Page 46 of 744 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146546 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Look, I recognize that most people don't know the Romani people by any term other than Gypsy, but it's perhaps being used a little too freely given its problematic nature.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    MoS posted scans that predated Hudlin's depiction of Doom (which was in continuity with how Doom actually acts so it's not like Hudlin made it up on the spot). I mean if we are being real, that's how Doom is, a racist sexist looking white male, which as this point, he is a white male. blame artists and editorial for that I guess.

There is nothing wrong with Wakanda having the cure for cancer because the reason for why they didn't share it made complete sense on multiple levels. Most BP fans aren't bothered by that, it's mainly non fans that were outraged
    Yes, a scan from 30 years ago, when people genuinely thought that statements like 'You're a credit to your race!' were actual compliments.

Mr. Fantastic once insisted that Sue stay out of action because she was a girl. Times change.

Doom looks down on everyone. That's been the vast majority of his characterization. And I'd say his recent dismissal of Dracula's racism takes priority over a 30 plus old scan.

We have a racist villain already, that's Red Skull.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Look, I recognize that most people don't know the Romani people by any term other than Gypsy, but it's perhaps being used a little too freely given its problematic nature.
    Surely not as problematic as dismissing them as Keebler Elves? (also in Hudlin's issue. Less said about his work, the better)

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yes, a scan from 30 years ago, when people genuinely thought that statements like 'You're a credit to your race!' were actual compliments.

Mr. Fantastic once insisted that Sue stay out of action because she was a girl. Times change.

Doom looks down on everyone. That's been the vast majority of his characterization. And I'd say his recent dismissal of Dracula's racism takes priority over a 30 plus old scan.

We have a racist villain already, that's Red Skull.
    Pretty sure it was still racist in the 80s.

And Hudlin was talking about Latverian architecture. Which most likely wasn't built by the Romani. Unless Doom built the town after he came to power.

The real problem with Latveria is that it does not have any beachfront property so it can get quite claustrophobic in the summer!
    Get Hectic!

Hahahah

Now that there's no escaping Doom being a racist scumbag, we're moving to the stage where people want to exonerate him of it by saying it's unfair and what Hudlin wrote shouldn't count and something something 30 years ago, because only Red Skull should be the racist one!!

Yea well too bad so sad

We told the Doom-bae fans they didn't want this, even tried to change the topic by bringing up the most recent BP book, but noooooooooo ppl didn't want to let it goooo!

Well i got some Black Panther related stuff to talk about in this Black Panther Appreciation thread, cotdamn it! lol
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Nail Biter: Oscar Show Insiders Are Counting on Black Panther for a Best Pic Nomination to Boost TV Ratings, Worried it Won’t Happen

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/01/1...it-wont-happen

The countdown to Oscar nominations on Tuesday morning is more of a nail-biter than ever.

There are many dramas-within-dramas, including which actors and actresses will be cut off from the top 5 in every category. The Oscar-nosticators are busy all weekend trying to divine who will be in and who will be out.

But the biggest drama is about “Black Panther.” The Academy and ABC TV are counting on Ryan Coogler’s $700 million epic making the finals for Best Picture. If it doesn’t, there will be huge headaches.

“Black Panther” is the one movie everyone who loves movies saw last year. It’s also considered a watershed moment for comic book movies, and for films featuring African Americans. If it’s in the running, fans may very well tune in to see its cast featured and maybe some below-the-line wins.

But if “Black Panther” somehow doesn’t make the cut, there will be terror in all conference calls and group emails about the February 24th show.
    Right now, “Black Panther” is the key to survival in the ratings. The word is that the show’s producers are trying to round up a huge group of Marvel universe actors including the ones from “BP.” That would be a ratings draw.
    I've never watched the Oscars, why so serious? Stop putting everything on T'Challa to save the day you ungrateful ingrates!
    Black Panther vs Thor

Mathematician crunches the numbers on Black Panther, A Quiet Place's Oscar odds

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/mathem...ces-oscar-odds

Nothing is less cold and analytical than the decisions of critics and other voting awards bodies when it comes to picking their favorite movies and movie stars of the year. Predicting the Oscar nominations is speculation deeply concerned with a movie’s awards narrative, the mood of the voters, and other intangible qualities. So of course, that means someone went and applied an algorithm to the process. And we’re here for it.

Over at The Hollywood Reporter, Harvard applied math grad Ben Zauzmer crunched the numbers — using a formula that looks at previous awards data for those in the running for Oscar nominations, then weighs it according to how successful those past awards have been at predicting Oscar nominations. This results in a handful of percentages for awards favorites and underdogs so that fans can start putting some numbers to their favorite genre film’s chances — and Black Panther and A Quiet Place lead the charge.

Let’s get into the numbers. First, those for Best Picture. Black Panther, one of the year’s most popular films with critics and the box office, leads the pack among genre films. Sitting at an 80 percent chance to land a Best Picture nomination, it’s far above A Quiet Place (19 percent), Mary Poppins Returns (16.5 percent), and First Man (10.3 percent).
    See, I'd say we're doing what Batman couldn't do a decade ago, but we just got done talking about some other mytho's character, and i'm not trying to instigate things down another rabbit hole, so I wouldn't mention Batman or the Dark Knight.

That said, I guess next Tuesday is when we're going to get a big spike-up of BP movie related clickbait articles and youtube vids celebrating (or bitching about) his historic oscar nomination! How excited are we???

(I'm kinda indifferent, but i'll accept it into the trophy case)
    Black Panther vs Thor

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If we can ignore Hudlin's cure for cancer, we can ignore him depicting Doom as a racist, and that dumb ass Blade follow up.

Fair?
    Didn't Monica Lynn end up dying from cancer too? Wakanda was pretty darn strict with that no sharing of the cancer cure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Nail Biter: Oscar Show Insiders Are Counting on Black Panther for a Best Pic Nomination to Boost TV Ratings, Worried it Won’t Happen

I've never watched the Oscars, why so serious? Stop putting everything on T'Challa to save the day you ungrateful ingrates!
    Funny how much people need BP to help their favorite characters, or boost ratings on their tv broadcasts and the like when not too long ago people were sure that BP would be Marvel's first flop, Cap, Bucky, Avengers etc would save the day, majority black cast movie's that aren't inner city or slave movie's don't sell and whatever else
    Now everyone is lining up to kiss the Kings ring

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Didn't Monica Lynn end up dying from cancer too? Wakanda was pretty darn strict with that no sharing of the cancer cure thing.
    Are you talking about Don McGregors else world story in the BP annual? Cause that don't count. Nice try though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Funny how much people need BP to help their favorite characters, or boost ratings on their tv broadcasts and the like when not too long ago people were sure that BP would be Marvel's first flop, Cap, Bucky, Avengers etc would save the day, majority black cast movie's that aren't inner city or slave movie's don't sell and whatever else
    Now everyone is lining up to kiss the Kings ring

Are you talking about Don McGregors else world story in the BP annual? Cause that don't count. Nice try though
    Don't fall for it Ezyo.

That's all I'm going to say.

Hahahah

Now that there's no escaping Doom being a racist scumbag, we're moving to the stage where people want to exonerate him of it by saying it's unfair and what Hudlin wrote shouldn't count and something something 30 years ago, because only Red Skull should be the racist one!!

Yea well too bad so sad

We told the Doom-bae fans they didn't want this, even tried to change the topic by bringing up the most recent BP book, but noooooooooo ppl didn't want to let it goooo!
    but but but but it was years ago. It was a different time! Things were just different then!

Half the judging committee probably didn't even watch the movie lol.

Mathematician crunches the numbers on Black Panther, A Quiet Place's Oscar odds

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/mathem...ces-oscar-odds

See, I'd say we're doing what Batman couldn't do a decade ago, but we just got done talking about some other mytho's character, and i'm not trying to instigate things down another rabbit hole, so I wouldn't mention Batman or the Dark Knight.

That said, I guess next Tuesday is when we're going to get a big spike-up of BP movie related clickbait articles and youtube vids celebrating (or bitching about) his historic oscar nomination! How excited are we???

(I'm kinda indifferent, but i'll accept it into the trophy case)

Yep. The usual suspects will appear, tumblr quotes will be posted (who have 47 followers), passive aggressive thoughts will be shared, good times incoming.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Depending on the overall execution of the character and the plot, the panels wouldn't necessarily fly in the face of how I want Doom handled.

As an example, Hudlin's Doom said some clearly racist things. But overall I was fine with how Hudlin handled the character. He showed a clear respect as far as showcasing exactly why Doom is Doom. He had Doom beat T'Challa 2 straight in his own book.... he wrote a villain exactly how a villain should be written. As a legit threat.

As I said in another thread, I have no real issue with him saying something racist to T'Challa, anymore than I would him mind saying something sexist to Carol or something anti-American to Steve if the context works. He's a villain. Villains sometimes talk sh*t. He's try to get under the skin of the hero (and under the skin of the audience).

If he can stay true to the spirit of the character (obviously we never get exact translations into the movies and that's fine) while showing why he's the top villain in the MU EVEN if he loses in the end like most villains should, I'm completely fine with it. And I beleive based on what we saw with Killmonger, Coogler can pull it off.
    I'd argue that there's a fundamental difference between talking sh*t just to get under T'Challa's skin, and the racist, colonialist mindset that Doom's been written as having when engaging with T'Challa in several stories. If we ever got a matchup between them I think there's lost story potential in leaving Doctor Doom to be a simple megalomaniac who likes to call T'Challa mean things as opposed to exploring the racial dynamic in a way that enhances T'Challa's narrative and perpetuates key themes for the franchise.

While it's always important to display the villain as a legit threat, as there should always be a moment in fiction where all hope does look lost for the hero, when exploring the psyche of the enemy Doom seems more interesting in a BP movie when he feels entitled to Wakandan resources and genuinely feels a sense of superiority over people of African descent. It's an angle that's been supported throughout the years in the comics and one that creates an even more powerful contrast between the villain and hero.

And while I can appreciate your open-mindedness to seeing Doom depicted like he has been in those panels, I can't exactly say the comic community would react well to it, which would end up taking away from the overall story because that would end up dominating the conversation. As a BP fan I see it as not worth the trouble (even though it would be done well) when as we've discussed before, Coogler and company can repurpose and update his old rogues (as they've done amazingly with Killmonger and M'Baku) while still maintaining small cameos as other movies have. Doom is a damaged brand imo and with the affinity many fans have for him, a portrayal that deviates from what they expect and have been waiting for only invites the type of controversy that takes away from BP characters.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well....? Have you thought of the optics of a black Reed Richards? A brotha that is already the smartest man in the world aaaaaaaannd has the power to stretch any parts of his body to extreme lengths?????? The amount of national and global envy would be legendary, lol!!!!
    When the Josh Trank FF movie was coming out, I recall a lot of people were annoyed that they made Johnny black but didn't do the same to Sue. I pointed out that you'd basically be getting a black woman whose superpowers is being invisible and putting up barriers around herself which is ripe for all kinds of commentary.

Also, just to let everyone else here know, "G*psy" is a racial slur.

And yeah, Doom has no business being in a BP movie.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-19-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    The real problem with Latveria is that it does not have any beachfront property so it can get quite claustrophobic in the summer!
    Doom finds your lack of faith disturbing

The J-man