Page 417 of 662 FirstFirst ... 317367407413414415416417418419420421427467517 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 9921
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Hell yes she is scary and with the power to control the weather? That's even more terrifying. I think sometimes this is loss in the comics but if we think about the deadly nature of hurricanes and tornadoes in the real world it puts the severity of this power in perspective. This is why it was so easy for her to be worshipped as a goddess way back in Kenya. To open the Clouds and bring rain to the animals and villagers baked by the African sun. and that's ok that it didn't answer the question as it was still a great observation lol

yea her lineage definitely should be explored more. there are so many questions. and not just on her maternal side but also her paternal side as well.
    Oh beloved no worries! I figured you would post when you got a chance.

I get tired of seeing those lame excuses as well. It puts me in the mind if what was said about her not being a goddess or she isnt omega. First it was "coates is not going to make her a goddess, hes not being literal" to "the xoffices will never acknowledge what Coates is doing." Its like there are some who dont want this character to be great. as you mentioned, it's not the character that is the problem but not having the business believe in the property enough to push for it. her history can be tied to wakanda, Atlantis, the dawn of humanity, asgard, Kenyan royalty, mysticism, Dracula, doom, trion, death, adversary and that's just the few I can name off the top or my head. There is so much potential stories that can be told and others not even tapped into so for anyone to conclude she cant have her own franchise is not looking at the full potential of what a well supported creative team can bring readers.

and baby I love the shade towards the fake wolverine. that's the only reason that thing has ever gotten the time of day is based upon what it was associated with. I love it!!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    People can't seem to think outside the box on this one.

I mentioned in the thread that Susan Richards has a solo where it was revealed that she has a background working for SHIELD. Who would have thought it?

I say the first thing they need to do is have Storm appear in other non mutant titles like Cap. Spidey, Iron Man etc. And don't let it be some preachy isht. Have her get along with the other hero as they just kick ass.

They really are over thinking this and some can't see her doing things away from the X-Men. She's not just a mutant.
    no no what's wrong with you?????? ... now you know she cant do anything other than be able xman because she has been that for 40 something years.... and shes black .... and shes powerful....

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha omgggggggggggg I hope to the GODDESS that she gets the part!! Shipp and a DC Catwoman movie are a match made I clown heaven. 10/10 would love to see happen.
    lololol... as much as she gets clowned ole gurl does love comics. I saw her special on a comicbook show before the spicy wings movie came out and I was impressed by how much of a nerd she is... it was really cute. but yet let her to fly her wings in the DC universe so we can finally get the chocolate goddess we so desperately deserve in the marvel cinematic universe.

oan: any storm news in NYCC???
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 10-03-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

if these rumors are true we dont have to worry about Shipp making a return to the xworld as storm:

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-tessa...hipp-catwoman/
    *cough* Fox alum *cough*
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

if these rumors are true we dont have to worry about Shipp making a return to the xworld as storm:

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-tessa...hipp-catwoman/
    Yeah. But I also don’t want her to ruin Catwoman. How does she keep getting offered roles?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Yeah. But I also don’t want her to ruin Catwoman. How does she keep getting offered roles?
    lol this made me think of the family guy where Chris Griffin was "How does he keep getting work?!" in reference to Nikolas Cage. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

She aint getting that job.. She keeps getting work because she is light skinned and toes the line.. She has a modicum of talent, just enough to get auditions.. YOu never worry about her stealing the show or stealing the spotlight from the leading lady is often a white woman. Her role is to be the supporting Black woman in the background.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    People can't seem to think outside the box on this one.

I mentioned in the thread that Susan Richards has a solo where it was revealed that she has a background working for SHIELD. Who would have thought it?

I say the first thing they need to do is have Storm appear in other non mutant titles like Cap. Spidey, Iron Man etc. And don't let it be some preachy isht. Have her get along with the other hero as they just kick ass.

They really are over thinking this and some can't see her doing things away from the X-Men. She's not just a mutant.
    People can't seem to think outside the box with her and it's a bit sad. Then I think about all the implications that surround the topic and it becomes abundantly clear. Most people DO NOT see her the way that Hickman has characterized her. It's almost like people really don't value her intersectionality. That's exactly the way to differentiate her from the other prominent mutant, the white ones.

It's so crazy and I have to say how much life Hickman's portrayal of her in HOX #6 gives to a fan like me. The messages that swirl around Krakoa and mutant culture in general is back linked to black people and their struggle for civil rights. There are just so many ways to approach it. I'll come at it the traditional sense. I personally brought up the message of black love that were missing from the X-books. And the message of black love frightens so many people that they can't help but to be shaken by it. They can't fathom actual unconditional love for black people that there just has to be a gimmick. Here in this very thread the idea of black love was sexualized and I couldn't quite put my finger on it at the time. I just knew it was weird. I had no idea that black love was such a unicorn of talking points that no one thought about platonic black love, familial black love, communal black love or black self love.

Hickman has now the idea of Krakoa and their laws. I couldn't be anymore giddy at the announcement. It brings us back to the controversial question: about "why does Storm have to be with a black man?" Only this time Nightcrawler is the vehicle for this particular discussion. He makes it clear that mutants should be with other mutants. They should be together to create more mutants and populate the earth. That's a logical stance to have it only makes sense. I also made the point that two black people creating more black people is the ultimate representation of black love. Many assumed that was supposed to mean that black people only matter when they're together with other black people. That sounds ridiculous. And that specifically is a form of anti-blackness. Black people matter regardless of who they choose as their partner. Storm's stance under Hickman works in very much the same fashion and I couldn't be anymore ecstatic over the implications. Ororo Munroe is a woman that is pro-mutant because she believes mutant have the right to live their lives as they see fit SIMPLY BECAUSE THEYRE MUTANTS. Those are exactly the same terms as I laid of for Storm and the black humans and mutants that look just like her. This went over many heads and I'm certain that those that don't understand the significance of Storm being with a black man, didn't bat an eye when Nightcrawler suggested that mutants partner up with other mutants. Storm scoffed at that idea because she knows she much more than mutant. And the greatest gift any human or mutant can give themselves is to live a fulfilling life with more happiness than they can hold in both hands. Hickman's Storm is totally ready for this social media age and hyper awareness of minority issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    *cough* Fox alum *cough*
    lolol

Yeah. But I also donÂ’t want her to ruin Catwoman. How does she keep getting offered roles?
    shes not too bad an actress I thought she was good in that movie where the main character was a closeted gay guy in high school. I'm not sure she can give me the necessary fierceness required to be Selina. Michelle Phifer to this day is the best Catwoman I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    She aint getting that job.. She keeps getting work because she is light skinned and toes the line.. She has a modicum of talent, just enough to get auditions.. YOu never worry about her stealing the show or stealing the spotlight from the leading lady is often a white woman. Her role is to be the supporting Black woman in the background.
    ooooooh Chile this shade is way too much for me.... my feelings are hurt for her lol.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    People can't seem to think outside the box with her and it's a bit sad. Then I think about all the implications that surround the topic and it becomes abundantly clear. Most people DO NOT see her the way that Hickman has characterized her. It's almost like people really don't value her intersectionality. That's exactly the way to differentiate her from the other prominent mutant, the white ones.

It's so crazy and I have to say how much life Hickman's portrayal of her in HOX #6 gives to a fan like me. The messages that swirl around Krakoa and mutant culture in general is back linked to black people and their struggle for civil rights. There are just so many ways to approach it. I'll come at it the traditional sense. I personally brought up the message of black love that were missing from the X-books. And the message of black love frightens so many people that they can't help but to be shaken by it. They can't fathom actual unconditional love for black people that there just has to be a gimmick. Here in this very thread the idea of black love was sexualized and I couldn't quite put my finger on it at the time. I just knew it was weird. I had no idea that black love was such a unicorn of talking points that no one thought about platonic black love, familial black love, communal black love or black self love.

Hickman has now the idea of Krakoa and their laws. I couldn't be anymore giddy at the announcement. It brings us back to the controversial question: about "why does Storm have to be with a black man?" Only this time Nightcrawler is the vehicle for this particular discussion. He makes it clear that mutants should be with other mutants. They should be together to create more mutants and populate the earth. That's a logical stance to have it only makes sense. I also made the point that two black people creating more black people is the ultimate representation of black love. Many assumed that was supposed to mean that black people only matter when they're together with other black people. That sounds ridiculous. And that specifically is a form of anti-blackness. Black people matter regardless of who they choose as their partner. Storm's stance under Hickman works in very much the same fashion and I couldn't be anymore ecstatic over the implications. Ororo Munroe is a woman that is pro-mutant because she believes mutant have the right to live their lives as they see fit SIMPLY BECAUSE THEYRE MUTANTS. Those are exactly the same terms as I laid of for Storm and the black humans and mutants that look just like her. This went over many heads and I'm certain that those that don't understand the significance of Storm being with a black man, didn't bat an eye when Nightcrawler suggested that mutants partner up with other mutants. Storm scoffed at that idea because she knows she much more than mutant. And the greatest gift any human or mutant can give themselves is to live a fulfilling life with more happiness than they can hold in both hands. Hickman's Storm is totally ready for this social media age and hyper awareness of minority issues.
    Thank you for this post. There is so much here to digest so please bare with me.

I think one of the main reasons people dont think outside of the box with her is primarily due to her characterization by the xoffices. I blame this mostly on Lobdell but he inserted into canon the notion she was nothing and will be nothing but an xmen. Add to this a part of her mythos revolved around the "mammy" archetype. This was originally seen with Claremont and Kitty; however, Claremont had her break away from that when she went punk. Ororo thereafter would fall back into the mother hen roll, especially during the time she was headmistress of the Jean Grey Institute. She ultimately was now the woman who would never be anything but an Xman who is either the stern mother of the younger mutants or the big sister to her colleagues (such as to Jean). When other writers attempt to show her having any interactions beyond this, especially if these said interactions are with other black people, it is called racist. The irony of it all is that the former depiction of her by the xoffices are what is racist.

Which leads to you next point about the need to see more black with black interactions. The commonality you drew between what kurt said and the rationale for why there needs to be more black love and hence why Ororo needs to be with a Black Man is amazing! The need for these mutants to be respected, to have their own language and culture is identical to the African American experience in this country - a group of people whose language, culture, and religion was all stripped from them. Ororo being an African American expressing solidarity behind mutant pride with Krakoa and not doing the same when it involves the African American experience, being a black woman, just doesnt make any sense. It is why I so appreciate Coates giving her ties to Harlem and the black folks there. It is why I love that she is revered by a goddess by African people, when her colleagues fail to see this. I hope the similarities between the mutant experience and the black experience translate to something tangible in Hickman's story but I not too sure I'm as optimistic as you are in the regard.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    This right here. Sadly true.
    Last edited by GuiltyPleasure; 10-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Exactly. OMG. So true. This is the reason why I had no problem when Hudlin was allowed to pair T'Challa and Ororo. A lot of people then and now complained Marvel only did it because they were two black characters. For me, I was like "and, so what?" Few really bring that up when over 95% of the comic book couples are white or even heterosexual. No one says, Cyclops only got with Jean and Emma because they were white women, regardless of whether their pairing made sense. Too many of us take white love as "normal" and few question it. Some of us also think comics or movies are being "liberal" when they pair a white character with a black character. Now, considering in the U.S., there used to be anti-miscegenation laws, depiction of interracial couples is a big step. This is the thing, that step rarely seldom includes, as you noted, black love. Where is that representation in comics and movies? There are too few examples, almost to the point of indirectly implying that it doesn't exist in society or that it is a rarity, which isn't true.

Almost any comic book pairing can be made to work under the right pen, including ones when fans would've never entertained the pairing. And no, if mutants don't pair with other mutants, there won't be a mutant population as time goes on. The same is true for real life groups as well, including African Americans. Now, I'm noting that African Americans, just like every other "racial" is a social construct, not biological. I am not implying that race is genetic but it is cultural and has social implications. Whereas, being a mutant is biological, cultural, and social.
    Last edited by GuiltyPleasure; 10-04-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Well said on this one. Honestly imo, a lot of times in the X-books Storm is written as a white woman with Black skin. Very little is said about her heritage or identity as a Black woman. It's like she is drawn as a Black woman and little else. If being a mutant in the Marvel universe is bad, then imagine being a young black mutant with all of the added racial bias and prejudices.

How does Storm feel about young black men and women being gunned down by the police? How does she feel about Black women being one the most under represented groups but one of the most politically active? Or how Black women don't always get medical treatment afforded other groups? Has she even been to the MLK monument? Someone as socially aware is she is should be active for more than just mutant causes. Mutants aren't the only persecuted group and she wouldn't just advocate mutant causes only.

Does anyone have pics from HoX 6?

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Does anyone have pics from HoX 6?
    I'm not sure what images you want to but here are a couple of storm from that issue:

I'm not sure what images you want to but here are a couple of storm from that issue:

Thank you. I should've been specific. I was asking about the scenes you guys were talking about with Storm.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I did now! Sorry I’ve been in the HoX threads a lot today so I’m just now making the rounds. I did see it and the thread for that topic as well. I personally think the question of whether or not Storm can support her own solo series is beyond redundant. Everyone using the excuses of she “started in a team and must remain in one” and “her solos would have lasted if she could” are entirely inaccurate, almost to the point of being intentionally insulting. How many characters started on a team and have gone on to have successful solo books? How can you not take into account the editorial push to make a solo great by having a passionate and talented writer paired with an amazing art team? It makes no sense to me to say otherwise honesty, especially because Ororo, having the 6th highest number of appearances out of ANY Marvel character has so much canon and potential behind her to believe otherwise. A black, female, African and American, goddess, omega level mutant, superhero with power over the elements and any number of antagonists from her past and potential one’s for her future... can’t support a book? But a character created 19 years ago who was just a gender swapped rip off of another one can? Not to quote Gaga but I HAVE to laugh. The only joke is the very question itself.
    That is only part of it. You can do that and you will see folks say "why is that talent wasting on that book-we need to get that book axed." Cyborg fans got to see that with Will Conrad and another artist. Non-readers said both of them were wasting time on Cyborg and need to be on higher level books.

It is no that Storm needs A list talent to do a book. If you have talent-you can do a book.
    Moon Girl nor Squirrel Girl had a list talent. A 47 and 50+ issue run is NOTHING to laugh at.

A Storm solo is not going to work. A Storm OGN will. Look at Raven at DC. Her OGN was the first and so far only DC Rebirth era book to be a top seller for Teens on Amazon. Before that Jeff Smith's 2010 Shazam was the ONLY DC book in the top 100 for teens.

It's time to bypass the comic book store. Too much drama. Especially with the topics everyone want that book to cover.

Otherwise it would be in Marvel's best interest to do that book and have IDW banner under it like Marvel Action books. That no one complains about.