Page 47 of 744 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147547 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I'd argue that there's a fundamental difference between talking sh*t just to get under T'Challa's skin, and the racist, colonialist mindset that Doom's been written as having when engaging with T'Challa in several stories. If we ever got a matchup between them I think there's lost story potential in leaving Doctor Doom to be a simple megalomaniac who likes to call T'Challa mean things as opposed to exploring the racial dynamic in a way that enhances T'Challa's narrative and perpetuates key themes for the franchise.

While it's always important to display the villain as a legit threat, as there should always be a moment in fiction where all hope does look lost for the hero, when exploring the psyche of the enemy Doom seems more interesting in a BP movie when he feels entitled to Wakandan resources and genuinely feels a sense of superiority over people of African descent. It's an angle that's been supported throughout the years in the comics and one that creates an even more powerful contrast between the villain and hero.

And while I can appreciate your open-mindedness to seeing Doom depicted like he has been in those panels, I can't exactly say the comic community would react well to it, which would end up taking away from the overall story because that would end up dominating the conversation. As a BP fan I see it as not worth the trouble (even though it would be done well) when as we've discussed before, Coogler and company can repurpose and update his old rogues (as they've done amazingly with Killmonger and M'Baku) while still maintaining small cameos as other movies have. Doom is a damaged brand imo and with the affinity many fans have for him, a portrayal that deviates from what they expect and have been waiting for only invites the type of controversy that takes away from BP characters.
    There should be little problem in a properly written Doom feeling entitled or superior to Wakanda, since a properly written Doom feels superior and entitled to everyone. As I said, he'd feel that way for Carol or Steve too. That's just Doom (or at least the comic Doom... we'll have to wait and see what MCU Doom is like if he ever shows up).

Obviously we're just speaking hypothetically and I don't know how Doom would be used or what sort of response the community might have. All I can say is given what we've seen, I'm willing to give Coogler the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason not to. IF he chooses to use the character (and again for the record I'm not expecting at the moment), I believe he'll use the character well for the benefit of BOTH BP and Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Funny how much people need BP to help their favorite characters, or boost ratings on their tv broadcasts and the like when not too long ago people were sure that BP would be Marvel's first flop, Cap, Bucky, Avengers etc would save the day, majority black cast movie's that aren't inner city or slave movie's don't sell and whatever else
    Now everyone is lining up to kiss the Kings ring

Are you talking about Don McGregors else world story in the BP annual? Cause that don't count. Nice try though
    I'll admit it's been awhile since I read that. Did something in it confirm that it was an elseworld story? I know the Hudlin story obviously was.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When the Josh Trank FF movie was coming out, I recall a lot of people were annoyed that they made Johnny black but didn't do the same to Sue. I pointed out that you'd basically be getting a black woman whose superpowers is being invisible and putting up barriers around herself which is ripe for all kinds of commentary.
    I think that had more to do with the fact that they are supposed to be, you know, siblings, and having Johnny be a different race from Sue (requiring an extraneous handwave) just came off as forced.

I wouldn't mind seeing a black Reed Richards, although it would cause some hiccups if/when they decided to use Adam Brashear. I mean, in some ways, Adam LOOKS like a black Reed:

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I think that had more to do with the fact that they are supposed to be, you know, siblings, and having Johnny be a different race from Sue (requiring an extraneous handwave) just came off as forced.

I wouldn't mind seeing a black Reed Richards, although it would cause some hiccups if/when they decided to use Adam Brashear. I mean, in some ways, Adam LOOKS like a black Reed:

I didn't want to say anything but yeah... my first thought when people suggested a black Reed was they might end up doing a mash up with Adam and Reed. Sort of like how marvel ended up mashing up Bucky and White Wolf. Adam already is losing a bit of distinctness due to Captain Marvel not only having the same last name but also being a forgotten heroe from the past. Reed visually looking like the character would sort of add to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Is it bad that i now want to see Yemandi in the comics? I like her look it's very badass and unique. Like a Wakandan book going through the rulers of the past

Are you talking about Don McGregors else world story in the BP annual? Cause that don't count. Nice try though
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Don't fall for it Ezyo.

That's all I'm going to say.
    Hahaha

Quoting for emphasis

We dont need that toxic BP/Wakanda bashing in the BP Appreciation thread, just ignore it.

We'll just keep focus on appreciating BP, including that wonderful clip about Yemandi the GOAT!
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Hahaha

Quoting for emphasis

We dont need that toxic BP/Wakanda bashing in the BP Appreciation thread, just ignore it.

We'll just keep focus on appreciating BP, including that wonderful clip about Yemandi the GOAT!
    indeed, hence why I stopped replying, no need to get baited.

But Yemandi just seems bad ass. Straight up.

Redjack is really building up this world

It's the real, authentic
    leaving y'all dented
    forget what ya heard

if i said it, i MEANT it
    Last edited by Redjack; 01-19-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post

It's the real, authentic
    leaving y'all dented
    forget what ya heard

if i said it, i MEANT it
    Is that Shuri inn disguise or a different character with the same voice actor?

go up thread. there's a whole video about who it is and who she is.

This might be my new favorite BP panel lol

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

indeed, hence why I stopped replying, no need to get baited.
    In truth the mods should do something about that type of toxic habitual bp/wakanda bait bashing, but for now we can only do our part by documenting these numerous troll attempts while also keeping things focused on appreciating Bp and Wakanda in this BP Appreciation thread; despite the presence of ppl who come here to instigate anti-BP rhetoric but never to appreciate. We'll put a stop to this BP bashing toxicity soon enough; they can make a separate BP unappreciation thread for all that noise!

But Yemandi just seems bad ass. Straight up.

Redjack is really building up this world
    Agreed, Mr. Thorne is pulling all the stops. And a lot of these ideas are ripe for the cinematic. I hope Coogler is watching.

Zanda has star power written all over her, and Yemandi might be next!
    Black Panther vs Thor

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This might be my new favorite BP panel lol

BP whooped them 3 on 1 without the suit while letting it be known that this was light work! We're finally moving away from BP only beating up no name garbage red shirts, now he's making these high profile characters with movies and TV shows look like red shirts! In the comics. It's lit!
    Black Panther vs Thor

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Speaking of Zanda, I like what Redjack did by giving her abilities to shapeshift and all that. I think if she ever comes back into comics this should definitely follow suit, BUT I would make Zanda more of a mystic. Think of her as that kind of "turns men into beasts" sorceress but she does it more to herself. She uses magic to impersonate people and can turn into animals from time to time (I'd avoid that bit as much as possible to avoid Vixen comparisons). She should also have that martial artist edge to her so she can keep up with Panther, the Dora Milaje etc and I'd make her personality a lot more akin to Princess Azula from The Last Airbender (cunning, ruthless and egotistic), and with a mix of Hela from the MCU (charming and entitled).