Page 323 of 662 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333373423 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 9921
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Why does it have to be a black female on Storms level? What was wrong with Sam(Falcon) and Misty Knight?
    Nothing was wrong with Sam and Misty Knight. Popularity has to be taken into account. It just has to be. In a universe where Storm never makes mention of her intersectionality, where does her love for black mutantdom come into play? Where do black male mutants turn to for love and acceptance? If the one woman that carries the idea of “Africa” on her back in the X-men can’t be bothered to actually express love for Africans in a variety of ways, what’s the purpose? No one said Storm has to be with a black man. It sends a different message when she’s seen in love with a black man. Same goes for Serena Williams, the only difference being that Serena is a real woman. She capable of writing her own story.

As for Storm, she been written by white males for the majority of her superhero career. Serena has not. Serena has dated and shown interest in a plethora of men across the spectrum. Storm has not. Just like Storm has been used for decades in her “privileged” state as th token mouthpiece for a white mutant supremacist agenda, she also been used to fetishize the idea of black women while romanticizing interracial relationships with white males. That’s glaring because the over abundance of white males get love interests, while the black males just get a death sentence or limbo. Storm at the height of whatever pinnacle she maintains AND expressing love for black males in general is a message that does not get heavy rotation in the X-men.

I just find in funny that most of these arguments asking why Storm needs to be with a black man really boils down to people questioning why she needs to be seen loving other black people. Make no mistake, that’s what’s happening. The team is sorely lacking black testosterone. Storm’s black femininity doesn’t even get the full recognition that it should. It sends a different message for Storm to enjoy being/living around people that look like her. She does not do that in the X-men. Most of the fries for something new feels like veiled attempts to put her back on a pedestal for white admiration. Asking why Storm needs to be shown as loving of her culture and other black people is like asking why she would have time with her black girlfriends. Lol like, seriously? Who would’ve better understood Storm’s line about intersectionality Invisible Woman, Captain Marvel, Jean Grey, Emma Frost? Maybe Psylocke? You catch my drift?

I really have to question some of the motives for NOT acknowledging that Storm has been left to occupy a space where her only means of reproducing is that of a white male. People that don’t understand couldn’t possibly understand that she’s being cultivated in a space that is designed to breed the black mutants out of existence. Lol interracial relationships are not the wave that he media and the X-men like to portray to so many blind people. The overwhelming majority of black women are married to black men, and vice versa. Lol why does Storm need to be with a black man? The real question is why has it been so important to keep her sheltered from black men? Why are the X-men in general so sheltered and unaccustomed to hosting black men?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I understand fully why you brought up the comparison. And I agree with you. I was making a point to that poster's inherent message that one is apparently 'better' than the other because one is royalty/more popular than the other.

But yes, this topic has outlived its purpose.
    Ok, Good. Becuase I wanted to clarify that.

But thank you.

I'm actually excited Ororo will be featured in X-Men 1. I wonder if we will get a heart-to-heart between her and Scott. Then again, Hickman might use this book as a more action oriented story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Was coming to post the tweet I saw confirming issue #1 of X-men being mostly comprised of action from Cyclops, Magneto, Storm, and Polaris but I see y’all already beat me to it! That’s exciting seeing as how it’ll be #1 of the new flagship book. We have no assurances on how she’ll be shown so it’s best to keep our judgements secured until we see for sure.

I hate to say it but upon initial impression for me, something felt... off about Ororo’s appearance in BP #15 today and T’challa’s potrayal in general. For all his talk of a “past life” his convo with Nakia ran too thick with an overtone of forbidden love and “poor Nakia” for me. Almost as if you’re supposed to hope that as a soldier, she too might get her happy “ending” which for her would be T’challa. T’challa ending his statement about his thoughts about spending his life with her in peace followed by “I....” only to be cut off by her was not the firm, resounding rebuff of a man assured in his love for someone else. It screamed of a man lost between two worlds, two responsibilities, and two concerns of his heart. Wasn’t thrilled, but we’ll see how that scene pays off/if it does at all.

Then moving on to Storm’s appearance. Don’t get me wrong at all, there nothing at ALL wrong sexual intimacy when you are first around somebody you love and have been denied access to for a long time. That wasn’t the part that irked me. I just wish the flow between them felt like it had more payoff. It seemed so stunted to have them not even show his initial reaction to seeing her again. Not having them at least look upon each other first, showing in their eyes and between them all that there is too much too say. Some recognition and acknowledgement of their bond and how it had been tested and now how it feels to be together again after so long, could’ve been done with a look, and it wasn’t. To have no visual of T’challa’s first emotional response to seeing Ororo after so long and cutting straight from Ororo’s face upon greeting him, to her passed out in bed next to him in post-coital slumber felt cheap... and not in a good way. Especially when Nakia got “I...” after a full page showing his emotional confusion/frustration in regards to his relationship with her due to now having regained his memories. Nakia’s departure was shown to have more of an emotional response from T’challa then Ororo got. Ororo got “hello” followed by no acknowledgement of him seeing her for the first time in 5 years, followed by post-coital snoozing while T’challa seems distracted and then stoic for the rest of the book. It wasn’t bad. I was just expecting a whole lot more for a first connection after 5 years apart(for him). No man should ever have a “subtle” reaction to Ororo’s sexual advances. Much less reaction “not shown”. Coates is going to have to do better for me going forward with them, but I have hope’s for this improving as early as the next issue.

Lastly neither Coates nor Aaron “used Storm as a sex object”. If she is being written within the agency of her own mind then it is offensive to even say that. People often refer to women as “being used for sex” when they don’t approve of their sexual behaviors/partners. Which takes away from the fact that Ororo is a grown ass woman who chose to act on her own sexual impulses at times when she saw fit to. Period on that. You guys, StormPhoenix and Kyss just really don’t like her respective partners and how it went down in each scenario. Which is fine lol but we shouldn’t chalk it up to Ororo being comparative to a sex toy. Storm never wins in that argument and it reeks of misogynistic ideals.
    @the bold. Yeah, that scene between T'Challa and Nakia did not seem final to me, at all. There's something more, but we won't truly know until next issue or later--assuming Nakia doesn't get killed off. Also, I think Coates is emphasizing there being a shift within T'Challa. He's experiences in space has made him a different person, and we might see that going forward. Or maybe not.

Also, the sex didn't bother me. They are two grown people who smashed, so who gives a flying flip. But I do feel there is something missing--or should I say--off about their whole reunion--T'Challa came across as somewhat distant and reserve...maybe I needed to reread again. But you're right, T'Challa is being pulled between two worlds.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

"I really have to question some of the motives for NOT acknowledging that Storm has been left to occupy a space where her only means of reproducing is that of a white male. People that don’t understand couldn’t possibly understand that she’s being cultivated in a space that is designed to breed the black mutants out of existence. Lol interracial relationships are not the wave that he media and the X-men like to portray to so many blind people. The overwhelming majority of black women are married to black men, and vice versa. Lol why does Storm need to be with a black man? The real question is why has it been so important to keep her sheltered from black men? Why are the X-men in general so sheltered and unaccustomed to hosting black men?"

Literally and figuratively speaking...WTF? Dude you are on some whole other tangent...come back to centre.
    Who said anything remotely close to that ^?
    I know I neither said nor even hinted at anything of the sort.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Nothing was wrong with Sam and Misty Knight. Popularity has to be taken into account. It just has to be. In a universe where Storm never makes mention of her intersectionality, where does her love for black mutantdom come into play? Where do black male mutants turn to for love and acceptance? If the one woman that carries the idea of “Africa” on her back in the X-men can’t be bothered to actually express love for Africans in a variety of ways, what’s the purpose? No one said Storm has to be with a black man. It sends a different message when she’s seen in love with a black man. Same goes for Serena Williams, the only difference being that Serena is a real woman. She capable of writing her own story.

As for Storm, she been written by white males for the majority of her superhero career. Serena has not. Serena has dated and shown interest in a plethora of men across the spectrum. Storm has not. Just like Storm has been used for decades in her “privileged” state as th token mouthpiece for a white mutant supremacist agenda, she also been used to fetishize the idea of black women while romanticizing interracial relationships with white males. That’s glaring because the over abundance of white males get love interests, while the black males just get a death sentence or limbo. Storm at the height of whatever pinnacle she maintains AND expressing love for black males in general is a message that does not get heavy rotation in the X-men.

I just find in funny that most of these arguments asking why Storm needs to be with a black man really boils down to people questioning why she needs to be seen loving other black people. Make no mistake, that’s what’s happening. The team is sorely lacking black testosterone. Storm’s black femininity doesn’t even get the full recognition that it should. It sends a different message for Storm to enjoy being/living around people that look like her. She does not do that in the X-men. Most of the fries for something new feels like veiled attempts to put her back on a pedestal for white admiration. Asking why Storm needs to be shown as loving of her culture and other black people is like asking why she would have time with her black girlfriends. Lol like, seriously? Who would’ve better understood Storm’s line about intersectionality Invisible Woman, Captain Marvel, Jean Grey, Emma Frost? Maybe Psylocke? You catch my drift?

I really have to question some of the motives for NOT acknowledging that Storm has been left to occupy a space where her only means of reproducing is that of a white male. People that don’t understand couldn’t possibly understand that she’s being cultivated in a space that is designed to breed the black mutants out of existence. Lol interracial relationships are not the wave that he media and the X-men like to portray to so many blind people. The overwhelming majority of black women are married to black men, and vice versa. Lol why does Storm need to be with a black man? The real question is why has it been so important to keep her sheltered from black men? Why are the X-men in general so sheltered and unaccustomed to hosting black men?
    this was such a thoughtful and well-written response. there is so much to unpack in this response. the idea of her being the representation of africa/blackness in the xmen but most of her interactions within the book of xmen have been outside of people who look like her, while promoting a white mutant supremacist agenda (because baby that is is this truly is). that is very deep and something that I have seen discussed before but never presented in the manner you just did.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    I'm actually excited Ororo will be featured in X-Men 1. I wonder if we will get a heart-to-heart between her and Scott. Then again, Hickman might use this book as a more action oriented story.

@the bold. Yeah, that scene between T'Challa and Nakia did not seem final to me, at all. There's something more, but we won't truly know until next issue or later--assuming Nakia doesn't get killed off. Also, I think Coates is emphasizing there being a shift within T'Challa. He's experiences in space has made him a different person, and we might see that going forward. Or maybe not.

Also, the sex didn't bother me. They are two grown people who smashed, so who gives a flying flip. But I do feel there is something missing--or should I say--off about their whole reunion--T'Challa came across as somewhat distant and reserve...maybe I needed to reread again. But you're right, T'Challa is being pulled between two worlds.
    if she gets killed off I would utterly lose it. and not in a bad way.
    lol
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-28-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    ‪Thiiiiis is also why a lot of BP fans see Storm fans as bandwagon opportunists though tbh. If they are going to be together then I would rather it be because hey actually work well in stories together and have a well-written connection. I’d rather not have Storm become a trophy piece in the BP menagerie simply because of his popularity, if it won’t actually benefit her as a character. Just give me good, emotionally mature writing God-damnit. ‬
    Is one of the many reasons of why BP aren't happy with Coates run (although far from the only one). I do agreed with you though, emotional mature writing is what we should strive for, Luke Cage and Claire from the Netflix series, at least in the first season was a great example of it IMO.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Is one of the many reasons of why BP aren't happy with Coates run (although far from the only one). I do agreed with you though, emotional mature writing is what we should strive for, Luke Cage and Claire from the Netflix series, at least in the first season was a great example of it IMO.

I dont agree with this sentiment. those storm fans that didnt like BP before his movie still dont like him. I simply think there are a large number of people (at least based upon what I see on social media) who like them as a couple and the fandom who still harbor ill feelings based upon the time of hudlin/post annulment are in the minority and are projecting. I could be wrong but just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    it possible it could be but keep in mind BP is not coming out until 2022 which is when phase 6 begins. this is reportedly when the xmen will make their debut.

yea time will tell. we never know what the mcu will have in store for us.

**thumbs up**
    Do you mean phase 5? Because being the first movie of 2022 would make it phase 5 if the xmen are scheduled for phase 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Do you mean phase 5? Because being the first movie of 2022 would make it phase 5 if the xmen are scheduled for phase 6.
    oh yea whichever one is after this next phase that is coming up with scarlet witch, vision, etc.

thanks for the clarification.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    well these are fictional characters so of course it’s not real but it doesn’t make it any less important to represent

Again why does there have to be a quota? Multiple black couples should exist. Besides I never said Monica and Adam don’t have black love.
    Two things stick out from your post. The first one, when we talk about representation we all know that Marvel uses Storm for specific merchandising purposes. When she shows up, she’s mainly used to check the black, female and mutant boxes. We know that’s why she’s used. Marvel knows that’s why she’s used. So why wouldn’t she herself recognize that?

The second thing that jumped out at me, this erroneous comparison to Monica and Blue Marvel. They aren’t characters that hold weigh in the mutant community. The same mutant community that shuns black males like the plague. There is no desire or baseline requirements to show that black men are accepted in Monica or Blue Marvel’s part of the universe. And they certainly aren’t part of a franchise notoriously known for putting the spotlight on the underdog and championing diversity. The while comparisons feels tone deaf and does nothing but obfuscate from the real issue about Storm and her relationship to black men in the X-books. Let us not forget that she had two black grandfathers, one black father, a black lil cousin, but she has no desire to connect with that energy? I’m confused, but not really...

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post

Well damn. A little on the nose but still 5 point's for you sir. Lol
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 08-28-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I always liked when Storm and Cable were flirting there during the Onslaught saga. I thought they would have been a great couple.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    "I really have to question some of the motives for NOT acknowledging that Storm has been left to occupy a space where her only means of reproducing is that of a white male. People that don’t understand couldn’t possibly understand that she’s being cultivated in a space that is designed to breed the black mutants out of existence. Lol interracial relationships are not the wave that he media and the X-men like to portray to so many blind people. The overwhelming majority of black women are married to black men, and vice versa. Lol why does Storm need to be with a black man? The real question is why has it been so important to keep her sheltered from black men? Why are the X-men in general so sheltered and unaccustomed to hosting black men?"

Literally and figuratively speaking...WTF? Dude you are on some whole other tangent...come back to centre.
    Who said anything remotely close to that ^?
    I know I neither said nor even hinted at anything of the sort.
    I never said YOU said anything. I’m talking about the feel of the thread and many of the feigned understandings of why it’s important for Storm to present messages of self love, black love and black romantic love in a space where it’s not encouraged. The two most prominent black mutants would be Storm and Bishop. Between them they both have a number of (alt reality) interracial children. How many do they have by black partners? There is no message of black love in the X-men books that would bring about the creation of a black family to rival the Grey, Summer or Lensherr bloodlines. That’s the message that people ignore when they ask why Storm needs to be with a black man? Why is it so important that she’s not? And before you ask who made it important, as I said, the writer that crafted the mutant world around her and the other black X-men made it so.

Damn, I thought it was comic book day.