched out for "faggot" and the message of that panel would still resonate as true.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post

Also.

Who dis?
    its sue storm with a haircut cosplaying captain marvel while bending light to change the color of her hair and skin ??
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

That completely falls apart with "Alex call me Mutie summers." But i'm just going to leave this one alone because i don't know how to say what i want to say in a productive way and i'm not here to battles anyone opinion but i find that logic very interesting. Especially when there are racisms against blacks which would be applied to gay black people and black mutants aside from the prejudices gays or mutants face but no one really likes to talk about the suffering of those inside the larger suffering.
    I get where your coming from I do. These are the discussions that make things interesting about comics. Your not battling anyone's opinion, i'm not forcing my opinion onto you to make what I said correct. And nor are you doing the same. But this is a good time to cut it because while discussions like these are good and insightful they are always tied together with a person personal emotions and feelings about something. And we both know how that is. I'll leave it at that.....

Thats going too far for me. They weren't treated worst than African American people were in real life. Black people in america were raped, skinned alive, burned alive, buried alive and every other atrocity you can imagine and nothing on the page at that time in the X-world implied mutants were treated WORSE than African American people. and I don't give any credit to a white man trying to use the black experience to further his own work at the expense of a group of people who were suffering. He could have just as easily used any other race, including white americans and any of the other names they don't like being called. So you completely lost me on that one.

Especially when it has been acknowledged time and again the black experience in the MU mirrors that of real life.
    yup this! all of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I never liked that exchange. Kitty is an upper-middle class white girl with superpowers. Her situation is not comparable to that of a working class black American. If I was that guy I would have slapped her.
    exactly and agreed 100% . and the historical differences between the atrocities done against blacks versus mutants are not comparable. she was out of line.

yup this! all of this!

exactly and agreed 100% . and the historical differences between the atrocities done against blacks versus mutants are not comparable. she was out of line.
    not to mention there are black mutants. So what if a black mutant was there to overhear exactly what kitty said if we are to take the fact that mutie is suppose to be a derogatory word. So would a mutant that is black be able to call her out on it or are they expected to be okay with it. That in a way shows white mutant privilege.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I agree with this.
    Not disputing that it was used for shock value but...
    Claremont through Kitty was making a valid point...not so much comparing how the two minorites are treated (by today's standards, pretty much the same) but the intent behind the words when they are used and by whom there are used.
    She wasn't calling him a ******...she asked if he was one. That's a big difference.
    Bearing in mind...this is taking the minority "analogy" you all love to embrace and applying it to the real world (which you all love to do) and by this time Kitty saw Storm, an obviously Black woman, as her surrogate mother of her surrogate family.
    Today...the word could be switched out for "faggot" and the message of that panel would still resonate as true.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. Although, sometimes applying real world issue into comics can be a good thing......Sometimes.

And you are a brave soul to spell out and type those bad words lol. I never actually type those words out. You brave Man you LOL
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 10-23-2019 at 05:21 PM.