Page 633 of 662 FirstFirst ... 133533583623629630631632633634635636637643 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,495 of 9921
    BANNED

I think what some of you are missing is that Coates has added to her mythology in a meaningful way we haven’t seen before. Between Hadari Yao and Blue, he’s given Storm a a heritage and secret history outside of the X & BP. These dual paths play into Storm’s own dualities and stem from the two sides of her family. No, he hasn’t fleshed all this out because BP isn’t the place to do it. He has, however, done something nobody has done with the character in 30+ years: he’s said something new.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    I think what some of you are missing is that Coates has added to her mythology in a meaningful way we haven’t seen before. Between Hadari Yao and Blue, he’s given Storm a a heritage and secret history outside of the X & BP. These dual paths play into Storm’s own dualities and stem from the two sides of her family. No, he hasn’t fleshed all this out because BP isn’t the place to do it. He has, however, done something nobody has done with the character in 30+ years: he’s said something new.
    He didn't give her anything though. The hadari yao will only be recognized in wakanda because as terrance and the others have said why would anyone outside wakanda know what hadari yaoi is. She already has her own worshippers and was already a goddess. In fearless she was called a literal goddess and in X-men they refer to her as a goddess. So he didn't add anything the x-men or anyone outside of wakanda would really know. Every feat he has had her done has been isolated into wakanda. He has not given Storm or Tchalla a world stage Marvel U moment where everyone would take notice. We still don't know who the Orisha. And storm family predates Wakanda and she's from Kenya where she is a princess but coates didn't even have go check her ancestrial birth place. No BP writer none of them that have used Storm have thought about expanding on how that kenyan nation is doing or giving Storm her own place so they've done less than the X-books which atleast built her up into what she is.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

And why am i just realizing it. While Coates has done everything to ingrain Storm in Wakanda's mythos he has done nothing to expand either in the greater MU. I blew my own mind. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And im over the fact that some people keep bringing everything back to BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK! ****. It's like get out in the real world and lets help some REAL black people. I am just so done with hearing about it. As a black man let me be the first to say i honestly DGAF if a fictional black woman is with a fictional black male and i don't associate that with BLACK love. and also let me just get off my chest that i'm over this notion that just because coates is a BLACK writer wrting BLACK characters in a relationship that he should be given any more leeway than any other writer especially when i feel he doesn't really care about the true condition of the BLACK male or putting forward a positive image of one as evident by his own supposedly woke writing. And that is just my opinion and how i feel on the situation and what some of the stuff comes across sounding like to me. And i didn't think BP was that great of a movie either despite all the money it made. All i want is well written diversity.
    I absolutely will bring everything back to black. I never said you or anyone else had to. Those are reasons I choose to look at it in a positive light. She's with a black man right now and I enjoy the way they've been written together. You're free to feel as you do.

I honestly don't care how you interpret my use of Black Love. Nor do I care about your assumption that Coates should be afforded leeway for your perceived slights against black men. Have at it. I like his approach to the conversation around mutantdom and blackness. He's the only one to broach the subject and I greatly appreciate that. Is there a reason you take issue with me bringing everything back to black, and yet your main gripe with Coates is how he treats black men?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    He didn't give her anything though. The hadari yao will only be recognized in wakanda because as terrance and the others have said why would anyone outside wakanda know what hadari yaoi is. She already has her own worshippers and was already a goddess. In fearless she was called a literal goddess and in X-men they refer to her as a goddess. So he didn't add anything the x-men or anyone outside of wakanda would really know. Every feat he has had her done has been isolated into wakanda. He has not given Storm or Tchalla a world stage Marvel U moment where everyone would take notice. We still don't know who the Orisha. And storm family predates Wakanda and she's from Kenya where she is a princess but coates didn't even have go check her ancestrial birth place. No BP writer none of them that have used Storm have thought about expanding on how that kenyan nation is doing or giving Storm her own place so they've done less than the X-books which atleast built her up into what she is.
    He explicitly stated her godhead was her birthright. She’s literally worshipped in Wakanda which is why that’s where she can access it. Again, BP is hardly the place for her to go digging through her ancient history. She needs her own book for that, but he has at least given her something additive to be fleshed out that is wholly hers. That rarely happens.

He explicitly stated her godhead was her birthright. She’s literally worshipped in Wakanda which is why that’s where she can access it. Again, BP is hardly the place for her to go digging through her ancient history. She needs her own book for that, but he has at least given her something additive to be fleshed out that is wholly hers. That rarely happens.
    I think he means outside of Wakanda, who's gonna worship Storm? I cant see the X-men sitting around praying to her as that would be a bit much. Nor do I see the average citizen with no concept of the HY or believe in Storm as a god. Its a development with limited practical utilization within the X-books. Like you said, a Storm solo is the best chance that any of this to truly be explored

Something no one knows about that she herself still doesn't accept so proably won't even talk to anyone outside of wakanda about. He sure did a good job of segregating this once powerful black duo from the rest of the MU. And had all their developments behind closed doors.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think he means outside of Wakanda, who's gonna worship Storm? I cant see the X-men sitting around praying to her as that would be a bit much. Nor do I see the average citizen with no concept of the HY or believe in Storm as a god. Its a development with limited practical utilization within the X-books. Like you said, a Storm solo is the best chance that any of this to truly be explored
    I don’t think worshipping Storm is the end goal. Again, he created a new dimension to her heritage to be fleshed out. He did the same thing with the Blue stuff in the Crew. He’s slowly building up her personal mythology, using both sides of her family to do it, and that’s more than most writers can claim.

I don’t think worshipping Storm is the end goal. Again, he created a new dimension to her heritage to be fleshed out. He did the same thing with the Blue stuff in the Crew. He’s slowly building up her personal mythology, using both sides of her family to d lo it, and that’s more than most writers can claim.
    But isnt her being worship what represents her ill defined godhood?

BANNED

But isnt her being worship what represents her ill defined godhood?
    It’s a part of it, sure, but her struggle to balance that with her humanity is where the conflict comes from. Her efforts to understand it are where the conflict comes from. These are the narrative opportunities he’s setting up. Giving her worshippers as an end goal just seems dumb.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 12-10-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    if hudlin had stellar numbers sales wise it would have never been handed off. yea coates run may soon be over but as I said people shouldnt delude themselves into thinking its coates that is the problem. agents of wakanda is doing poor and probably wont make it to 12 issues and coates name is not attached to that book at all.

also comparing the sales of coates book to hudlin/priest fair. the comicbook market was much stronger then than it is now.
    I believe he left because the editor he was working with moved on and he was getting more projects in Hollywood. But I could be remembering wrong.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Quoted for truth. How many times are writers and editors gonna use this excuse of coordinating or approval from other franchises etc etc. Pathetic. No one wants to hear this when they have Wolverine running around in 20 different titles They just need to admit that she's not a priority or a favorite cause it sure as hell shows.
    Hey boo where you been?!?!?

And hello? I remember the xoffices said they had big plans for her after marriage ended and we all know how that ended. It is so disingenuous. I ask myself do these people thing we fans are really this detached from reality to think she cannot be given focus in an xbook because she is in black panther ???? It makes zero sense.

She doesnt and he doesnt need her either but together, they can amplify each other's powers for a faster, more devastating attack. Iceman can freeze things just fine and he converts the moisture in the air to do so. Storm can provide him with far more water than whats available for him to use, giving him more to work with. The X-men should do more creative teamups like this more often as its more interesting than the classic fastball special

No lie there and you can really tell when it comes to the writers when they talk with excitement about other characters compared to when they get to Storm, if at all. She's often an afterthough

I agree. I dont think either need each other frankly. After his solo, what could Ororo provide him that he on his own couldnt do? He froze a good portion of hell, and froze the entire earth (albeit with the death seed).

You make such an excellent point. When he was talking about kitty it sounded like he was going to.have a fangasm. he talked about how every reader relates to her and how she has the coolest power. the he got to ororo and ur was like you hewr crickets for a bit like he was searching for something to say lol. coates clearly loves ororo and it shows in his writing. ororo is an afterthought in his and it has shown in his stories.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Storm has been calling herself goddess since she joined the X-men. I bet this recent development doesnt mean anything to most X-men bc most dont have a grasp for what that concept means and it hasnt really changed anything tangible with her. Her "unique" standing among mutants doesnt mean anything if its not something that makes her different and it really doesnt. I think the only one that might be able to have a natural reaction to it is Apocalypse since he's been around forever and has far more knowledge nad experience with actual gods. But really, how do people expect the likes of Wolverine, Kitty, Gambit, etc... to respond? They'd probably be like "cool bro"
    You bring up excellent points. Hadari Yao is something new for her, but she hasn't done anything new. Her unique standing in the X-men is as a
    woman with ties to Kenya, Egypt, Harlem, Black Panther/Wakanda. She's different because no other mutant has those settings to tell stories from that perspective. The X-books don't need to go through all the ins and outs of what it means to be Hadari Yao. A simple nod to her relationship is fine as with X-red. That's it. The X-books aren't required to give ALL the details of the Fearless mini or her time with the F4 either. They also don't need to be petty and ignore those ties of hers. That's all I'm saying. She has enough material to tell a believable and engaging story about what it means for her to be mutant.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

True.
    But...
    If no one else decides to pick up where he left off...all that "development" (in quotes because the writer himself has done absolutely nothing to expand and expound on it, apparently) is just a foot note.
    And honestly...I won't fault HiX-Man or Duggan if they don't address/develop it further in their books simply because it's probably not that important or relevant to they stories they are telling overall.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    True.
    But...
    If no one else decides to pick up where he left off...all that "development" (in quotes because the writer himself has done absolutely nothing to expand and expound on it, apparently) is just a foot note.
    And honestly...I won't fault HiX-Man or Duggan if they don't address/develop it further in their books simply because it's probably not that important or relevant to they stories they are telling overall.
    It's really not that revelvant in the grand scheme. Claremont been dragging this goddess thing for almost 30 years now. And no one knows what is happening with BP and Storm outside of Wakanda because none of the stories happened there so why would anyone in universe acknowledge something they probably don't even know. Im bout ready to move on from it too, do it or don't it's been lingering forever either way and it all ends the same place whoever is writing it, vague. But atleast i use to get some badass Storm stories.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.