Page 490 of 662 FirstFirst ... 390440480486487488489490491492493494500540590 ... LastLast
Results 7,336 to 7,350 of 9921

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Wow pitting two black women against each other. As if Coates really needed another stupid stereotype to use as a crutch for storytelling.
    as opposed to her being pitted against a slew of white women for decades?

If that 'fight' doesn't end in two seconds, it will be stupid and base(it would anyways, actually). How stupid is this Nakia, didn't Ororo just singled highhandedly destroy a whole fleet of warships last issue?

Krakka-BOOM!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

WHAT!? LOL
    I knew that was gone be confusing when I typed it out. lololol. read this:

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If that 'fight' doesn't end in two seconds, it will be stupid and base(it would anyways, actually). How stupid is this Nakia, didn't Ororo just singled highhandedly destroy a whole fleet of warships last issue?

Krakka-BOOM!
    yes she. that space food must be going to her head. got her inaccurately feeling herself.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yes she. that space food must be going to her head. got her inaccurately feeling herself.

Yes, well, Nakia is feeling salty. T'Challa had a choice and he made it. And it wasn't her. I'm sure this will be an uncomfortable convo for Ororo too, but I do think Coates will write her to be the bigger woman and take the high road. I do think, however, that at the end, Nakia will push Ororo's bigger woman attitude a bit too far. It won't result in a fight but likely a whip ass remark from Ororo or a small show of her power. But no cat fight. Coates doesn't strike me as the lowbrow kind of writer. But I also don't think he'll write Nakia to verbally chump Ororo. I do hope the convo between T'Challa and Ororo is shown in flashback. That's what I want more than this so-called confrontation.

BANNED

Wow pitting two black women against each other. As if Coates really needed another stupid stereotype to use as a crutch for storytelling.
    I personally think you need to let go of that. Like, really. There's an overabundance of black people in this series. With that said, the amount of conflict that pops up in the medium that we all enjoy is bound to produce drama that brings certain characters to blows. Storm just destroyed an entire invasion of black people. T'Challa just orchestrated it. The real takeaway should be how he balances it out. People complain about the black people he has fighting one another, but what about the black people he shows loving each other? What about Shuri's loving and supportive relationship with Okoye, Ramonda, Storm or T'Challa? What about T'Challa's brotherly love with Eden? Coates already has more positive portrayals of black people as a whole than any other book that Marvel produces, but he's perpetuating another stupid stereotype? What about the fans that can't recognize that they're painting black artist into a corner and holding them to a standard that aren't expected from white ones?

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Yes, well, Nakia is feeling salty. T'Challa had a choice and he made it. And it wasn't her. I'm sure this will be an uncomfortable convo for Ororo too, but I do think Coates will write her to be the bigger woman and take the high road. I do think, however, that at the end, Nakia will push Ororo's bigger woman attitude a bit too far. It won't result in a fight but likely a whip ass remark from Ororo or a small show of her power. But no cat fight. Coates doesn't strike me as the lowbrow kind of writer. But I also don't think he'll write Nakia to verbally chump Ororo. I do hope the convo between T'Challa and Ororo is shown in flashback. That's what I want more than this so-called confrontation.
    do we think he has truly made it? it seems there are still some feelings there for nakia on tchalla part. but I do agree with you I dont think there will be a physical confrontation between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I personally think you need to let go of that. Like, really. There's an overabundance of black people in this series. With that said, the amount of conflict that pops up in the medium that we all enjoy is bound to produce drama that brings certain characters to blows. Storm just destroyed an entire invasion of black people. T'Challa just orchestrated it. The real takeaway should be how he balances it out. People complain about the black people he has fighting one another, but what about the black people he shows loving each other? What about Shuri's loving and supportive relationship with Okoye, Ramonda, Storm or T'Challa? What about T'Challa's brotherly love with Eden? Coates already has more positive portrayals of black people as a whole than any other book that Marvel produces, but he's perpetuating another stupid stereotype? What about the fans that can't recognize that they're painting black artist into a corner and holding them to a standard that aren't expected from white ones?

bish!!!!!! this post is everything. I live u so much!

do we think he has truly made it? it seems there are still some feelings there for nakia on tchalla part. but I do agree with you I dont think there will be a physical confrontation between the two.

Well, this is the question. From what's been shown, the answer is yes. I'm not a fan of love triangle stories, so I hope that's not where Coates is going with this. If T'Challa is unsure at all that Ororo is the woman he wants to be with then he should step away from Ororo because being with her while also uncertain that she has his whole heart wouldn't be fair or kind to her. The fact that he seemed to have told Ororo something about his feelings for Nakia, although we don't know exactly what he said, is a good sign that he believe she deserved to know the truth, which she does. We could assume, based on last issue and them still obviously together that whatever T'Challa told Ororo about himself and Nakia didn't result in Ororo walking away from him and their relationship. Last issue seemed to have picked up the next day or two after T'Challa's return. Meaning, he didn't wait to tell Ororo about Nakia. Like I said, I'm more interested in that conversation. I really hope it is shown. Actually, I didn't care for the cut between Ororo and T'Challa coming face-to-face after his long absence and the post-coital panel on the next page. I would like to think that, before he had sex with Ororo, that they sat down and had a nice long chat about many things, including Nakia.

Yes, all very true. Coates is showing all kinds of relationships and interactions, which is how it should be. I don't think he has any interest in promoting a "girl fight." I do, however, think he has an interest in depicting Ororo well, as well as Nakia well(ish). I don't think he'll throw Nakia under the bus. He created this mess with Nakia and T'Challa, which puts Ororo in a position to have to deal with it in some kind of way. I can't see him going for salacious drama, the way other writers have when they've, for example, pitted Storm against BP in fights. Now that was some stereotypical, black on black violence that appealed to certain populations of readers who reveled in them going at each other. Meh.
    Last edited by GuiltyPleasure; 10-26-2019 at 04:45 AM.

This post is everything. I don't really care if it goes either way but people also have to realize that mentality not only limits creators but also portrayals of black characters.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Krakka-BOOM!
    I don't think this fight will be physical, nor does it have to be for it to be be a good conflict.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    as opposed to her being pitted against a slew of white women for decades?
    If we’re actually talking about the balance of it all, BlackClaw has more of a point than you do imo. One could make the argument that she’s certainly been pitted against white women all her life in the X-men. You could say that, but then you have to acknowledge that she’s been brought up in a space that glorifies her acceptance of the white majority and the familial ties they offer. She was given a white mother in the character M’Rin. She was given a white father in Xavier. She was given two white brothers in Cyclops and Colossus. She was given a white sister in Jean Grey. She was also given mammy status to white daughter (that gets her jollies by calling black males niggers) in Kitty Pryde and all too concerned with wiping her bloody nose in Marauders. I say all this to say that while you may believe she’s been pitted against white women her whole life, the writers also made the VERY CONSCIOUS decision to establish that many of her white counterparts hold a deep familial connection with her. Now when we take her interactions with other blacks in the X-men books into consideration the picture becomes all the more clear. The one black woman that dared to approach her under the commonality of their connection to Africa and called her “sister”, Storm gave her guff. The same Storm from Fearless that had a hard recognizing the term.

bish!!!!!! this post is everything. I live u so much!
    lol ok thanks, boo. You know I love you right back.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Yes, all very true. Coates is showing all kinds of relationships and interactions, which is how it should be. I don't think he has any interest in promoting a "girl fight." I do, however, think he has an interest in depicting Ororo well, as well as Nakia well(ish). I don't think he'll throw Nakia under the bus. He created this mess with Nakia and T'Challa, which puts Ororo in a position to have to deal with it in some kind of way. I can't see him going for salacious drama, the way other writers have when they've, for example, pitted Storm against BP in fights. Now that was some stereotypical, black on black violence that appealed to certain populations of readers who reveled in them going at each other. Meh.
    I just want to say that there’s a reason that I’m drawn to your posts. Please don’t ever change! You give me life! I’m with you when you say that he’s showing all types of relationships with black people. As he fucking should! It’s very interesting to me that Coates doesn’t get credit for displaying those interpersonal connections. I asked a question in the BP thread a few weeks ago in response to a poster that suggested that Coates writes misogynoir all over his BP run? I wanted to know how that narrative holds any weight when we acknowledge everything he’s done with Storm and the interactions she’s had there? I received no reply. I could only surmise that there was very little proof to support such a ridiculous notion and that line of thinking was dropped entirely. Without including her relationship with T’Challa, every other expression of in regards to black love in Black Panther is completely devoid of any sexual undertones. That all gets called boring tho. I have to ask myself why?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This post is everything. I don't really care if it goes either way but people also have to realize that mentality not only limits creators but also portrayals of black characters.
    This! I’m not saying they won’t come to blows. It’s possible. But there’s so much more to this scene than people are acknowledging. Storm chose to meet this woman on her turf. Storm even extend the olive branch. It’s easy to sniff out undertones of “this woman is after the man that I have” but I feel both women were treated as their own beings. Ororo and this Nakia both grew up in a constant war zone (so he X-men would have us believe) and despite that, they managed to push themselves to create a home that and community that means something to them. Storm created her home in the clouds of Africa and that life had meaning and purpose. Nakia did the same exact thing amongst the stars. I also love that Nakia isn’t swept up in the puffery around the Hadari Yao. It would be really boring if all Wakandans were just worshipped the ground she walked on. Even during the more tumultuous times in Wakanda, not everyone was shown to hate her, so why should all Wakandans love her? They shouldn’t. Ororo sat down at the table to have a conversation with another black woman as an equal. Black people that disagree with one another should always seek to have a conversation in order to better understand their points of contention. All too often you hear about this ridiculous cancel culture. It perpetuates slave mentality to me. “My master is better than your master” this, that, and the third. I’m a firm believer that we as black people need to be more forgiving of one another, instead of being in constant competition with our brothers and sisters. The same way mutants have decided to join together in furtherance of mutant solidarity, despite their differing opinions and at times their adversarial relationships, they understand that mutant love and acceptance should be greater than any force that seeks to tear them apart. My heart weeps for the black mutants and the black fans that champion mutant solidarity in the name of Krakoa, but can’t seem to grasp the concept of black love or black mutant love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    I don't think this fight will be physical, nor does it have to be for it to be be a good conflict.
    Exactly this. There’s absolutely no need for this situation to turn into a cat fight. We’re talking about two warrior women that put the plight, the pressure, and the preservation of their people on their backs and ran full force towards the forces that would oppose them. It would be a truly sad day if they couldn’t find a way to put their ideological and emotional differences aside to work together to aid the man they both have feelings for. I can’t stress the fact enough that both these woman are absolute forces of nature in their own ways. I look forward to the day when we stop cheering at the idea of black women tearing each other down and instead used their unmatched strength in combination to achieve a goal that will undoubtedly lift all black people together.

Yeah, not feeling that at all.

BANNED

These two characters shouldn’t be in conflict with each other because *checks notes* they’re both black women.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    These two characters shouldn’t be in conflict with each other because *checks notes* they’re both black women.
    It’s not like no one wants there to be “conflict”, it’s just that fans understandably don’t want to see two warrior women like Storm and Nakia getting into a fist fight over a man. That doesn’t look good for them, the Black Panther mythos which pushes strong female characters, or the story being told. Wakanda is in the midst of an attack by an intergalactic shadow of itself, so the much more compelling story is to show how these two (yea black) women work together to help the king despite their mutual feelings for him.

It’s more than possible to convey the emotional turmoil between these two characters in a way that doesn’t devolve into them punching each other. And I do think that in an age where social media and pop culture tends to glorify women cancelling each other and degrading themselves over men, that it’d be nice to see Storm and Nakia at least try to act professional as they help save the kingdom. So I can’t speak for others but that’s why I’m not interested in seeing them fight. That and the fact I’d rather Coates not draw out the romance subplot and just got off the book lol