Page 55 of 662 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    ooooooh children.... Netflix is shading SOME of the xmen and it has caused a stir on social media. the question you ask: which xmen characters are overrated or correctly rated or underrated. our gurl obviously was correctly rated. I wont post about some of the others who were stated to be overrated but I must say some of the others stated to be overrated that other fandoms love I would totally agree with Netflix. enjoy:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02...ans-losing-it/

https://mobile.twitter.com/NXOnNetfl...s-losing-it%2F
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

ooooooh children.... Netflix is shading SOME of the xmen and it has caused a stir on social media. the question you ask: which xmen characters are overrated or correctly rated or underrated. our gurl obviously was correctly rated. I wont post about some of the others who were stated to be overrated but I must say some of the others stated to be overrated that other fandoms love I would totally agree with Netflix. enjoy:

Called Cyclops somewhat of a villain. I'm done.

Even they're drinking the koolaid, but I have to admit Wolverine and Gambit are HELLA overrated. Beast can go far away though.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    which parts did you agree with boo?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post

Even they're drinking the koolaid, but I have to admit Wolverine and Gambit are HELLA overrated. Beast can go far away though.
    you know honestly I would have stated gambit was underrated but I forgot he had a solo movie in the works. beast i like for some reason. I know he has done a lot of stupid things but he still is likeable to me for some reason. and its interesting that a lot of people perceive cyclops time leading up to his death as villainous but they did say he was underrated I believe.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I am not sure how accurate this is but Storm is the only black character of heroes to be featured the most out of 20 characters. The next black character doesnt appear until 53, Luke Cage. It gives a bit of perspective when you look at diversity as it relates to comics:

https://comiccruncher.com

Storm is #18 with 2308 appearances.

One thing that I took notice of is that when Storm was at her most popular (in the 90s) she didnt appear in nearly as many books when her popularity waned. It would have made the most sense that Marvel would capitalize on that when she was able to beat Wonder Wonder during the fan voted crossover. Also, appearances dont translate to quality. As we know the 2000s were not the most kind to Ororo yet this is where she seemingly had the most appearances.
    She's also the #1 female of all Marvel characters, counting main reality appearances only: https://comiccruncher.com/marvel

I would say it's pretty accurate. If you look at US issues on comicbookdb and comicvine and Marvel Wikia, the stats add up.

The site says it doesn't count variants, reprints, recaps, or just cover appearances either.

Makes sense that Storm is #1 Marvel female for most appearances. What's also interesting is that she appeared in the mid 70s and isn't an older character like Jean Grey or Captain America.

If you filter by trending, Black Panther is #3 and Storm is #5.

It's possible if they didn't kill off the F4 the last few years then Sue Storm would be #1 Marvel female. Invisible Woman has a huge drop: https://comiccruncher.com/characters/invisible-woman

She's #2 for Marvel females.

Compared with Storm: https://comiccruncher.com/characters/storm
    Last edited by ButterRum; 02-20-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    She's also the #1 female of all Marvel characters, counting main reality appearances only: https://comiccruncher.com/marvel

I would say it's pretty accurate. If you look at US issues on comicbookdb and comicvine and Marvel Wikia, the stats add up.

The site says it doesn't count variants, reprints, recaps, or just cover appearances either.

Makes sense that Storm is #1 Marvel female for most appearances. What's also interesting is that she appeared in the mid 70s and isn't an older character like Jean Grey or Captain America.

If you filter by trending, Black Panther is #3 and Storm is #5.

It's possible if they didn't kill off the F4 the last few years then Sue Storm would be #1 Marvel female. Invisible Woman has a huge drop: https://comiccruncher.com/characters/invisible-woman

She's #2 for Marvel females.

Compared with Storm: https://comiccruncher.com/characters/storm
    thanks for the follow-up analysis. I didn't catch or even look at the other points you mentioned. im actually surprised that invisible woman does not have more just a couple of questions:

1. do you know what is meant by trending? it's good that there are a least more characters of color before getting to almost 20.

2. did you mean captain marvel and not captain america?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

I thought so too. I was actually quite surprised. as I said I'm not sure how accurate this is but if it is accurate I think it does lend itself to support why she is the top black character. It also is pretty sad that the next one doesn't appear until nearly 30 characters further down the list.
    I would offer this question-how many of those appearances were background of one panel cameos?

I can throw someone in a book and still do NOTHING with them (see Duke Thomas under Tom King in Batman).

I would ask how many meaningful appearances has she done. How many stories has she contributed to.

Lets say 75% were meaningful-Marvel needs to be called out for not not doing MORE.

If it's 50% or lower-Marvel STILL needs to be called out for treating her like a token.

If she is the most seen female let alone BLACK female-I would have to go with the logic of doing something with her. ANd if someone wanted justification-see Aquaman. Folks thought no one would really care about a guy who talks to fish with a movie.

That movie is at 1.3 billion. Because he got fans who don't READ comics.

Now what if that was done with Storm? A nice decent budgeted film. She might not sniff a billion but you might find out how popular she really is.

lololol agreed!! oh please vote for storm on link on post 798.

also u seem to really not care for Logan. why is that? I didnt have an issue with him until the movies changed the xmen into Logan featuring the xmen. it is quite a travesty what the foxmen managed to do with these popular characters by reducing them to his sidekicks.
    I voted I think. Lol. I’m on mobile and this website is annoying to navigate.
    I used to like Logan when I got into X-men, but like you, the movies ruined him for me. So much overexposure and other characters pushed to the background.

thanks for the follow-up analysis. I didn't catch or even look at the other points you mentioned. im actually surprised that invisible woman does not have more just a couple of questions:

1. do you know what is meant by trending? it's good that there are a least more characters of color before getting to almost 20.

2. did you mean captain marvel and not captain america?
    Just eyeballing it and it looks like trending takes most appearances for characters over the last year or so.

I mean Captain America. He first appeared in the 40s or something. Some characters like Wolverine first appeared in the 80s and have a lower number of appearances than Captain America, but Wolverine could be considered more popular since he has a higher average amount of issues per year. Storm first appeared in the 70s and yet she has all those appearances. If she appeared in the 40s, then her 2000+ appearances would be spread out over a longer period of time.

I think for Storm is that she obviously appears a lot but hasn't had a significant role in the books like Cyclops and Wolverine have, so it feels like she doesn't appear as much.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post

Eh Gambit deserve some love, dude was pretty much irrelevant since 2012 and only recently has started to recieve some positive attention again.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would offer this question-how many of those appearances were background of one panel cameos?

I can throw someone in a book and still do NOTHING with them (see Duke Thomas under Tom King in Batman).

I would ask how many meaningful appearances has she done. How many stories has she contributed to.

Lets say 75% were meaningful-Marvel needs to be called out for not not doing MORE.

If it's 50% or lower-Marvel STILL needs to be called out for treating her like a token.

If she is the most seen female let alone BLACK female-I would have to go with the logic of doing something with her. ANd if someone wanted justification-see Aquaman. Folks thought no one would really care about a guy who talks to fish with a movie.

That movie is at 1.3 billion. Because he got fans who don't READ comics.

Now what if that was done with Storm? A nice decent budgeted film. She might not sniff a billion but you might find out how popular she really is.
    1. The FAQs addressed your first question and actually addresses much of the points your presented. It was mentioned if anything is missing from the number of issues featured those missing would include small cameos or background appearances where the character does not even talk.

I'm not sure you could make the argument that just because she has meaningful appearances she isnt still a token. I mean look at Tchalla in Avengers. He is a token despite having a significant role. Same would apply to Ororo where her significance would vary depending on the time period and writer.

And time will tell with regards to any movie. After the fox-disney deal is finalized If Ororo becomes the first black female to get a solo movie I would imagine it would be to black girls what Wonder Woman was for young girls generally. It could be immensely huge if it is done correctly. However, we dont have to look to speculation to know she is immensely popular. She has had theme park rides devoted to her, featured in award-nominated cartoons, toys, games, and movies. Her not having a solo film doesnt diminish this fact but is a testament to her popularity that in a medium with so many characters she is as popular as she is. And this will only be augmented after the marvel deal is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I voted I think. Lol. I’m on mobile and this website is annoying to navigate.
    I used to like Logan when I got into X-men, but like you, the movies ruined him for me. So much overexposure and other characters pushed to the background.
    thank you for voting. and seems like we are on the same page with how overrated Logan is.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    Just eyeballing it and it looks like trending takes most appearances for characters over the last year or so.

I mean Captain America. He first appeared in the 40s or something. Some characters like Wolverine first appeared in the 80s and have a lower number of appearances than Captain America, but Wolverine could be considered more popular since he has a higher average amount of issues per year. Storm first appeared in the 70s and yet she has all those appearances. If she appeared in the 40s, then her 2000+ appearances would be spread out over a longer period of time.

I think for Storm is that she obviously appears a lot but hasn't had a significant role in the books like Cyclops and Wolverine have, so it feels like she doesn't appear as much.
    ok that makes sense. I think it is definitely impressive that for her to have been around not nearly as long as some of the other characters she has appeared in as many books as she has. I think it is demonstrative that whether her appearance is viewed as important or not her being present is perceived as being essential to the story.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-21-2019 at 01:06 AM.

BANNED

Why are they complaining??? It’s the truth everyone knows Wolverine is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Why are they complaining??? It’s the truth everyone knows Wolverine is overrated.
    there were a few others listed as overrated too that I think some didnt agree with. some of the ones listed by Netflix made me laugh lol. though I think storm being listed as correctly rated is fine i do think she tends to be underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    A lot for me to read & get caught up on !

For Storm fans who have not yet checked out the Stormitorium you should. Its a really good webisode series, and 2 new episodes are up (17 & 18 where Storm encounters Deluge):

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzbD2bFloyDpTatoM7X7gcg
    wow rider thank you for sharing this was so good. to actually hear her origins spoken was so powerful and moving. I could totally see marvel doing an origin story one day for her. it would need to include all these elements discussed about her lineage both paternal and maternal, as well as the racism her family encountered in America .

edit: I have not finished watching all the episodes but I was told tchalla and her meeting was told through the telling of dickeys version. that portion, her wanting to be sexed up and preggers, her being saved by tchalla, and her feeling like a woman after they f@cked, was all trash. thank the goddess it was retconned.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-21-2019 at 12:43 AM.

BANNED

there were a few others listed as overrated too that I think some didnt agree with. some of the ones listed by Netflix made me laugh lol. though I think storm being listed as correctly rated is fine i do think she tends to be underrated.
    I don't know what that mean "Correctly Rated" what you trying to say Netflix???

As for the others Gambit and Colossus being "Overrated" ok I can agree that's not true, but Wolverine??? MOST DEFINITELY THE MOST OVERRATED MUTANT of the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I definitely think that Wolverine being overrated is Fox’s fault. People act like no other X-man exist.