Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ragin' Cajun - The Gambit Appreciation 2019

There is only one amazing card throwing character from Marvel and that would be Remy LeBeau .. Gambit.

gambitbyknafo.jpg

Art by Idan Knafo. I hope he gets the opportunity to draw Gambit for Marvel.

Gambit uses kinetic energy, his choice of weapon is cards but also uses a bo-staff. He's above average in athleticism, very agile, and good strategist. Sometimes using himself as the distraction to help his teammates.

Gambit's eyes are red with black sclera (no white around the eye). Sometimes his eyes light up with his power, sometimes they do not, depends on artist and writer wants.

He is charming and its alleged it could be part of his mutation but its debatable. Writers prefer his charm to be part of his personality.

Gambit is King of the Thieves Guild when it suits him.

Gambit was introduced into the Marvel U in 1990 - Uncanny Xmen #266.

Gambit is good friends with Storm, Wolverine and has mentored X-23.

He's worked with all of the Xmen, including Polaris and Quicksilver in ANXF.

Currently married to Rogue. (2018)

Gambit is currently in Mr & Mrs X, and Xmen Red. (2018-2019)

His cast of villains is large but Mr. Sinister is probably his biggest antagonist.

Gambit owns three cats (or do they own him?) ... all Disney named - Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro. (Asmus, PAD)

I could add more but we're Gambit fans - we know him.

I will add another picture ... or two ... right now, settling for one more. LOL

ANXF_Cover_03.final.jpg

Kris Anka art, cover for ANXF

edit - one of many but will say why.
    It appears the old thread is dead. Time for a new one. I moved this comment to the end because if you scroll over it when looking at threads, I didn't want it to be the first thing you read.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-07-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: threads need a reason or so I thought
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Here's hoping for a new solo for him in 2019. I want to read about him.

Astonishing Member

Don’t know why the old appreciation threads were closed, but hurray! for starting a new one.

I have mixed feelings on solos, because they’re good for obvious reasons, but they never last, and are often ignored... it’s like almost like marvel has ‘trained’ readers to ignore solos and ‘new’ team titles. But then again, 10-12 issues of smaller focus, good stories is better than not having those...

Thanks! I had not visited in a while and thought, well I should post and then get the surprise - thread is closed. LOL

Me being me - checked three times to not duplicate. LOL

Anyway - solos are what they are. I like them because its concentrated. I understand wanting team stuff but so far, none of the team stuff is delivering.

A panel or a page doesn't cut it when there is so few pages for content. And with a team and only 20 pages. The story has to have precedence, you lose some characterization.

I'll take a short mini or solo for 12, than an on-going that doesn't give much.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-06-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Spectacular Member

Thanks for creating a new thread Neko! Hopefully Marvel keeps featuring Gambit in the comics. A solo would be nice but I would also love to see him as part of the main X-men teams. I'm still reading Mr and Mrs. X but I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible when it comes to Gambit getting any big character beats/development. I'm also not entirely convinced that Rogue even loves Gambit or sure of how she actually expresses her endearment for him. Wish Gambit was in more comics but I'll take what I can get.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 01-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.

He does need some beats. LOL

IMO - without Rogue.

I'd want some story, give him something - he's a character that survives ... and its a nice quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    I'm also not entirely convinced that Rogue even loves Gambit or sure of how she actually expresses her endearment for him.
    I question this as well. I have no idea.

It feels like that Gambit is a trophy husband. Give him some story beyond being married to Rogue - I don't think we're asking for much. IMO.

Neko, thanks for creating a new thread.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

My big hope for 2019 is for Gambit to get a spot on a core X-Men team and actually get some storylines. Got a horrible feeling that both Gambit and Rogue are going off on their own little satellite book all year.

I really like Mr & Mrs X but I miss Gambit being an X-Man
    L'Enfer !

Gambino's 1999 solo book just got completed on Marvel Unlimited. All 25 issues and both annuals. Commence ragin', cajuns.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

Thank you for the new thread. I hope both Gambit and the other X-characters get meaningful and good stories in 2019

Spectacular Member

Thank you for creating the thread Neko. I've always loved Gambit's character. It surprises and saddens me when people dislike him so much (especially writers or Marvel gods), but was happy to see more positive reviews for him in 2018 and seeing more critics coming around. Definitely hoping 2019 brings even more awesome stories (and really cool and unique ways in using his powers) and character development come his way!

On the topic of a Gambit solo, the only reason I see for Gambit to get one in the near future is if the movie gets made, otherwise I just don't see it happening.
    People at Marvel will look at the numbers of Mr & Mrs X and come to the conclusion that a Gambit solo would probably sell even less.
    So for those who like Mr & Mrs X the best they can hope for is that the books gets 3 trades (anything above that number is completely unrealistic), for the rest is that Gambit can find a home in some team book (and not end up for a long period of time in limbo, like it happened in the last few years)

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    On the topic of a Gambit solo, the only reason I see for Gambit to get one in the near future is if the movie gets made, otherwise I just don't see it happening.
    People at Marvel will look at the numbers of Mr & Mrs X and come to the conclusion that a Gambit solo would probably sell even less.
    So for those who like Mr & Mrs X the best they can hope for is that the books gets 3 trades (anything above that number is completely unrealistic), for the rest is that Gambit can find a home in some team book (and not end up for a long period of time in limbo, like it happened in the last few years)
    Agree with that. We know that Bunn pitched Gambit solo but Marvel weren't interested in it.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 01-07-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I question this as well. I have no idea.

It feels like that Gambit is a trophy husband. Give him some story beyond being married to Rogue - I don't think we're asking for much. IMO.
    It's not that I hate Rogue or don't like their relationship, there was a time when I enjoyed reading Romy in the comics, but I'm tired of just reading the same story of Gambit trying to prove to Rogue he's trustworthy and Rogue continuing to have doubts or push him away. This was fine in 2010 and even in the mini but the fact that it's still the focal point of the ongoing is disappointing. Hopefully by the time the ongoing is finished Rogue will start to have some more trust in Remy, and maybe we'll even see how she expresses her endearment (love) towards him in ways similar to the way Gambit does. You also bring up a great point in that we really haven't seen Gambit develop in any ways that aren't related to Rogue, that's something that I think many fans miss from the 90s and early 2000s when he wasn't only defined by his relationship with Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    The interesting thing is that the Gambit solo from the 2012-2013 actually sold just as many if not more copies than Mr & Mrs. X. The 11th issue of that Gambit solo sold more than the 5th issue MMX. That Gambit solo was able to pretty consistently keep it's sales at around the 20K sales mark. And you can't even argue that the X-men comics were selling a lot more back then because X-men Legacy (one of the flagship Xmen titles) was only selling in the 30K's and sometimes dipped below that.

There's definitely potential behind Gambit, we just need creative writers who are interested in exploring the character the same way some writers like Nicieza and Asmus were in the past. It would be nice to also get some more support from Marvel editorial. It's great to see him featured in MMX, even if he does feel like more of a major secondary character at times, but it would be nice to see get a push in other Xmen titles as part of a team. And yes hopefully we do get 3 trades from Mr & Mrs. X. I'm sure we'll get 2 trades but 3 would be great, the more Gambit the better. Hopefully Marvel continues to feature him in some capacity after Mr & Mrs. X is done. I think my dream would be for some writer with interest in Gambit to revolutionize his character in a comic the same way Tom King revolutionized Vision when he wrote him in a Maxi series a few years ago.