Page 424 of 662 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428434474524 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 9921
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Yeah, thank Hadari Yao for continuing to be a token.
    lmfao.... I'm going to go back and respond to some of these posts but baby....

the shade I love it!!!

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Interpretations have evidence. You've said both that the X-men stand for minority inclusion and that Storm is the only person of colour with enough experience in 60 years of publishing history to be on a council of 13 members. That's a contradiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    lmfao.... I'm going to go back and respond to some of these posts but baby....

the shade I love it!!!

Hold up! Hold up! Let me get my popcorn!

In all seriousness, it does say a lot that in 60 years of publishing only one mutant of color has the voice and command of Storm.

Even moreso, when the whole premise of a franchise is based on inclusion and acceptance of different.

'Scuse, me, my microwave beeper is beeping. Popcorn is ready.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 10-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No. Your interpretation is based on how You view the evidence before You...not the evidence itself.
    That's a remark and a judgement on the editors and writers of the the X-Men. That's all. Could it be better? Should it be better? Yes, of course, absolutely. Hopefully it will be better.

In the Meantime, though...

Storm, as written by your Lord and Personal Saviour: Claremont, is not token. Never was. Never will be. ( I can't fathom how, as a devout fan of the character, why you aor anyone else would/could think that).
    She had a voice, a presence, meaning, and (to use a contemporary term) agency. Under HiX-Man, so far we've seen Voice, Presence and Agency...hopefully Duggan will add the Meaning.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Hold up! Hold up! Let me get my popcorn!

In all seriousness, it does say a lot that in 60 years of publishing only one mutant of color has the voice and command of Storm.

Even moreso, when the whole premise of a franchise is based on inclusion and acceptance of different.

'Scuse, me, my microwave beeper is beeping. Popcorn is ready.
    lmfao you are so silly... but please save me some of that popcorn. the thing is, it's not open to interpretation and to suggest otherwise would be silly when looking at the entirety of xmen lore. remove storm and what black characters would be on her level in the regard she is given? this question is even more telling when you think about the xmen supposedly representing the ideals you mentioned of inclusion of acceptance of those beings who do not fit into what is considered normal.

oh and please hold the salt and extra butter please on the popcorn my friend... I got a can soda here waiting 4u. (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I posted the scan for his skin color. The text is about his backstory in how he was worshipped as a god in different religions/civilizations. More recent renditions of Apocalypse erase the brown skin and have him blue or something much lighter

I think I misremembered the scan regarding apocalypse. I was thinking of xmen black when they showed him.as a caveman but from what gathered that wasnt actually hiked but he was just reliving the experiences of lesser forms of beings.

Giant-sized X-men No.1 where Xavier called Storm delusional for participating in a ceremonial role of her people and telling her she needs to grow up and help people in America? I mean, if that doesn't exemplify a white person who doesn't think they're racist being racist then I don't know what does.

And I never said "all white people," but certainly white people in a white supremacist society in which white people benefit materially and representationally, like in America where many white folks have ancestors that enslaved people a handful of generations ago.
    exactly. the notion that Xavier was living in the real world though ororo was living in a fantasy is indicative of white privilege in the least, which I agree does demonstrate racist ideals if western culture.

I think Storm would know that her friends and colleagues that she trusts who are white would never consciously act racist and would practice anti-oppression in their everyday lives while making an effort to inform themselves of the experiences of black and mutant folks in order to account for whatever bias might have been constructed unconsciously. Jean of the DPS fit the former (would not consciously act racist) but probably never did the latter (anti-oppression and anti-bias training), hence her disturbing fantasy.

It's 2019 now and contexts have changed in many ways, like the increasing knowledge that white folks should do the work of informing themselves (like I imagine Jean and other white X-men would have done, off-panel of course because writers don't want to write that). Another way is that race never gets talked about in these stories (so-called "colour-blindness" that we know is a fantasy). Claremont at least went there, and it was sometimes an important ugliness (like that DPS scene).

Of course, more people of colour in decision making positions in Krakoa would be something Storm would care about. We are talking about the foundations of a nation and we don't want to repeat America's white "founding fathers" myths and all the nastyness associated. It's obviously great that Bishop is a captain and Storm is respected, but the Krakoa council really needs more. I wish Dani was on the council too. What's Frenzy's status quo these days?
    All of this i can agree with but I most certainly would love to see her actually do what u highlighted in bold on panel. We saw this explored in BP&C which I loved but I think its been way overdue for said discussion in the xbooks.

And having more POC would be nice to see but seeing as though the xmen have always been predominantly white I'm not surprised at the black representation we got. It's funny though. Yes I would agree that ororo would be for more color in the presentsives making decisions for krakoa but prior to hydkin and coates, she was am often described as being above race. do you think a character like her should be above race ?

Well the fact that Ororo seems to be the only one speaks to the job that the X-men have done elevating people of colour. But like I said, Dani Moonstar brings a ton of experience and I'm not sure how prominent she'll be in New Mutants. Frenzy too since she's walked the full villain-hero spectrum and also because she remembers Age of X. Sunspot too but I'm happy to see him have an interesting role in New Mutants.
    yes to all of this!!

I never recontextualized a single thing. I've been reading these examples within the contexts of the 70s and 80s, where Xavier's disregard for Storm's role and responsibility to her people wasn't questioned and where someone like Jean could live without meaningfully examining her unconscious and internalized biases. I mean, I still love Claremont's iconic run but it should be read in context.

Well I disagree if you think one non-super villain person of colour out of 13 is representational enough or that one person of colour represents all people of colour in something as important as that council.
    again you are speaking nothing but absolute truth.

this still has me cracking up btw!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    The last story I can think of where they (incorrectly) made him white the 12 story line. When Jean give him a dose of telekinesis form the inside out, it turned out to be an old white man inside the celestial armor. There may be a more recent one but that the one I can think of.

I was thinking about when he was shown as a caveman in xmen black. I was incorrect there:

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

oan is storm supposed to be in anything tomorrow??

I dont think we have anything else to look forward to xmen related until xmen and maurauders are released.

Astonishing Member

It’s wild how you read my mind, I was about to say the same thing

But once again I’ll be fair and say I think Dani has the leadership creds to take a seat on the council. Since Hickman didn’t decide to have her do that hopefully she’ll play a major role in things moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    It’s wild how you read my mind, I was about to say the same thing

But once again I’ll be fair and say I think Dani has the leadership creds to take a seat on the council. Since Hickman didn’t decide to have her do that hopefully she’ll play a major role in things moving forward.
    that quote was amazing.. daken killed me with that one lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But we expect her to speak out on mutant issues. However mutants aren't the only group being persecuted.

I don't expect Storm to be the spokesperson for every social issue but damn she's gotta have an opinion and speak to it.

Most of the issues you and I mention specifically have to do with her African American heritage, no? If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't she have an american birth certificate? What sense does it make for her NOT to voice her opinion? Ororo Munroe is still technically an African American woman. I kinda feel like that plays on the notion that black women are disposable and forgettable. That's also reflective of the fact that Ororo's mother's brother, the warlord Uncle, was given focus, but her father's sister who died of aids gets no recognition. She died in the middle of the crack epidemic in America, but because Storm is most notably African that has no effect on her life. That doesn't sound right to me.

Thank you Mr. Coates:

https://screenrant.com/xmen-storm-mu...-marvel-comic/

Through the course of her history, Storm has been worshipped as a goddess many times, and in Uncanny X-Men #10, Storm attacks X-Men by famoulsy boasting that she's "been a goddess longer than he has been alive." But it isn’t until Black Panther Issue 172, where Storm is able to tap into her gift of Godhead, powered by the belief of Wakanda, that she actually cements her status. According to her former lover T’Challa, the godhead was passed down from Ororo’s ancestors and is “more than a mutation,” essentially putting rest to the debate. To make it even clearer, the issue ends with T’Challa telling Ororo he always knew she was a Goddess... but she only needed to believe in herself.

it is because of you she is canonically one of if not the strongest African American female ever to be written. websites such as screen rant make it to where your work cannot be ignored.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 10-08-2019 at 11:26 PM.

so today In pox we finally get explanations for why ororo was chosen, alongside kurt and Jean, where chosen for the council. it was not because of her leadership skill or anything like that. no it was because spoilers:
    they are Xavier children
    end of spoilers.

so today In pox we finally get explanations for why ororo was chosen, alongside kurt and Jean, where chosen for the council. it was not because of her leadership skill or anything like that. no it was because spoilers:
    they are Xavier children
    end of spoilers.
    I'm sorry- come again?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

they are Xavier children
    end of spoilers.
    What...??!

they are Xavier children
    end of spoilers.
    I didn't read it that way, compared to the other members they are like family to him, I doubt he meant that literally in such an off hand comment.

BANNED

they are Xavier children
    end of spoilers.
    So, what’s the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ShepardOakenshieldPrime View Post
    I didn't read it that way, compared to the other members they are like family to him, I doubt he meant that literally in such an off hand comment.
    Exactly.

I didn’t see it as that either. More like people he trust and are close to him.

I loved Xavier saying those three were his children. For me it felt like in the respect that his dream is carried on by them. In a world where Xavier has to be something different his "children" have inherited his dream as shown by the council meeting. Jean thought of humans, Ororo made sure to note no one need run from the real world and Kurt's compassion. They are the bright spot in this Xavier's Summer, and he hopes they continue the dream he can't.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/