Page 267 of 662 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277317367 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 9921

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Based on the most recent stories, Thor's weather manipulating is actually the result of his hammer containing a primeval storm deity, so they are the ones actually doing the weather manipulating. I'm not sure how that squares with the fact that Thor is the son of Gaea, the earth mother, so he should have elemental powers through her too.

I've not followed Thor closely over the years, but it's always been a case of him being a sledgehammer, and Storm being a surgeon's scalpel, even before this new Omega business. It's definitely possible that Thor has some fine-tuned feats over the years, but to my knowledge Storm has always been more specific in her abilities. They even played at this when Thor and Storm were on a date in that alternate universe Avengers title.

Although Thor uses Mjolnir quite a bit and it does contain the mother storm, he is still able to control/create weather without it. In God Bomb and God Butcher he created lightning and fire rain when he was younger and not worthy of Mjolnir yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    Although Thor uses Mjolnir quite a bit and it does contain the mother storm, he is still able to control/create weather without it. In God Bomb and God Butcher he created lightning and fire rain when he was younger and not worthy of Mjolnir yet.
    Creating Lightning and Fire Rain is not the same as controlling or manipulating the Weather.

If he can't make a Blizzard, or a Monsoon, or a Hurricane or Decrease and Increase the Temperature WITHOUT the Hammer. Then Thor does not control the weather.

Let’s assume Storm is assembling her own Justice League of mutants. Like premier “hero” types who can be full time superheroes. Who does she pick?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Let’s assume Storm is assembling her own Justice League of mutants. Like premier “hero” types who can be full time superheroes. Who does she pick?
    Storm will pick people she absolutely Trust and they are:
    Jean
    T'Challa
    Kitty
    Logan
    Gambit
    Rogue
    Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Creating Lightning and Fire Rain is not the same as controlling or manipulating the Weather.

If he can't make a Blizzard, or a Monsoon, or a Hurricane or Decrease and Increase the Temperature WITHOUT the Hammer. Then Thor does not control the weather.
    So the answer to Kyss' question would seem that Storm would be the Omega in weather "manipulating" if he can create but not manipulate weather without Mjolnir.

Good question. Can Thor create weather golems in his own image, for example?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Storm will pick people she absolutely Trust and they are:
    Jean
    T'Challa
    Kitty
    Logan
    Gambit
    Rogue
    Iceman
    Pretty solid list. Although T'Challa isn't a mutant like CRaymond requested, there's no way Ororo is not putting him on the team.

I hate Kitty as a character, but I can't argue with the relationship she and Ororo have.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yup all of this is spot on. I'm not seeing anything frankly that makes me want to grab this book. im tired of hoping. l would like to see marvel.take some action.
    Exactly. Not to take away from the excitement for other fans but it's not my job as the reader to find something good about a writer's work/vision. Either the story resonates, like HoX #1 did or they don't (i.e. this mediocre preview).

I'm not sure if this was asked here but I saw it somewhere here but what do you think being an omega level weather manipulator will allow ororo to do that we have yet to see? does this reveal put her on a level above thor when it comes to weather manipulation?
    I'd love to see her create unnatural phenomena to earth (break the damn fujita and beaufort scales), create geomagnetic storms, elemental constructs (i.e. defensive shields, hail spikes), manipulate atmospheric chemicals into specific offensive attacks (like mix the chemicals in the atmosphere to hit a target with the super heated acid of Venus), concentrate the energies of a storm into a single hyper blast, etc. There is a LOT she can do with her powers, especially if the boundaries can be pushed.

In comparison to Thor we'll have to see. Power wise I think he is just in a higher league and doesn't have to hold back the way she does (at least not while on earth due to the way her powers work) but I think she should get tested against the higher tier characters in the MU. Skill wise - I think she is more skillful and crafty in how she uses her powers in comparison to him anyway so I am curious where they would go with this.

I can't think of too many mutant's she'd see as heroes.

Jean
    Trinary
    Wolverine
    Rogue
    Nightcrawler
    Rachel Grey
    Iceman
    Colossus
    Polaris
    Beast

Storm's Justice League should fight climate change. I'm not kidding. Storm should sense that humans have put things out of whack and work to avoid the inevitable climate apartheid followed by the impending climate apocalypse. I think if we told stories where this is a serious threat more people might start taking serious action.

Storm leading:
    Wolverine
    Iceman
    Polaris
    Sunfire
    Trinary
    Angel
    Dani Moonstar

Their enemies could be industry titans with tech polluting the earth, supernatural entities thriving on chaos and disorder, and rich humans looking to colonize Mars for their rich human friends.
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 07-30-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I can't think of too many mutant's she'd see as heroes.
    Exactly!

I've been really mulling over a lot of Storm-related topics, and while I STILL think Ororo needs to form her own specific take on Xavier's Dream (XSE?)... it's terribly interesting to see her tenure as leader called into question. WHAT IF Storm was the one who decided to put X-Men back into yellow spandex for the adoring public, and build a team to deal with global crises, or circle the wagons to address a bucket list of villains? Who is her brain trust, who is her council, who are her big guns?

I'm not a fan of the pagesuck that Kitty and Jean bring to the X-Men. They tend to have so much gravity they make everyone peripheral. But still both of those women would assuredly be on Storm's list. I'd suggest Nightcrawler too, and obviously Wolverine. She'd want some brains, so Sage and Beast. Beast is a great pick since he was a visible Avenger. Curious about others' thoughts.

Forge, for government contacts and creation? Emma, for contrarian opinions? Angel, for cashflow? Captain Betsy, for symbolism and goodwill?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 07-30-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Exactly!

I've been really mulling over a lot of Storm-related topics, and while I STILL think Ororo needs to form her own specific take on Xavier's Dream (XSE?)... it's terribly interesting to see her tenure as leader called into question. WHAT IF Storm was the one who decided to put X-Men back into yellow spandex for the adoring public, and build a team to deal with global crises, or circle the wagons to address a bucket list of villains? Who is her brain trust, who is her council, who are her big guns?

I'm not a fan of the pagesuck that Kitty and Jean bring to the X-Men. They tend to have so much gravity they make everyone peripheral. But still both of those women would assuredly be on Storm's list. I'd suggest Nightcrawler too, and obviously Wolverine. She'd want some brains, so Sage and Beast. Beast is a great pick since he was a visible Avenger. Curious about others' thoughts.

Forge, for government contacts and creation? Emma, for contrarian opinions? Angel, for cashflow?
    For me this is why I initially stopped reading X-Men all together after I had been reading off and on. I feel ALL the X-Men need their own take on the dream and work from there which could have brought them out of the boring a** hole they were in for years. All of the X-Men have unique backgrounds, relationships and experiences, yet they can only see or work towards one man's dream and not their own? We got bits and pieces but it was always brought back around to Xavier's dream. The X-Men don't have to be tucked in their own little corner anymore so seeing some of them in the greater MU working on their idea of how mutant relations should be would interest me a lot.

Ok that's my rant for the evening. ;-)

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I don't think this perspective limits her elemental control at all. The forces under her purview are already vast and grossly under explored (let alone the fact that they also adjust to her environment). These are the building blocks for how she manifests weather effects, which shouldn't limit how she can apply them. That really falls under the writer's research and interest in being creative. Pak recognized her ability to manipulate the planet's magnetic fields, which resulted in her redirecting lava up from under the earth. Or Wood's recognition (albeit too late) of her control over temperature allowed for a heatwave explosion. Or Larry Hama having Storm wipe a group or mooks out with a tidal wave.

Also, we don't know what energies comprise the galactic core to state its not weather related. Controlling solar winds, free floating hydrogen atoms, EM energy and sensing magnetic fields of stars (ultimately because she can manipulate them) while in space supports that the suns and stars she drew upon in the core fall under atmospheric forces regularly under her control. The feat of her creating clothing out of thin air (which we've also seen done by a few others, like Crystal) isn't enough to show that her powers go beyond the forces of the atmosphere.

Nice. Those must be agent of...Orcis?
    I didnt mean to imply had this perspective but I do definitely think writers not as informed as you would characterize it in this fashion:

this perception that her powers and how they are used have to directly tie to weather control result in the above misconception. I am under the belief if she can see it via her energy sight she should be able to manipulate:

electrons, radiation the four forces of nature are all things that should be at her control but when the understanding is not from the perspective of what she actually controls (energy and forces) and its focused on the output of what she controls (weather phenomenon) I think we lose sight of what Claremont originally described her as being able to do.

So the Trion dimension obviously had unique physics, but consider how it effected the others' powers. Gambit still charged cards, but they just flew erratically. Nightcrawler still teleported, but his portal where he left would stay open a bit and tentacle monsters could come through the breech. Xavier was still a telepath, but instead of simply casting his mind temporarily, he would possess the body of the mind he was targeting. Slight variations on their base powers. In Storm's case, she did something like this:

[IMG]https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5522b3c2de2f7f5e0e16c0ea89817bd7[MG]

That looks a lot like reality warping to me.

Of course later the Trion try to trap her in an illusion so she could not realize the extent of her ability and challenge them. Not only does she challenge them, she overpowers them completely!

[IMG]https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_super/0/4762/1104772-trion2dz3.jpg[/G]

[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/a1ab618c361fb1d8c6d352aa205c0402/tumblr_nqqcwccpgv1sde1x1o5_1280.jpg[/I]

And reforms the entire dimensional membrane, setting everything right again. Storm is often titled 'the mistress of the elements'. What are the elements but the building blocks of reality? If Storm can rearrange electrons to her whim, what can't see rearrange?
    I would have to agree with all of this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Doesn’t Storm come from a long line of druids? Why isn’t she doing some Dungeons and Dragons type ****? Give her a magical relic like Thor’s hammer. Maybe an ancient staff that belonged to her ancestors which grants her chlorokinesis and allows her to commune with animals and spirits.

I mean, I’m not saying she should be sacrificing flatscans to the blood gods(I totally am), but maybe a spell or two mixed in with her weather manipulation.

hmm shes already had stormcaster no thank you. no more hammertime. let her explore her magical connection via the culture of afroca/Kenya. there is so much there that has not even been explored.

Good question. Can Thor create weather golems in his own image, for example?
    I do not think he can
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

I didnt mean to imply had this perspective but I do definitely think writers not as informed as you would characterize it in this fashion:

this perception that her powers and how they are used have to directly tie to weather control result in the above misconception. I am under the belief if she can see it via her energy sight she should be able to manipulate:

electrons, radiation the four forces of nature are all things that should be at her control but when the understanding is not from the perspective of what she actually controls (energy and forces) and its focused on the output of what she controls (weather phenomenon) I think we lose sight of what Claremont originally described her as being able to do.

I would have to agree with all of this.

I still dont understand how the guy had storm powerless in hell but both Iceman and Firestar could use their powers.. If iceman has moisture.. then storm can manpulate that.. Firestar converts em radiation into microwaves so there was energy for her to play with and if they were breathing.. she had oxygen , wind, etc to work with