Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
Forge is often times just a color-swapped Tony Stark; I just can't enjoy the concept of a Native American denying his mystical heritage in favor of technology, and actively working with the [American] military industrial complex. I'm sure Claremont thought he was being clever, but it just rings offensive to me. In Storm's story, he's really more of a plot device to spur her character development through her period of depowerment. Not even Claremont really developed them as a loving couple to any great extent, and later writers never did much with them either. Add on to that his retraction of his proposal and dipping out with Mystique after crushing her heart in his hand, and it just doesn't work for me.
Equating Indigeity with mysticism is offensive too, though. Not every Indigenous characters needs to be a shaman. The things Claremont had Forge grappling with are really interesting elements of Indigenous Futurism. Everything Claremont wrote needs updating for the 21st century and I'm not saying that Forge is perfect, but I do think he has a lot to offer.