Page 133 of 662 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 9921
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    Well in my case its both. As a dark skinned black man i feel a certain type of way when they keep casting her as a biracial light skinned woman. The characterization makes it worse and Shipp honestly isnt helping her case.
    Honestly, that's a problem I only realized a few time ago, maybe because I'm white (and by the way ignorant of those issues and thank you for helping me learn about it!), but I understand the need for better representation. But even at times, Storm has had a different skin tone, she was lighter under Madureira than on Cockrum and Byrne for exemple. Maybe you would have less complaints about skin tone if the character was at least respected in her personality?
    Maybe Halle Berry, for exemple would have been a better Storm if given something to play?
    Last edited by mogwen; 04-30-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Does anyone remember that new Mutant girl with the afro and the rainbow powers??
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    and that cringeworthy line is how a lot of his writings of storm read. I agree wholeheartedly that I am so happy that hudlin placed them together and he was aware of their history enough to do so; however, his writings leaves a lot to be desired. I dont think he would necessarily be a great xmen writer either. Maybe a Luke cage solo series.

lolol. I don't hate either but bless her heart. she acting like what she is doing is bringing storm as we know her to the silver screen. storm was never the lackey for others as she has been portrayed in the foxmen. I'm sure she will have some moments but I just want to tell her "sweetie your time is up. sashay away!!!"

Yes maam and this is primarily my issue with her. I like her passion for the role and the character. However, willfully ignoring the problem of colorism in Hollywood, which reflects the ideals of many in America, does not help her case in my eyes or make me want to support her in any way.
    LOL. I agree that nothing she can do can bring the Storm we know and love to the big screen. The writers and powers that be at the old Fox and proven and time and time again they do not get the character and have no interest in trying to do justice be her.

The colorism issue is a very tough and complex problem. As a bi-racial person, she's most likely been told or felt she's not white enough in some situations and now many fans are telling her she's not black enough to play Storm. I don't fault her for going for the role or getting it. I fault Fox for the their casting. They should have put a casting call more true to the character. Instead, they go for the light skinned black actresses because they make them feel more comfortable.

My husband is bi-racial, (Black & Latino), and I've seen his struggles as he tries to be true to both of his heritages only to feel like, or to be flat out told he's not "black enough" or "a true Mexican", whatever that means. It's a bit ironic because everyone is sure to hit him with the negative stereotypes of both races, but sometimes when he tries to turn to either race for acceptance, he faces rejection. Due to this, I am sensitive to the messaging. As we as a people push for more representation for our darker toned brothers and sisters, we don't want disparage our lighter complexion kin. We have no control over the skin tone we are born with. All shades are black are beautiful. We know this and the struggle is getting others to get it as well.

I do agree that some of her responses on social media were tone deaf. I admit I didn't follow the issue with her that closely. I would have like to see something from her acknowledging the need for more representation of African American actors and actresses across the spectrum of skin tones and pledging to represent all shades of African Americans by playing the role to the best of her abilities.
    Last edited by Stormrocks; 05-01-2019 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    Thank goodness. I thought it was just me who really disliked this costume. I liked the drawing I saw of it, but this on a real person ain't working for me.
    LMAO you not alone. I like the other drawing better.

Incredible Member

LOL. I agree that nothing she can do can bring the Storm we know and love to the big screen. The writers and powers that be at the old Fox and proven and time and time again they do not get the character and have no interest in trying to do justice be her.

The colorism issue is a very tough and complex problem. As a bi-racial person, she's most likely been told or felt she's not white enough in some situations and now many fans are telling her she's not black enough to play Storm. I don't fault her for going for the role or getting it. I fault Fox for the their casting. They should have put a casting call more true to the character. Instead, they go for the light skinned black actresses because they make them feel more comfortable.

My husband is bi-racial, (Black & Latino), and I've seen his struggles as he tries to be true to both of his heritages only to feel like, or to be flat out told he's not "black enough" or "a true Mexican", whatever that means. It's a bit ironic because everyone is sure to hit him with the negative stereotypes of both races, but sometimes when he tries to turn to either race for acceptance, he faces rejection. Due to this, I am sensitive to the messaging. As we as a people push for more representation for our darker toned brothers and sisters, we don't want disparage our lighter complexion kin. We have no control over the skin tone we are born with. All shades are black are beautiful. We know this and the struggle is getting others to get it as well.

I do agree that some of her responses on social media were tone deaf. I admit I didn't follow the issue with her that closely. I would have like to see something from her acknowledging the need for more representation of African American actors and actresses across the spectrum of skin tones and pledging to represent all shades of African Americans by playing the role to the best of her abilities.
    That's really beautifully said.
    As I said, as a white man i have no first-hand experience of this skin tone problem and the troubles your husband must face, torn between 2 cultures. But as a gay man, I understand the need for better representation. Black Panther for me was a masterwork on this matter. I hope and in fact I'm sure Ororo will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Honestly, that's a problem I only realized a few time ago, maybe because I'm white (and by the way ignorant of those issues and thank you for helping me learn about it!), but I understand the need for better representation. But even at times, Storm has had a different skin tone, she was lighter under Madureira than on Cockrum and Byrne for exemple. Maybe you would have less complaints about skin tone if the character was at least respected in her personality?
    Maybe Halle Berry, for exemple would have been a better Storm if given something to play?
    That's my thing, even though her skin tone differed depending on the artist she was still a black woman with two black parents. The characterization is like rubbing salt in the wound .. I'm still crying in the club
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Bc of this alternate reality bullsh-t, it feels as if I havent read any Storm all year. I miss her

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Bc of this alternate reality bullsh-t, it feels as if I havent read any Storm all year. I miss her
    Honestly. Truly.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by stormstan View Post
    I see this all the time and I think it’s hideous
    It really is. It's overdesigned and the doesn't have a very good silhouette. Why is she wearing sandals? SMH...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Someone posted this once on Reddit, I liked this idea of a MCU costume for Storm:
    Attachment 81795
    I don't like this.

Looks like Storm is Drooling Milk............

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

1. I completely agree with your first point. I will.never forget the instruction professor x gave Logan in DofP. He told Logan to find Jean, Scott, and Storm. I remember thinking this character is nothing to them but how she is identified as an xman and beyond that how she connects to those characters who receive better treatment. Its laughable that she thinks movements or gestures with having a few more lines equates to capturing Ororo. Hardly lol.

2. I agree with what you said. I couldnt imagine what one must endure being biracial; however, it may sound harsh but the aspect of Ororo's blackness is something very crucial in a medium that has historically whitewashed aspects of blackness. Alex stated, "You’re not going to tell me that my skin color doesn’t match a Crayola from 1970." Statements like this ignore the fact that Hollywood going as far bac to Liz Taylor playing Cleopatra and as recent as today where white actors/actresses were cast to play Gods of Egypt. Ignoring this history evades even how whitewashed comics have been and more granular the xmen are. Therefore, when you have the first African American character who was the first to lead a popular team it's important to not dilute this in any way, especially when some in Hollywood would like to perpetuate the idea that whiteness is the ideal. Shipp ignoring all of this is more critical, to me, than her narcissism which makes her believe this is solely about her not being black enough. Yes that is the reason but it goes deeper than the color of a crayola from 1970.

3. As I mentioned it must be really difficult for people of biracial backgrounds to deal with trying to fit in one part of society but not truly fitting anywhere. I would hope he could embrace all of who he is and be accepted for that. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself with us (^_^). To your point about not disparaging complexions, whether dark or light, I completely agree with you. In an ideal world that would be something I hope we all would want but based upon the events of history in the US and even around the world unfortunately that is something that has yet to be achieved. We see it in Hollywood, music videos, and cultures around the world. You have studies shown that state black women are the least desired race, or casting calls for black actresses on popular films where the D-rated girls casted fall into the "medium to dark toned" black girls. Women of fairer color is rated above this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...rticle/351205/

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5597010

Even in Asian culture and African culture too bleaching creams are marketed to make one lighter or more desirable because who would want to be dark, right? There was a controversial chinese ad where a black man was placed in a washer and came out lighter and thus the ideal (I hope this vid doesnt break any site rules but please delete if it does):

So as unfortunate as I am to hear about your husband, society has made it to where the types who look like Alex Shipp would get the role over Kiki Layne. All shades of black are beautiful but why is it that Hollywood and the world seem to suggest otherwise?

4. And I completely agree with your last post. The part I think why many have given her a hard time because I think people think it's important to see Ororo, who was originally pinned as a dark skinned character, be shown as such. How empowering that would be for black girls an women to see in a world that wishes to communicate the opposite.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

You are not alone my friend. This AOX mess needs to just come to a close already.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I miss 616 ororo too. thank god we getting little fixes here and there on the bp side. I heard shuri is ending after issue 10, well that nnedi is leaving. not sure if it's true or not.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    1. I completely agree with your first point. I will.never forget the instruction professor x gave Logan in DofP. He told Logan to find Jean, Scott, and Storm. I remember thinking this character is nothing to them but how she is identified as an xman and beyond that how she connects to those characters who receive better treatment. Its laughable that she thinks movements or gestures with having a few more lines equates to capturing Ororo. Hardly lol.

2. I agree with what you said. I couldnt imagine what one must endure being biracial; however, it may sound harsh but the aspect of Ororo's blackness is something very crucial in a medium that has historically whitewashed aspects of blackness. Alex stated, "You’re not going to tell me that my skin color doesn’t match a Crayola from 1970." Statements like this ignore the fact that Hollywood going as far bac to Liz Taylor playing Cleopatra and as recent as today where white actors/actresses were cast to play Gods of Egypt. Ignoring this history evades even how whitewashed comics have been and more granular the xmen are. Therefore, when you have the first African American character who was the first to lead a popular team it's important to not dilute this in any way, especially when some in Hollywood would like to perpetuate the idea that whiteness is the ideal. Shipp ignoring all of this is more critical, to me, than her narcissism which makes her believe this is solely about her not being black enough. Yes that is the reason but it goes deeper than the color of a crayola from 1970.

3. As I mentioned it must be really difficult for people of biracial backgrounds to deal with trying to fit in one part of society but not truly fitting anywhere. I would hope he could embrace all of who he is and be accepted for that. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself with us (^_^). To your point about not disparaging complexions, whether dark or light, I completely agree with you. In an ideal world that would be something I hope we all would want but based upon the events of history in the US and even around the world unfortunately that is something that has yet to be achieved. We see it in Hollywood, music videos, and cultures around the world. You have studies shown that state black women are the least desired race, or casting calls for black actresses on popular films where the D-rated girls casted fall into the "medium to dark toned" black girls. Women of fairer color is rated above this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...rticle/351205/

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5597010

Even in Asian culture and African culture too bleaching creams are marketed to make one lighter or more desirable because who would want to be dark, right? There was a controversial chinese ad where a black man was placed in a washer and came out lighter and thus the ideal (I hope this vid doesnt break any site rules but please delete if it does):

So as unfortunate as I am to hear about your husband, society has made it to where the types who look like Alex Shipp would get the role over Kiki Layne. All shades of black are beautiful but why is it that Hollywood and the world seem to suggest otherwise?

4. And I completely agree with your last post. The part I think why many have given her a hard time because I think people think it's important to see Ororo, who was originally pinned as a dark skinned character, be shown as such. How empowering that would be for black girls an women to see in a world that wishes to communicate the opposite.
    So my reaction reading your post and all the wonderful, intelligent things you said was, "Old girl said what?!?" in reference to the embolden section. I knew some of her replies were tone deaf, but good grief! I'd agree that her attitude and seemingly willful ignorance is part of the reason she is getting so much hate. She needs to take several seats. Bye Felicia!

I agree with your points about Storm's historical significance as black cultural figure; that should not be undervalued. That's why I put so much blame of Fox for their miscasting the character. They didn't understand the gem they had and how if cast appropriately and written true to character, Storm could have been a movement , (not to mention a cash cow for the company).

Look at how the black culture responded to Black Panther. A large part of that was casting Chadwick as T'Challa. He had the acting chops to pull it off and he also looked the part. Disney gets that this is important. I don't think there would have been the same response of say, Michael Ealy was cast as the Black Panther. Michael is GORGEOUS, a great actor and very charismatic. However, he doesn't look the part of T'Challa. Disney learned for their misstep in casting Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One in Dr. Strange. They won't make the same mistake twice.

Black culture is HUNGRY for true representation. I don't know if any one has ever ready Kevin Feige's statement about the Black Panther's success, but it proves to me he gets this. That's part of the reason I am so excited that they have control of the X-Men now. We should FINALLY get the Storm for which we've been yearning.

PS - I am glad you appreciated my sharing my husband's challenges. He really questioned me for telling "our business" with strangers on the internet. I may have to pull something special out the lingerie drawer tonight to make up for this one! (Don't tell him I shared this, too! lol)

Incredible Member

So my reaction reading your post and all the wonderful, intelligent things you said was, "Old girl said what?!?" in reference to the embolden section. I knew some of her replies were tone deaf, but good grief! I'd agree that her attitude and seemingly willful ignorance is part of the reason she is getting so much hate. She needs to take several seats. Bye Felicia!

I agree with your points about Storm's historical significance as black cultural figure; that should not be undervalued. That's why I put so much blame of Fox for their miscasting the character. They didn't understand the gem they had and how if cast appropriately and written true to character, Storm could have been a movement , (not to mention a cash cow for the company).

Look at how the black culture responded to Black Panther. A large part of that was casting Chadwick as T'Challa. He had the acting chops to pull it off and he also looked the part. Disney gets that this is important. I don't think there would have been the same response of say, Michael Ealy was cast as the Black Panther. Michael is GORGEOUS, a great actor and very charismatic. However, he doesn't look the part of T'Challa. Disney learned for their misstep in casting Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One in Dr. Strange. They won't make the same mistake twice.

Black culture is HUNGRY for true representation. I don't know if any one has ever ready Kevin Feige's statement about the Black Panther's success, but it proves to me he gets this. That's part of the reason I am so excited that they have control of the X-Men now. We should FINALLY get the Storm for which we've been yearning.

PS - I am glad you appreciated my sharing my husband's challenges. He really questioned me for telling "our business" with strangers on the internet. I may have to pull something special out the lingerie drawer tonight to make up for this one! (Don't tell him I shared this, too! lol)
    You're right, Marvel/Disney makes great castings, with actors that look the part and that's why I'm sure the day they will cast Storm, everybody will be pleased! They have made few mistakes until now, I don't see them begin with Storm. For the Ancient One, it was an accident, for me. They tried something different but it didn't work.