Page 65 of 744 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165565 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    You know what's weird about this BP hate for the movie nominations, people are going Blackkklans man and Moonlight are what should be promoted. It's weird as like months ago, everyone was cheering for it. And now it's not good enough. I don't hear this for Boheimian Rhapsody, or A Star is Born. So why is BP the target?
    Moonlight WON for best picture in 2017.

As to why BP is targeted now-

If you read the article in EW by Marc Bernadin-he pretty much tells you.

Look at the black films that got best picture nominations-

Color Purple
    Precious
    12 Years a Slave
    Django Unchained
    Selma
    Beast of the Southern Wild
    If Beale Street could talk
    BlackKKlans Man
    Get Out
    Moonlight
    Fences

What are they SELLING to the PUBLIC???? Black MISERY or STRUGGLE.

In other words these are the films that make certain folks COMFORTABLE. Especially those movies based on HISTORY.
    Some showed a slice of black life that certain folks felt even verified what they thought or made them think.

Black Panther is not about black misery or struggle. It does NOT make certain folks feel comfortable.
    It put FEAR into the hearts of MEN. It showed what happens when black MEN & WOMEN work together. United under one black man. A place where the WOMEN are DEADLIER than the men.
    And they did it by themselves. You just saw Black Wall Street & Rosewood on the big screen. You saw people who could take over the world without TRYING choose to be left ALONE.

The folks crying now FEAR what Pandora's box this film has opened. I am not talking just films but EVERYTHING. Look at merchandise alone. What minority hero has all this stuff? You can drink from a Panther cup, shop with a Panther bag or give Wakanda valentines. And we won't even talk Mile Morales.

You are about to have a generation of kids who don't have to wonder about seeing heroes looking like them in all media. And that SCARES folks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Lots of circumstantial evidence she won't have a big role.

Especially if the trailer wasn't a cgi misdirection
    Still no proof though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    The weird thing is, "they" wouldn't even watch it because they'll be too busy paying to watch black panther 2 just so they can complain when it makes a lot of money. Why is that?

Is this how Lebron and Floyd Mayweather feel when ppl cry about how overrated they are yet habitually tune in to their games or pay hefty ppv pricey in hopes of seeing them lose? Always mad they show a Lebron game on Christmas but yet they'll always watch the Lebron game on Christmas???

Is T'Challa joining that pantheon?

Remember, he was the most searched movie in 2018 and youtubers stay putting his name in the title and his picture in the thumbnails bc they know he generates clicks. How should we feel about this?
    I think that goes without saying, now. Marvel movie's are passing the baton, and he'll be carrying it for the foreseeable future

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Color Purple
    Precious
    12 Years a Slave
    Django Unchained
    Selma
    BlackKKlans Man
    Get Out
    Moonlight
    Fences

In other words these are the films that make certain folks COMFORTABLE. Especially those movies based on HISTORY.
    Some showed a slice of black life that certain folks felt even verified what they thought or made them think.

Black Panther is not about black misery or struggle. It does NOT make certain folks feel comfortable.
    It put FEAR into the hearts of MEN. It showed what happens when black MEN & WOMEN work together. United under one black man. A place where the WOMEN are DEADLIER than the men.
    And they did it by themselves. You just saw Black Wall Street & Rosewood on the big screen. You saw people who could take over the world without TRYING choose to be left ALONE.

The folks crying now FEAR what Pandora's box this film has opened. I am not talking just films but EVERYTHING. Look at merchandise alone. What minority hero has all this stuff? You can drink from a Panther cup, shop with a Panther bag or give Wakanda valentines. And we won't even talk Mile Morales.

You are about to have a generation of kids who don't have to wonder about seeing heroes looking like them in all media. And that SCARES folks.
    Funny that comes from Marc who said that T'Challa was a boring character in BP. Maybe repeated viewings won him over.

He's a talented writer and a nice guy. However, my gawd is there not another black writer they could have found that rated the movie higher than a 7/10??

Edit: I read the part where he said the movie won him over by the 3rd time. I get it, but still. There are somethings Marc should have "got" before the 3rd viewing. And no I'm not saying everyone has to love the movie, but just remember how distant he was with the movie during its peak hype.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 01-23-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Color Purple
    Precious
    12 Years a Slave
    Django Unchained
    Selma
    BlackKKlans Man
    Get Out
    Moonlight
    Fences

All of this here. You can't stop the hunger. People will try, they will make excuses, try to down play, try every thing they can... They can't stop the wave, it's gonna take over. Theres a reason BP is generating so much buzz and has achieved all it has

Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    All of this here. You can't stop the hunger. People will try, they will make excuses, try to down play, try every thing they can... They can't stop the wave, it's gonna take over. Theres a reason BP is generating so much buzz and has achieved all it has
    Can somebody please forward/tweet those Black Panther stats to John Campea.

The FIRST comic book film ever nominated for Best Picture yet this is what he focuses on.

Based on RESUME we should be debating if BP got snubbed for screenplay and best supporting actor. Maybe even Best Director.

Worse thing you can do with trash videos is click and watch....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yea, i thought we were done posting that garbage here... which only encourages those youtubers to post more of that garbage. By clicking and watching that, and then attempting to share it with us... you're actually doing them afavor. You're getting them paid for bashing BP

Let's not monetize their hate for BP. Let's be smarter than that
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    She listed as "missing" and it's a fake out. if she were dead they would just say it. She will be in the film more then Black Panther. ogs will not save the day. Everyone is in the film at the end for the big fight. Disney is pushing for a "women" that just code for a white women aka CM to save the day.
    I gave my speculation. You asked for evidence, so I gave what evidence there is that led me to that opinion. I don't know what else to say beyond that except that we'll know better by the end of April.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Worse thing you can do with trash videos is click and watch....
    And share them here on the BP appreciation thread... We flying high here and people can't help but search the internet for cry babies whining that their favorites couldn't do what BP has been doing since it's release. Shattering glass ceilings and records left and right

The highlight post for me was a random person on Facebook saying I wish I didn't see Black Panther two times in the Theater because now it feels like got much attention and lead to being overrated.

That perfectly sums what is happening people confirm greatness with their actions but when reality of it now is finally hitting them still don't want a Black product to be recognize as good. It is same way they treat hip hop they love it until they have to fully recognize its greatness then it is back to call it garbage music.

Off topic (fight me)

But there's a GREAT thread in the x-men forums (hear me out!) called: Why haven't any of the Black Male X-men caught on other than Bishop?

Snippets

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Which of the X-Men characters introduced after 1980 have been caricatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My point rendered in the abstract....as most axioms are.

But, now that you mention it, are you saying there haven't been X-Men characters that didn't come across as caricatures? A vampy, overtly sexual head mistress; an Asian firecracker; not one, but two Afrocentric male characters who are essentially communal leeches, wholly dependent on others to produce their powers? Need I go on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Rogue has the same ability of power absorption. I don't think there's anything offensive or stereotyped in that. If anything offensive exists with a black, Darwin is my #1 pick. lol

The black character named after a white scientist who proposed evolution. And said character's power is to adapt, aka evolve, to survive which includes him turning into a white ,man for certain periods. So basically a black man has to become a white man to survive, and it's considered evolving -implying that as a black man, he is less evolved than a white man. With all these things together, and how obvious it is, I highly doubt all this stuff is a coincidence.

But I don't see anything offensive in power absorption. Though it is interesting that 3 black characters have the ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It speaks to the false narrative that Black men are derivative; that they do not contribute new concepts or ideas; that they are not creators or inventors and do not own the means of production; that they do not have the means to survive, but for the handouts/kindness of others. This sort of thing is so subtle that most consume it without even knowing it. And then one day you look up and there's a Black Goliath, who didn't create Pym Particles. Or a War Machine, who didn't create the armor and only has it because Tony allowed it. Or Captain America/Falcon, who apparently was just leasing the shield and mantle with no option to own outright. Or Synch and Bishop, who are really no more powerful than baseline humans in the absence of someone/something to charge them.

Power mimicry in and of itself is fine, as is energy absorption, especially if we're talking about kinetic energy absorption. But given that Bishop and Synch are mutants with a near infinite number of possibilities in terms of what their powers could have been, you have to ask yourself why were they limited to being the group co-dependents. I am admittedly old and cynical, but something seems off about that, coincidental or not.
    JudicatorPrime makes an excellent point about the derivative black man. The originality and self-sufficiently of T'Challa is a large part of what makes him unique imo. Even as great as Miles is, there's still a dependency on Peter Parker for his powers and web shooters, since Miles is depicted as smart but not capable like young Pete to create his own spidey tech. I think it's also why i root for Blue Marvel, Dr. Voodoo, and Wesley's Blade so much.
    Black Panther vs Thor

I also don't like how they half-ass the phenotype of their black characters like Storm, Bishop, and Sunspot... whether it be long straight hair for bishop and storm (and let's not get started on storm..) or the skin bleach cream they give Roberto, but that's even more off topic than i intend to go
    Black Panther vs Thor

Props to Killerbee for making the thread. One more string of snippets (the ones that stood out to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is a pretty simple question, Why haven't any of Black Male X-men caught on other than Bishop? For other minority groups characters say like Asian male the answer is simple they are that many of them( Thunderbird 2nd,Indra,Sunfire?) but other day I was looking up characters they are quite bit of Black male X-characters. Here is the quick list

Sunspot
    *Manifold
    Prodigy
    Gentle
    Synch
    Darwin
    Maggot
    Triage
    Genesis
    Radius
    Beldam
    Tag
    Anarchist
    Spike

I mean the obvious answer is going to come up but I am looking more along the lines of design and impact I guess. So maybe the question is better phrased as which character when introduced did you think this character is going to be the next great X-men character?

* Manifold yes I realize he was never in thing X-men related but he trained with Gateway and he is mutant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Well are you going to say the obvious answer?

I believe:
    1/3 of them are ugly as in "perversion of form" or "I wouldn't trade my real life for that, power-set"
    1/3 of them are Zany... "Rainbow color spectrum field with with a burger king colored suit, and generic bald black guy look", and "My power is my that my sweat is acid", "Oh, my intestines are sentient war machines."
    Even the power to heal... while cool, isn't exactly the superhuman lottery imho (my opinion, I don't want to hear about how awesome it is, I know I'd just rather be phoenix, thanks)

The rest have never been on the UNCANNY X-TEAM, they've been on derivative x-groups but.... it doesn't have the same reach.

Then there is Robert.

Sunspot is black.

Some might argue, "bi-racial" but every effort to disassociate him from the black struggle because he's brazilian, should immediately cause you to raise an eye at that person.
    Thats NOT the one drop rule at play, its his first appearance that ensconced him as such, SO much and SOOO HARD that he actyally managed to stay darkskinned for decades *success*
    but the reason he's SO important is the Brazilian governments actions in the Favela the past years.

The afro-brazillians have been dealing with a genocide for a few years now and erasure of the sunspots dark skin is SUPER in line with that issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=afro...=1920&bih=1007
    ^ Just to save the you the research at least check out the titles^

Sunspot should be the leader of the X-men. Period.
    Trained by Cable. Trained by Gideon. Brought into the hellfire club. Brought onto the Avengers. Bought A.I.M. Raised at the foot of Xaviers dream.

He's Superman, or Hyperion level, the older he gets the more powerful he becomes which is likely why the externals sought him out for sooo long.... before some writer decided that. "Oops it should be cannonball that lives forever, and goes on to lead the struggle." Even the whole Reignfire thing was him, or at least based of his genetics.

Sunspot has caught on and if there weren't ALREADY plans for Cyclops to come back you could literally have the X-men be lead by a "BLACK MALE", but think... since he's masculine, straight, and dark skinned... he is far to great a threat to the "Status Quo" of the X-men. Jesus, what if Jean kisses HIM? Or maddy or Rachel, or manic pixie X-girl.
    The effects of the utter and absolute fear of black male hetero-sexuality cannot be understated in the american diaspora. So I'm shipping him with Illyana. . .

Sunspot, Illyana, Madrox. A.I.M 2019

More seriously thought.... If they can't give us an Uncanny X-title or X-men... Lead by Sunspot in 2019 after all the other things he's done this last few years? Its because they don't want, what you want in their books. -M_v

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    I think you make some very good points, here. I believe those things very much play into it, though the bolded I think is an issue in a different way. Reading between the lines in interviews, it sounds like stories are plotted out a year or better in advance at some retreat, and then writers are assigned. In short, unless you happen to be the golden child of their writers (like Bendis was, for awhile) then your ideas and the characters you, as a writer, might want to really do something with are curtailed, and it's editorially mandated who you'll focus on and who they (Marvel) want to push. I think that has a lot to do with the craptastic stories and characterization we've gotten in recent years.

I guarantee you that Bishop is "happening" now because it was mandated from editorial to push him. Same with Iceman, same with Jean, same with Kitty from Bendis to Guggenheim. Laura got the treatment for years.

To elaborate on the results mentioned: if a writer cares nothing for a character, has no understanding, empathy or interest for that character, yet someone tells him "hey, you're going to write this" -- odds are, it'll have bad results. I think black male characters can also suffer from the same thing female characters suffer from, at times, as well. The writer seems to have an inability to put himself in said character's shoes, so it can be extremely hard for the reader to relate.

For example, if you look at Wolverine, Cyclops, Havok or Cable (all who have recently led and gotten focus), as a reader you see them try and fail, you see them make mistakes, you see them struggle and do stuff that can make you cringe, but also make you want to read and see them do better next time, right? When do we have that with female characters? Sure, they have obstacles, but they're always outside influences. Jean's plan for world peace or whatever was wrecked by Cassandra Nova, not because Jean herself made a mistake. It's like a victimization of Mary Sue or something. Kitty is a terrible leader, absolutely awful and it's shown on panel, but no one calls her out on it.

How many of Bishop's screw ups have been by his own bad decisions? Was it that, or an external influence? Do you see where I'm going with this? In my opinion, for a reader to really invest in these characters, they have to be able to feel where they're coming from on some level. For that to happen, the writer has to consistently portray them that way, and that hasn't happened in quite some time. The last I can personally recall was Remender's UXF and that crew. As a reader, it was possible to feel for each and every one of those guys, even if you thought what they did was awful.

Another factor is what someone else pointed out, many on that list are just flat not appealing. The powers are uninteresting or the visuals are lacking. Triage had potential, but had no failings. There's no cost for his (arguably) godlike ability. Because of that, it's also an ability that could ruin the suspension of disbelief in an otherwise compellingly dangerous situation. "Oh, so and so is dead? Triage, fix him up." I mean, take a character like that, and make it cost him. Maybe it ages him by years every time he uses the ability. Maybe it drains his own life force, or any life around him. Make it matter, in other words.

I think that Sunspot should've been used before Cannonball, but that's just me. Bishop is already getting a push. Gentle, as Devaishwarya pointed out, would need at least a couple of years on Red to be developed into something.

I also think that Bishop has the advantage in that he was brought in as an adult to start with. For me as a reader, that alone makes him far more interesting than random teens added in. I honestly believe Bishop may have been part of the reason old guy Cable was killed off, since they are at least somewhat similar in attitude and both time travelers.
    Black Panther vs Thor