Page 59 of 744 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159559 ... LastLast

So today is the day we do (or don't) get nominated for best picture at the oscars?

It's still funny how getting "nominated" is this big deal.

Like James Harden getting nominated for MVP consideration, but not actually winning MVP.

It's like a participation award

But if it's really that big a deal that means something to people, then I suppose I can play along and gas it up if BP gets nominated for it, or alternatively fuel the flames of outrage if he doesn't. I'm down for whichever
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#168b2b6f4257
    ----
    Aside from the blockbuster musicals and the likes of Black Panther (whose possible inclusion, at this point, means more for Walt Disney's ability to sell one of their blockbusters into the Best Picture circle than it does for the already "zeitgeisty-immortal" Ryan Coogler/Joe Robert Cole superhero drama), the majority of the Oscar contenders are fighting for the mere "privilege" of mattering in a Netflix-and-Chill era. Green Book, BlacKkKlansman (which was a moderate hit with $89 million worldwide on a $15m budget), Vice, The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk are fighting for validation because the Oscar nominations (and eventual wins) arguably mean more this year with a slew of financially underperforming would-be nominees. When a three-star melodrama like Green Book and a problematic/critically-mixed crowdpleaser like Bohemian Rhapsody end up coming out as the front-runners, it matters more.

That doesn't mean that I think it won't be a little embarrassing if Bohemian Rhapsody wins Best Picture or if Peter Farrelly wins Best Director. But had all of these films been box office hits, I'd argue that whether or not they were recognized by the Academy would be about as important as it is (respectively) for the likes of Black Panther, Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place.

But in an era where The Mule and The Upside will outgross every single non-musical year-end Oscar contender, and where... my god... Dragon Ball Super: Boly ($21 million in six days of limited release) will outgross the vast majority of the would-be year-end contenders, yeah, the Oscars are both more and less important than ever before.
    ---

My biggest takeaway from this Forbes article is that there's a Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie out in theaters
    Black Panther vs Thor

First superhero movie nominated for best picture y’all!
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Black panther got 8 award nods!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Just getting nominated is going to boost its appeal, so I'll be very surprised now if we don't get Black Panther 2 for May or November 2020... Disney might even use the Oscars and the appearance of the Marvel casts to announce Black Panther 2's release date.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    So today is the day we do (or don't) get nominated for best picture at the oscars?

It's still funny how getting "nominated" is this big deal.

Like James Harden getting nominated for MVP consideration, but not actually winning MVP.

It's like a participation award

But if it's really that big a deal that means something to people, then I suppose I can play along and gas it up if BP gets nominated for it, or alternatively fuel the flames of outrage if he doesn't. I'm down for whichever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#168b2b6f4257
    ----
    Aside from the blockbuster musicals and the likes of Black Panther (whose possible inclusion, at this point, means more for Walt Disney's ability to sell one of their blockbusters into the Best Picture circle than it does for the already "zeitgeisty-immortal" Ryan Coogler/Joe Robert Cole superhero drama), the majority of the Oscar contenders are fighting for the mere "privilege" of mattering in a Netflix-and-Chill era. Green Book, BlacKkKlansman (which was a moderate hit with $89 million worldwide on a $15m budget), Vice, The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk are fighting for validation because the Oscar nominations (and eventual wins) arguably mean more this year with a slew of financially underperforming would-be nominees. When a three-star melodrama like Green Book and a problematic/critically-mixed crowdpleaser like Bohemian Rhapsody end up coming out as the front-runners, it matters more.

That doesn't mean that I think it won't be a little embarrassing if Bohemian Rhapsody wins Best Picture or if Peter Farrelly wins Best Director. But had all of these films been box office hits, I'd argue that whether or not they were recognized by the Academy would be about as important as it is (respectively) for the likes of Black Panther, Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place.

But in an era where The Mule and The Upside will outgross every single non-musical year-end Oscar contender, and where... my god... Dragon Ball Super: Boly ($21 million in six days of limited release) will outgross the vast majority of the would-be year-end contenders, yeah, the Oscars are both more and less important than ever before.
    ---

My biggest takeaway from this Forbes article is that there's a Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie out in theaters
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Black panther got 8 award nods!
    I don't even care about awards peronally. But it does matter to people in the actual business and it does matter for all those black people behind the scenes for the movie. so, woot.

all I care about is yelling, "SCOREBOARD!" when people pull the "overrated" routine

btw, prepare for the flood of hate incoming. Don't be stupid!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Best Picture, Production Design, Costume Design, Original Score, Original Song, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing

If it doesn't win Costume Design and Score, we riot

Shout out to Miles too. We see you young one.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 01-22-2019 at 06:58 AM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

The best thing about all this is that you can't take any of this away from it. It will be a 7-Oscar nominated superhero film for all time.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

We fricking did it fam!

Coogler fricking DID IT!!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I never get why anyone could hate on Black Panther, honestly it's great because it's a well made and distinctive super hero movie first that just happens to have a virtually all black cast. I loved it, but I know black audiences would love it for their own reasons too, and good for them. Like I said, it's great they've had a nomination regardless of if they win or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I don't remember a Crocodile god, but I'm sure I'm missing it. I would argue that Marvel originally had Wakanda as henotheistic. They worshiped one god (the panther god) but recognized that other gods not worthy of worship existed. That being said, I'm not even 100% clear on this. I get the impression that worshipers of the White Gorilla cult did not believe in the panther god and vice versa. Additionally, the White Gorilla cult seemed to be based on actually seeing and fearing the monstrous white gorillas in the mountains.

It's the lion god more than anything else that I'm questioning. I don't recall any active lion god cult. It seemed to me that the presentation of the lion god is almost something that's been forgotten. The god saw itself as a rival to the panther god, but I'm not sure if it had any real worshipers or active cult. The lion god has also been retconned to be an Egyptian female deity. She specifically becomes Sekhmet (who I believe is a form of Hathor) who may be one of the cooler Egyptian gods.
    Hudlin had the lion cult show up for like a second at the end of his run, but he strangely didn't actually do anything with them apart from having Morlun kill them off. I wonder if Hudlin was trying to retcon Morlun into the Lion God.

Attachment 77367
    Last edited by XPac; 01-22-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    The best thing about all this is that you can't take any of this away from it. It will be a 7-Oscar nominated superhero film for all time.
    700 mil domestic
    1.344 billion WW
    A+ Cinemascore

97% RT score
    8.2/10 RT rating
    100% Top Critics RT score
    8.9/10 Top Critics RT Rating
    88 metacritic score

Oscar nominated
    MTV Award winner
    Teen Choice Award Winner
    Peoples Choice Award Winner
    BET Award Winner
    Satellite Award Winner
    Critics Choice Award Winner

Dominated the money (aka the audience), dominated the critics, dominated awards

Movies bulletproof
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 01-22-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Just getting nominated is going to boost its appeal, so I'll be very surprised now if we don't get Black Panther 2 for May or November 2020... Disney might even use the Oscars and the appearance of the Marvel casts to announce Black Panther 2's release date.
    It's a pretty big deal. Super hero movies really don't get nominated for the BIG awards. Some of the techncial stuff like maybe make up or costumes sure, but never best picture. So yeah, win lose or draw it's making history.

Damn, at this point i'm gonna start forgetting accolodates whenever i'm talkin that ****..

I'll have to make a list for a quick copy/paste

edit - MoS was waaaay ahead of me lmao

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    700 mil domestic
    1.344 billion WW

97% RT score
    8.2/10 RT rating
    100% Top Critics RT score
    8.9/10 Top Critics RT Rating
    88 metacritic score

Oscar nominated
    MTV Award winner
    Teen Choice Award Winner
    Peoples Choice Award Winner
    BET Award Winner
    Satellite Award Winner
    Critics Choice Award Winner

Dominated the money (aka the audience), dominated the critics, dominated awards

Movies bulletproof
    edit #2 -

Also A+ Cinemascore from audiences leaving the theater. Was the first superhero movie to receive that since OG Avengers.
    Last edited by Rumble; 01-22-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Black Panther vs Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I never get why anyone could hate on Black Panther, honestly it's great because it's a well made and distinctive super hero movie first that just happens to have a virtually all black cast. I loved it, but I know black audiences would love it for their own reasons too, and good for them. Like I said, it's great they've had a nomination regardless of if they win or not.
    Well said and thank you
    Black Panther vs Thor