Page 218 of 662 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 9921

Mjnari the name comes from Life Death II. When powerless Ororo was wondering around in Kenya, she got shot by the Fenris twins. She barely lived herself, but then she found a pregnant girl on the road, her bus having crashed in a sandstorm. Ororo helped her back to home village. Where they lived the soil was so poor only a certain number of people could be supported, so when Ororo helped deliver the girl's baby, and gave him CPR to breathe life into his stillborn body, the village elder Mjnari committed ritual suicide to make room. It's a gorgeous story if you haven't read it(Uncanny 198).

The TAS episode is based on that, but they make that baby grown up into a tween/teenager. In the comics timeline, that baby would still only be a child, not even pubescent. I wouldn't necessarily bring the TAS version to 616, even though that episode was pretty decent.

As for Spyke, yeah, he was whack. Storm having a random sister was whack. Storm being older than everyone else and having to be den mother was whack. Evolution overall was pretty whack. If they really wanted a black character in the main cast, they should have a) had Ororo as a teenager too, and b) used a non-time traveling Bishop and/or Synch or Sunspot or Bedlam in the Spyke position.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

Spyke on the other hand should've just been his own character unrelated to Storm. Him being her nephew didn't make sense to me: where did Storm's sister come from and where was she when Storm was in Africa? Their relationship was always felt weak and underdeveloped. I feel like he should have been introduced as his own character completely separate from Storm. The only non-white X-teen on the team and during his first appearance he gets arrested buy the police/sent to jail (ugh!) and then later on in the show he becomes the"ugly" mutant (ugh again!).

I don't hate Spyke but I don't like him being related to Storm. As a character created on the show first, it's a shame he never became as popular as X-23.
    I read somewhere that they don't want a teen Storm because it would have been overpowered, but it was such a lame excuse. TAS still respected her and embraced that she's always a powerhouse and should have adjusted with her in mind. The fact that they're too lazy and uncreative to do that is just frustrating. Spyke was basically her replacement to fill the token black person quota.

Are you all familiar with Clea? She is the estranged wife of Dr. Strange. She is half-Faltine. (The Faltine are extra-dimensional energy beings born from pure magic.) There has been rumors/wishful thinking that Storm may have some Faltine in her heritage. It would explain her white hair and mystical affinity. I never gave it much thought until we got goddess Storm. So much of Storm in goddess mode mirrors Clea. Read the description below of Clea from Marvel's site.

Clea is half-Faltine and half Dark Dimensional mortal, and can naturally fly and hover. Before coming to know Doctor Stephen Strange, Clea was only acquainted with the mystic forces in minor ways, but her potential increased with training. Her powers increase and decrease based on her peace with herself, her energy levels, her current condition, and her connection to her environment. Clea's mystic powers were greatest when she wore the Flames of Regency, the sign of the true ruler of the Dark Dimension which is reinforced by the denizens of the Dark Dimension believing in their ruler and weakens when that belief does so. Clea's powers have at times been shown to be greater in the Dark Dimension than they are on Earth.

I don't know how I feel about this. Thoughts?

I know of the theory, and I think it almost made it to print in the 70's, but the book was scrapped.

I would really like Ororo's maternal lineage's origins explored further. Whether that involves the Faltine or not is another matter. They are rather obscure. If Clea were to appear in the MCU and be well-received(and her Faltine origins kept intact), it may be a different matter, but in any case I'd rather Ororo's peoples' origins be their own, not dependent on another story.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    I read somewhere that they don't want a teen Storm because it would have been overpowered, but it was such a lame excuse. TAS still respected her and embraced that she's always a powerhouse and should have adjusted with her in mind. The fact that they're too lazy and uncreative to do that is just frustrating. Spyke was basically her replacement to fill the token black person quota.
    That made absolutely no sense. They could've portrayed Storm as a teenager coming into her powers. Like her accidentally causing monsoons or droughts in other parts of the world. Or learning to fine-tune her abilities. She would be powerful, but not as powerful as her adult self. Which makes me wonder, if Teen Storm would make things overpowered, then why have the adult version? So Spyke's whole existence was because the creators didn't want to deal with a teen Storm.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I agree with YF.
    I would much rather they develop her history/back-story from that original and individual matrilineal perspective. There's so much that can/should be done with it. Nor does it have to be as complex or as involved as some writers might want it to be (connecting her to Clea/Faltines without starting from a firm, solid familial base isn't sound storytelling)...but...it should be wholly original and wholly her own.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    That made absolutely no sense. They could've portrayed Storm as a teenager coming into her powers. Like her accidentally causing monsoons or droughts in other parts of the world. Or learning to fine-tune her abilities. She would be powerful, but not as powerful as her adult self. Which makes me wonder, if Teen Storm would make things overpowered, then why have the adult version? So Spyke's whole existence was because the creators didn't want to deal with a teen Storm.
    If so that is sad as Jean Grey was hella powerful.. Scarlet Witch was powerful and Rogue was powerful.. Storm should have been a teen.. I didn not mean Beast or Wolvie as adults.. They could have added Stevie Hunter as another adult.. Or Ameila Voght if they really need a mutant older female.. Also Dani and Karma should have been apart of the New Mutants when they came around.. We could have had a thieves guild episode with Teen Storm and Gambit...

Storm has already been so watered down as a character that connecting her to Clea and the Faltine would just be another stupid disaster. As has been said, the backstory is already there. She comes from a long line of witches and warriors since the dawn of time. There's already a wealth of material there that is exclusively hers that's begging to be told. We don't need a Faltine hand me down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Storm has already been so watered down as a character that connecting her to Clea and the Faltine would just be another stupid disaster. As has been said, the backstory is already there. She comes from a long line of witches and warriors since the dawn of time. There's already a wealth of material there that is exclusively hers that's begging to be told. We don't need a Faltine hand me down.
    Yeah, it's a bit confusing at times.

Storm needs a solid supporting cast. It would be cool if Mjnari aged up to a teenager (screw comic book time), discovered he was a mutant, and becomes Storm's protege or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    If so that is sad as Jean Grey was hella powerful.. Scarlet Witch was powerful and Rogue was powerful.. Storm should have been a teen.. I didn not mean Beast or Wolvie as adults.. They could have added Stevie Hunter as another adult.. Or Ameila Voght if they really need a mutant older female.. Also Dani and Karma should have been apart of the New Mutants when they came around.. We could have had a thieves guild episode with Teen Storm and Gambit...
    I agree. If they could make Scarlet Witch and Rogue (ugh) so powerful then I don't see why Storm shouldn't have been.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Storm needs a solid supporting cast. It would be cool if Mjnari aged up to a teenager (screw comic book time), discovered he was a mutant, and becomes Storm's protege or something.
    I agree. I would like to see X-men: TAS Mjnari have his 616 counterpart and him become a protege to Storm. I would have him and Nezhno become friends and have them be a nice blend of super-strength and super-speed.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    That was my point with Jean Grey because she was portrayed inconsistently across the entire series. Her power levels were fluctuating every episode. She could hold thousands of gallons of water and bend helicopters on a couple of episodes, to struggling on small objects the next. The writers were also struggling with her which made me believe this "rumor" is actually true.

Wanda can't be used as an argument as she was a villain. Rogue was a plot device and the one episode where she went all out was her being portrayed as the "villain of the episode" so that does not count. She was pretty useless in a lot of straightforward encounters. But at the very least, her character was handled pretty well. She saved a lot of encounters (vs. Juggernaut, vs. Apocalypse, vs. Jean, etc.) but a plot device nontheless.

But yes, teen Storm coming into her powers should have been a focus on her character. The writers either had a vendetta on her character or they're just lazy or uncreative.
    Last edited by sugarfree; 07-09-2019 at 02:47 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    That was my point with Jean Grey because she was portrayed inconsistently across the entire series. Her power levels were fluctuating every episode. She could hold thousands of gallons of water and bend helicopters on a couple of episodes, to struggling on small objects the next. The writers were also struggling with her which made me believe this "rumor" is actually true.

Wanda can't be used as an argument as she was a villain. Rogue was a plot device and the one episode where she went all out was her being portrayed as the "villain of the episode" so that does not count. She was pretty useless in a lot of straightforward encounters. But at the very least, her character was handled pretty well. She saved a lot of encounters (vs. Juggernaut, vs. Apocalypse, vs. Jean, etc.) but a plot device nontheless.

But yes, teen Storm coming into her powers should have been a focus on her character. The writers either had a vendetta on her character or they're just lazy or uncreative.
    I disagree about Jean.. She was powerful and shown as competent the entire run.. She was popular, an athlete, the A lister girl.. Her powers might have been in flux but they were in flux on the upside.. Having fine motor control issues is not the same as being weak. Teen Jean I guess is always superior to Adult Jean even in the cartoon. There was even an episode devoted to her growing power levels and then at the end they alluded to PHX force.
    Last edited by Paleo_Rage; 07-09-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

take this with a grain of salt. the sources usnt reliable but rumor has there are two actresses gunning for playing Storm in mcu:

https://mtonews.com/aja-naomi-king-t...-panther-movie
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!