Page 232 of 662 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 9921
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Since when does Storm not believe in violence?

She pulled Marrow's heart out of her chest with her bare hands lol
    writers depict her as if she is perpetually in the early 90s. Claremont first wrote her initially the same way but if course she developed beyond that killing when she saw it fit and necessary to.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Yeah, I didn't like his take on Storm. Claremont did not give her that grand arc of being a punk knife fighter and all that to just have her go back to her youthful naivete again. I like an Ororo who would want to see the best in people, but will not hesitate to cut a b*&^# when necessary.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    writers depict her as if she is perpetually in the early 90s. Claremont first wrote her initially the same way but if course she developed beyond that killing when she saw it fit and necessary to.
    Storm's pacifist attitude seems really inconsistent. She's a pacifist until she's not. As someone who has a world view attuned to the macro (global weather systems), I feel like she would have a sense of when violence is necessary.

Her mini series from the 90s was about this. She was disappointed in herself for making decisions that were only short-term fixes but created long-term problems. I think that's a cool dynamic to the character that could be played with.

Show her with that macro wisdom being a badass. Lots of story potential here: would Storm's decisions not make sense in the short term but eventually work in the long-term? Would that frustrate the team she is leading since it makes Storm opaque and unreadable?

Storm to 90% of the writers post-Claremont that join the X-franchise and start writing her

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Let's be real. Some white writers don't like the idea of a black female character going harder than a white male character. Storm was kicked back down to being a pacifist because the writers wanted to show ideological differences between characters--continuity be damn. This became apparent when Rightclops was a thing and writers played up Storm's pacifism as a contrast--ignoring the Outback era where she was in a somewhat similar position.

I'm not saying Storm should be all KILLKILLKILL but she has gotten rid of that naivety years ago and has taken a more pragmatic approach.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Let's be real. Some white writers don't like the idea of a black female character going harder than a white male character. Storm was kicked back down to being a pacifist because the writers wanted to show ideological differences between characters--continuity be damn. This became apparent when Rightclops was a thing and writers played up Storm's pacifism as a contrast--ignoring the Outback era where she was in a somewhat similar position.

I'm not saying Storm should be all KILLKILLKILL but she has gotten rid of that naivety years ago and has taken a more pragmatic approach.
    Agreed. I think Storm as an elemental would be of the mind just as water can nurture and bring forth life, it can also take it away. Its all about context. I would like to think Storm is a pragmatist whose view is always long term. I think this is natural fit because of her powers and how she views the world and has to always think about the implications of her abilities. Storm is temperance personified not a paper tiger.

Storm's pacifist attitude seems really inconsistent. She's a pacifist until she's not. As someone who has a world view attuned to the macro (global weather systems), I feel like she would have a sense of when violence is necessary.

Her mini series from the 90s was about this. She was disappointed in herself for making decisions that were only short-term fixes but created long-term problems. I think that's a cool dynamic to the character that could be played with.

Show her with that macro wisdom being a badass. Lots of story potential here: would Storm's decisions not make sense in the short term but eventually work in the long-term? Would that frustrate the team she is leading since it makes Storm opaque and unreadable?
    you hit a lot of good points and it's one of the reasons so many people here always find themselves quoting Claremont as he truly understood the point you made:

at no point after Claremont should ororo, and even characters like colossus, have issue with killing but with Scott lobdell he did a somewhat soft reboot of the franchise and it sent Ororo back to those initial perspectives regarding using lethal force.

Lobdell also revealed that he re-wrote Uncanny X-Men #325 from 1995 “six times completely from scratch because I couldn’t bring myself to follow through on the (editorial) edict, which was to have Storm kill Marrow. It was only (on) the sixth time that I came up with the version that I was morally okay with, and even to this day I feel badly having written the story.”

http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot...tions.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Storm to 90% of the writers post-Claremont that join the X-franchise and start writing her

lolololol indeed
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post

you are speaking nothing but truth. you bring up a very valid point about white writers. it's quite funny a white man was the one who made Ororo into the character we love and viscerally fight to defend yet it is also white writers who have been one of her biggest downfall. nevertheless, ororo should never be written as a pacifist and should have the wherewithal to understand when killing is appropriate.

Storm should be written as if she is attuned to the balance between life and death in the world. I feel like she's had a lot of lessons regarding this subject: Lifedeath 2, her solo mini, that Claremont page above, etc.

Storm's attitude in that page is the exact same as Cyclops' when making X-force (and I can't help but thinking that Wolverine is written as being "right" in that excerpt).

Claremont's Ororo is always threading that needle. In Inferno she and Scott debate the morality of destroying N'astirh. This shows how Ororo had already transcended much later Rightclops 'ends justify the means' angle decades earlier(even if we accept the Inferno spell might have been influencing her a bit in this page).

In X-Treme X-Men we saw a woman who would make political deals with the UN Security Council, get sanctioned, infiltrate a mutant trafficking scheme in the elite underworld, doing Goddess knows what to fulfill her mission, and wonder herself if she was going too far. It was an exciting, liminal phase, as Claremont had Sage put it.

This continued over into Claremont's Uncanny run, when Ororo wanted to rip that bigot's heart out when she was Kurt had been depowered by Viper's nannites.

Attachment 84777

Many writers seem to completely forget all of this when writing Ororo. She's not just a peaceful ingenue anymore like she was in the 70's. That part is still there, but this rose has thrones too. She's complex like that.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Oh yikes didn't think me posting that page would spark this big of a discussion. Tbh I was just mostly focusing on chemistry between her and Mag and her denying her godhood lol

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I like an Ororo who would want to see the best in people, but will not hesitate to cut a b*&^# when necessary.
    U made me guffaw with that one...lol

I agree with you; Ro would love to reason, talk and negotiate but when folks get crazy... you might find yo a@! snatched by a tornada!
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0INiaFC...=1mx533qtbjbqp

Fred Ian stays making beautiful Storm portraits!

Given her history and looking at what she just did. Im pretty sure she being sarcastic.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I used to think Storm gets a lot of slack gevause age was the leader during the X-Men’s most tumultuous and disenfranchised years. Then I recall Claremont managed to get her to negotiate and then lead the formation of the XSE just prior to Whedon’s Astonishing “public superhero” team.

Has Storm ever been the overt leader of an public mutant superhero team?