Page 321 of 662 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331371421 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 9921

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Why are you basing this Black Love off of Popularity?

Monica and Adam are just as much a Power Couple.

yeah but people dont even know who they are. No shade but who's Adam? I think its very important to have a high profile black couple bc we need that type of representation. Monica may be a great couple but easily ignored and wont get pushed like T'Challa and Ororo. Those two will have a far greater reach bc of who they are. It helps that they actually have history and chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    She isn't the only Black female in the MU...Why MUST Storm be the representative of Black Love? (Why not Monica and Jim Rhodes? And no one should have to be on any high/great "level" to be a positive representation).
    Can't she just be a representative of LOVE?
    Or..how about a representative of what it means to be single and happy?
    Bc black couples are rare as it is that representation of black love is important. Monica and Jim can be a couple of Marvel wants to, as there shouldnt be a quota they have to reach. The more the merrier. They can all go on double dates

You can't compare Monica and Adam to Ororo and T'Challa lol.

Black Panther with his new found mainstream popularity can actually push Storm unlike many alternatives some of you present. And I mean push beyond the X-books so she can stand on her own... People wanting Ororo and T'Challa together goes beyond Black love.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I know who Monica and Adam are (and I love them as a couple) because I read and enjoy other comics besides X-Men.
    Look...if you all absolutely need to have representations in your comics all well and good but stating that that representation "must" fit with your personal ideals/wants is setting yourself up for disappointment for any number of reasons not the least of which is the fact that pairing Storm with the 'right' partner and why, may not be the most important item on a writer's list of story priorities, if at all.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-28-2019 at 02:38 PM.

I know who Monica and Adam are (and I love them as a couple) because I read and enjoy other comics besides X-Men.
    Yeah and millions of people who dont read the comics know who T'Challa and Ororo are. See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    yeah but people dont even know who they are. No shade but who's Adam? I think its very important to have a high profile black couple bc we need that type of representation. Monica may be a great couple but easily ignored and wont get pushed like T'Challa and Ororo. Those two will have a far greater reach bc of who they are. It helps that they actually have history and chemistry

Bc black couples are rare as it is that representation of black love is important. Monica and Jim can be a couple of Marvel wants to, as there shouldnt be a quota they have to reach. The more the merrier. They can all go on double dates
    Thank you.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Guardian of Good View Post
    Black Panther with his new found mainstream popularity can actually push Storm unlike many alternatives some of you present. And I mean push beyond the X-books so she can stand on her own... People wanting Ororo and T'Challa together goes beyond Black love.
    ‪Thiiiiis is also why a lot of BP fans see Storm fans as bandwagon opportunists though tbh. If they are going to be together then I would rather it be because hey actually work well in stories together and have a well-written connection. I’d rather not have Storm become a trophy piece in the BP menagerie simply because of his popularity, if it won’t actually benefit her as a character. Just give me good, emotionally mature writing God-damnit. ‬

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I bet if you asked a random person who Monica, Blue Marvel, Storm and Black Panther are they would say they have no clue who the first two characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Was coming to post the tweet I saw confirming issue #1 of X-men being mostly comprised of action from Cyclops, Magneto, Storm, and Polaris but I see y’all already beat me to it! That’s exciting seeing as how it’ll be #1 of the new flagship book. We have no assurances on how she’ll be shown so it’s best to keep our judgements secured until we see for sure.

I hate to say it but upon initial impression for me, something felt... off about Ororo’s appearance in BP #15 today and T’challa’s potrayal in general. For all his talk of a “past life” his convo with Nakia ran too thick with an overtone of forbidden love and “poor Nakia” for me. Almost as if you’re supposed to hope that as a soldier, she too might get her happy “ending” which for her would be T’challa. T’challa ending his statement about his thoughts about spending his life with her in peace followed by “I....” only to be cut off by her was not the firm, resounding rebuff of a man assured in his love for someone else. It screamed of a man lost between two worlds, two responsibilities, and two concerns of his heart. Wasn’t thrilled, but we’ll see how that scene pays off/if it does at all.

Then moving on to Storm’s appearance. Don’t get me wrong at all, there nothing at ALL wrong sexual intimacy when you are first around somebody you love and have been denied access to for a long time. That wasn’t the part that irked me. I just wish the flow between them felt like it had more payoff. It seemed so stunted to have them not even show his initial reaction to seeing her again. Not having them at least look upon each other first, showing in their eyes and between them all that there is too much too say. Some recognition and acknowledgement of their bond and how it had been tested and now how it feels to be together again after so long, could’ve been done with a look, and it wasn’t. To have no visual of T’challa’s first emotional response to seeing Ororo after so long and cutting straight from Ororo’s face upon greeting him, to her passed out in bed next to him in post-coital slumber felt cheap... and not in a good way. Especially when Nakia got “I...” after a full page showing his emotional confusion/frustration in regards to his relationship with her due to now having regained his memories. Nakia’s departure was shown to have more of an emotional response from T’challa then Ororo got. Ororo got “hello” followed by no acknowledgement of him seeing her for the first time in 5 years, followed by post-coital snoozing while T’challa seems distracted and then stoic for the rest of the book. It wasn’t bad. I was just expecting a whole lot more for a first connection after 5 years apart(for him). No man should ever have a “subtle” reaction to Ororo’s sexual advances. Much less reaction “not shown”. Coates is going to have to do better for me going forward with them, but I have hope’s for this improving as early as the next issue.

Lastly neither Coates nor Aaron “used Storm as a sex object”. If she is being written within the agency of her own mind then it is offensive to even say that. People often refer to women as “being used for sex” when they don’t approve of their sexual behaviors/partners. Which takes away from the fact that Ororo is a grown ass woman who chose to act on her own sexual impulses at times when she saw fit to. Period on that. You guys, StormPhoenix and Kyss just really don’t like her respective partners and how it went down in each scenario. Which is fine lol but we shouldn’t chalk it up to Ororo being comparative to a sex toy. Storm never wins in that argument and it reeks of misogynistic ideals.
    1. I think Coates decided to be as heavy with the Nakia/Tchalla thing because he is trying to create another internal conflict for Tchalla, as well as show that the 5 years he has spent in space has had a tremendous impact on him. I dont see it in anyway disregarding what he and Ororo had especially considering he never truly explored what they could have been because of the memories of Ororo that remained within his mind even after being mindwiped.

Also, I dont really see there first interaction being one that is loving and let me tell you how much I love you. I see them locking in an intense fashion and getting right to business:

Their feelings were primal and intense. They needed each other and I think that was just to show how intensely they desired one another.

3. To your last point, I will agree I cant stand Logan and ororo as a couple. I highly despise it but the way you characterize their interaction and my reasons for it is not a fair one. When Logan and Ororo got together sexually, it was to spite Tchalla. Ororo very much so took control of that situation but it was clear that for Logan she was something to do as Ororo's feelings became more attached. He even left her to pursue another woman though she didn't necessarily wont him to leave. The same is not true of her interactions with Tchalla. He has always with put her first before any other woman so to compare the two interactions as the same isnt a fair one. Also we must keep in mind these characters dont write themselves. I don't think it's a coincidence that the times she has been in relationships with black men in healthy interactions have been because of black writers. I also dont think it is a coincidence she was handled as she was by Aaron. presentation is the key and how they were presented was starkly different in regard to Logan and tchalla.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

yes to all of this!!! you are really preaching in this thread today!! hallelujah!

agreed!

Yeah and millions of people who dont read the comics know who T'Challa and Ororo are. See the difference?
    exactly!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And how many of those people are out there dreaming of finding their Wakandan King or Mutant Goddess...or even hold their partners (if they're already in a relationship) to those high, fictitious ideals and expectations?
    When I think of Black Love...I would sooner look to Barack and Michelle an actual real-life couple rather than a fictional one, written by someone who may or may not have a true understanding of what a Black relationship/Love looks like.
    Good Love. True Love. Real Love can be representational and positive beyond race, gender social status, age ...and other boundaries.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-28-2019 at 02:50 PM.

I get the more popular characters are can reach to a wider audience but I also don’t think it matters much. I don’t see why it has to be BP and Storms job to represent black love.

People outside of comics know who Nakia is now. Should Nakia/BP be the new power couple instead?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    None of what you said is wrong but in all actuality lately Storm has been creating a connection with Wakanda and it's inhabitants, not it's king. This whole arc has been about Tchalla living another life and the bonds Storm has with Wakanda beyond him. I could also see it as some sort of movie synergy. People are expecting Storm to show up in BP 2 as a love interest but what if it's as something entirely different.
    I can totally agree with on most of this. She definitely spent time building a connection with this people while he was absent. She felt it was only right to look after the place while he was gone. She wouldn’t have a space to occupy in Wakanda if it wasn’t for that relationship they share. Protecting his people is a greater sense of love from her to him. Just like him funneling money into mutant San franteres was an act of love from him to her. My point of contention was about her being used as his sex symbol and nothing more. It could be argued that that’s how Coates used her in this issue, maybe. But in order for that to stand one would have to believe that she swooped in and out just to get dick. That wasn’t the case. She been in Wakanda nearly the entire time. So as part of the story, I don’t see how anyone could read the whole thing and still come away with her meaning nothing more than a sex object for T’Challa. It doesn’t make much sense to me. Everything else I’ll give you that. Coates could definitely be setting up fans of the relationship to b gently let down as he tries to bring things closer to movie synergy. I wouldn’t mind that. I never had a problem with him and Nakia together. More black love please.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I can totally agree with on most of this. She definitely spent time building a connection with this people while he was absent. She felt it was only right to look after the place while he was gone. She wouldn’t have a space to occupy in Wakanda if it wasn’t for that relationship they share. Protecting his people is a greater sense of love from her to him. Just like him funneling money into mutant San franteres was an act of love from him to her. My point of contention was about her being used as his sex symbol and nothing more. It could be argued that that’s how Coates used her in this issue, maybe. But in order for that to stand one would have to believe that she swooped in and out just to get dick. That wasn’t the case. She been in Wakanda nearly the entire time. So as part of the story, I don’t see how anyone could read the whole thing and still come away with her meaning nothing more than a sex object for T’Challa. It doesn’t make much sense to me. Everything else I’ll give you that. Coates could definitely be setting up fans of the relationship to b gently let down as he tries to bring things closer to movie synergy. I wouldn’t mind that. I never had a problem with him and Nakia together. More black love please.
    yes to all of this deliciousness. please drop that knowledge honey!! I'm here for it all!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Popularity plays a major part in representation in comics. If i say the Prowler is dating Starbrite...you will say who the hell are they...lol

Now if I say Storm is dating Black Panther its a much bigger impact to the average reader.
    I Disagree. But i'll leave it at that.

She isn't the only Black female in the MU...Why MUST Storm be the representative of Black Love? (Why not Monica and Blue Marvel? And no one should have to be on any high/great "level" to be a positive representation).
    Can't she just be a representative of LOVE?
    Or..how about a representative of what it means to be single and happy?

I disagree with you because it does not matter if people don't know who they are. The point is showing "Black Love" in comics right? And we have that from Monica and Adam as well. That representation is there. Just because they are not in the Lime Light like Storm/T'Challa how can you say that they don't have Black Love because they are not popular enough?? That's crazy. But hey that's your opinion. I disagree and i'll leave it at that.

When I say Adam I am referring to Blue Marvel. His name is Adam Breshear.

That was not even the reason of why I brought them Up sir or lady.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 08-28-2019 at 03:07 PM.